Sleep vs Shut Down

So you use a test bench or face the window of your case towards your bed?

No but light reflects from objects near my room. (and no they are not shiny but then niether is a while wall that you happen to see thanks to light boucing from it)

I've tried putting my computer to sleep instead of shutting down for the past couple of days, I have had 5 Windows hangs in 2 days and each time I would have to manually restart the PC with the reset button. I think I will go back to shutting it down every night.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I've tried putting my computer to sleep instead of shutting down for the past couple of days, I have had 5 Windows hangs in 2 days and each time I would have to manually restart the PC with the reset button. I think I will go back to shutting it down every night.

Sounds like time for a format  :) Try it with a clean install, then start loading all your programs back on and then you may find the offending program/driver or the issue may not come up again. Sleep is great IMO

Sounds like time for a format  :) Try it with a clean install, then start loading all your programs back on and then you may find the offending program/driver or the issue may not come up again. Sleep is great IMO

Does shutting down every night stress or damage the hardware?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Electricity bill and noise.

Main reasons why i it shut down personally! (obvious :D )

:D

I'm guessing you're comparing shutting down to leaving it on? As leaving it in sleep mode produces no noise since no fans will be running and also electricity usage is within margin of error being off vs sleep, systems actually can use a few watts while 'off' and sleep only uses a couple more. 

No, not at all, hardware wise it's the same as waking from sleep. The components still have to "start up". I know some people have the idea that leaving their computer on 24/7 will prolong it's life but they're really just using more electricity and $ :lol:

I should also note that any sleep troubles may be fixed by updating the bios but I would leave that as one of the last resorts.

don't forget you are using your computer in this earth.. It'll be wise if you keep things nice and controlled

90% Of the time i sleep it, maybe once or twice i week i will actually shut it down.

Maybe you should hibernate the system so you don't lose data if the power goes out but have faster boot time than shutting it off

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

i shut down my PC for 2 reasons. First is i sleep in the same room with my PC so noise from fans and the lights from the fans and keyboard. second is to save power even thou it might be so little might be kinda pointless but any extra $$ in my pocket is a good thing.

Seems weird, I advise you to indeed try a clean install or a BIOS update.

Absolutely not. Just as yanking out the power cord while the pc is working isn't bad for the hardware (it is not that great for software).

When you shut your PC down do you also switch of the PC via the PSU or just shut it down but leave the PSU on? Any ill effects from doing either of these?

I switch off my PSU after shutting down, but this is only because my PSU coilwhines while the PC is turned off :(

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Personally I do a bit of both. Since school I would turn off my computer at night and during the day but when I get home and I step away from teh computer I would just put it to sleep. But on the weekends it goes to sleep since I get up pretty early and use my computer again.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I've been using sleep on 7 for two years before I installed 8 and never had a single problem. When you sleep, your system is still OFF, your components aren't running and aren't powered on.

About server hardware:

Keep in mind that things like an Intel Xeon and an Intel Core i7 are exactly the same chips.

The only reasons Xeons are so expensive are

1. Not every chip has every core functioning, meaning that only a select few are suited to be 6-cores
  2. Intel does a burn-in on the Xeons, that ensures they are stable,
  3. you have a longer warranty on them.

A burn-in consist of running the chip on full power for x amount of time while it's in an oven at 80 degrees Celsius (don't quote me on that, I don't know the exact numbers for Intel specific). They are the same chips and as long as your i7/i5 survives the first few months, it will be just as well suited to run 24/7 as the Xeon is.

Hmmmm, how much RAM do you have? When your system gets sluggish, open up resource monitor, go to the 'memory' tab, order the list you get by 'hard faults/sec' so that the biggest is on top and post a screenshot here.

Example:

attachicon.gifresmon.png

i think by server hardware he means ecc, which would prevent any errors

i have my computer on 24/7 running two servers and every month or so it randomly crashes

im wondering if ecc would help keep everything in perfect condition...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i think by server hardware he means ecc, which would prevent any errors

i have my computer on 24/7 running two servers and every month or so it randomly crashes

im wondering if ecc would help keep everything in perfect condition...

How much GB of RAM do you have?? ECC only makes sense when you have a lot af jigabytes!

I'm running a home server 24/7/365 (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6392-knex-server/) and it doesn't crash at all... I'm using Linux, though. Servers=Linux

How much GB of RAM do you have?? ECC only makes sense when you have a lot af jigabytes!

I'm running a home server 24/7/365 (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6392-knex-server/) and it doesn't crash at all... I'm using Linux, though. Servers=Linux

yeah linux would be the best solution

but i also record and do video editing and gaming

so windows is better for me

i have 16gb of ram, but i need to get 32 cause im capping out a lot

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah linux would be the best solution

but i also record and do video editing and gaming

so windows is better for me

i have 16gb of ram, but i need to get 32 cause im capping out a lot

16GB is not enough to have frequent bitflips. The chance of that happening is just waaaaaay too small. I think the crashes are probably due to software errors.

At 64 GB, ECC starts to be a viable choice.

Also, to use ECC, you must have a pc with a Xeon chips and that is just awefully expensive

yes it is a problem. On the long run. It isn't good for your computer. TO keep your computer in good condition always shut it down, when you go to sleep. If you are just going ot for 1 hour or something it isnt a problem. And most Importantly ALWAYS SHUT COMPUTER DOWN WHEN MOVING IT. If you don't you can risk harming the harddrives witch arent completely shut of when in sleep mode.

Wrongo. When in sleep mode, the hard drives are shut off. The only thing receiving power is really RAM(besides the clock). Leaving your computer in Sleep Mode will NOT harm your computer. In fact, my laptop spends much of its time in Sleep Mode. As people have said, it's just a fancy off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Would the RAM overheat if the computer is left on sleep for 12 hours?

no

• 7 months later...

I, for one, shutdown my computer every night before I sleep, though I am wondering if I should put it to sleep instead for faster "wake" or boot. I want your opinions, what do you guys prefer to do with your rigs at night?

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

I, for one, shutdown my computer every night before I sleep, though I am wondering if I should put it to sleep instead for faster "wake" or boot. I want your opinions, what do you guys prefer to do with your rigs at night?

I turn off my monitor...

I turn off my monitor...

Added this option of leaving the PCs on in the poll

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Added this option of leaving the PCs on in the poll

:D

I shut down my desktop PC every night. My MacBook on the other hand I will only completely shut down if I'm having a problem with it (once every 2 months or so), other than that it will only be sleeping.