Should we Post the Booth Babe Video?

LinusTech

Yes - post it on the linuscattips channel if you decide to post it.

No - I hope it won't get posted on the tech channel (linustechtips). Don't get me wrong, I love women but the linustechtips channel is in my opinion a quality tech channel, random babe videos should't be there...

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I support the model mentioned above this post, or some other workaround, but what ever you do, post it.

No, the choice should be Linus's as to what he uploads for his audience, which is why I believe the poll was not the greatest idea.  Your free will isn't being impacted by Linus's decision, as similar, if not almost identical, content is available elsewhere. Freedom of speech/expression doesn't give one the right to whatever you suppose you ought to have, merely the right to say it or make it yourself (though I fear I may be heading off on somewhat of a tangent).

If you want to see booth-babes, you still can.  Why they have to be on this particular forum only serves to offend certain people who are here.  Seeing as though the content is freely available elsewhere, preserving the status quo seems the logical choice.  Those who want to see booth-babes can, either here, but not posted by Linus, or via a search engine; those who don't want it on the forum aren't offended.  Yay for neutrality!

I'm actually ambivalent about the content myself (it can hardly be gratuitous), but don't see the benefit to the community by posting material which has clearly caused strong reactions.  

In response to the "mute" point, (to which i really wanna go "[sic] moot"), I'd presume the video is a montage of all the footage that contained the women (and man, oh my!) from across the show rather than an actual attempt to document the eye-candy from the offset (someone feel free to clarify). Judging by the amount of footage and content provided by the teams, and their level of fatigue, I don't think they'd have had the time to just film them.  Perhaps editing it together and asking the community was a bad idea...either way it sparks debate and adds interest to the forum. Nice work Linus! *cheesy thumbs up*

Finally, just because, I'd like to add this: the mere fact they are called "booth-babes" seems to nullify the arguments that they aren't being objectified by the audience...(and possibly the fact I dubbed them "eye-candy", purely non-sexual, I'm gay) I doubt many people wake up in the morning, model or otherwise and think "oh yeah, I'm such a babe", and if they do, may I just say ASSHAT!

Dissect away, I shan't be offended.

mute? damn it... yeah man i meant moot.... im genuinely dyslexic its why all my spelling is americanized because the spell check is American not English. my bad... and gay? couldnt care less, doesnt make your point any less valid although does put them in context that at least you wont be faping over the vids ;)

but however its spelled my point is the same. linus already made the vid or alt least made the effort of gathering the material to be edited into a vid. so the intent was already there. which is why i said moot point.

im not gonna bother dissecting the rest because you made some legitimate points that i dont wanna argue against.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

mm, and if you post it in linuscattips? there are cats and random things

(sorry for repost, i am not an expert in the forum)

I like how this is a thread that lead you to make a post 

I think that anyone who thinks it is bad or something can just not click the video and not watch it. The votes at this point ant time are at over 85% soooooooooo..... I guess the majority wants the video uploaded!

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I'm explaining it one last time, yes booth babes are there by choice, that doesn't make the sheer existence of job any less sexist. 

Sexism is such an extreme term, it makes it look like it's a crime. Nobody is getting hurt when Linus posts this video.

So even if it IS sexism, why is it bad? There's no denying that there is a difference between females and males. Male's often like females and females often like males. This is the reason that these women, who chose this job out of free will and in full acknowledgement of its consequences, are there in the companies booths because computer hardware is a male dominated community.

Now when a girl gets paid less for a job because she's a female or anything like that, that's bad mkay, but that's not the problem here.

There's always someone bitching something about gender equality. The genders are not equal and each has its pluses and minuses, get over it for Christ's sake.

That said, sexism isn't a one way street. You probably seen the Abercomby and Fitch bags have you? Or the Chippendales? Or the coca cola commercial? Seriously halfnaked males are everywhere just as well and there's no one bitching about that. Women like naked men just as much as men like naked women.

And let's not forget that sexism is just fine when a male pays the receipt of a lovely night out with a girl or holds the door open or tries to protect a woman (and millions of other examples exist)

Now on the topic

I don't even get why this is a question. Thousands of people have already seen them there on Computex, what does it hurt anyone if you post it on your channel alongside all the other Computex video's?

Just post the video. All this sexism nonsense is so over hyped and all round terrible. Nothing's going to change whether you post it (or not).

I'm being really honest if I say those girls would laugh at any of the opposers in this thread if they read it

first of all-Linus decided. It is his channel it is his company and he chooses what to do. 2nd- All of you that are pulling the "sexist" argument, go return all of your tech products from all the companies that support that kind of  sexist behavior or stop being such a hypocrite. For the record I voted, no. Simply because I don't want Linus loosing any of audience, especially not because someone thinks he is a sexist (because he is not ). I'm not watching this channel just for the tech, I watch it because of the specific view on the tech that offers. So I'm watching it for the experience that it offers. I was watching their Computex videos for the same exact reasons, to see their experiences from Computex,and what they think of the latest tech, Taipei, the show ect. If this video about those girls was a part of the experience they had, I wanted to see it.  Does it make me a sexist? Hell no. I consider all humans should have the same rights, and no human should be judged by the color of their skin,religion,nationality, sex and sex preferences (as long as those include consensual adults ). It is not important what I see it is important how I treat women in real life. One thing I don't appreciate as I already said,is hypocrisy. I bet a bunch of you that called it sexists,played/are playing a bunch of video games without either thinking how sexist the gaming industry actually is. (for example how many main female characters in triple A titles you know of?Lara Croft  and...? google it). I utterly respect LMG's choice not to post this video, but also it is a shame that a bunch of you hypocrites had it their way. I sincerely apologize to all the people that don't play sexist video games and use tech by sexist tech companies and are not a part of this in any other way.   Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at me.

Whatever man chill out.

On another more cheeky note, it'd definitely add new meaning to when Linus says, "I hope you guys are liking the glamour shots we've been including in the recent videos".

Sexism is such an extreme term, it makes it look like it's a crime. Nobody is getting hurt when Linus posts this video.

So even if it IS sexism, why is it bad? There's no denying that there is a difference between females and males. Male's often like females and females often like males. This is the reason that these women, who chose this job out of free will and in full acknowledgement of its consequences, are there in the companies booths because computer hardware is a male dominated community.

Now when a girl gets paid less for a job because she's a female or anything like that, that's bad mkay, but that's not the problem here.

There's always someone bitching something about gender equality. The genders are not equal and each has its pluses and minuses, get over it for Christ's sake.

That said, sexism isn't a one way street. You probably seen the Abercomby and Fitch bags have you? Or the Chippendales? Or the coca cola commercial? Seriously halfnaked males are everywhere just as well and there's no one bitching about that. Women like naked men just as much as men like naked women.

And let's not forget that sexism is just fine when a male pays the receipt of a lovely night out with a girl or holds the door open or tries to protect a woman (and millions of other examples exist)

Now on the topic

I don't even get why this is a question. Thousands of people have already seen them there on Computex, what does it hurt anyone if you post it on your channel alongside all the other Computex video's?

Just post the video. All this sexism nonsense is so over hyped and all round terrible. Nothing's going to change whether you post it (or not).

well put

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

genetically programmed? so how do you explain  gay people ? As errors? Dude this is wrong on so many levels. women and men ARE equal but they are not identical. They have different tendencies towards some stuff like jobs, but no one is programmed. but this is a tech forum isn't it? 

I won't say gay people are unnatural (since you can find homosexuals in other species) but they do not do what we were genetically programmed to do, which is eat and reproduce. If you don't think that we are "genetically programmed" for certain things then you need to go read some biology and human evolution.

We should be equal in terms of rights (and we already are) but people have to realize the fact that we are not equal in all areas (genetically). Studies proves that women have much faster reaction time when it comes to saving children from harm for example. It is also a hard and cold fact that men have a much easier time building muscles. Why? Because during our evolution the men were out hunting, and the women took care of the children. I am not saying that we should live like that today, but what I am saying is that there are still traces of such a time in our genes, and it makes men better at certain things and women better at certain things. You can call that sexism if you want, but all you're saying is "oh nature is so sexist, we should have evolved differently", which is pointless.

As for the whole "it's sexist" debate, if I was a model then I would be glad if people thought I was attractive and wanted to look at me, because that means I am doing a good job. How come people never complain about women ogling male models, yet as soon as a man wants to look at a female model we are all of a sudden oppressing the whole female gender?

Saying "oh you're not allowed to vote because you are a woman" or saying "oh women are only good for cooking and cleaning, because they are women" = sexism

Saying "yes I think that model, whose whole job is to look good and endorse a product, is good looking" != sexism

I joined the Linus Tech Tips community because it's tech centered.
It's a place where guys and girls can go and talk about upcoming technology, how they did their builds and so on.

A video about girls, to me, doesn't belong among the tech videos.

Booth girls are used to attract guys to their products. People don't go to the show for the girls they go for the tech, the same reason we are here.

If you joined LTT to see chicks in revealing clothes then you should probably invest in a different membership, there are a lot of sites that would love to have you!

As for me, I voted no because I'm here to get peoples opinions on cutting edge technology. I personally don't think that posting that kind of video does much for the reputation of a predominately male community. Just my opinion.

lolkwerk... 

Oh wait, wrong forum.

Cut it up and make gifs out of it, like lots of em.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

What do you guys think of TastyPC?

Are you 100% interested in her intellectual input regarding pc and tech?

Or what she is wearing?

You dont see her in a star wars shirt, slacks and flip flops!

Your not wrong for being sensitive, but IMO alot of you are being OVER sensitive.

You cant change peoples views with a thread on a forum!

After skimming through this thread, I'm siding with the "No" side, their rationale just makes more sense. While I'm not the best at debating patriarchy since I do enjoy James Bond movies, Kate Upton and the Mr. Saxobeat music video, sometimes it does bug me and this is one of those times. After watching most of the Computex coverage, I found myself cringing when the booth babes showed up. Someone in this thread brought up objectification, and they were just that: simply objects who rarely spoke and served no purpose other than to show you a product that they didn't seem like they knew anything about and couldn't answer your questions. You might as well save money and use mannequins because they were pretty close to statues.

And I remember in one or two videos, the booth babes actually interfered with the report with their awkward, what-is-this mannerisms. It was far more uncomfortable than attractive to watch. Contrast that with one of my fav videos - the Fractal Design one with Josh - or the videos that got the most views like the Ducky keyboards, both were booth babe-free and still got a bunch of hits, showing that what you really need for tech show videos is an interesting product or a charismatic, expert rep or something new to learn, or all of the above.

Absolutely, I'm all for seeing women at tech conventions, not as models though, but as tech experts like the men. Say, Elaine in the Enermax booth, or that female rep from the Thermaltake booth at CES, for example. They showed you can be cute and know your stuff too, and that's the type of women that break down stereotypes and whom I wouldn't mind seeing more of at these shows.

Is it possible? Well, I was at a food expo recently and there were zero booth babes, just chefs, foodies and food, and it was still really crowded and popular. If I'm at a food expo, I expect the focus to be on food and speak with food experts. At a tech expo, the focus should be on the tech. If it's a modelling expo, then fine, bring on the models. Would I say yes to Kate Upton at a fashion show? Sure. Kate Upton at a tech show? No.

Post as a private video and put the link here

Please vote no guys, PC enthusiasts are already labelled as misogynists. The fact that electronics expos like Computex and E3 even HAVE booth babes is already sexist enough, we don't need to make it worse by literally posting a video for people to fap to. 

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

Now on the topic

I'm being really honest if I say those girls would laugh at any of the opposers in this thread if they read it

Well said! everybody is so uptight about these things now a days!

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

ajoy39, on 11 Jun 2013 - 2:20 PM, said:

Please vote no guys, PC enthusiasts are already labelled as misogynists. The fact that electronics expos like Computex and E3 even HAVE booth babes is already sexist enough, we don't need to make it worse by literally posting a video for people to fap to.

I  voted no, linus please don't post the video it has nothing to do with tech stay classy man.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Post it. Its the same "is it sexist" debate the gaming industry went through a few months back after KSI at Eurogamer. 

yea your right dude. linus just post it you will get less flack that way

Matt Key

@SlickKey

ok i see where you're coming from .. also no one is fapping,  at least i hope  :wacko:

Edit :year i took out a part after i red some more post 

Edit^2: i spell yeah like year so .... maybe i would win the lottery next year :)

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

ok i see where you're coming from ... on the other hand if that is the rep we have ... might as well live up to it ... also no one is fapping,  at least i hope  :wacko:

Fap? no this isn't a Ducky keyboards video....

yea your right dude. linus just post it you will get less flack that way

yeah but it could   also cause other problems namely it would be unproffessional it has nothing to do  with the main point of linus media, which is about hardware

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

yeah but it could   also cause other problems namely it would be unproffessional it has nothing to do  with the main point of linus media, which is about hardware

To be fair, he did share a Booth Babes video from another channel onto this thread.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch