Should we Post the Booth Babe Video?

LinusTech

Linus should have just unboxed one of the booth babes, making it completely relevant. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Whatever man chill out.

oh trust me, I'm quite chill. 

I won't say gay people are unnatural (since you can find homosexuals in other species) but they do not do what we were genetically programmed to do, which is eat and reproduce. If you don't think that we are "genetically programmed" for certain things then you need to go read some biology and human evolution.

We should be equal in terms of rights (and we already are) but people have to realize the fact that we are not equal in all areas (genetically). Studies proves that women have much faster reaction time when it comes to saving children from harm for example. It is also a hard and cold fact that men have a much easier time building muscles. Why? Because during our evolution the men were out hunting, and the women took care of the children. I am not saying that we should live like that today, but what I am saying is that there are still traces of such a time in our genes, and it makes men better at certain things and women better at certain things. You can call that sexism if you want, but all you're saying is "oh nature is so sexist, we should have evolved differently", which is pointless.

As for the whole "it's sexist" debate, if I was a model then I would be glad if people thought I was attractive and wanted to look at me, because that means I am doing a good job. How come people never complain about women ogling male models, yet as soon as a man wants to look at a female model we are all of a sudden oppressing the whole female gender?

Saying "oh you're not allowed to vote because you are a woman" or saying "oh women are only good for cooking and cleaning, because they are women" = sexism

Saying "yes I think that model, whose whole job is to look good and endorse a product, is good looking" != sexism

You've said it better then I did. But it was my point too equal (as humans) but with differences (as in not identical). As for the gene and genetics story: I was referring to the topic, because this "sexism debate"  is a cultural thing not a biological. I know it as a fact that genetics play a big role in our life it would be stupid of me to claim anything else. If you've read my other post, you would notice that my message was - stop being hypocrites. that's it. And yes there is nothing wrong with modeling and being good at it.  

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Just post it. People who dont want to see it simply ignore it unless its some kind of hypocrite

I feel like these huge blocks of unedited sexism ramblings strewn across my screen are SOOO just not what I care a damn about. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

I"m just gonna reiterate the following point:

The problem I have with the video being posted is that it will just reinforce outsiders' views that the gamer/pc/tech community is sexist/misogynist. 

Whether this video or posting it really is sexist/misogynist is completely irrelevant, because they will view it and us as such regardless if it were indeed posted.

That's why I don't want it posted and why I voted no. If anyone could have the ability to help change the outside worlds' perception of us, it'd be a community like LTT because our community is better than most already imo. However, if the video were posted, it would have just as much effect in the opposite direction reinforcing their view even more.

I think Linus' decision just reinforces my view of him as an awesome content creator in that he will make decisions that are best for the community he leads (basically) even if the community doesn't agree with it. It makes it even easier for me to trust him in what he says and does in videos about the things he reviews.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Linus please.. dont keep all the good stuffs for yourself.. sharing is caring..

I"m just gonna reiterate the following point:

The problem I have with the video being posted is that it will just reinforce outsiders' views that the gamer/pc/tech community is sexist/misogynist. 

Whether this video or posting it really is sexist/misogynist is completely irrelevant, because they will view it and us as such regardless if it were indeed posted.

That's why I don't want it posted and why I voted no. If anyone could have the ability to help change the outside worlds' perception of us, it'd be a community like LTT because our community is better than most already imo. However, if the video were posted, it would have just as much effect in the opposite direction reinforcing their view even more.

I think Linus' decision just reinforces my view of him as an awesome content creator in that he will make decisions that are best for the community he leads (basically) even if the community doesn't agree with it. It makes it even easier for me to trust him in what he says and does in videos about the things he reviews.

Technology = Event = Booth = Babe are the same things.. everyone in the world know and it not gonna change anything to our community.. :p

Technology = Event = Booth = Babe are the same things.. everyone in the world know and it not gonna change anything to our community.. :P

You are a person without a community/society kind of mind. 

You also don't understand human nature. We are judging species. Without explanation or context, it's what we do. And we often feel we don't have the time or desire to find that explanation or context for ourselves. 

But all the context or explanations in the world wouldn't change what that video is to the community.

And no, it's not all the same thing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You are a person without a community/society kind of mind. 

You also don't understand human nature. We are judging species. Without explanation or context, it's what we do. And we often feel we don't have the time or desire to find that explanation or context for ourselves. 

But all the context or explanations in the world wouldn't change what that video is to the community.

And no, it's not all the same thing.

And the 687 people (current count as of this post) that voted yes won't change their minds that you're absolutely wrong.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

MooseParade, on 13 Jun 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

And the 687 people (current count as of this post) that voted yes won't change their minds that you're absolutely wrong.

I like it when people give me reason to remind myself that might != right. Majority has the might in a democracy, but the bill of rights in the US constitution exists for a reason (*cough* because the majority can be wrong *cough*) Not that the US actually listens to the constitution, but not the point.

This not being a democracy is the best part. I find monarchies (or systems with a single ruler) with benevolent leaders who listen to the community but will deny/ignore them when they are obviously wrong is the best system. But that's just my personal opinion.

† Christian Member †

You should have cough checked out, sounds bad. Regardless, I don't even know why I made that post aimed at you or why I'm even still viewing this thread. What's done is done. The majority spoke, the dictator decided against them and the 13% of you rejoiced. End of story. New story, Armageddon keyboards is threatening legal action against LTT for false reporting.

I like it when people give me reason to remind myself that might != right. Majority has the might in a democracy, but the bill of rights in the US constitution exists for a reason (*cough* because the majority can be wrong *cough*) Not that the US actually listens to the constitution, but not the point.

This not being a democracy is the best part. I find monarchies (or systems with a single ruler) with benevolent leaders who listen to the community but will deny/ignore them when they are obviously wrong is the best system. But that's just my personal opinion.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Linus can simply upload it on a separate place and place a link for people who wants to see it and for those who don't the can simply ignore it.. As you can see we have 87+% yes and a minor 12+% no. Doesn't it already isn't the answer obvious? It's not worth sacrificing a few people for more. Neither does it ruin the channel as its shot from computex

If those of you that voted no say that it destroys the image blah blah and makes people look down blah blah then why does computex even hire booth babes? And then why all the tech people still head down to computex or even watch the videos by the tech people? Ain't you all contradicting yourself?

I actually thought, "why are they all blurred out in the intro" haha.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

What a bunch of [insert Jesse Ventura quote from Predator]

I joined the Linus Tech Tips community because it's tech centered.

It's a place where guys and girls can go and talk about upcoming technology, how they did their builds and so on.

A video about girls, to me, doesn't belong among the tech videos.

I  voted no, linus please don't post the video it has nothing to do with tech stay classy man.

I assume you guys dislike his travel vlog videos as well, since they are not strictly technology and should therefore not be posted, correct? If you do enjoy them, then you are being very hyproticial.

After skimming through this thread, I'm siding with the "No" side, their rationale just makes more sense. While I'm not the best at debating patriarchy since I do enjoy James Bond movies, Kate Upton and the Mr. Saxobeat music video, sometimes it does bug me and this is one of those times.

There is no patriarchy, and you should NOT feel bad about liking James Bond. Holy crap what is wrong with you people? You seriously feel bad for liking James Bond? You are being brainwashed into self-hatered. The truth is, real sexism barely exists in the civilized countries. Feminists these days whine about extremely minor issues, and most real feminists and either pleased with the world we live in right now, or do not want to be associated with feminists since the group has gone from wanting equality to wanting males to feel bad about being males, and wanting women to have a lot of benefits men don't.

When was the last time you saw a feminist fight for something that would benefit a man? For example, how come men are the one who need to go to war while the women can sit safely in their home? Why is it that a lot of government programs designed to aid victims of things such as domestic violence or health research programs, heavily favors women? Why is it that a lot of men are publicly shamed and have their whole lives ruined by things such as false accusations of rape, even after being proven innocent (rape is one of those cases where "innocent until proven guilty" is thrown out of the window if you are a man, which is a whole other debate). What about male reproductive rights? That's a huge issue but it benefits women, so of course feminists don't want to talk about that. I could go on with a ton of examples where sexism against men exists, and next to no feminist says a single word, because they are too busy whining about how Lego selling purple Lego bricks to girls is sexism.

People having abortions in China just because the child is a girl? Nahh let's not do anything about that, we got bigger issue right now. Let's whine about some teenage boys wanting to look at models, who gets paid to look pretty, on the Internet instead. It's sooo oppressing to women, that these girls who willingly dress up and gets paid to do so will be looked at by people. God the horror!

If those of you that voted no say that it destroys the image blah blah and makes people look down blah blah then why does computex even hire booth babes? And then why all the tech people still head down to computex or even watch the videos by the tech people? Ain't you all contradicting yourself?

Many booth babes love their job. There was an interview done by a Tara Babcock(model) at E3, and all the booth babes said they love their job.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Many booth babes love their job. There was an interview done by a Tara Babcock(model) at E3, and all the booth babes said they love their job.

Of course they do, they are paid EXTREMELY high wage per hour. Not to mention, if they said no, they would likely lose their job. Ask anyone in a recorded video if they like their job, of course they will say yes, out of fear of loosing that job.

"Booth Babes" reinforce the poor image people have on the tech industry. The image is that no one highly invested in tech could possibly get a girl, so to lure them over they place a bunch of scantily clad girls near their products. IF they were informed, worked for the company prior, worked security on the floor for products, and were more than just an emotionless object to catch your eye. Then they would have a place there. Unfortunately the booth babes in question are none of those.

If you want to see the booth babes, I suggest go looking at every other channel on youtube.

I voted No. I'm surprised this thread has gone on so long, it should have been locked several pages ago before it turns into a flame war.

Another note, it's nearly impossible to have an educated debate on sexism over the internet. While a bunch of comments come close, they lack a rebuttal from the children that want this video posted.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Please vote no guys, PC enthusiasts are already labelled as misogynists. The fact that electronics expos like Computex and E3 even HAVE booth babes is already sexist enough, we don't need to make it worse by literally posting a video for people to fap to. 

Not trying to be offensive but I have to disagree with you. I know it's a different market but what about the car sector? There's loads of girls on there with even more exposed skin and nobody complains there. I'm from Europe and over here nobody seems to care. 

I wouldn't call it sexist, that's a tad too far. But people always like a pretty girl to look at. Fair enough it is a computer channel and a computer event. But still, the booth babes wouldn't be there if so many people are against it. I personally consider it quite innocent. Cosplay is not considered sexist either is it? And usually there's a few of those on those expos.

This is in no means directed towards you ajoy39, they are just my general thoughts. I say upload the video. It's all good fun. I understand it's a delicate matter but wouldn't the world be a happier place if people didn't complain about girls in hot pants and tank tops. There so many worse things in the world we should worry about.

Wow, and I thought AMD vs Nvidia debates are bad.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Not trying to be offensive but I have to disagree with you. I know it's a different market but what about the car sector? There's loads of girls on there with even more exposed skin and nobody complains there. I'm from Europe and over here nobody seems to care. 

I wouldn't call it sexist, that's a tad too far. But people always like a pretty girl to look at. Fair enough it is a computer channel and a computer event. But still, the booth babes wouldn't be there if so many people are against it. I personally consider it quite innocent. Cosplay is not considered sexist either is it? And usually there's a few of those on those expos.

This is in no means directed towards you ajoy39, they are just my general thoughts. I say upload the video. It's all good fun. I understand it's a delicate matter but wouldn't the world be a happier place if people didn't complain about girls in hot pants and tank tops. There so many worse things in the world we should worry about.

For the record I'm against the idea in all industries precisely because of the "everybody likes a pretty girl to look at" mentality. That's all they're there for. They aren't hired to make an contribution to the product, just go stand over there and look pretty while the men talk about the specs. The majority of people aren't against it, which is why they exist, but that doesn't make it right. To make an extreme, very much not drawing a parallel, comparison in early America most people weren't against slavery, but that didn't make it okay. Again I'm not trying to compare this to slavery, just mentioning an example of how the majority being okay with something doesn't necessarily make it right. 

Cosplay isn't considered sexist because theirs a point behind it, and both genders are just as free to participate. No one is telling those girls to dress in revealing clothing to attract people to our product, they're dressing up as their favorite characters from games, movies, and comics, and unfortunately those characters are more often then not dressed in unrealistically revealing clothing. Which, again, is a problem I have with gaming culture (I game, this isn't someone from the outside throwing mud it's someone who participates seeing a problem) is that in a lot of cases female characters are designed to look sexy. Even if that means that a female character that you intending to send in to battle has 80% or more of here skin, including all of the vital organs, exposed. It's bullshit. It's hypersexualized for the sake of being hypersexualized. 

For the record I'm against the idea in all industries precisely because of the "everybody likes a pretty girl to look at" mentality. That's all they're there for. They aren't hired to make an contribution to the product, just go stand over there and look pretty while the men talk about the specs. The majority of people aren't against it, which is why they exist, but that doesn't make it right. To make an extreme, very much not drawing a parallel, comparison in early America most people weren't against slavery, but that didn't make it okay. Again I'm not trying to compare this to slavery, just mentioning an example of how the majority being okay with something doesn't necessarily make it right. 

Cosplay isn't considered sexist because theirs a point behind it, and both genders are just as free to participate. No one is telling those girls to dress in revealing clothing to attract people to our product, they're dressing up as their favorite characters from games, movies, and comics, and unfortunately those characters are more often then not dressed in unrealistically revealing clothing. Which, again, is a problem I have with gaming culture (I game, this isn't someone from the outside throwing mud it's someone who participates seeing a problem) is that in a lot of cases female characters are designed to look sexy. Even if that means that a female character that you intending to send in to battle has 80% or more of here skin, including all of the vital organs, exposed. It's bullshit. It's hypersexualized for the sake of being hypersexualized. 

This.

† Christian Member †