Windows 7 update destroys(nearly) everything: 19kb of death

brownninja97

It's not confirmed it's just popular speculation at this point. I'm hoping they come out with 2 options buy it outright or subscription. 

They hired someone to transition windows to a service a long time ago. Also I doubt there will be 2 options and if so they will just release another windows a year or two later with DirectX 12.1 to make the subscription look like a good deal.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-windows-as-a-service-comes-in-to-focus-with-new-job-posting

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-as-a-service-gets-name-checked-again-by-microsoft

When you saw "Tomb Raider will be published by MS", that means one thing. Windows 10 exclusive. Halo 5 will probably be another one. Mine Craft 2 the third. I expect them to all release next Xmas along with Windows 10 and a gigantic marketing campaign. Forza is one they do not want to have to give to Windows, but I can see them doing it.  3 to 4 very different genres and MS attempting to do what they did a long time ago with Games For Windows Live with 10. This time they have a stronger lineup, people are dumb and don't even know what classic shell is for Win 8, and by with holding the start bar on 8 for the "average user" they can get these suckers on a sub fee. 

Blah blah we listened to you (no they didn't or 8 would have been patched with a real start bar), blah blah what a deal (you are going to pay a metric @$%@ ton more over time). The subscription fee was all but guaranteed when they announced win 8.1/10 would be free on small devices. They have to make the money back. The small devices got the OS free to protect the DirectX monopoly since all those devs were using OpenGL. They also got a year of office to keep people off Open Office. 

As a last ditch thing I can see them just making Xbox Live on Windows and getting all the games and possibly making the Xbox One a stream box integrated with 10. In reality all but Forza are third party and would have been on PC anyways without MS being involved... Will look like a good deal to morons though and that is all MS has to convince. 

What can you do though. Not like you can fight tons of MS Astroturfers/shareholders on forums or debunk their misinformation like them telling people Windows 7 will be useless after 2015. You debunk one? Another 5 take their place and upvote each other and make you look bad. I said Windows was moving to a service and a sub fee months ago and that MS would continue to sell the idea slowly until it was released and was attacked for it on this forum. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-monetize-turner-subscription,28190.html

Articles previous to this, that sold this as a good idea from "journalists" before it was even called Windows 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/the-inevitable-arrival-of-subscription-based-windows/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-9-much-ado-about-little-given-cloud-shift/

The same people on this forum who blasted me for saying Windows was moving to a subscription fee? Are going to be selling this subscription fee as something great. Why? Cus they are shareholders/advertising and MS is a joke. Can you make MS change their plans? Of course. Don't buy 8.1 and don't buy 10. Voice complaints. It worked on Xbox One policies...If MS refuses to gives in and abandons gaming? Even better. The game devs will switch to OpenGL which works on everything. MS doesn't hold the power, the consumers do. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

What the hell is the KBxxxxxxxx deal?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What the hell is the KBxxxxxxxx deal?

Squirtle_04dd27_1887847.gif

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

They hired someone to transition windows to a service a long time ago. Also I doubt there will be 2 options and if so they will just release another windows a year or two later with DirectX 12.1 to make the subscription look like a good deal.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-windows-as-a-service-comes-in-to-focus-with-new-job-posting

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-as-a-service-gets-name-checked-again-by-microsoft

When you saw "Tomb Raider will be published by MS", that means one thing. Windows 10 exclusive. Halo 5 will probably be another one. Mine Craft 2 the third. I expect them to all release next Xmas along with Windows 10 and a gigantic marketing campaign. Forza is one they do not want to have to give to Windows, but I can see them doing it.  3 to 4 very different genres and MS attempting to do what they did a long time ago with Games For Windows Live with 10. This time they have a stronger lineup, people are dumb and don't even know what classic shell is for Win 8, and by with holding the start bar on 8 for the "average user" they can get these suckers on a sub fee. 

Blah blah we listened to you (no they didn't or 8 would have been patched with a real start bar), blah blah what a deal (you are going to pay a metric @$%@ ton more over time). The subscription fee was all but guaranteed when they announced win 8.1/10 would be free on small devices. They have to make the money back. The small devices got the OS free to protect the DirectX monopoly since all those devs were using OpenGL. They also got a year of office to keep people off Open Office. 

As a last ditch thing I can see them just making Xbox Live on Windows and getting all the games and possibly making the Xbox One a stream box integrated with 10. In reality all but Forza are third party and would have been on PC anyways without MS being involved... Will look like a good deal to morons though and that is all MS has to convince. 

What can you do though. Not like you can fight tons of MS Astroturfers/shareholders on forums or debunk their misinformation like them telling people Windows 7 will be useless after 2015. You debunk one? Another 5 take their place and upvote each other and make you look bad. I said Windows was moving to a service and a sub fee months ago and that MS would continue to sell the idea slowly until it was released and was attacked for it on this forum. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-monetize-turner-subscription,28190.html

Articles previous to this, that sold this as a good idea from "journalists" before it was even called Windows 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/the-inevitable-arrival-of-subscription-based-windows/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-9-much-ado-about-little-given-cloud-shift/

The same people on this forum who blasted me for saying Windows was moving to a subscription fee? Are going to be selling this subscription fee as something great. Why? Cus they are shareholders/advertising and MS is a joke. Can you make MS change their plans? Of course. Don't buy 8.1 and don't buy 10. Voice complaints. It worked on Xbox One policies...If MS refuses to gives in and abandons gaming? Even better. The game devs will switch to OpenGL which works on everything. MS doesn't hold the power, the consumers do. 

I have no interest in any of those games well not on PC halo belongs on console and feels wrong on pc IMO lol and as stated above I'll just buy a PS4 to game on if windows is subscription only I own no microsoft shares but I did buy 4 xbox360's and have MS pay for my XBL gold for 7+ years so if they want to be a douches I'll just go PS4 and take my entire gaming clan and group of friends with me seems I have people already offering to buy me a ps4 it'll cost me nothing and MS will lose a good 150ish people from their ecosystem.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

so do I try to completely avoid updating or is resistance futile? :(

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Noooo. Granny's internet is really slow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

image.jpg

How do I turn off automatic updates? I CAN'T REMEMBER?!

And judging from the problems they say it causes, that's no glitch, that's a "security" update, securing your wallet to upgrade away from their last "good" product.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have no interest in any of those games lol and as stated above I'll just buy a PS4 to game on if windows is subscription only I own no microsoft shares but I did buy 4 xbox360's and have MS pay for my XBL gold for 7+ years so if they want to be a douches I'll just go PS4 and take my entire gaming clan and group of friends with me seems I have people already offering to buy me a ps4 it'll cost me nothing and MS will lose a good 150ish people from their ecosystem.

Neither do I except Tomb Raider. Like I said though. Doesn't matter. It is what you can convince the majority of and the majority of people believe MS is "listening" to them by giving them a start bar back and don't even know what Classic Shell is. Many of those people paid MS another 100 dollars to go back to Windows 7 from 8...

Every single local computer shop I have looked at has "Switch to Windows 7 from 8 here" sign on their store front. MS is laughing all the way to the bank. 

I will always game on PC, but I just hope Nvidia takes Mantle (I can see MS giving them money not to) or a new OpenGL gets finished and Steam OS being ready to go. For that to happen Nvidia/AMD have to get along and actually make the damn thing though and have it not be biased.

MS is simply not getting any more money from me though unless I am FORCED to pay it and game. If that happens Nvidia never gets another dime from me. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

so do I try to completely avoid updating or is resistance futile? :(

Just turn off updates and use malwarebytes and a real antivirus. Use a browser other than IE. They have their own security updates. Windows defender/Security Essentials is garbage anyways. MS themselves said it is garbage and you should use another antivirus. 

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

Microsoft has pulled the update already.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8782/win7-driver-issues-microsoft-amd-recommend-uninstalling-kb3004394

The news article above from Anandtech says that it only affected a small number of people, as well.

Must be specific configurations. We have to wait and see for Microsoft details, when it is fixed.

Just turn off updates and use malwarebytes and a real antivirus. Use a browser other than IE. They have their own security updates. Windows defender/Security Essentials is garbage anyways. MS themselves said it is garbage and you should use another antivirus. 

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

thanks mate

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I can confirm this has installed on my PC no worries, there has been a couple of updates since.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Maybe it's time to consider Windows 8?

That was the reason why this is happening! Microsoft is making windows 7 unusable, so they will sell  windows 8 copies!

Or not.

That was the reason why this is happening! Microsoft is making windows 7 unusable, so they will sell  windows 8 copies!

I think you are mixing Apple with Microsoft

I think you are mixing Apple with Microsoft

Un-warranted Apple hate. GR8 B8 M8. Apple does not do that, othat than with iOS be excluding their older phones from the update - like Android has done for years.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Wow /facepalm this thread.

its derailed too far

abandon-thread-gif-cats.gif

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Oh god, I hope this hasn't affected any of the computers at work. The last thing I need is to have to reimage a ton of computers when I have to do inventory for the whole building.

Oh god, I hope this hasn't affected any of the computers at work. The last thing I need is to have to reimage a ton of computers when I have to do inventory for the whole building.

lol i understand the pain, i had to do workexperience(ghosting) at a school. They somehow got cryptolockered and it took down everything. The It guys made me reimage half the computers in that school because they had to "deal with the server" for a week

Listen if you care.

Neither do I except Tomb Raider. Like I said though. Doesn't matter. It is what you can convince the majority of and the majority of people believe MS is "listening" to them by giving them a start bar back and don't even know what Classic Shell is. Many of those people paid MS another 100 dollars to go back to Windows 7 from 8...

Every single local computer shop I have looked at has "Switch to Windows 7 from 8 here" sign on their store front. MS is laughing all the way to the bank. 

I will always game on PC, but I just hope Nvidia takes Mantle (I can see MS giving them money not to) or a new OpenGL gets finished and Steam OS being ready to go. For that to happen Nvidia/AMD have to get along and actually make the damn thing though and have it not be biased.

MS is simply not getting any more money from me though unless I am FORCED to pay it and game. If that happens Nvidia never gets another dime from me. 

Do you have any rants in this thread? Just wondering.

Un-warranted Apple hate. GR8 B8 M8. Apple does not do that, othat than with iOS be excluding their older phones from the update - like Android has done for years.

Well you just admitted it.

And I never said Android is not doing it.

Do you have any rants in this thread? Just wondering.

Why aren't you attacking the people who sold lies in this thread like Windows 7 not getting updates past 2015 or it somehow being broken past that, when it is set to get security updates until 2020. I saw COUNTLESS posts in this thread recommending people upgrade to Win 8 to fix an issue which never should have been an issue to begin with and the fault lies with MS not Windows 7. Those people also attacked them and harassed their choice of OS for no reason and continued to try to sell a newer MS OS, which is typical of MS. 

This thread was derailed the second people started telling people to upgrade their OS to Win 8 and that occurred long before I showed up.  NONE of their posts helped the people having issues whatsoever. 

Well you just admitted it.

And I never said Android is not doing it.

They unsupported a few old phones. So what? For the most part they keep it pretty well. Not like other companies haven't done worse in the past.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Why aren't you attacking the people who sold lies in this thread like Windows 7 not getting updates past 2015 or it somehow being broken past that, when it is set to get security updates until 2020. I saw COUNTLESS posts in this thread recommending people upgrade to Win 8 to fix an issue which never should have been an issue to begin with and the fault lies with MS not Windows 7. Those people also attacked them and harassed their choice of OS for no reason and continued to try to sell a newer MS OS, which is typical of MS. 

This thread was derailed the second people started telling people to upgrade their OS to Win 8 and that occurred long before I showed up.  NONE of their posts helped the people having issues whatsoever. 

Because I didn't read the rest of the thread and I don't feel like reading it.

Apple has done some pretty silly stuff to get people off an older OS. Snow Leopard would be an example, which people refuse to upgrade from due to legacy support on Power PC architecture programs that ran on Intel with Snow Leopard. Those people actually have a really good reason for not wanting to be on the newest Apple OS.

Apple continually said there would be no security updates for Snow Leopard and later gave some, but not for their browser. People just switched to Chrome which has it's own security updates.

Because I didn't read the rest of the thread and I don't feel like reading it.

Then maybe you should stop posting threads you don't read and attacking people who were calling out ridiculous posts.