Sleep vs Shut Down

My computer has been on for months at a time, I put it to sleep overnight. No issues. The only time it ever restarts is due to updates, or if I need to move it around (rarely).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I use sleep with the occasional shut down.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Well sleep is good for you. But your body shutting down is rather bad for you....

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

To sum all the above posts, do whatever you feel like it won't make much difference unless you're still using <1GB of RAM and are very worried about the electricity bill.

Just do what I do and leave your system on 24/7 like me.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I shut my computer down each night. I am thinking of leaving it on because my boot times are getting stupidly long. If I can go to the bath room and make a bowl of cereal before my pc turns on thats just sad.Or im really really fast.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Do you have ANY idea how a computer works, what power states are and how Windows operates under the hood? There isn't a single thing in your statement that is true.

Ask yourself this question: if RAM doesn't overheat when you are working on your computer, or, in other words, when you are constantly doing memory operations (e.g. moving things in and out of the memory) and it has to work hard. Why would it overheat when it just needs to sit there, remembering your data as it was when you put your computer to sleep.

Let me explain what Windows does when you tell it to shut down, sleep or hibernate. For this explanation to make sense, you need to know that, during normal operation, Windows puts every thing you're working on into RAM (e.g. Windows itself, programs that are open, data that is loaded into programs, etc., etc...). When you tell it do a multiplication of 5 and 6, it stores 5 and 6 in RAM and when you press the = button in calculator, it moves 5 and 6 from RAM to the CPU, the CPU calculates 5*6 and puts the result (30) back in RAM.

Now, when you:

• Shut down: Windows closes all running programs (removing them from RAM), logs you out, saves your settings and powers down your PC. The only thing left that is running is the Real Time Clock (RTC).
  • Sleep: Windows "pauses" the execution of programs. All of the data stays in RAM. Windows puts your computer into sleep state, meaning that the only things left running are the RTC and your RAM, so it doesn't lose your data. (RAM is known as volatile memory, meaning that it loses its data when power is removed)
  • Hibernate: as with sleep, Windows "pauses" the execution of programs. After that it creates a file on your HDD/SSD called "hiberfil.sys", containing everything that the RAM contains. After that, it shuts down (so the exact same procedure as shut down, exit Windows and power down). The only thing that is left running is the RTC (in other words: your computer is OFF).

When you power on and your pc was:

• shut down: this is known as a "cold boot". Your pc starts up, POSTs and starts loading Windows. Windows Initializes hardware, drivers, etc, etc. You log in and create a new session.
  • sleeping: your pc starts up, resuming execution of the last instruction the CPU was asked to do, it's as if your PC never even stopped.
  • hibernating: your pc starts up as if it were a cold boot. The system POSTs and starts loading Windows. Windows however, starts loading the RAM with the contents of hiberfil.sys, thus putting your pc in the same state as it was before it stopped.

I hope this shows you that there isn't any risk in using sleep or hibernate. You do not need to shut down Windows, unless you want to update components that are actively in use (e.g. system files).

That was really helpful, thank you so much! One quick question: I have noticed that after I resume from sleep, my RAM usage is considerably lower than it was before I put my computer to sleep, and also Windows feels a lot snappier and more response. Why is this?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That was really helpful, thank you so much! One quick question: I have noticed that after I resume from sleep, my RAM usage is considerably lower than it was before I put my computer to sleep, and also Windows feels a lot snappier and more response. Why is this?

What do you mean by 'considerably'? Everything should be exactly the same as before. Are you sure you aren't being subjective?

If there is really less RAM usage when waking up, then I suggest you check out the number of processes before and after sleeping.

If your question is answered, don't forget to mark the answer ;)

What do you mean by 'considerably'? Everything should be exactly the same as before. Are you sure you aren't being subjective?

If there is really less RAM usage when waking up, then I suggest you check out the number of processes before and after sleeping.

If your question is answered, don't forget to mark the answer ;)

After using my computer for a long time everything becomes sluggish, and then if i put it to sleep and wake it up it becomes responsive again

I just keep my computer on all the time and reboot it twice a month or so.

the board is in such a low power state that it really isnt necessary to switch off the psu

I turn my PSU off because my awesome ROG motherboard has way too many lights (I like darkness if i want to sleep) for me to fall asleep with.

I always do a full shutdown. I think it's good to let your components take a break, including all the fans that continuously drag dust into your system. My system boots in as little as eight seconds.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Depends. Win7 had a huge bug where it would not wake from a sleep and post would give errors. Not sure if its fully fixed.

Unless you're running on server hardware, its a good idea to shut down completely often as the components aren't exactly made to be on 24/7

I personally just put it to sleep. I've heard constantly switching it on and off can wear out components faster, so probably thats why, along with the reason it resumes from sleep withing a second whereas starting from scratch can take about a minute :)

PC in Profile

I put my pc to sleep all the time at night but the problem is that I have to either give it hot milk with honey or read it a story....it can be very demanding sometimes!!!

Depends. Win7 had a huge bug where it would not wake from a sleep and post would give errors. Not sure if its fully fixed.

Unless you're running on server hardware, its a good idea to shut down completely often as the components aren't exactly made to be on 24/7

I've been using sleep on 7 for two years before I installed 8 and never had a single problem. When you sleep, your system is still OFF, your components aren't running and aren't powered on.

About server hardware:

Keep in mind that things like an Intel Xeon and an Intel Core i7 are exactly the same chips.

The only reasons Xeons are so expensive are

1. Not every chip has every core functioning, meaning that only a select few are suited to be 6-cores
  2. Intel does a burn-in on the Xeons, that ensures they are stable,
  3. you have a longer warranty on them.

A burn-in consist of running the chip on full power for x amount of time while it's in an oven at 80 degrees Celsius (don't quote me on that, I don't know the exact numbers for Intel specific). They are the same chips and as long as your i7/i5 survives the first few months, it will be just as well suited to run 24/7 as the Xeon is.

After using my computer for a long time everything becomes sluggish, and then if i put it to sleep and wake it up it becomes responsive again

Hmmmm, how much RAM do you have? When your system gets sluggish, open up resource monitor, go to the 'memory' tab, order the list you get by 'hard faults/sec' so that the biggest is on top and post a screenshot here.

Example:

post-519-0-22902100-1370347392.png

On a related note, should I shut down my phone every night or just keep it on?

I turn my PSU off because my awesome ROG motherboard has way too many lights (I like darkness if i want to sleep) for me to fall asleep with.

So you use a test bench or face the window of your case towards your bed?

noise.

Main reasons why i it shut down personally! 

Every time I go off computer for more than an hour I shutdown. With ssd the boot time is quick anyways

Whatever. I usually shut it down for the night, and it's running all day long.

CPU: i5 2500K (@ stock for now) GPU: Gigabyte GTX650Ti OC MOBO: Intel P67 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston (@1333MHz) PSU: 550w Xilence CASE: Generic :D MONITOR: Dell U2412M (24', 1200p 16:10) MOUSE: Acme something KB: Logitech K260