Windows 7 update destroys(nearly) everything: 19kb of death

brownninja97

Dude, by the time you got to the busted update it will have been re-released all fixed up and ready to go. B)

EDIT: either that or win 10 will be officially released. :ph34r:

My Aussie Internet is actually good now, I could smash 1.5GB in no time

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

My Aussie Internet is actually good now, I could smash 1.5GB in no time

of course, the average DSL connection is above 8Mb/s now (according to some it is 12Mb/s),  but I was just joking because you have 1.5GB of updates you haven't done,  by the time you actually decide to do it you may as well just buy win 10.  :) 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My pc refuses to even update to sp1

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Windows 8.1 is good, use that.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Windows 8.1 is good, use that.

No and No it's not, it's horrible. I downloaded the update yesterday and have had no issue with my pc at all.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

No and No it's not, it's horrible. I downloaded the update yesterday and have had no issue with my pc at all.

its not horrible, its basically W7 but faster. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Windows 8.1 is significantly better than 7. I have used both for years. Windows 8.1 is not the same as Windows 8, people need to understand that.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I'm running windows 7 and appear to have KB3004394, but none of the symptoms listed. However, I also appear to have KB3024777, which seems to be an update to roll back the changes caused by KB3004394, so Microsoft have now fixed the issue.

HTTP/2 203

I'm running windows 7 and appear to have KB3004394, but none of the symptoms listed. However, I also appear to have KB3024777, which seems to be an update to roll back the changes caused by KB3004394, so Microsoft have now fixed the issue.

Ive not had any problems on my own pc, my fathers pc(editing rig) cant install stuff namely the omega drivers. My friend's pc seems to have commit suicide.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Ive not had any problems on my own pc, my fathers pc(editing rig) cant install stuff namely the omega drivers. My friend's pc seems to have commit suicide.

Make sure they install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777 (there's a direct download link on that page because Windows Update is also apparently broken by the changes EDIT: actually they don't seem to have a win7 link there for some reason).

HTTP/2 203

Get Windows 8.1 and be done with it. 

Yeah because spending £60 on something that is ALMOST IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY just to avoid one update makes an arse-tonne of sense.

Yeah because spending £60 on something that is ALMOST IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY just to avoid one update makes an arse-tonne of sense.

or you could just... not buy it, and not complain...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Make sure they install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777 (there's a direct download link on that page because Windows Update is also apparently broken by the changes EDIT: actually they don't seem to have a win7 link there for some reason).

yeah ive done that for my father, about my friend, he can sort that out himself. I trust he knows how to.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

How the heck could something like this happen? I think Microsoft is really angry about people not getting their latest OS's...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I don't even know why people are making a big deal out of this anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hmm... I'm running 3 Windows 7 PCs with this update installed since yesterday evening, not a single issue.  :rolleyes:

Must be very context dependent.

Completely breaks virtual pcs from being created Works
Prevents installing new programs Works just fine
• Some chances of administrator abilities suddenly vanishing Hmm, CBA checking
Security essentials/ windows defender breaking Running smoothly
Malwarebytes losing its sh** because windows is trying to prevent it from launching and chameleon kicks in. Nope, works fine
• Refusal to uninstall that patch Skipping this
Youtube not working over 1080p 4K works just fine

Cheers,

Linus

Wow, and to think I always get shit for disabling updates. There are legitimate reasons for refusing updates except for full service packs, namely that when developers can simply release another update any time they put less effort into making sure their "updates" don't break things. A very basic fact of computing is that while updates may address known issues, they always manage to break something else. If this wasn't the case we wouldn't need constant updates. While you all have fun with your broken operating systems, I'll be sitting back sipping my coffee and utilizing my completely stable stock installation of Windows 7 SP1 to its fullest. I'll look forward to these updates when Microsoft finally irons out enough bugs for SP2.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I don't even know why people are making a big deal out of this anyway.

because thats what you do on the internet... complain about things that are just your opinion and present it like its peer reviewed fact. right? :P

Windows 8.1 is significantly better than 7. I have used both for years. Windows 8.1 is not the same as Windows 8, people need to understand that.

I have windows 8.1 on one of my machines it still has the horrid metro UI in fact by default it's interface is pretty much identical to windows 8 horrible. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I have windows 8.1 on one of my machines it still has the horrid metro UI in fact by default it's interface is pretty much identical to windows 8 horrible. 

and it takes about 5 seconds to download start8 and not have to deal with metro ever. stop fucking complaining over things that are less important than me not taking a piss this morning....

I'm not complaining. I'm saying that advising someone to spend £60 on this problem is a stupid suggestion.

I don't mind Windows 8.1. The only thing about it I find horrible is that you can't look at a document open in an app and a document open in the desktop at the same time, without constantly switching between the interfaces. That is infuriating. it is absolutely not worth the cost of upgrading from Windows 7, though, it's just not different enough.

I'm not complaining. I'm saying that advising someone to spend £60 on this problem is a stupid suggestion.

yes, but you dont need to spend that much ;) you can get 8.1 keys for 14€... or you can do dreamspark, if youre a student... or yarr, or just deal with it and not complain on a forum, where ultimately, noone cares about you

its not horrible, its basically W7 but faster. 

Except it looks identical to windows 8 just with a start button that opens the stupid metro UI. It's fine on a touch screen laptop where I run it but even then not great. It's one upside over win7 is the faster boot times but my pc boots in about 11 seconds anyway.