AT&T wants to know why a town is building a 1Gbps network when it already offers 6Mbps DSL

Victorious Secret

I need my state to stop being retarded and the people of Dallas to get the head people in charge to do this. ATT be damned you're HQ is in my home town, you suck and are a disgrace for modern American internet.

350GB is considered a lot? Wow... I'm glad I don't have an ISP with caps.

I'm not even going to mention the article because i son't even know how to respond to such an advanced level of stupidity.

I need my state to stop being retarded and the people of Dallas to get the head people in charge to do this. ATT be damned you're HQ is in my home town, you suck and are a disgrace for modern American internet.

Want to try to get Google fiber to come here? That'd be amazing . . . .

just wow, they probably said the most ridiculous question I heard all year

kind of a poor analogy about the pinto and ferrari.  the user still has to obey the speed limit. 

Hey AT&T? You want to know what a true fucking free market is? One where big guys don't interfere with potential competitors! SO SHUT THE FUCK UP!

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Lol 6Mb I had that like 10 years ago. AT&T need to catch up with curent tech

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

USA never stops amazing me every day of how corrupt it is...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

AT&T becoming the Ubisoft of network companies?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Because people want speeds for 2014 not 1990 

silly AT&T

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

You know you're fucking up when Canada has leaps and bounds faster ISPs than you. Seriously.
Have you seen how big our country is in relation to our population? Surprised we even have internet!

$40 (£27) for 1gbps :-OOOOO, my jaw dropped...

Here in UK i pay £35 for shitty 16mbps with less than 1.5mbps upload.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

You know you're fucking up when Canada has leaps and bounds faster ISPs than you. Seriously.

Have you seen how big our country is in relation to our population? Surprised we even have internet!

Isn't this the sad truth

Shaw seems to be the best ISP lately for high speed packages.

Isn't this the sad truth

Shaw seems to be the best ISP lately for high speed packages.

I have Rogers. Its nice I have the 250/20 service and I get 300- 350 over ethernet so I like Rogers.

PLEASE USE PCPARTPICKER.  My rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZBmWjX

I have Rogers. Its nice I have the 250/20 service and I get 300- 350 over ethernet so I like Rogers.

Yup, it truly is a screwed up world when Canadian ISPs aren't shafting us over like American ones. I'm curious cause LTT uses high powered lines, @Slick, how well are you guys treated by whoever you use? 

Yup, it truly is a screwed up world when Canadian ISPs aren't shafting us over like American ones. I'm curious cause LTT uses high powered lines, @Slick, how well are you guys treated by whoever you use? 

Not well.

Not well.

:o

a9b8f5d858a56ab5b90698a687ee9bbcdf0c87ff

PREPARE FOR BATTLE MY FELLOW NERDS!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What you guys have to remember is that in America the big old players have been suckling at the government teat for decades and funneling money back into pol's pockets all that time.

I can go into it more in depth if you want but suffice to say there is a reason there are so many regulations and hurdles in these industries, and a reason why cable companies, AT&T and the Bell Co.'s, and many other service providers are de facto monopolies. Only recently have you had real mustangs shoe horning themselves into the industry with groups like Verizon and Google offering Fiber and cell companies offering 4g Internet access.

If not for the regulations and market constraints installed by the government, often at the behest of the big monopolizers, you could have fiber roll outs almost instantly, google and Verizon could franchise out roll outs, a contracted company strikes a deal with one or the other and fronts the money for and installs fiber under franchise with standards and practices set forth by G or V and uses their trunks as the backbone for their Fiber network. You could see a nationwide rollout of fiber networks anywhere people could get capital together to run fiber lines, and fiber is NOT that expensive, despite what AT&T would have you believe.

How many people here wouldn't throw in a few hundred dollars to be a stock owning backer of a 1Gbps fiber ISP offering in your area? With either a discount for service or dividends paid out for the life of the network? The only thing standing in the way of we the people working to provide what we want from a responsive industry is centuries of government intrusion and regulation masquerading as "consumer protections"

Also from the related links of that article: http://bgr.com/2014/06/11/fcc-municipal-broadband-projects/

Wheeler is supporting small town ISPs. That's seriously an improvement to the last time when he was talking about dividing the baby and handling fast lanes. Makes me more optimistic of how he will act in his time.

I believed John Oliver saying he was a dingo. Could just be a concession we're being granted since the ISP's have been bleeding us dry for a long time. I mean, how long could they really do that? And it garnishes good will for government.

Anyone with half a brain and some money knows you would want to pay for communal service since odds are it would offer better speeds for price than the incumbent.

I hope we roll this out in my area. I've been wanting to do this for years.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

--snip--

You seem to be under the impression that Canadians aren't familiar with monopolistic telcos and shaddy politicians being in bed with them. If so, you would be quite mistaken.

The cable provider in my part of Canada still sucks pretty bad, and "Ma Bell" is just a complete and utter disgrace. For a brief moment there were thrid parties that rented the infrastructure to provide service to users, but now they're colluding entities that offer no value beyond a different billing department location. Over the course of 2 years their plans changed and degraded to the point where their only purpose is to pretend that there is competition.

$40 per month for 1gbps?

Fuck, I get this for 90$AUS per month.

3959493297.png

Hopefully this kind of things become more commonplace instead of being just the random available services in odd towns.

That sucks. Is NBN coming to you?

You seem to be under the impression that Canadians aren't familiar with monopolistic telcos and shaddy politicians being in bed with them. If so, you would be quite mistaken.

The cable provider in my part of Canada still sucks pretty bad, and "Ma Bell" is just a complete and utter disgrace. For a brief moment there were thrid parties that rented the infrastructure to provide service to users, but now they're colluding entities that offer no value beyond a different billing department location. Over the course of 2 years their plans changed and degraded to the point where their only purpose is to pretend that their is competition.

I salute you on your avatar.

You are quite right, the state is always willing to work with its colluders to tilt the playing field one way or the other. It used to be there were those who would buck that trend and force competition with such monopolies, nowadays though there is just so much regulation and so many barriers to entry you literally have to be a criminal to compete in the market. There is no way to work your way in as the little guy. Even Google and Verizon had to sidestep into it from other larger markets.

I really wasn't trying to single out Canada versus the US, I was really just trying to lift the US's history as a bad example of state interference, not to discount any other nation's battle scars.

My reaction to the title: