Should we Post the Booth Babe Video?

LinusTech

"Booth Babes" reinforce the poor image people have on the tech industry. The image is that no one highly invested in tech could possibly get a girl, so to lure them over they place a bunch of scantily clad girls near their products. IF they were informed, worked for the company prior, worked security on the floor for products, and were more than just an emotionless object to catch your eye. Then they would have a place there. Unfortunately the booth babes in question are none of those.

And who the hell cares, seriously? You think that booth babes does harm to the "computer geeks can't get girlfriends" stereotype? With the huge amount of "nerds" who are hip and trendy and "into computers" I think that stereotype is already pretty busted. You also act as if the tech industry is the only industry which does this, which is completely false. A lot of different industries does, and it's not just with female models. A lot of products aimed at women have male models in them. Do you know why? Because men are attracted to women, and vice versa. By putting an attractive person from gender Y in your commercial, you have a higher chance of luring in customers who are of gender X.

Another note, it's nearly impossible to have an educated debate on sexism over the internet. While a bunch of comments come close, they lack a rebuttal from the children that want this video posted.

I think it's hard to have a proper debate about sexism on the Internet because people label pretty much everything as sexism these days, and people actively look for things to label as sexist. I really dislike how you basically say "these women are doing bad things by showing themselves at computex". They chose to be there, and they seem to love their job, and who wouldn't? They get paid to look pretty and they get a lot of attention, who doesn't like that? Like I said before, if I was a model then I would be really happy if people thought I was attractive and wanted to take pictures, because it proves that I am doing a good job.

Actually, I think YOU are being sexist because you are saying "no, these women shouldn't be doing the job they like, simply because they are women, if they were men then it would have been OK for them to be models and show a product".

My stands is this: Let women do whatever they want. If they want to be a model, then sure let them be models. If they agree to be filmed then go ahead and film them. If people are interested in viewing them then go ahead and let people view them. Why not let people do as they please? What makes you think you are entitled to say what is right or wrong, and decide what other people should do with their lives?

Well you could make it private and only viewable via a link so the people who don't want to watch it can easily avoid it.

This man is a genius, listen to him.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Make a private link. And then keep it blurred to cause massive amounts of rage.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I'm explaining it one last time, yes booth babes are there by choice, that doesn't make the sheer existence of job any less sexist. 

I don't even know where to start.

"Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex."-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism

This is not sexism, this is certain women presenting themselves (on behalf of a company) in a way that makes you unhappy.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

I don't even know where to start.

"Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex."-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism

This is not sexism, this is certain women presenting themselves (on behalf of a company) in a way that makes you unhappy.

Funny, if you scroll down on that page further you'll find a link to a very specific type of sexism called "sexual objectification". Read up on it. You'll have your answer. 

You are a person without a community/society kind of mind. 

You also don't understand human nature. We are judging species. Without explanation or context, it's what we do. And we often feel we don't have the time or desire to find that explanation or context for ourselves. 

But all the context or explanations in the world wouldn't change what that video is to the community.

And no, it's not all the same thing.

I"m just gonna reiterate the following point:

The problem I have with the video being posted is that it will just reinforce outsiders' views that the gamer/pc/tech community is sexist/misogynist. 

Whether this video or posting it really is sexist/misogynist is completely irrelevant, because they will view it and us as such regardless if it were indeed posted.

That's why I don't want it posted and why I voted no. If anyone could have the ability to help change the outside worlds' perception of us, it'd be a community like LTT because our community is better than most already imo. However, if the video were posted, it would have just as much effect in the opposite direction reinforcing their view even more.

I think Linus' decision just reinforces my view of him as an awesome content creator in that he will make decisions that are best for the community he leads (basically) even if the community doesn't agree with it. It makes it even easier for me to trust him in what he says and does in videos about the things he reviews.

It's irrelevant whether people think the "gamer/pc/tech community is sexist/misogynist if it isn't, it's just stereotyping. People who hate me or judge me completely based on what community/whatever I'm involved in aren't worth my time. I love PewDiePie, I love My Little Pony, I love cartoons, I love anime, I love consumer tech, I love PC games, I love 4chan, I love Rooster Teeth, I love LinusTechTips, there are people in every single one of these communities that create horrible stereotypes for others to judge me by. I want to see the booth babes video, and I, a fan of LTT, should be allowed to enjoy it regardless of people afraid to let others see scantily clad women.

Have a wonderful day.

Precisely.. Just post it. If the booth babes decided to take up the job they are not afraid to be seen. And if they themselves are not afraid to be seen, why are you so concerned about it instead?

Funny, if you scroll down on that page further you'll find a link to a very specific type of sexism called "sexual objectification". Read up on it. You'll have your answer. 

Huh, I should have read up on it, and now I have. You're completely right, this is objectification. Even if it's objectification I'd still like it so be shown the whole picture of Computex, sexism is not a good enough reason to censor such an important part of how the companies display themselves.

Have a wonderful day.

But it's a stereotype, just like the ones that they are

It's irrelevant whether people think the "gamer/pc/tech community is sexist/misogynist if it isn't, it's just stereotyping. People who hate me or judge me completely based on what community/whatever I'm involved in aren't worth my time. I love PewDiePie, I love My Little Pony, I love cartoons, I love anime, I love consumer tech, I love PC games, I love 4chan, I love Rooster Teeth, I love LinusTechTips, there are people in every single one of these communities that create horrible stereotypes for others to judge you by. I want to see the booth babes video, and I, a fan of LTT, should be allowed to enjoy it regardless of people afraid to let others see scantily clad women.

Well, that's all fine, well, and good, as it's your opinion and can't technically be wrong, but I am opposed to the boldened part.

I care about those people. I want them to experience our community because it's awesome. And they won't if we just keep feeding their pre-conceptions about our community with crap that doesn't necessarily need to be here. Sure, other communities like us may do so, but we don't need to help them. So, using your own opinion as my own for a moment, I don't personally care for the opinion of someone who so easily disregards another person as "not worth my time". In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's even worse than stereotyping someone. In fact, it's basically the same thing. The only difference is that they might still consider you "worth" something. 

Not to mention this, Linus linked a video that essentially had the stuff that was in the video Linus would've posted. 

Yet here you are, still complaining. Baffling.

Huh, I should have read up on it, and now I have. You're completely right, this is objectification. Even if it's objectification I'd still like it so be shown the whole picture of Computex, sexism is not a good enough reason to censor such an important part of how the companies display themselves.

He posted a link, as I say above. That's not censoring.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

im gay so i really don't care :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Well, that's all fine, well, and good, as it's your opinion and can't technically be wrong, but I am opposed to the boldened part.

I care about those people. I want them to experience our community because it's awesome. And they won't if we just keep feeding their pre-conceptions about our community with crap that doesn't necessarily need to be here. Sure, other communities like us may do so, but we don't need to help them. So, using your own opinion as my own for a moment, I don't personally care for the opinion of someone who so easily disregards another person as "not worth my time". In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's even worse than stereotyping someone. In fact, it's basically the same thing. The only difference is that they might still consider you "worth" something. 

Not to mention this, Linus linked a video that essentially had the stuff that was in the video Linus would've posted. 

Yet here you are, still complaining. Baffling.

He posted a link, as I say above. That's not censoring.

You have found my humanity in seeing that I use the stereotypes like those that I claim to fight. The last standing valid point for my view has been destroyed by the link that Linus posted (thanks for telling me, I have to go back and look it up), so I hope you don't mind that I'm converting to yours. I'm aware I still don't have the whole stereotypes thing worked out for myself yet, but hopefully someday I will.

About the bolded text, that's just a plain insult. There's no reason to be mean here. I'm not complaining, I'm working things through with discussion between you and other forum members; we should help each other understand why our own positions make sense, or change someone's position to make sense.

Have a wonderful day.

We should just contact E3. CES, and Computex next time and ban women from whering stuff like that. (I'm being sarcastic.)

Comic-Con (or was it PAX) actually does that.

Have a wonderful day.

So the guy after more or increased hit counts on his video's was NOT going to post possibly the most viewed of this recent conference?

Yea, that'll be the day :D

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

So the guy after more or increased hit counts on his video's was NOT going to post possibly the most viewed of this recent conference?

Yea, that'll be the day :D

man are you gonna be bumed when you find out he didnt post it

man are you gonna be bumed when you find out he didnt post it

Don't worry he will, just imagine how much more WD view counts he'll get, cha ching! Unless he really wants to eat more ramen.

Just upload the video and if you are so upset about it then to bad for you. Its a video and the girls knew they where going to a computer show and they knew what they where being paid to do. There is nothing sexist about posting a video of some girls form the show. If you can't get over the fact that 80% or more of the people would like to see the video then you should contact your ISP and shutoff your connection.

Don't worry he will, just imagine how much more WD view counts he'll get, cha ching! Unless he really wants to eat more ramen.

He already said he's not going to, and it's been a couple days now. 

He already said he's not going to, and it's been a couple days now. 

Ramen it is then. B)

I assume you guys dislike his travel vlog videos as well, since they are not strictly technology and should therefore not be posted, correct? If you do enjoy them, then you are being very hyproticial.

There is no patriarchy, and you should NOT feel bad about liking James Bond. Holy crap what is wrong with you people? You seriously feel bad for liking James Bond? You are being brainwashed into self-hatered. The truth is, real sexism barely exists in the civilized countries. Feminists these days whine about extremely minor issues, and most real feminists and either pleased with the world we live in right now, or do not want to be associated with feminists since the group has gone from wanting equality to wanting males to feel bad about being males, and wanting women to have a lot of benefits men don't.

When was the last time you saw a feminist fight for something that would benefit a man? For example, how come men are the one who need to go to war while the women can sit safely in their home? Why is it that a lot of government programs designed to aid victims of things such as domestic violence or health research programs, heavily favors women? Why is it that a lot of men are publicly shamed and have their whole lives ruined by things such as false accusations of rape, even after being proven innocent (rape is one of those cases where "innocent until proven guilty" is thrown out of the window if you are a man, which is a whole other debate). What about male reproductive rights? That's a huge issue but it benefits women, so of course feminists don't want to talk about that. I could go on with a ton of examples where sexism against men exists, and next to no feminist says a single word, because they are too busy whining about how Lego selling purple Lego bricks to girls is sexism.

People having abortions in China just because the child is a girl? Nahh let's not do anything about that, we got bigger issue right now. Let's whine about some teenage boys wanting to look at models, who gets paid to look pretty, on the Internet instead. It's sooo oppressing to women, that these girls who willingly dress up and gets paid to do so will be looked at by people. God the horror!

If you're going to quote my post please quote the entire thing. Thank you!

I assume you guys dislike his travel vlog videos as well, since they are not strictly technology and should therefore not be posted, correct? If you do enjoy them, then you are being very hyproticial.

There is no patriarchy, and you should NOT feel bad about liking James Bond. Holy crap what is wrong with you people? You seriously feel bad for liking James Bond? You are being brainwashed into self-hatered. The truth is, real sexism barely exists in the civilized countries. Feminists these days whine about extremely minor issues, and most real feminists and either pleased with the world we live in right now, or do not want to be associated with feminists since the group has gone from wanting equality to wanting males to feel bad about being males, and wanting women to have a lot of benefits men don't.

When was the last time you saw a feminist fight for something that would benefit a man? For example, how come men are the one who need to go to war while the women can sit safely in their home? Why is it that a lot of government programs designed to aid victims of things such as domestic violence or health research programs, heavily favors women? Why is it that a lot of men are publicly shamed and have their whole lives ruined by things such as false accusations of rape, even after being proven innocent (rape is one of those cases where "innocent until proven guilty" is thrown out of the window if you are a man, which is a whole other debate). What about male reproductive rights? That's a huge issue but it benefits women, so of course feminists don't want to talk about that. I could go on with a ton of examples where sexism against men exists, and next to no feminist says a single word, because they are too busy whining about how Lego selling purple Lego bricks to girls is sexism.

People having abortions in China just because the child is a girl? Nahh let's not do anything about that, we got bigger issue right now. Let's whine about some teenage boys wanting to look at models, who gets paid to look pretty, on the Internet instead. It's sooo oppressing to women, that these girls who willingly dress up and gets paid to do so will be looked at by people. God the horror!

Pretty sure you're trolling but fuck it I'll bite. Feminists don't fight for men's rights because we already have the rights that they want equal access to. Similarly the civil rights movement didn't really touch oppression of whites, because they aren't oppressed. Additionally you'll note that most governments are predominantly run by men, so to say that the minority should be fighting for the rights of the majority who can quite literally just call and vote and do it is stupid.

Social programs about domestic violence and rape predominantly focus on woman because women are predominantly the victims.that's not to say that men can't be or that they aren't but when your a not for profit with limited funding you try to reach as many people as possible so that means focusing on the majority of victims.

This is such a bullshit argument. Yeah there are bigger problems in the world, what the hell do you want me to do about things happening in China from NY? Yes, I'm applied by a lot of shit that happens in China, yes I will express that distaste at every opportunity and do whatever I can to write the situation, that doesn't give you a free pass to say that we shouldn't also care about sexism in the world too. The position to booth babe is absolutely sexist. These women are hired, not for their talents or their minds, but because they can be used to attract the attention of men in a sexual way. It's not "do this job because we feel you help our product' its "go stand over there half naked for a bunch of dudes to gawk at you while they talk about technology." Sure they may not mind it, that doesn't make the position itself less objectifying and sexist.

I feel like I'm in r/men'sRights

Ramen it is then. B)

Right because clearly the guy with a house, a family, and now a second house he runs his business out of is so hurting for cash that not posting a video is going to kill Jim. Ever think that maybe integrity is more important than money?

Even my girlfriend says post it. She is into comic con dress up stuff and has an interest in this sort of thing

What a question! This should not even be asked but just be done!

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

If you're going to quote my post please quote the entire thing. Thank you!

I only quoted half of your post because the other half was not important to the point I was making. The whole "no Linus Tech Tips should only be able technology" argument is pretty much moot since a lot of people like the travel vlogs, which has just as much to do with technology as a booth babe video. It's very hypocritical to say "no it's not technology, don't post it" and then go "yes a new vlog video woho!". The fact that you dodge my question just strengthens the suspicion that you are a hypocrite.

Pretty sure you're trolling but fuck it I'll bite. Feminists don't fight for men's rights because we already have the rights that they want equal access to. Similarly the civil rights movement didn't really touch oppression of whites, because they aren't oppressed.

Wait wait wait... So what you're saying is that there is no inequality towards men, ever? There are no situations where women has it better than men? What about all the instances I mentioned before? Feminism is suppose to be about EQUAL rights, yet they do not do anything to get equal rights, what they want are more rights than men. Also, what rights does men have that women don't?

Additionally you'll note that most governments are predominantly run by men, so to say that the minority should be fighting for the rights of the majority who can quite literally just call and vote and do it is stupid.

I... What? What are you on about? Call and do what? Vote? Vote on what? I am sorry, but I really can't follow your thoughts here. Women aren't a minority. Women have just as much freedom to vote as men, and the fact is that in 2011, 50.8% of all the people in the US were women. If anything, it is the men who are the minority. You are really not making any sense right now.

Social programs about domestic violence and rape predominantly focus on woman because women are predominantly the victims.that's not to say that men can't be or that they aren't but when your a not for profit with limited funding you try to reach as many people as possible so that means focusing on the majority of victims.

That is in fact wrong. According to a study made by the British Crime Survey, there are more married men being abused than married women (by 2.3%), and yet most programs and attention is at women being abused. The same survey also showed that a lot less men actually report the abuse, compared to women (10% vs 29%). Also, not only are more men abused, but statistics also show that women accused for domestic violence gets less punishment, if they are even arrested at all (also higher chance that they completely avoid any punishment since domestic violence against men are not taken as seriously).

The position to booth babe is absolutely sexist. These women are hired, not for their talents or their minds, but because they can be used to attract the attention of men in a sexual way. It's not "do this job because we feel you help our product' its "go stand over there half naked for a bunch of dudes to gawk at you while they talk about technology." Sure they may not mind it, that doesn't make the position itself less objectifying and sexist.

In what way is this sexist? I think doing the opposite would be more sexist. Telling these models "no you're not allowed to be models because you are women. If you were men then we would hire you as models, but sadly you aren't".