Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

PS: Don't get the newest build if the only reason you want 10 I'd for the Start Menu. The pulled a bait and switch. The earlier Start Menus were true Start Menus. the current one is just a xml based shell that "looks" like the Start Menu.

Microsoft is converting everything as XAML (not xml), and universal apps (I don't expect device manager, registry editor, disk manager, and a few other panel touched, beside high-dpi ready). It is part of the plans of W10.

Microsoft is converting everything as XAML (not xml), and universal apps (I don't expect device manager, registry editor, disk manager, and a few other panel touched, beside high-dpi ready). It is part of the plans of W10.

"XMAL, not XML".

"Extensible Application Markup Language is a declarative XML-based language developed by Microsoft".

Cool pedantry, bro.

"It was part of the plan".

Which is why their preview build released with and featured the real Start Menu. "Part of the plan"? Sure, but that doesn't excuse the bait and switch. They could have easily released the first public preview build with the XMAL stay menu. But that would have been meet by a immediate backlash. So, instead they opted for a delayed backlash. Hopefully enough outlets cover the more recent version instead of letting people think the real one featured in the initial builds is what people are getting.

XAML not XMAL.

XML is a format to represent data,

XAML is markup language based on XML with a few tweaks, and in UTF-8 based, designed for Windows Presentation Foundation a .NET Framework for UIs

Except that build that made explorer.exe crash almost constantly and the fact that the current build refuses to acknowledge my video drivers(making my video out to my monitor unusable). It's been very stable and I'll definitely be "buying" the retail version.

PS: Don't get the newest build if the only reason you want 10 I'd for the Start Menu. The pulled a bait and switch. The earlier Start Menus were true Start Menus. the current one is just a xml based shell that "looks" like the Start Menu.

You can switch back to the earlier start menu in 9926 by adding this value to the registry.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableXamlStartMenu - DWORD 0

Except that build that made explorer.exe crash almost constantly and the fact that the current build refuses to acknowledge my video drivers(making my video out to my monitor unusable). It's been very stable and I'll definitely be "buying" the retail version.

You're still hung up about the fact that your AMD APU driver won't install? Well, I actually forgot to mention to you to an important thing on AMD's website which states:

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

Any notebook launched after this driver release

Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

A while back I tried to help you install the omega driver, and it works for me on my A6 laptop. But then again, its an HP. 

I doubt this a Microsoft issue, but rather that your system vendor has set a custom Hardware-ID on the GPU firmware/bios to prevent generic drivers from installing. In specific, I've had this issue actually happen on Intel iGPU based laptops as well. In specific, Sony seems to be the worst contender for this ( I used to have a VAIO with 2ng gen core i5).

When you installed GPU drivers at any point in the past, was it from your OEM? If so, you may need to clean install at some time in the future and install non-OEM GPU drivers to start with.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You're still hung up about the fact that your AMD APU driver won't install? Well, I actually forgot to mention to you to an important thing on AMD's website which states:

A while back I tried to help you install the omega driver, and it works for me on my A6 laptop. But then again, its an HP. 

I doubt this a Microsoft issue, but rather that your system vendor has set a custom Hardware-ID on the GPU firmware/bios to prevent generic drivers from installing. In specific, I've had this issue actually happen on Intel iGPU based laptops as well. In specific, Sony seems to be the worst contender for this ( I used to have a VAIO with 2ng gen core i5).

When you installed GPU drivers at any point in the past, was it from your OEM? If so, you may need to clean install at some time in the future and install non-OEM GPU drivers to start with.

The AMD source you cite says to get my drivers from the OEM, but you instruct me to use non-OEM drivers. Despite that being two opposing instructions, I have use the driver remover program mentioned in the previous post and installed both OEM and non- OEM drivers following the removal process. And neither worked. I'll wait until the next build to try again. Thank you for your time.

You can switch back to the earlier start menu in 9926 by adding this value to the registry.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableXamlStartMenu - DWORD 0

That seems to switch back to an older, non-XAML engine, but the options are effectively the same. A non XAML Start Menu with the same gimped context menu is just as bad(except for the empty tile space being gone) as the XAML one. Gopefully they'll get the XAML one working as well as the Start Menu has been since 98.

XAML not XML.

XAML is markup language based on XML

with a few tweaks

The AMD source you cite says to get my drivers from the OEM, but you instruct me to use non-OEM drivers. Despite that being two opposing instructions, I have use the driver remover program mentioned in the previous post and installed both OEM and non- OEM drivers following the removal process. And neither worked. I'll wait until the next build to try again. Thank you for your time.

I instructed you to use non-OEM because you wanted the Omega driver, no? On my HP I have an A6 and HP only did two OEM driver updates through the lifespan of the machine. I have AMD's generic (Omega)driver running just fine. Maybe its a configuration quirk with your model of laptop? 

If it makes you feel better, on another machine with an intel i7 and iGPU, Windows 10 TP installed iGPU drivers from 2013. Intel's own drivers refuse to install due having an OS check built in the installer. Maybe that is the case for your install of AMD's Omega driver? Have you tried the option to update the GPU driver from within Catalyst?

There are a number of possibilities that could cause. It could be Microsoft or AMD's fault. And it is pre-release software, so don't go around hating it just yet.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Concept image of Windows 10, is getting a lot of votes to make it so!

Under the User Voice forum of Windows 10, people agree that Explorer looks dated, and needs a major overall. People favor the following concept with current: 6373 votes and growing.

original.jpg

I personally like it a lot. I voted on it. Make this happen! vote everything you have on it. :)

The taskbar needs a bit of work, but mixed with the current one, would be awesome. I am not saying to replicate it, I mean MS can't do this, but get some design cues. For example the notification pop, the glass effect on the task bar, the clean look of the navigation panel, the video player, and stuff like that.

Update: 6414 votes.

Vote here:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6901619-this-is-the-next-windows-10-i-would-like-to-see

Come on! Make it happen :D

Chuck Norris tests Windows 10? Now I know it's going to be kick ass!

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Chuck Norris tests Windows 10? Now I know it's going to be kick ass!

Chuck Norris tested W10 but still thinks that Windows is many years behind Linux systems ;)

Microsoft released new hotfixes via Windows Update to prepare Windows 10 users to the next build of Windows 10.

You need them installed before you can get the latest build which is expected next week.

Microsoft released new hotfixes via Windows Update to prepare Windows 10 users to the next build of Windows 10.

You need them installed before you can get the latest build which is expected next week.

I assume you're referring to the "Fast" schedule? I wonder If I should stay on Slow and see if the hotfixes help. Or if I should use Fast in hopes that the new version will work better with my GPU. Or do I need to be on Fast to get the hotfixes?

I assume you're referring to the "Fast" schedule? I wonder If I should stay on Slow and see if the hotfixes help. Or if I should use Fast in hopes that the new version will work better with my GPU. Or do I need to be on Fast to get the hotfixes?

Which build are you now?

You can always go back in a build, If you check PC Setting > Update and Recover, you'll find the option.

The next build will be provided in ISO format so if need be you can just do a fresh install of it.

Which build are you now?

You can always go back in a build, If you check PC Setting > Update and Recover, you'll find the option.

I'm not part of the Windows 10 preview build users so I can use old versions.

Edit: Went to Fast, Checked for updates, Installed and Restarted.

AMD Display Drivers work now. Changed back to Slow.

Yup. Just saw the KB articles. For anyone wondering:

Windows 10 Technical Preview Update KB3038930 and KB3040021: February 18, 2015 and February 13, 2015 (respectively)

Summary: KB3038930, This update will assist with installing future builds. KB3040021: This update fixes an issue with installing future builds.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3040021

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038930

Also, something interesting: KB3038930  changes the fbl_awesome1501 to fbl_impressive ring. That most likely means we'll get an new build soon-ish.

Yea. This build was not very awesome. Especially that many things demo'ed at the presentation didn't make it.

So there were both AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers pushed out this week via Windows Update.

Some people are reporting WDM2.0 drivers, but so far, it seems I only have a WDM1.2 AMD driver. 

Anyone who got the update mind running "dxdiag" and seeing if it crashes on you? Happens to me if it tries to access Direct3D. My hypothesis is that the new drivers aren't fully polished yet. The move to WDM2.0 may have something to do with it.

The drivers in particular are:

• AMD: driver version: 15.200.1006.0, date: 4 February 2015
  • Nvidia: driver version: 9.18.13.4965, date 5 February 2015 (or driver 347.52 with the same date)

So, apparently, transparency is making a comeback :D :

XyLpLW7.jpg

A article to go along with that: http://www.neowin.net/news/gabe-aul-confirms-that-transparency-is-coming-to-windows-10

Running on VM Ware

i7 2,6GHz

2GB RAM DDR3 1600

512 SSD

HD Graphic

Work like a charm but too much bugs, they really have a problem with virtual desktop and universal trackpads compatibilities but start menu is back so that offset :)

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

So, this is supposedly a leak from build ~10020:

A new task manager based will be a universal XAML application:

1424506856_1346896594.png

B96F038CEAAfXcr.png

Source: https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/567037748725698560

This may or may not be a true leak, but it looks interesting nonetheless.

B96F038CEAAfXcr.png

Everything's being ported to WinRT. So stuff like the task manager is expected (there's a few other things being ported over as well).

B96F038CEAAfXcr.png

But I can't even read Cyrillic. Damnit Microsoft.

PS: XAML is not something to use in something as important as Task Manager. When the shit hits the fan, I don't want to hope XAML is still working correctly.

am i the only one who cant change the color of the start bar ect ? 

anyone know a fix ?

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Looks like build 10014 will be the next Technical Preview. No changes just bug fixes.