Should we Post the Booth Babe Video?

LinusTech

The 25K mark hasn't been reached. Your loyal viewers that did watch the vids deserve a reward, like a previously mentioned video displaying the tech of computex along with the respective models.

58 people infringed on the rights of 324, it truly is a sad day

Shows the lack of democracy

Honestly? If anyone was gonna post a video about the booth babes, I'd watch Linus' just because I'd expect for it to be respectable and as undemeaning as possible. If it were truly offensive, then why are there booth babes at hair expos where the audience is 99% female? I'm pretty sure someone would've complained, but just because it's the internet, it is suddenly wrong?

Well put my friend. No giveaway, no bonus video, the new consoles are overpriced, it's been a hell of a week.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Me Gusta :3

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

This forum is not a democracy. I set the unrealistic 90% goal so that ultimately it would be my call whether or not to post it. The decision was made by me after reading the posts in this thread, not from the results of the poll.

The sob story post about the people who don't want to do that job that has people staring at them was certainly moving, but the flip side of that argument is "Would they actually be better off if they were not employed at all? I guess they decided this was better..." If everyone refused to look at "booth babes" then they'd all be out of jobs, and the (likely fabricated, but certainly realistic) stories above would be about a bunch of people who AREN'T supporting their kids or getting through school by doing a job they're not happy with...

All of that said, I'm not some kind of women's rights expert (or so my wife informs me) so rather than make a decision based on arguments about a topic I understand not well enough, I instead focused on the arguments about our identity as a community.

If we wanted it to be about ogling girls we could hire girls to stand in front of a camera squishing a video card between their breasts and we could film it. That has never been our style. First and foremost this is a tech channel and a tech forum. There are lots of other sites where you can stare at girls (or guys... or animals for that matter) so it's unnecessary to post it here.

Polls are closed. Video will not be posted.

For those who are upset by this decision, I would like to direct your attention to

Some wet t-shirt is better than no wet t-shirt IMO.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I voted no, but I wouldn't mind watching it if it's unlisted.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

Linus, don't become tigerdirect, please

~Brynhildr~

Enclosure: CM: Windowed HAF 912; CCT Blue lighting | Motherboard: ASRock Pro4 Z77 | PSU: CM: Silent Pro Gold 800W | CPU: 3770K @ Stock | Cooler: Corsair H80 | GPUMSI GTX 780 (N780 3GD5/OC) | Memory: 16GB Patriot 1333 | Storage: Intel 335 Series, 240GB SSD; Seagate 1TB x2 RAID 0 | Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 | Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional | Monitor: Acer 23" | Audio: Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers; Bose Subwoofer; Koss Pro4AA Studio Headphones; Blue Snowball

Well put my friend. No giveaway, no bonus video, the new consoles are overpriced, it's been a hell of a week.

As for the giveaway, stay tuned.......

Just like the booth babe video, sometimes unrealistic goals are set, and then the rules are bent...

Just post whatever you want on your channel. Even if a bunch of audience leaves, another bunch will just come in and fill in the gap. It's your channel, don't let your audience control what you want to post.

LinusTech, on 11 Jun 2013 - 4:10 PM, said:

As for the giveaway, stay tuned.......

Just like the booth babe video, sometimes unrealistic goals are set, and then the rules are bent...

You said yourself that you set the goal unrealistically high so that in the end, you had the final call on posting the video. Why would you even present us with the option then? Why open the poll? The vast majority of this community wants to see it (85%). You've stated many times that you do this for the community. Then why give false hope and lead on the community if you had no intentions to follow through in the first place?

If it was to gain forum members then guess what? Mission accomplished. A lot of people made accounts just to be able to vote and comment. If they never had any hope they wouldn't have joined.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

This forum is not a democracy. I set the unrealistic 90% goal so that ultimately it would be my call whether or not to post it. The decision was made by me after reading the posts in this thread, not from the results of the poll.

The sob story post about the people who don't want to do that job that has people staring at them was certainly moving, but the flip side of that argument is "Would they actually be better off if they were not employed at all? I guess they decided this was better..." If everyone refused to look at "booth babes" then they'd all be out of jobs, and the (likely fabricated, but certainly realistic) stories above would be about a bunch of people who AREN'T supporting their kids or getting through school by doing a job they're not happy with...

All of that said, I'm not some kind of women's rights expert (or so my wife informs me) so rather than make a decision based on arguments about a topic I understand not well enough, I instead focused on the arguments about our identity as a community.

If we wanted it to be about ogling girls we could hire girls to stand in front of a camera squishing a video card between their breasts and we could film it. That has never been our style. First and foremost this is a tech channel and a tech forum. There are lots of other sites where you can stare at girls (or guys... or animals for that matter) so it's unnecessary to post it here.

Thank you Linus! As much as I love looking at girls... there's other "adult" websites for that, that we can visit. This is a tech channel and tech forum.. not a video card breasted girl oogling channel as you pointed out haha. You made a good call sir. :)

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

I've put the long part in spoiler because I want to agree to the other part.  I feel the same, LinusTechTips is a tech channel and a tech forum. I always loved the unboxings no matter if you wanted to go professional or a more relaxing way, because in the end all that mattered is that I've got all the information I need/or would need of the product from you in a clear matter. Using girls would gains some new subscribers but would loose allot more.

I see no reason why not too. Its part of the show.

I agree to this too, it's only normal to have them. But they were there in almost all of Slick's reviews. That should be enough, otherwise turn to another channel check them out then come back. All done. As of posting the video, as I already mentioned in a post above, if it's unlisted I don't mind it, I would even watch it. Otherwise I voted no.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

You said yourself that you set the goal unrealistically high so that in the end, you had the final call on posting the video. Why would you even present us with the option then? Why open the poll? The vast majority of this community wants to see it (85%). You've stated many times that you do this for the community. Then why give false hope and lead on the community if you had no intentions to follow through in the first place?

The option was there because not everyone posts in a thead, but people are much more likely to vote in a poll. It's a great way for me to evaluate the overall sentiment before making a decision.

More than anything else, the poll gives me some additional numbers to consider: posting it will offend 15% of the audience, while not posting it is a neutral action.

I don't think anyone has any problem with a more natural integration of the booth babes into the videos such as when the videos about technolgoy happen to CONTAIN booth babes, but I understand how people may object to us removing the technology completely and JUST focusing on the booth babes.

My full rationale is posted above. This is a tech community, and it feels like I'd be setting a bad example by making it about something that's not really tech... Sure, Computex is tech, and the booth babes are part of Computex, but if we separate them out, then it's not really tech anymore.

Oh cool, 85% of the people want something, and they are shut down.  Nice to see the US model of democracy in action on LTT Forums.  :rolleyes:

The option was there because not everyone posts in a thead, but people are much more likely to vote in a poll. It's a great way for me to evaluate the overall sentiment before making a decision.

More than anything else, the poll gives me some additional numbers to consider: posting it will offend 15% of the audience, while not posting it is a neutral action.

I don't think anyone has any problem with a more natural integration of the booth babes into the videos such as when the videos about technolgoy happen to CONTAIN booth babes, but I understand how people may object to us removing the technology completely and JUST focusing on the booth babes.

My full rationale is posted above. This is a tech community, and it feels like I'd be setting a bad example by making it about something that's not really tech... Sure, Computex is tech, and the booth babes are part of Computex, but if we separate them out, then it's not really tech anymore.

By posting you may have offended 15% (some of those have already stated that while they voted no, they would have watched it if it was posted) but you disappointed the other 85% by not posting. If that was your intention then you did a great job. It would have been much easier to make it a private video and make a separate post with the link for those that wanted to watch it. You chose the 15% over the majority. That, in itself, is disappointing.

On youtube is already a booth babe video 

but it still sucks linus, that you gave us an unrealistic chance to see the video!

My only input is simply - treat the "booth babes" as you would want your own daughter treated.

This whole thread was 100% pointless.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Democracy is not a perfect system and the majority is not always correct. Besides, it's not like I'm preventing you from seeing anything you can't find somewhere else.

Our video was basically the same as this: 

We've just opted to keep our channel about the tech.

This whole thread was 100% pointless.

Pretty much. The tweets, the poll, the thread. Pointless.

Democracy is not a perfect system and the majority is not always correct. Besides, it's not like I'm preventing you from seeing anything you can't find somewhere else.

Our video was basically the same as this: 

We've just opted to keep our channel about the tech.

Morality is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to morality.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think it's sad that the "sexist" argument is so often used to defend people who never asked to be shielded. A lot of times, these "social wrongs" arguments tends to be a oneway street in favor of those who historically have been considered the weaker members of society. Times have changed, who is weak in society now has very little to do with who was weak before. This has to stop, people need to rethink and take a good look at their perception of the world. A lot of the victims out there victimize themselves to reap the benefits of their labeling.

I know a few girls who does modeling, one even did fairly well in some international beauty contests, and they love the attention. They know damn well that they have hot bodies and beautiful faces, but for some reason it's always talked about men who use women for their bodies, rarely is it talked women who use their bodies to control men. From these girls I know, I also know that girls who appear at shows like that probably works for modeling companies, and companies like that rarely have to do much recruiting to get new talent, lots of girls who aren't currently doing any modeling would want to if the chance arises.

It's nothing sexist by any male who are attracted to a beautiful female body, I would rather say that the girls are sexist because they take advantage of the nature which is hardwired into most male brains. Sex is natural. Sexual attraction is natural. Denying this is unnatural. Using that attraction for ones own advantage is opportunistic. Who is getting played?

Okay guys come on... the decision is final, go find another video on Youtube about the girls. Please lets not make this a bigger thing than it actually is.... this isn't OCN.. I've gotten so sick of that forum... Lets all be excited about the giveaways! :) Its LinusTechTips!

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |