Windows 7 update destroys(nearly) everything: 19kb of death

brownninja97

This affected my setup. Couldn't install programs until I restored. That is the only effect I noticed.

Case: Node 304 - CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.5 - GPU: GTX 980 ti - Mobo: Asus z77 Deluxe - I - CPU Cooler: H100i - Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 (2x8gb) - PSU - Evga 600w - SSD - 256gb Samsung 840 evo - Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire rapid - Monitor: 34UM95

This affected my setup. Couldn't install programs until I restored. That is the only effect I noticed.

The worst part is, the computers at the school I work at don't have system restore enabled. So... Yeah. That would be fun.

They unsupported a few old phones. So what? For the most part they keep it pretty well. Not like other companies haven't done worse in the past.

I don't know.... I have people at school with their iPhone 4S, where the camera got worst and the phone can no longer auto-rotate anymore. Not to mention have this "other" disk space consumption that increases over time, and can't be cleared out unless you do a format. Something that was not an issue before. If 1 person with the problem, you can say that maybe, something is wrong with the phone. But 3 of them, and one of them did the big adventure to downgrade and now all her problem is fixed... that is strange to me.

Also, while this is only speculative, people search soon after a new iOS for their phone is released, on why their phone is slow.

Source (again - only speculation): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2709502/Does-Apple-deliberately-slow-old-models-new-release-Searches-iPhone-slow-spike-ahead-launches.html

That is all I am saying.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is if Microsoft wanted people to move to Windows 8, it will jeopardize Windows 10 sales, which the company doesn't want to. So far, it looks like that Microsoft puts a lot of energy in making Windows 10 the best Windows, to exactly have Windows 7, and 8 users both upgrade to Windows 10, and also be in time with business 6-year upgrade cycle, hence why one of the focus on Windows 10, much like Windows 7 was, was not experimentation per se, but rather polishing, cleaning up, and have enterprise (including Power User and IT) focused features. Much like I said before Windows 8 was released, Windows 8 won't do very well, as business won't be upgrading it as they just upgraded to Windows 7, and Steve Ballmer even said, even before anyone new anything about Windows 8, that it would be the riskiest version of Windows they ever released. True, it was. Still impressed that Microsoft had the balls to try and innovate based on market trends at the time of development of Windows 8 (which didn't happen as expectation, hence why Windows 8 didn't do well with home users either).

So, I say it right now, expect Windows 11 to be taking risk, and innovate. It may work, it may not. Who knows what Microsoft has will have planned for it, and if it will work or not, but businesses won't be upgrading to it, so it won't do as good as Windows 10. We have to see if Home users will upgrade.

The worst part is, the computers at the school I work at don't have system restore enabled. So... Yeah. That would be fun.

Really? If so, I think they should get a new IT staff then. One that knows what they are doing, and can read Microsoft documentation.

Well uh, it's good I don't have it set to autoupdate windows. I think.

My college requires me to but they let me have some work around so that it doesn't auto restart when it install updates. I can leave that little prompt that says it will restart in ten minutes there over night and it still will be there in the morning

Really? If so, I think they should get a new IT staff then. One that knows what they are doing, and can read Microsoft documentation.

Unfortunately it's a public school, and the US government isn't allowed to have officials with both power and common sense. They lock out all accounts except admin from updating the virus definitions, and even the admin account can't do it half the time.

Unfortunately it's a public school, and the US government isn't allowed to have officials with both power and common sense. They lock out all accounts except admin from updating the virus definitions, and even the admin account can't do it half the time.

Oh, that is high school. That's ok. I have yet to find a high school in Canada that have a really competent IT staff OR have proper resources to allow to do things right. From what I am being told, all I can say it is that it seams to be usually 1-2 person in charge, and if its a small school, one of them teaches as well, and not much effort is done due lack of time, caring, or resources. I have also heard that some even supposed to maintain the school web site, despite not being a web developer hence why you can have problems growing over time, or the site looks like 1995 website or never updated (usually non-expensive private school, and public schools, and small schools). Of course they are always exceptions. But all to say, it is a lack of resources. Usually people that are really good, won't settle for a low wage, is my assumption, hence not willing to work in a high school, or it is simply not interesting to them.

Maybe time to go back to Vista?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't know.... I have people at school with their iPhone 4S, where the camera got worst and no longer auto-rotate anymore. Not to mention have this "other" disk space consumption that increases over time, and can't be cleared out unless you do a format. Something that was not an issue before. 1 person with the problem, you can say that maybe, just maybe, something is wrong with the phone. But 3 of them, and one of them did the big adventure to downgrade and now all her problem is fixed... that is strange to me.

Also, while this is only speculative, people search soon after a new iOS for their phone is released, on why their phone is slow.

Source (again - only speculation): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2709502/Does-Apple-deliberately-slow-old-models-new-release-Searches-iPhone-slow-spike-ahead-launches.html

That is all I am saying.

If Microsoft wanted people to move to Windows 8, it will jeopardize Windows 10 sales, which the company doesn't want to. So far, it looks like that Microsoft puts a lot of energy in making Windows 10 the best Windows, to exactly have Windows 7, and 8 users both upgrade to Windows 10, and also in time with business 6-year upgrade cycle, hence why one of the focus on Windows 10, much like Windows 7 was, was not experimentation, but rather polishing, cleaning up, and enterprise (including Power User and IT) focused features. Much like I said before Windows 8 was released, Windows 8 wont' do very well, as business won't be upgrading it as they just upgraded to Windows 7, and Steve Ballmer even said, even before anyone new anything about Windows 8, that it would be the riskiest version of Windows they ever released. True, it was. Still impressed that Microsoft had the balls to try and innovate based on market trends at the time of development of Windows 8 (which didn't happen as expectation, hence why Windows 8 didn't do well with home users either).

So I say it right now, expect Windows 11 to be taking a risk, and innovate. It may work, it may not. Who knows what Microsoft has will have planned for it, and if it will work or not.

No it won't. What do most of the people complain about on 8? The Start Bar. These people have no idea classic shell exists and MS is happy they are ignorant. What is MS's main advertising campaign on 10? "We listened to you (lie) START BAR. Every single article I have seen promoting 10 has included the Start Bar while these "journalists" fail to inform the public that classic shell even exists.

The rest of the MS sales pitch crap you wrote I ignored. They didn't risk jack with 8. They are going to get people on a sub fee now and the major selling point is something they refused to give people on 8. They are still mad people skipped Vista and want people on a 2 year upgrade payment plan expense, instead of 4-5 which is what most people did with XP and 7. This is about more money. Painting it as anything else is laughable. 

If MS really wanted Metro to succeed, they would have done things like integrate Xbox controller navigation in the Metro interface, which we need ANOTHER third party program to do that people have no idea exists. That would have been a "killer feature" for  the tons of people that use a PC as a "console" on a TV. This third party feature still sucks, because MS could have integrated a virtual keyboard with their controller (just like their console).

http://xbstart.info/download.htm

They also would have made the Xbox One wireless controller work on Windows, or use the older proprietary signal or offer a PC version. You can't even buy the MS wireless receiver at local stores that supports 4 wireless Xbox 360 controllers. You have to order the thing on Amazon and many people don't even know it exists and that MS still makes an official version.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

They also would have included voice com navigation from cheap webcams/microphones to launch games and programs. All of this wouldn't have risked anything, would have been EASY AS HELL TO IMPLEMENT and everyone told them in the 8 beta to also include a functional start bar. The OS (8/8.1) would have sold like hotcakes. It had a faster boot, which is awesome for a "console" PC. Will they do all this on 10? They damn well better if they want people to pay a sub fee, which is the only logical reason I can see for not doing these things on Windows 8 (and I believe this was all purposely with held to get us on a subscription fee) when PC Gaming is growing like crazy and PC's are being substituted for consoles and mini itx exists. I don't know anyone who is a personal friend or family member who uses Microsoft Office. They use Open Office because it is free and things like clip art is useless now in the internet age (which MS just stated). So Linus saying oh it will be great cus of Office in his WAN show. No. That means nothing to a lot of people. I could care less about Office and the less cloud dependence or integration the better. MS can't even protect it's Azure Xbox servers. The only time many people actually buy Office is when they are required to in college for courses and they get it at a student discount. MS paints that as "helping education" when it is about getting people using their product so they can be dependent on it for life. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Oh, that is high school. That ok. I have yet found a high school in Canada that have a competent IT staff. It usually 1-2 person in charge, and if its a small school, one of them teaches as well, and not much effort is done. I have also heard that some even supposed to maintain the school web site, despite not being a web developer hence why you can have problems growing over time, or the site looks like ass or never updated (usually non-expensive private school, and public schools, and small schools). Of course they are always exceptions. But all to say, it is a lack of resources. Usually people that are really good, won't settle for a low wage, is my assumption.

I'm the only tech at the school, and I'm an intern. An inter who is still in college and can only work part-time. It's pretty nuts, but they allocate budgets in such a ridiculous way. I also can't just re-enable system restore due to the way that things are locked down. It has to be done through group policy, and I just don't have time to do that for every single computer. Though, I just realized that the computers are actually all safe because the images all have Windows Update disabled on non-Admin accounts as well. Why? Because logic. They also have YouTube blocked in 2014. Yeah, because that totally has no teaching benefits... I sometimes want to just go to central bitchslap everyone there.

I'm the only tech at the school, and I'm an intern. An inter who is still in college and can only work part-time. It's pretty nuts, but they allocate budgets in such a ridiculous way. I also can't just re-enable system restore due to the way that things are locked down. It has to be done through group policy, and I just don't have time to do that for every single computer. Though, I just realized that the computers are actually all safe because the images all have Windows Update disabled on non-Admin accounts as well. Why? Because logic. They also have YouTube blocked in 2014. Yeah, because that totally has no teaching benefits... I sometimes want to just go to central bitchslap everyone there.

Site blocking is usually due to parents complaining, much like toys being banned in schools.

Parents complain, a quick solution is found instead of educating the parents, to solve the problem quickly.

GPO's (Group Policy), are usually assignment by computer groups, not every single computer one-by-one.

Just something to read up on. I would suggest to find books and/or Microsoft own resources.

Microsoft also has some free books that might interest you for other things as well: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2014/07/10/over-1-million-free-microsoft-ebooks-given-away-in-2-days-and-soon-to-be-2-million.aspx

Shit, was it on purpose to move people to wijn 8.1? My malware bytes works fine but the thumbnail is missing for some reason. 

What the hell happened at Microsoft? Did someone have a stroke while programming the new update?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Maybe unrelated, but a laptop I have updated to it and my LMB just stopped working.

Maybe it's time to consider Windows 8?

Haha, I did have it and loved it. But I got it as an upgrade from the MS store. When I upgraded to 8.1 I had a lot of issues with it, so I went back to 7 to then upgrade to 8 again. I couldn't find where I wrote down my key, I couldn't find the email with the key, I couldn't find it in my gmail account which I forwarded it to. I couldn't find any record of purchase on my MS account and I couldn't find  anything in my statements when I checked online banking (the only thing I can think of is if I used paypal, but I don't know if MS accepts it). It's like there is no proof I ever even owned it. I may have just imagined using it for like a whole year. :D

Still, going back to Windows 7 sucked. Even now I just can't get used to how crappy it is, so I'm going to wait for the new OS to come out and just buy the full version of it.

wanna know what a fail is, you quoting the op and not removing the content as that wastes space mobile users want to kill you.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

wanna know what a fail is, you quoting the op and not removing the content as that wastes space mobile users want to kill you.

not just mobile that shit is annoying on desktops to, i hope the next ipb auto eliminate images when quoting, that should help alleviate this shit

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Killing it's a bit drastic, maybe just torture like force you to listen to bad karaoke singers for 10 hours

-------

Current Rig

-------

Site blocking is usually due to parents complaining, much like toys being banned in schools.

Parents complain, a quick solution is found instead of educating the parents, to solve the problem quickly.

GPO's (Group Policy), are usually assignment by computer groups, not every single computer one-by-one.

Just something to read up on. I would suggest to find books and/or Microsoft own resources.

Microsoft also has some free books that might interest you for other things as well: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2014/07/10/over-1-million-free-microsoft-ebooks-given-away-in-2-days-and-soon-to-be-2-million.aspx

Sorry, I meant... something else. I think. Similar interface... Uh... I'll need to double check my documents, since there was something non-standard about either that or windows update. Either way, there isn't a school-wide domain, so it has to be done one-by-one.

I had trouble updating the AMD driver too, but uninstalling the existing driver and doing a fresh install works perfectly. Good thing System Restore is a thing.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Please lets not argue over bloody OS 

There are personal preferences, however the most part about people hating over win 8 was because it was just too new. No time to adjust to a completely new OS plus the square thing icons can be confusing win 8 is great for phones but not for computers because for the most part am sure non of us have touch screen monitors.......

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT