Windows 7 update destroys(nearly) everything: 19kb of death

brownninja97

and it takes about 5 seconds to download start8 and not have to deal with metro ever. stop fucking complaining over things that are less important than me not taking a piss this morning....

Except it looks identical to windows 8 just with a start button that opens the stupid metro UI. It's fine on a touch screen laptop where I run it but even then not great. It's one upside over win7 is the faster boot times but my pc boots in about 11 seconds anyway.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

yes, but you dont need to spend that much ;) you can get 8.1 keys for 14€... or you can do dreamspark, if youre a student... or yarr, or just deal with it and not complain on a forum, where ultimately, noone cares about you

It's not about me. Consumer advice was given. Consumer advice was awful. Get off your high horse.

Windows 8.1 is fine, but it's perfectly reasonable for Windows 7 users to not want to spend the time/money (yet).

/thread?

and it takes about 5 seconds to download start8 and not have to deal with metro ever. stop fucking complaining over things that are less important than me not taking a piss this morning....

I wasn't complaining I was just saying no to using windows 8.1 regardless of how good you claim it to be it's still shit by default why would I switch to something I have to mod to make tolerable when win7 is perfectly fine as is. 

You could quit complaining that others don't want to use the steaming pile of shit that is windows 8/8.1  

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

It's not about me. Consumer advice was given. Consumer advice was awful. Get off your high horse.

no it wasnt awful, 8.1 is worth every cent in those 60€. just the fact that you think its bad doesnt mean it is, it just means youre ignorant and cant be bothered to install one small program that fixes everything that you think is wrong with it.

if anyone is on a high horse its you, for being pretentious and bashing 8.1 for no reason

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I wasn't complaining I was just saying no to using windows 8.1 regardless of how good you claim it to be it's still shit by default why would I switch to something I have to mod to make tolerable when win7 is perfectly fine as is. 

because 7 is slow and on its last year (i believe its year) of support. and if you cant be bothered to take 5 seconds of your time while you are installing chrome/firefox (which btw is also modding, if you wanted stock, youd use IE) to install start8 and get rid of metro altogether. 

because 7 is slow and on its last year (i believe its year) of support. and if you cant be bothered to take 5 seconds of your time while you are installing chrome/firefox (which btw is also modding, if you wanted stock, youd use IE) to install start8 and get rid of metro altogether. 

Lmfao why the hell do I give a shit if it's on its last year of support? Win7 is slow? Not with systems specs like mine it isn't. Why the hell can't you accept we think it's junk? I'll bother formating and installing a new OS when windows 10 is released not before I'm not about to spend hours downloading updates and the few games that I'll have to reinstall from scratch (Mechwarrior Online for example) just because you say so. (BTW Installing other browsers isn't modding) 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I'm not complaining. I'm saying that advising someone to spend £60 on this problem is a stupid suggestion.

I don't mind Windows 8.1. The only thing about it I find horrible is that you can't look at a document open in an app and a document open in the desktop at the same time, without constantly switching between the interfaces. That is infuriating. it is absolutely not worth the cost of upgrading from Windows 7, though, it's just not different enough.

You can do this. You can partition the screen into up to 4 parts with Metro apps or desktop apps in any order. And Its available in the Windows 10 Tech Preview as well.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

haha I love how he says people may die, then some pretty bad stuff. Also youtube doesn't do 1080 anymore.

And those who say maybe it's time for win8: I warn you I updated this week to 8.1. A lot of software is not compatible with 8.1 I have at least one program and 2 drivers not willing to install because I have 8.1 now :(.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Windows 8.1 PRO FTW!!!!!

Edit: i get 8 second boot times on a hard drive with a shit load of stuff running and I kinda like the features, only thing I hate is metro...

If you have win7 installed already, you can buy a cheap ass Win 8.1 retail key on the internet for £20 and do an auto-upgrade and activate it. All you need is a MS account, it even keeps your settings and your programs if you want. So glad I upgraded, I'm much more productive with Win 8.1.

Awesome logic in this thread.

MS breaks a previous OS, so the advice? Go out and buy Windows 8.1 which they will break to get you on Windows 10. 

Other than that? Outright lies in this thread? Win 7 is supported until 2020. As far as it losing "features" in 2015? That is BS because MS stopped that long before 2015. Windows 7 never got DX 11.1/.2. 

Buy Windows 8? Nah. Consider a class action law suit and stop bending over for this company if it effected your business. China is suing MS for tax evasion, MS would be sued for it in the U.S. but they lobby so much money that will never happen. Buying Windows 8 if this patch screwed things up for you is like an abused wife going to pick up her husband a case of beer. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

no it wasnt awful, 8.1 is worth every cent in those 60€. just the fact that you think its bad doesnt mean it is, it just means youre ignorant and cant be bothered to install one small program that fixes everything that you think is wrong with it.

if anyone is on a high horse its you, for being pretentious and bashing 8.1 for no reason

OP's complaint was about one update to Windows 7. Two people suggested that a £60 fix for this one issue was the way forward. You're letting your WIndows 8.1 fanboyism get in the way of everything you know about economics and budgeting. Lose the knee jerk emotional response and actually read what I'm saying.

I am intrigued as to what part of my comment about liking Windows 8.1 but not finding it different enough to warrant spending money on, and certainly not purely because of this ONE ISSUE OP has, was "bashing it".

I HOPE it's not a bs tactic to convince people to buy windows 8 with 10 around the corner...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Good thing I'm on 8.1 lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I HOPE it's not a bs tactic to convince people to buy windows 8 with 10 around the corner...

Well seeing MS is being sued for tax evasion, is giving away 8.1 for FREE on small devices and 10 as well to get developers to use DirectX, when they were pretty much exclusively using OpenGL for everything on small device apps?

They got to make their money back somehow. They prob took huge losses on those Xbox bundles just to get the device into peoples homes as well. Subscription fee on 10. Sabotage 7. Have their little slappies/shareholders advise people to upgrade to 8 and resort to outright lies on this forum. Windows 7 has security updates until 2020 not 2015. 

Not an issue for me. I expected this crap from MS and turned off updates a long time ago. Not like I use IE or Windows Defender anyways. Both are a joke and the back doors in MS OS's do not disappear with patches anyways lol. Hell 8 probably has more...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

8iOlmmC.gif

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Subscription fee on 10

wait WHAT?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

wait WHAT?

It's not confirmed it's just popular speculation at this point. I'm hoping they come out with 2 options buy it outright or subscription. 

It's not confirmed it's just popular speculation at this point. I'm hoping they come out with 2 options buy it outright or subscription. 

If it's sub based I'm done, I'm switching to linux and what I can't run on wine I'll run in a win7 secondary boot.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If it's sub based I'm done, I'm switching to linux and what I can't run on wine I'll run in a win7 secondary boot.

Yeah pretty much the same for me.  Hell if there's game I can't run I'd even just buy a freaking console before paying a windows subsciption

Well, i got an update to windows 10 the other day. Not sure what it was, but it sure didn't ruin it!

Dammnit microsoft, i have low hopes for windows 10 and it being free

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it