Terrorist's Mother Blames Son's Actions on Video Games

What did they blame it on before video games were invented?

Music, books, satanic rituals, witchcraft, drugs... heck most of the original drug scare, and laws, were simply thinly veiled racism, and that led to credence being given to the evils and psychopathy inherent to drug use.

crazy? yes? terrorist? I think so, lone wolf or not 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/world/americas/ottawa-canada-gunmans-radicalism-deepened-as-life-crumbled.html?_r=0

Of course, we have to blame EVERYTHING other than the most probable source, religions. Unlimited faith in a superstition with no grounding in reality, which most sane people would classify as a mental disorder.

Edit: Am I the only one surprised that NYT didn't find a way to shoehorn the word "assault" somewhere in the description of the rifle? lol

Stop. You are making things 10x worse, and you're no better than the mother by saying this. In fact, you're worse.

Yeah sure, blame everybody and everything else for something that is a responsibility of a parent. Not everybody is fit to have a child, you should at least know some basic psychology to raise a child.

*grabs potato chips since I ran out of popcorn in the other thread*

Thought so...

I know, let's blame things on water next! Everyone drinks water! The kind guy in the corner, that kind cop over there, that terrorist who just shot an RPG, Obama...

See the connection?

/s

I'm getting tired of this games and violence thing... They keep on generalizing things and they overlook individual psychology which plays a bigger role...

As a gamer, I could just as easily blame her for raising a shit son and my reasoning would be far more valid since she had a direct connection in terms of bonding.

This is a peaceful TECH forum. @GamerDad Here, we don't blame someone based on fabricated, illogical rumors. I hope you will be more thoughtful about the choice of words, "TERRORIST". Politicians and news will use this incident into anything to earn popularity.

In Canada, we don't want to turn a tiny seed into a huge tree. Homicide is a homicide and we don't want to create an international incident. For the people around the world, let us deal with our own problem. People will always spread rumors for their own benefits, but we won't give into them. People need not more, but proper education. People make stupid choices, we should learn from stupid people.

PS: Screw Justin Bieber.

Guys calm down, you are wasting the chance of a pretty peaceful debate about a serious issue, please try to be open minded, both of your points are valid. Sadly, many religious individuals sometimes forget that not all good comes from prayer, as always said in my religion good comes from good work and not just prayer, but keep in mind that we believe (we believe it's your choice if you don't) that prayer bring peace to our minds as well so we choose not to ignore it.

Outside of this, I'd like to point out the serious issue of groups like ISIL benefiting from the weak minded and depressed for their propaganda is the real issue here, we should seriously educate the public on how being open minded and staying far off conflicts unless your absolutely threatened is the way to go, it's a human nature to avoid conflict after all and we must try to promote it. Hatred, hasty generalisation and dogemantisim (sorry couldn't spell it  :() will only make it worse.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Terrorism typically insinuates it was a means to an end. Consciously applying terror to provoke a wanted response. When its a crazy doing crazy things its not terrorism.

Although to be fair even this definition means non-violent or non-lethal actions could also be considered terrorism. But, it seems to be universally agreed upon that terrorism is violence used to strike fear in order to further an agenda.

I haven't heard much on motivation other than psychosis.

The mother should be blamed for not taking enough interest in her child's life before it was too late.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Makes me wonder what they blamed acts of violence on before the advent of comic books/video games/movies. Surely they couldnt blame violence on video games 1000 years ago right?

This "Videogames make you a terrorist" crap is so full of shit it might as well have come from Ubisoft....

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

That's essentially what I was saying, religion is a psychological issue. It's an opiate for people who can't make sense of life or the world, or who cannot find a true purpose in life and need something to give them a purpose, even if it's a completely artificial (and if you really look at it, a self defeating one) purpose.

I blame religions for perpetuating mental disorders (of a sort, both ignorance and dementia) and in fact encouraging them. Read the above. I'm not saying if you are religious you are going to kill someone, I'm saying if you are religious you have what I would call a mental disorder of some sort. They "deny reality and substitute their own" in a way.

How am i denying reality?

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

What a surprise she's trying to find an excuse for her shitty attempt at parenting.

this right here.....

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

they can blame anyone they like, but the simple fact of the matter is mental disability or not, if you remove someones freedom the end result will be fighting.  In this case the likelihood of a psych condition would only speed up that process. 

And please stop talking about religion, It is just as ignorant to blame wars on religion as it is to blame violence on video games.  There is no evidence to link either of them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

He is a terrorist. He caused mayhem and terrorized people.

So did the crazy hobo guy that got naked in the subway and started jerking off. Crazy yes. Terrorist no.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

He is a terrorist. He caused mayhem and terrorized people.

He directly attacked soldiers.  That act points towards a enemy combatant, if anything.  The dude who chopped someone's head off on a bus terrorized people too, but the label terrorist doesn't mean what it used to.  Domestic terrorist perhaps, but I think even that is flimsy given he was clearly unglued.

The CBC radio made a good point the other day, they said that even though this dude expressed some radical islamic bologna, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a radicalized ISIS whatever.  Looking at a website and then spouting islamic religious crap doesn't mean he has anything to do with the actual ISIS group.  Crazies tend to be drawn towards whatever the current movement is.  Right now it's radical islam, in the past it was greenpeace or al-queda.  Before that it was the FLQ or the IRA.  Crazy underneath a thin veneer of a "movement" doesn't mean anything.

This guy tried to get himself institutionalized by robbing a mcdonalds with a stick.  If anything it speaks to the failure of our canadian system in getting people the help they need in regards to mental health issues.  It doesn't have anything to do with the middle east or terrorists.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

anyone who writes or sais something like that should be ashamed,its not because of video games its because of peoples stupidity

Hmm, maybe religion caused your son to kill, not video games.  Check your parenting at the door please!

Quite true, do have a look at the videos from Thunderfoot about her if you haven't yet. He's not even a gamer, and but as rational scientist he gets it, and can't stand her lies.

Men by nature are more violent, due to far higher amounts of testosterone in their system. It's something kids learn in school about the differences between men and women. It's no shock that men as a result are stronger, bigger, and more aggressive by nature. She's just trying to ignore scientific fact, and actual peer reviewed studies to push her own "it's the patriarchy" drivel.

Well, all of this is due to evolutionary traits, men from an evolutionary stand point are intended more to get food and ward off rivals, women are more intended to raise and protect young. I for one have heard several good arguments about how society is becoming more violent because either men are raising the children, or no one is but the TV. This whole thing is just another case of "can't blame the parents, blame everyone else". It's a sad state of affairs when you can't blame the person/s who should have raised the child better, because it might offend someone.

Women tend to do a better job caring for and raising young because women have a more gentle nature than men do (which is proven, men tend to be more aggressive and more short tempered do to heightened testosterone), so what happens when the man has to raise the child because the mother was at work? I'm not saying women shouldn't be allowed to work, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that more and more often these days, either it's a single mother raising a child (so the TV or a baby sitter most of the time because the mother has to work) or a stay at home dad raising the child.

Are men partially to blame for the increase in single mothers? Sure, most men that I know that have girlfriends are asshats that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, but then again women aren't entirely without blame either. As always, the parent's make the child, the parents should be held equally responsible.

Edit: Please note, I am speaking in general terms, there are of course exceptions, moms with bad tempers, dads who are great with kids etc, but those tend to be more the exception than the rule.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Before anyone says anything about this i suggest you look at reddit.com/r/conspiracy

Are men partially to blame for the increase in single mothers? Sure, most men that I know that have girlfriends are asshats that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, but then again women aren't entirely without blame either. As always, the parent's make the child, the parents should be held equally responsible.

It's plain old parenting. It's like people Demanding toys and games be removed because their child "might" play it or be influenced by it.

Well, why can't You as a parent teach them the differences between reality, fiction,/make believe, and actually control what your children do and don't do when you're around?

I distinctly remember my folks sitting me down after we got games on our first computer to try and explain the differences between a game, and the real world. That magic is make believe and not real, and they controlled what TV shows and movies I watched, while sitting in with me on PG and PG13 ones.

I wasn't allowed to watch overtly violent shows, or movies without them with me, and I wasn't just left alone in front of a TV or game.

It's like parents these days buying Call of Duty which is age restricted to 18 year olds, and then blaming the game for teaching them bad habits ( mostly the vile community in the games online service).

I mean really now, it's common sense to take care of and educate your child. Then again common sense is not that common it seems. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I lost faith in humanity ages ago when people are still completely stiff to define "terrorism".

By "video games" she must mean "I was a bad mother and nothing else."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.