AMD Donates $1.00 Off Each Sale To Breast Cancer Research

Opcode

Those tax write-offs

Exactly. This is a corporate tax write off. It'll cost AMD nothing in the long run to do this, its just for PR and goodwill. 

Donating it fine, but corporations don't donate out of the goodness of their hearts, rather the balances on their books.

Donating is donating, you think the places that get this money give a shit why they got it? No. They take it and use it, they don't care why it was given. 

well just a few dollars wont help finding a cure against cancer. we need more very intelligent scientists and such to find a cure

If every donator had that line of thought no organization would ever receive any funding because "My amount isn't enough to make a difference anyway". Its the collective sum of donations that add up and make a difference.

If AMD sells 5 Million products during the initiative's run, then at $1.00 per sale that's $5 Million donated. Heck, even if its only $1 Million, that would still be $1 Million more donated than without the initiative.

Jesus, even if they donated five-fucking-dollars-and-thirty-six-cents, its still better than zero dollars.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Guys, guys. Just stop it, those saying that AMD isn't doing good, just stop and take look at yourself and what you are saying.

This is no way show everyone what kind of a community LTT is. You are making me ashamed.

So what if it's 'only' a dollar? A dollar is still a dollar, and every cent help.

Exactly. This is a corporate tax write off. It'll cost AMD nothing in the long run to do this, its just for PR and goodwill. 

Donating it fine, but corporations don't donate out of the goodness of their hearts, rather the balances on their books.

Donating is donating, you think the places that get this money give a shit why they got it? No. They take it and use it, they don't care why it was given. 

Yep, and like every story there are three sides.

For everyone who is hard in one corner read this:

http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/?page_id=1088

It'll make you think a little differently about the intentions of big companies and whether or not it is always such a good thing.

my personal favorite:

Benzene and formaldehyde for the cure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Better than 0. Especially seeing as AMD's selling rate is probs pretty high.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Yet again at least they are trying....

Yeah.... next time you are asked to help lifting something, use only the tip joint of your pinky, insist you are "at least trying" and see how well that goes down. smh

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

So much negativity and idiocy from fellow LTT members. The sale consists of APU's, which make up nearly 75% of AMD's microprocessor sales. Who cares if they only sell 100,000 units, that's still $100,000 towards research. Lets see any single LTT forum member come up with that kind of money and donate it to charity, it's not going to happen. AMD is down and hurting and they are still willing to give out to others for no reason at all.

AMD is not a small company? they turn over over 5 billion dollars a year!

This 1$ on the selection of products could easily cost them over 100K

Its a Good thing they are doing....

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Why not equal ammounts to Breast cancer AND Prostate cancer? You know, considering that they have similar mortality rates and only affect one gender each...

(True, men can get Breast cancer, but you'd have to be VERY unlucky, only 75 deaths were reported in one year compaed to 11K for women and 10K for men with prostate cancer)

It's money for research, not aid. Considering breast cancer has been quite active the last years, while prostate cancer started getting attention way back in the day, I think it's fair to devote goods to the scientific community that is trying to slow down the pace of this major death cause.

Why is breast cancer so researched?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well what would you expect now guys with a women as AMD CEO Lisa Su... more female drama.They should donate 1$ from each sale to R&D research of new High End Desktop CPU before intel starts selling us rebranded haswells as SkyLake with microcode tricks to show 14/10nm while still 22.

/thread

Why is breast cancer so researched?

Because everyone loves tata's.

Well with the big amount of sales it can be a pretty big sum of money even at 1 dollar.

As for "they are just doing it for good PR/avoiding tax", well 1 dollar to cancer research is still 1 dollar to cancer research no matter why it was donated.

I think this is good of AMD.

Sometiems I get the feeling that Cancer research was completed a long time ago and was never put into production because hospitals would lose money. I could see this crumby world pulling garbage like that.

nutty conspiracys aside, good for AMD.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Any money donated to cancer research is good money donated to cancer research. No matter what the incentive is for AMD, no matter what select products it's being run on, no matter how much is actually donated, at least they are donating money, which is more than most people and companies can say. I fully support them in this initiative, but I would prefer it if they donated to a number of cancer research groups, not just breast cancer.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

$1.00 on $100 products? -,-

And? the profit margins aren't 95% either. more like 20-30 in technology.

When having alot of sales a dollar each is pretty much more donated to breast cancer research than you will ever donate to anything.

If goverment of every "1st world" country wanted to cure any type of cancer there would already be a cure. But everybody is busy making money.

With countless decades of research spent on cancer there is no way in hell the human kind is not capable of making the cure.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Sometiems I get the feeling that Cancer research was completed a long time ago and was never put into production because hospitals would lose money. I could see this crumby world pulling garbage like that.

That doesn't make sense in a lot of countries such as Sweden, Canada, the UK, probably most of the rest of Europe and so on because we have free health care. Hospitals would lose less money if less people got sick.

inb4 Intel does the same and doubles what AMD is doing.

Donate money to prevent the U.S. Guardian Angle watching over you or bring you democracy. We have more serious threat than cancer research, like child death and stuff.

It makes no sense because you can't get money from a dead man. It's more profitable to say "here's a cure to cancer, that'll be 1 million dollars" instead of "here's chemo, it might or might not work, that'll be 250,000 dollars."

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

It makes no sense because you can't get money from a dead man. It's more profitable to say "here's a cure to cancer, that'll be 1 million dollars" instead of "here's chemo, it might or might not work, that'll be 250,000 dollars."

I work in prostate research.

We burn tens of millions a year in combined studies and trials and experiments drugs and protocols.

If we have a cure, then damn, we are bad at profiting off it. We wouldn't be pulling this crap if we had a cure. I personally wouldn't be managing a 2.2k patient study if we did.

You people make me ashamed to post around these forums. Every dollar spent on any cancer research is more money than they had originally

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

only $1.00 to protect and cure one of mankinds most valuable resources?

For shame, FOR SHAME!

I don't understand AMD's marketing team sometimes...

$1.00 on $100 products? -,-

From select parts. Like 500 dollar parts.

and how many cents per part are nvidia or intel putting towards this? 0 cents.

fuck off. A good thing is still a good thing.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB