Should we Post the Booth Babe Video?

LinusTech

I don't understand why are people arguing not to. Why is this even a question? If 'booth babes' are not supposed to be posted onto the LinusTechTips channel then Linus can uploaded onto his 2nd channel, LinusCatTips.

Yea, I think you should just post it, then if people don't like it then just don't watch it. It's not like there is nude pictures or something in it...

My Gaming PC: i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333MHz RAM (2x4), MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5 @ 1050-1100 MHz (Twin Frozr 3), Intel 330 Series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD, Corsair Carbide 500r Case, FSP Aurum Series Gold 700w PSU.

Keyboard: Corsair K90, Mouse: Corsair M60, Mousemat: Razer Vespula, Headset: SteelSeries 5Hv3, Monitor: ASUS VG248QE.

Lol whoever votes no and is a male is a bit stupid....

Agree.. Although if you look at the guys they look like they train to be Jedi's in there mom's basement...

While I don't really care if it's shown or not, (If it's there i'll watch it, if not then fine) I'm not dying too see it, and I don't see why people are getting so pissed off about it not being shown. I can understand that there are people who don't want to see it, but the people who do want to see it can see versions elsewhere, they can see them in the coverage and i doubt they would really be missing anything at all if it wasn't shown.

You guys got a compromise anyway in the live stream so why are there still even complaints!?

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

:( i dont get it from what i could see the video is already on youtube, can we atleast have the private link lol mabye just "accidentally " leak it on twitter

I don't understand why are people arguing not to. Why is this even a question? If 'booth babes' are not supposed to be posted onto the LinusTechTips channel then Linus can uploaded onto his 2nd channel, LinusCatTips.

im with this, its not like you have to watch the video, and this is at most a once a year type of thing

Avert your eyes!

The horror! You have shattered my innocence! How could you post such unscrupulous debauchery?!

Some quick thoughts. Oh dear me if the video is posted 13% of the forum members will be offended. Ever thought that by not posting the video 87% of the forum members will be offended? Secondly about objectification. So Sue from down the hall asks you to fix her computer. Does Sue look at you as a human being with hopes and feelings or as that dude who might fix her computer for free? Everybody practices objectification. Also the booth babes are eye candy not sex objects. Seriously for me the sexual response to visual material involves a considerable degree of nudity. The amount of skin exposure I see on the Youtube videos showing the Computex 2013 booth babes is exceeded by the skin exposure I see on the beach. The booth babes are pretty girls not sex objects.My 2 cents worth.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

you know... put it on linuscattips

I understand that you might want to keep up professionalism on linustechtips and techquickie

and from a company viewpoint a boothbabe video might not be the best advertisement

and linuscattips seems as more of a screwaround channel

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

there is a guy in the video

and who the hell could even get fully erect from this?

Are you saying that the PC superman wasn't hot as hell? Just look at him! How can you say no to such a good looking piece of handsomeness?

computex-2013-taiwan-rundown-superman-54

Some quick thoughts. Oh dear me if the video is posted 13% of the forum members will be offended. Ever thought that by not posting the video 87% of the forum members will be offended? Secondly about objectification. So Sue from down the hall asks you to fix her computer. Does Sue look at you as a human being with hopes and feelings or as that dude who might fix her computer for free? Everybody practices objectification. Also the booth babes are eye candy not sex objects. Seriously for me the sexual response to visual material involves a considerable degree of nudity. The amount of skin exposure I see on the Youtube videos showing the Computex 2013 booth babes is exceeded by the skin exposure I see on the beach. The booth babes are pretty girls not sex objects.My 2 cents worth.

I think the problem here is that 13% would be offended if it was posted, but a much smaller number would be offended if it wasn't posted (not all of the ~90% would be offended). Personally I don't really care if it's posted or not, I just dislike psudo-feminists, who doesn't have any real understanding of the subject ("other than oh men are evil"), who tries to preach how people should live their lives.

Speaking of people who are offended... I think Stephen Fry sums up my thoughts on people who say "I am offended by that".

I just want to point out that I'm likely not a feminist by anyone's standards. I'm also not offended by the video (which I haven't seen because I missed the live stream and haven't had time to watch the archive, assuming it's up).

I just don't like the way things are and would like to see them changed. I think "Community", while people who vote yes think "me", from what I've seen in this thread at least.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Are you saying that the PC superman wasn't hot as hell? Just look at him! How can you say no to such a good looking piece of handsomeness?

computex-2013-taiwan-rundown-superman-54

I think the problem here is that 13% would be offended if it was posted, but a much smaller number would be offended if it wasn't posted (not all of the ~90% would be offended). Personally I don't really care if it's posted or not, I just dislike psudo-feminists, who doesn't have any real understanding of the subject ("other than oh men are evil"), who tries to preach how people should live their lives.

Speaking of people who are offended... I think Stephen Fry sums up my thoughts on people who say "I am offended by that".

Time for another poll along the lines of "Are you annoyed,PO,agitated,disappointed etc. with the video not being posted." On a unrelated topic I saw the matter of posting the video doesn't display professionalism. What professionalism. An example of professionalism is being a salesman is putting on your three piece suit and saying "Yes sir,yes ma'am" to complete strangers so they will buy your product. This forum is the occasionally rowdy interaction of peers whose activities outside this forum which should be of little interest to non-technophiles. It's not for outsiders and as for people calling me attitudes sexist I don't care. I mean do the feminists care if  I think they are a bunch of tree hugging sheeple incapable of reading the lessons of history?

Interesting post on /. about E3 and sexism. It's basically the same thing we are talking about from what I can tell.

And it looks like the ones who voted no here aren't exactly alone in their view of what this stuff represents and does to our community. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

These folks are professional models.  If people do not like to look at them, they do not have a career.   Every time we turn on the television we're presented with nothing but professional actors and models whose fortunes rest of their appearance.  As I don't see any ugly people in Linus MG, I presume you understand the concept that people would rather look at attractive people vs unattractive people as well.

Imagine the logical opposite, what if you recorded 10 minutes of the ugliest people at the show.  Perhaps there was a 600lb man, with cystic acne and alopecia in the mix.  Have you received any requests for this footage?  If you were, what would the motivations be behind the request? How would you feel posting it?  I'd imagine you'd feel not only exploitative, but also mean-spirited.  In the end, each group is just people - yet one group will benefit from the exposure by adding the appearance to their portfolios, and one would be harmed.  Big difference.

Booth babes are part of the trade show experience.  Incorporating them in to your videos by having them hold or demonstrate products while you and/or the vendors explain the technical details presents a more polished and accurate portrayal of the experience without overly sexualizing it.  In the end, I think the footage would have been nicer and more diverse if it wasn't just Linus explaining the merits of yet another case.  Simple by adding a model who could open a chassis door or help position a product could add visual impact, variety, and improve the production value.      

TastyPC is a perfect example.  Great technical content with a well groomed and attractive person presenting.  Tweak either of those variables and the result is run-of-the-mill or just plain dumb.

Interesting post on /. about E3 and sexism. It's basically the same thing we are talking about from what I can tell.

And it looks like the ones who voted no here aren't exactly alone in their view of what this stuff represents and does to our community. :|

What do you mean "does to our community". So those who wanted the video to be shown are thought to be sexist. How many forum members care for the opinions of deluded feminists. I sure don't. Speaking of(dang is that bad grammar or an accepted colloquialism) so someone thinks your a sexist caveman because you a computer geek. Isn't that stereotyping? I mean some are but not you but they jumped to a conclusion about your viewpoints without taking the time to find out what you are really like. I don't think the opinions of hypocrites matter. Further you wish to further your self interest in gaining the approval of a certain group. I don't care about the approval of those who spout on and on about sexism but I seek to further my self interest in watching booth babe videos. So why should I diminish my self  interest to enhance your self interest. What's in it for me?

you were covering everything that was at Computex  ,so i would say yes.

show us every thing that was at Computex .

you guys were ( are eyes and ears )  @ Computex ,

as long as you remain professional. in the videos . ( like you always are)

any video you put out would be ok

if someone does not want to watch that youtube video then they don't have to hit ( play )

not all videos will be watched by everyone..

an  example

if 3% of the users . hate the video on the ( pink pc case ).. would you not post it?

( note. i did watch the pink pc case video and it was good.. this was just a example )

you guys did a awesome job .with the coverage at Computex

I just want to point out that I'm likely not a feminist by anyone's standards. I'm also not offended by the video (which I haven't seen because I missed the live stream and haven't had time to watch the archive, assuming it's up).

I just don't like the way things are and would like to see them changed. I think "Community", while people who vote yes think "me", from what I've seen in this thread at least.

If you really thought "community" you would realize over 80% of the "community" thinks its fine to post the video.  

No.

Its disgusting to objectify women like that. The video is going to serve no purpose other than to show that women are nothing more than eye candy.

How is it objectifying women?  Did the tech companies steal them from their families and force them to dress up in shorts or skirts and hold signs picturing their company logos?  No they did not.  They held auditions through a modeling agency these people (since not all were women btw) voluntarily south out and tried out for.  

If anything you are denying these people the chance to make some money and earn a living by trying to pretend this was anything but a completely voluntary process.  Why you wanna take food out of their mouths?  

If you really thought "community" you would realize over 80% of the "community" thinks its fine to post the video.  

You don't seem to understand, I don't care what the community thinks. I care how others view the community. 

It's like the old "customer is always right" mantra. They are always right... about what they want. How they think they should get it or whether they think it's right that they should get it isn't necessarily right.

† Christian Member †