AT&T wants to know why a town is building a 1Gbps network when it already offers 6Mbps DSL

Victorious Secret

att-sign-sky-0.jpeg?w=625

This is akin to saying "Why would you want a Ferrari for 40 dollars when we already sell you a pile of shit Pinto for 35?" 

ATT, just stop. Please. You guys are embarrassing yourselves. Why would the town want to build its own network? Seems fairly simple. Cheap, fast internet for all. Its not rocket science, you bloody idiots. 

Offer fair plans and reasonable speeds with reasonable caps, and people will select your service without issue. I stick with Telus because my 25D/10U costs me 35 a month and I have a hilariously soft cap of 350GB. I get treated well, I don't need to switch for no reason. 

Maybe try offering something known as "value". It might surprise you when more people chose your offers. 

“Any decision made by the KCC could impact AT&T’s business operations in the area, which is why we asked to intervene in the proceeding,” AT&T told The Eagle. “AT&T remains interested in both broadband issues and the work of the KCC.”

It’s true that a 1Gbps fiber service would definitely impact AT&T’s business operations in the area and likely for the very worse. Ars Technica points out that Chanute would charge citizens just $40 per month for its 1Gbps service, which is a mere $5 more than the six-month teaser rate for AT&T’s 6Mbps service. What’s more, AT&T’s plan includes a hard data cap of 150GB per month and going over that limit will set you back by an additional $10 per month.

http://bgr.com/2014/12/03/att-vs-municipal-fiber/

Wow, AT&T really just needs to stop.

Can I go live in that town? I'd love to get gigabit for $40 instead of my shitty 30Mb/s for $70... (Should really be getting like 50Mb/s but comcast sucks ass...)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Auto like for thread title making me laugh/cry.

*now reading the, no doubt, enraging BS CEOs vomit.*

Why yes AT&T, I would like to pay almost as much and get worse service with you.

/s

Why would you want a Ferrari for 40 dollars when we already sell you a pile of shit Pinto for 35? 

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

AT&T you shouldn't be asking questions. This should be in reverse. They should be asking AT&T "Why is your service so shit"

Yea, when I read that I was like "WTF? Who gives a fig what you want to know and why? They want to cut your fat arse out and are don't talking to you. So get lost."

They don't owe at&t any explanation nor is there any need to involve them in it. They've been sabotaging these efforts for more than a decade already. And there is no need to hold their hand and explain telecommunications infrastructure to them.

Edited by MoonSpot

Maybe because 6mbps is horrible even for mobile devices. ATT how can they be that stupid  :( They sell 9mbps for 10 bucks each month around here x.x

This is akin to saying "Why would you want a Ferrari for 40 dollars when we already sell you a pile of shit Pinto for 35

I had a good laugh at this.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I feel guilty that my wireless service provider is AT&T.  :(

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I feel guilty that my wireless service provider is AT&T.  :(

Hard to feel guilty if you don't have a choice.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Reasonable caps"?

There is no such thing as reasonable caps, except for no caps.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They really don't like competition, and they seem pretty arrogant about it as well.

Still stuck on 1mbps here, but that is because even the nearest town doesn't have fiberglass. And my provider also isn't great, to be honest, switching in January.

I feel guilty that my wireless service provider is AT&T. :(

Don't, only if you chose them over a better provider.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

$40 per month for 1gbps?

Fuck, I get this for 90$AUS per month.

3959493297.png

Hopefully this kind of things become more commonplace instead of being just the random available services in odd towns.

I get 12/2

And I cry every time while watching tek syndicate. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So, let me see here:

ISPs are sticking their noses where it does not belong... again

FCC is fighting for the wrong side of the issue... again

ISPs are doing whatever they can to maintain their municipal monopolies and faux-competition at all costs... again

Logan is going to have quite a field day with this one!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Wow, AT&T really just needs to stop.

Can I go live in that town? I'd love to get gigabit for $40 instead of my shitty 30Mb/s for $70... (Should really be getting like 50Mb/s but comcast sucks ass...)

You don't know the definition of shitty my friend.

3959713231.png

I remember the good old days when I had AOL and it used to make a horrible screech and I was online..

Then AOL went to ADSL and it was faster but very unreliable. Then I swapped to Sky, got an amazing service but too expensive. Now I have fibre with EE for £40 a month, decent price vs Sky's £45 a month... Which might I add, had a forever increasing price! The price would jump up by about £1 or maybe £2 every 6 to 12 months and the excuse was "Its because we're improving stuff lolz".

EE fibre = Fixed line rental, can't bump up the price for no reason unless I renew contract.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The comment section hurts to read so many people acting like they know what they are talking about when they can't differentiate between MB and Mb

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

The comment section hurts to read so many people acting like they know what they are talking about when they can't differentiate between MB and Mb

Who? 

I just skimmed over everything...who? 

You?

edit

Oh wait you mean on the article. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch