Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

The 2 world never made sense. It needs to be unified. Using the control panel with a touch device is a pain, however PC Settings, is great for both (especially that now you can run it in a window). It was talked about during Windows 8 life span that the Control Panel should and might probably disappear, or be there for only programs registering itself in (Outlook, Flash, and Java). The panel should continue to there, for legacy program support (some program start a panel for the user). So, someone COULD make an alternative control panel with great ease, if Microsoft chooses to remove the Control Panel (well move all options from Windows, from the Control Panel to PC Settings).

Only time will tell. I predict that they will. Another up side, is that currently adding stuff to the control panel is difficult, hence why many programs don't do it. But it could open doors with PC Settings, to be able to easily add via XML new sections (say program name), and add their own options, which calls the program DLL functions defined in the XML file for each. Wishful developer life thinking, of course, I doubt they'll implement should nice system, even though it is a great opportunity to do so.

I agree. However, the "PC Settings" have menu arrangement like for a mobile device, it's quite a pain to find something there on a PC.

Be sure to provide your feedback to Microsoft, but I believe you'll have all the options once Windows 10 is done.

Also, I don't know why you have trouble finding the control panel, thought. Just right-click on the Start button

Derp.  I keep forgetting about the right-click on start.  I honestly don't use Win 10 enough to remember everything, I just use it casually on my laptop when I'm not near my PC and have been enjoying the multiple desktops functionality.  I'm positive that it'll be much less finicky once the actual release comes around.  So far it seems fairly solid, I just hope MS fixes some of the minor oversights I think they've overlooked.  I've submitted quite a few pieces of feedback through the app, in regards to tweaks that should be implemented to improve user friendliness of certain things.

I agree. However, the "PC Settings" have menu arrangement like for a mobile device, it's quite a pain to find something there on a PC.

This.  It's really annoying on a 1080p PC monitor.  I suppose it won't be so bad on something like a TV or a 4K monitor, where you'll be able to see most of it on screen at once.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I don't mind the split, what I mind is that there isn't total redundancy. If there were completely separate Modern and Classic settings, that would be fine, but as it is now, there are some options that I have to use Modern to use. And unless I'm missing something, the process needed to add a SSID WiFi manually is horribly unacceptable.

Should I run this for my main os? For gaming

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

You can, but should you? No, it's a technical preview, and although it's relatively stable, it does have issues, and can crash from a myriad of things. 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

You can, but should you? No, it's a technical preview, and although it's relatively stable, it does have issues, and can crash from a myriad of things.

What happens when the preview is over?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

What happens when the preview is over?

If it's like previous previews, you'll have several months to go out and purchase Windows 10, or backup your stuff to clean installation older version of Windows that you have. While nothing concrete, Microsoft did say that they plan to have that you can upgrade Windows 10 preview to the full official version when it comes out.

I have been since it came out. 

I probably wouldn't recommend it. There's definitely something... not quite right about Windows 10 and gaming with an nVidia card (GTX 780 FWIW). You get some really odd behaviour in explorer if you watch videos full screen too. Still, I like it over all.

I have it just for gaming and it's fine with my Nvidia card.

I have it just for gaming and it's fine with my Nvidia card.

Gonna vary by user, based off all hardware, drivers, and installed software. Certain drivers, and software could have odd interactions that someone with the same hardware might not have, even if the drivers are the same, just due to software installed and accessing the drivers. I think you're one of few who's been able to run it, and game, just fine with an Nvidia card, seems to be a common complaint around the net that it's wony as hell with them.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Ohhh, look. MS released a tool to prep the transition from Windows 7 and 8.1 to the Technical preview via Windows Updates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview-iso-update

http://www.intowindows.com/prepare-windows-78-1-pc-to-get-windows-10-via-windows-updates/

5unnw5B.jpg

A little birdie (rumor) also told me this will work for:

Win7&8.1->Windows 10 TP ->WCP->WEP->WDP->RTM

As always, back up your activation information before upgrading.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

In my opinion it is till very much in beta and until they have some way of exporting it then no, I liked it while I used it but switched back due to issues with stability which turned out to be mostly my fault :( but I really liked having the start menu back! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Build 9901 got leaked.

Changes:

• Black Store (Beta)
  • Cortana (Development)
  • Updated PC Settings
  • New Wallpapers
  • Updated Taskbar Search Box (Default)
  • New Modern UI Apps

screen%20030.png

screen%20214.png

screen%20314.png

screen%20209.png

screen%20333.png

More here.

days to download?!?! is this right?

You internet probably sucks, but the ETA is probably right.

I had windows 10 running native on my PC with RAID 0. Pretty neat, although its true what they say when they suggest you probably shouldn't install the OS on your everyday computer

(Which I did purposely to see what they meant by that).

Apparently I was told by a 'guy with enough experience' that you cannot dual boot with windows 10 that "Even Microsoft claims so".

But you can totally dual boot, you'll just have easier support if you're running windows 7 or something.

My computer got jacked up and couldn't boot, so I uninstalled preview updates and it was fine.

Not a bad preview OS! I'd like to see the new Browser though.

- 'YOLO' doesn't exist in the PC World!

I dual booted just fine. The Setup did all the work. I don't know where you got that information.

Same, I have Linux Mint 15 for my normal use and Windows 10 for games.

I have encountered a couple of bugs with audio output switching, accessing my AC network, and Windows trying to stop me from installing Linux.  Other than that, it's been awesome.  I boot into Windows 10 twice as fast as I ever booted into Windows 7, Mint, or Zorin OS.

I do like that if there is a problem on startup with the updates, it does allow you to painlessly roll back to the previous build.

Looks like GPU driver issue.

Also, how did you manage to have the age old GrooveMonitor Utility (the age old SharePoint)?

I guess you installed a old version of Office, what was it 2003, or 2007? Anyway,

The big question is how you managed to have Google toolbar already and this notifier.

Are you a tester/developer of these toolbars? SHOW YOUR SELF!!! :P

On a serious note, yea its a GPU driver issue that you are experiencing.

All corruptions of what you see occurs on the area the GPU draws.

I used the preview for awhile as my daily driver, was pretty stable with my system but never played any games only surfed the information super highway with it.

Nvidia drivers seemed a lot more stable then they were with other version of windows^^

Wish they'd bring back aero...

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Anybody else encounter a problem with silverlight plugin crashing  every now and then while watching netflix? After a few seconds it comes back and continues. Just a little annoying when it does happen. Doesn't happen every day though, thankfully. Using latest version of firefox.

Other than that it's been working pretty good. We've been using it on the HTPC (specs in sig) since the tech preview became available last year.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS