Windows 7 update destroys(nearly) everything: 19kb of death

brownninja97

I...this thread...holy shit. 

I can count on you guys to turn it into a "MS pays people to sell Windows and MS laughs at our problems and MS is literally Satan" and every other piece of off topic lunacy there is. 

Just great. Mods, might as well move this into off topic or nuke 4-5 pages of useless input. 

Maybe it's time to consider Windows 8?

especially because Win8.1 users get Win10 free

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Microsoft never said that Windows 10 will be free to anyone.

Theres a whole lot of misinformation going around, which people then use to make MS look good or bad depending on the context. 

Gotta love it

Microsoft never said that Windows 10 will be free to anyone.

LTT news posts from months ago 

The news is inaccurate, See the thread.

search function was removed

I...this thread...holy shit. 

I can count on you guys to turn it into a "MS pays people to sell Windows and MS laughs at our problems and MS is literally Satan" and every other piece of off topic lunacy there is. 

Just great. Mods, might as well move this into off topic or nuke 4-5 pages of useless input. 

Exactly, it has turned into 4 pages of paranoid conspiracy theory based on a faulty update that was only live for 2 days before being pulled.  It's like watching 3 year olds cry because mummy said no to a icy pole.

I have had auto updates on for 3 years and my pc has worked flawlessly the whole time.  People love making shit up to further a childish belief.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I love how this thread is just people defending and bashing Microsoft. I am one of those people who support Microsoft on everything they say, except for Xbox. And this. This is unacceptable

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Theres a whole lot of misinformation going around, which people then use to make MS look good or bad depending on the context. 

Gotta love it

Who could have possibly benefited from a "rumor" that Windows 8 users would get a free upgrade to Windows 9, which was rumor found all over the internet and all over forums and even said to be CONFIRMED in yahoo news? Where was MS legal on this article asking that it be taken down? 

http://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-windows-9-free-upgrade-windows-8-users-133033409.html

Or this one.

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-9-will-be-free-to-windows-8-owners-according-to-report/

Then again, there is no Windows 9. There is Windows 10. So any statement made wouldn't apply anyways. Bases covered!

Wonder how many people bought Win 8 based on a "rumor" which just happened to include a MS employee opening his mouth. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I love how this thread is just people defending and bashing Microsoft. I am one of those people who support Microsoft on everything they say, except for Xbox. And this. This is unacceptable

but there's nothing to defend, they released a broken update, they discovered it was broken and pulled it straight away.  Hardly a world ending event worthy of trying to pretend didn't happen.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Who could have possibly benefited from a "rumor" that Windows 8 users would get a free upgrade to Windows 9, which was rumor found all over the internet and all over forums and even said to be CONFIRMED in yahoo news? Where was MS legal on this article asking that it be taken down? 

http://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-windows-9-free-upgrade-windows-8-users-133033409.html

Or this one.

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-9-will-be-free-to-windows-8-owners-according-to-report/

Then again, there is no Windows 9. There is Windows 10. So any statement made wouldn't apply anyways. Bases covered!

Wonder how many people bought Win 8 based on a "rumor" which just happened to include a MS employee opening his mouth. 

Thank you for proving his point,  you just linked to some of the misinformation (speculating media reports) he was referring to, then you showed us how people use it to make MS look good or bad. 

this is case in point.

but there's nothing to defend, they released a broken update, they discovered it was broken and pulled it straight away.  Hardly a world ending event worthy of trying to pretend didn't happen.

Welcome to the new LTT, where conspiracy theories, fanboyism, insulting others based on fanboyism and spreading flawed information is just another thing to get used to. 

People need to be upset for anything these days. 

Thank you for proving his point,  you just linked to some of the misinformation (speculating media reports) he was referring to, then you showed us how people use it to make MS look good or bad. 

this is case in point.

Misinformation from a MS employee? As I said it doesn't matter anymore. MS changed the name of the OS to Windows 10. They covered their bases. The only entity that could benefit from the "rumor" was MS, who could potentially sell Win 8 to someone who may have not bought it with Windows 9 (changed to 10) on the horizon. MS is where the "rumor" came from. The misinformation is coming from people in this thread and the "rumor" came from MS.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Misinformation from a MS employee? As I said it doesn't matter anymore. MS changed the name of the OS to Windows 10. They covered their bases. The only entity that could benefit from the "rumor" was MS, who could potentially sell Win 8 to someone who may have not bought it with Windows 9 (changed to 10) on the horizon. MS is where the "rumor" came from. The misinformation is coming from people in this thread and the "rumor" came from MS.

So, your latest conspiracy theory is that they changed the name to Windows 10 to "cover their bases"... Huh. Well, you're nothing if not entertaining.

So, your latest conspiracy theory is that they changed the name to Windows 10 to "cover their bases"... Huh. Well, you're nothing if not entertaining.

I thought MS gave a very reasonable reason to skip 9. It would've broken lots of things due to how programs read Windows versions or something along those lines. I didn't really care, it wasn't some deal breaker. Windows 10 is Windows 10. MS is going to pull a OSX. It will always be Windows 10. With tenths for every future revision that begs a change in number. 

Does it affect people so much that MS skipped 9? I didn't realize MS skipping 9 was such a solid basis to have a conspiracy. I guess I've been out of the internet game too long that I missed all that. 

You're still going on and on about how people on this forum are "MS astroturfers"? 

That kinda says it all, for everyone. Didn't the mods already tell you to cut that stuff down and calm down? 

Again the misinformation is coming from you. The insults are coming from you. A MS employee is where that "rumor started". You seem to have a real problem with what is theory and what is fact.  As far as this thread? People did in fact repeatedly try to sell and promote Windows 8 when 7 had nothing to do with MS's ineptitude as far as this update. They also misinformed the posters as far as updates and Windows 7 support. 

A "theory" is coming up with a logical reason for why they would do this. Shareholders, advertising would both be logical theories. Fanboy could be another theory but I have never met a MS fanboy (outside of Xbox) in the tech world outside a persona on a forum or someone involved with or who has shares in MS. Fanboys do not also try to sell a product repeatedly. They will stick up for a product, or laud a product but they do not attempt to sell and promote a product REPEATEDLY in their own free time. 

Again the "rumor" came from a MS employee and I posted links to articles showing that. That is not theory. There is no legal recourse anyone could have now that the name is changed to 10. That is also not theory. If the OS was still named Windows 9? There would be lawsuits coming. 

More NON theory. MS refused to comment on the articles and refused to dismiss the "rumor". They could have easily asked these big sites to take down articles or issued a statement. 

I thought MS gave a very reasonable reason to skip 9. It would've broken lots of things due to how programs read Windows versions or something along those lines. I didn't really care, it wasn't some deal breaker. Windows 10 is Windows 10. MS is going to pull a OSX. It will always be Windows 10. With tenths for every future revision that begs a change in number. 

Does it affect people so much that MS skipped 9? I didn't realize MS skipping 9 was such a solid basis to have a conspiracy. I guess I've been out of the internet game too long that I missed all that. 

In all honesty, I'm still not sure if I believe them 100% on that. I've heard from people that it's accurate, but it seems like something fixable through software.

Again the "rumor" came from a MS employee and I posted links to articles showing that. That is not theory. There is no legal recourse anyone could have now that the name is changed to 10. That is also not theory. If the OS was still named Windows 9? There would be lawsuits coming. 

More NON theory. MS refused to comment on the articles and refused to dismiss the "rumor". They could have easily asked these big sites to take down articles or issued a statement. 

But if they disputed the rumor and took the pages down, less people would hear about it, meaning that less people would buy Windows 8.1 expecting a free upgrade to 9/10.

Also, I really can't take you seriously after that time you posted that rant accusing MS of ending sales of 7 and 8 early to force people to buy 10... even if it meant a year without any Windows sales. That was just so hilariously stupid, and the best part is that you told someone else to read the OP in that thread when you hadn't read it yourself! :D

In all honesty, I'm still not sure if I believe them 100% on that. I've heard from people that it's accurate, but it seems like something fixable through software.

I can't comment on that part of it, if it is or isn't easy to patch that up through a fix. Maybe MS figured it was a good enough excuse to rebrand their OS and unify everything they have on the market? 

My W10 experience has been the preview. It was a good experience. Thats all I can really speak on in terms of giving W10 a yay or nay. So far, its shaping up to be a yay. If it ends up being a cheap/free upgrade from 8.1? Why wouldn't I do it. I don't run legacy hardware and I'm okay with being on the bleeding edge so to speak, so my level of mad if W10 broke half my system wouldn't exactly be that high. 

But if they disputed the rumor and took the pages down, less people would hear about it, meaning that less people would buy Windows 8.1 expecting a free upgrade to 9/10.

Also, I really can't take you seriously after that time you posted that rant accusing MS of ending sales of 7 and 8 early to force people to buy 10... even if it meant a year without any Windows sales. That was just so hilariously stupid, and the best part is that you told some else to read the OP in that thread when you hadn't read it yourself! :D

1) They issued the statement, so calling that "rumor" is misinformation to begin with, while people accuse others of misinformation who were just stating what MS had previously said. So I guess MS cannot be used as a source for their own products now and anything they say is misinformation? 

2) You are correct. MS was who benefited from the MS started "rumor".  Grats for figuring that out. It was a dishonest way to promote and sell more copies of Windows 8, and they covered their ass legally, by naming it Windows 10.

Also I don't take anyone in this thread seriously defending MS, since you are found in every single thread where MS is criticized, defending them, no matter how ridiculous what they have done is.

The same exact people also belittle, and group attack people and can always be found up voting each other. 

The fact this thread was derailed into a "buy Windows 8" thread almost immediately, is a freakin joke.

You have Forbes referring to Windows update as Malware and people in this thread were selling Windows 8 as some kind of fix. Simply hilarious. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-disables-graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender/

1) They issued the statement, so calling that "rumor" is misinformation to begin with, while people accuse others of misinformation who were just stating what MS had previously said. So I guess MS cannot be used as a source for their own products now and anything they say is misinformation? 

2) You are correct. MS was who benefited from the MS started "rumor".  Grats for figuring that out. It was a dishonest way to promote and sell more copies of Windows 8, and they covered their ass legally, by naming it Windows 10.

Also I don't take anyone in this thread seriously defending MS, since you are found in every single thread where MS is criticized, defending them, no matter how ridiculous what they have done is.

The same exact people also belittle, and group attack people and can always be found up voting each other. 

The fact this thread was derailed into a "buy Windows 8" thread almost immediately, is a freakin joke.

You have Forbes referring to Windows update as Malware and people in this thread were selling Windows 8 as some kind of fix. Simply hilarious. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-disables-graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender/

It wouldn't have derailed the way it did if idiots like you ignored the idiots suggesting that solution. Besides, if it hadn't derailed you would have just started using it as an excuse for why everyone needs to ditch Windows immediately, since this is obviously the first time that an update on any platform ever had major issues.

I just don't think that fanboys fighting fanboys leads to anything good.

It wouldn't have derailed the way it did if idiots like you ignored the idiots suggesting that solution. Besides, if it hadn't derailed you would have just started using it as an excuse for why everyone needs to ditch Windows immediately, since this is obviously the first time that an update on any platform ever had major issues.

I just don't think that fanboys fighting fanboys leads to anything good.

I see no fan boys here, I see reputation management and selling and promoting a product. I see false statements, group attacking someone (not me) who repeated something MS said (I provided links to their statements that they never disputed) and then I clarified that MS is not legally responsible to honor that statement since Windows 9 does not exist. I really have nothing more to say on it. This is all a matter of record. The people supporting MS here are calling their own employees "misinformation and rumor". You can repeat that over and over on this forum, but it will never be true. There is nothing to argue here, just like there is no defending how much of a colossal f up this update was and pitching Windows 8 as some kind of solution is laughable. 

A fan boy? You can't argue with a fan boy. You are arguing opinion. There is no fanboyism here just BS.