Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Is it still an OK idea to run the preview? Also, could someone link me the x64 download, I'm thinking of using it on my laptop

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

You'll need an Microsoft account to download the iso, and to be part of the Windows Insider program.

In my experience across 1 VM, 2 laptops, and 1 desktop. It is fairly stable. The only noticeable issue is WiFi not automatically connecting at boot.

Some more findings not related to the above reply.

• Don't install Virtual box within the Windows 10 TP. On some (most) configurations, it seems to cause stability/comparability issues. People are reporting the inability to boot the TP once installing VirtualBox. 
  • Also related to virtualization, Windows 10 may have issues with certain virtualized network adapters under Virtual box, Vmware, and Hyper-V. If the install fails to boot or hangs during installation, disable the NIC during the install process, and once finished installing, use the NAT adapter.
  • In addition, in some configurations, it may be necessary (and recommended) to use an VM that has EFI boot features enabled.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

You'll need an Microsoft account to download the iso, and to be part of the Windows Insider program.

In my experience across 1 VM, 2 laptops, and 1 desktop. It is fairly stable. The only noticeable issue is WiFi not automatically connecting at boot.

Some more finding not related to the above reply.

• Don't install Virtual box within the Windows 10 TP. On some (most) configurations, it seems to cause stability/comparability issues. People are reporting the inability to boot the TP once installing VirtualBox. 
  • Also related to virtualization, Windows 10 may have issues with certain virtualized network adapters under Virtual box, Vmware, and Hyper-V. If the install fails to boot or hangs during installation, disable the NIC during the install process, and once finished installing, use the NAT adapter.
  • In addition, in some configurations, it may be necessary (and recommended) to use an VM that has EFI boot features enabled.

You no longer need a Microsoft account to download or use the Technical Preview.

I'll try the process a few more times now that that Delete option "magically appeared".

Any suggestions on programs for doing forceful and complete removal of drivers in case I can't get this working?

I'll try the process a few more times now that that Delete option "magically appeared".

Any suggestions on programs for doing forceful and complete removal of drivers in case I can't get this working?

My favorite third party utility for removing GPU drivers is currently DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). It can be found here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Or here:http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

6m57.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Well, I tried it and I'm still getting an error. Hopefully this is just because there hasn't been a driver update since 9926.

If I copy the auto-extracted files(to another folder), then let that program delete all my drivers and such, do I need to use the installer first, or can I go straight to adding the Driver via the Inf file?

PS: Why is the Omega driver newer and a higher number than the one labeled as "beta"?

Is the "beta" version on the site older than the Omega version?

Edited by xnamkcor

What does everyone think of the new folder icons for windows 10?

post-5026-0-40936700-1422494113.png

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

personally i really like them. i do miss the whole libraries thing though

I don't like them very much. Make me think I am using a 16 color display. They are too saturated.

I DO like that you better see the content as a preview in a folder that has files inside. And I do like they finally fix the bug where you had a white box around file icons that aren't pictures or videos.

Welp, upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and restored back to 8.1 after about 5 minutes because I couldn't deal with the giant downgrade in usability. I need my start screen because it acts as a second desktop where I can organize my icons. Windows 10 completely does away with this. This is garbage, do no upgrade. It seems both Windows 7 and 10 can't keep me. I gave Windows 7 a second chance a while back for a couple of days, but wow, Windows 10 couldn't even keep me for a day.

Welp, upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and restored back to 8.1 after about 5 minutes because I couldn't deal with the giant downgrade in usability. I need my start screen because it acts as a second desktop where I can organize my icons. Windows 10 completely does away with this. This is garbage, do no upgrade. It seems both Windows 7 and 10 can't keep me. I gave Windows 7 a second chance a while back for a couple of days, but wow, Windows 10 couldn't even keep me for a day.

theres a full screen button on the start menu

Capture.PNG

They look generic and lack the overt obviousness that the icons had in older versions, like a huge musical note for My Music.

theres a full screen button on the start menu

That just full screens the new, more different start screen. I want the original one that I have layyed out that I'm used to.

Well, I tried it and I'm still getting an error. Hopefully this is just because there hasn't been a driver update since 9926.

If I copy the auto-extracted files(to another folder), then let that program delete all my drivers and such, do I need to use the installer first, or can I go straight to adding the Driver via the Inf file?

PS: Why is the Omega driver newer and a higher number than the one labeled as "beta"?

Is the "beta" version on the site older than the Omega version?

The beta version is older and hasn't been updated in a while. The Omega driver is the latest driver as of today.

If you were to delete the drivers, I would try installing them via the Catalyst installer first. If that fails, you might be able to load the .inf file.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Here is the full set of the new icons for anyone wanting to see them:

3ba9de202a9e35feb7be1e15d5766564.png

I think they are a huge improvement in the more ergonomic design, but the colors are oversaturated. It's worse if you have and IPS or PLS monitor like I do. Basically, my opinion is similar to that of @GoodBytes in the post above mine.

So I was not the one who found this, but wanted to share. This may be a glimpse at an possible improvement to the File Explorer.

Apparently, Store apps can run inside of File Explorer:

e4eupUP.jpg

How to test it: Settings > Personalize > Choose an Image. Now Explorer opens a File Open dialog. You can choose the Photos app from the side pane and the app will run inside Explorer.

PS: Build 9933 has been compiled and cached to display on the fast ring update, but isn't available to download yet. My guess is that we'll get a new build soon on the fast ring  :D .

Also:

Some features you guys can try now (without making registry edits):

• New IE11 Engine:
    • Open IE11 and type about:flags in the address bar. In the page that appears, simply set “Experimental Web Platform Features” to Enabled, then restart the browser. Setting the “Custom User Agent” string to Enabled will trick websites (that may have older IE compatibility)into using Spartan Edge.

windows10-ie11-experimental-features-100

• New Command Prompt options:
    • Open the command prompt. Right-click its title bar, then select Properties. You can find and enable the new features under the Experimental tab.

windows10-command-prompt-experimental-10

Some other notable things to expect in a new build:

• A new clock update/calendar

windows10-new-calendar-100564952-gallery:

• And an new updated lock/log in screen in a new build:

login-screen-Windows-10-600x450.png

new-CAD-600x450.png

lock-screen-Windows-10-2-600x450.png

Source for the clock/calendar, CMD Prompt, and IE 11 features were from: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875600/windows-10-the-best-tips-tricks-and-tweaks.html

Source for the log in screen: http://winaero.com/blog/enable-new-login-screen-in-windows-10-build-9926/

NOTE: Both the new log in screen and the new clock/calendar can be enabled in build 9926 via registry edits, but I would advise against it. In some cases, registry edits that affect how Windows functions/behaves may prevent you from getting new build updates pushed via Windows Update.

I don't like them very much. Make me think I am using a 16 color display. They are too saturated.

I DO like that you better see the content as a preview in a folder that has files inside. And I do like they finally fix the bug where you had a white box around file icons that aren't pictures or videos.

They look generic and lack the overt obviousness that the icons had in older versions, like a huge musical note for My Music.

The beta version is older and hasn't been updated in a while. The Omega driver is the latest driver as of today.

If you were to delete the drivers, I would try installing them via the Catalyst installer first. If that fails, you might be able to load the .inf file.

I think they are a huge improvement in the more ergonomic design, but the colors are oversaturated. It's worse if you have and IPS or PLS monitor like I do. Basically, my opinion is similar to that of @GoodBytes in the post above mine.

I agree with you guys. The colors are just to bright and I don't want to look at it. The layout isn't bad though and the style is fine I guess but the colors are not good. @ionbasa I kinda like those blue folders there and with the yellow wasn't so bright. I also kinda feel like some of the images are from the 90's.

I updated to the latest Windows 10 and I cant get an IP address from my router. IDK what happened, but when I roll back its fine again....

I updated to the latest Windows 10 and I cant get an IP address from my router. IDK what happened, but when I roll back its fine again....

Check your wireless card or Ethernet (which ever you use) drivers.

They have also released a Windows Update fixing many bugs. Not sure if it will fix the bug you are facing. If not, be sure to let Microsoft know. Be sure to mention your router model and wireless/wired card/chip you are using.

Check your wireless card or Ethernet (which ever you use) drivers.

They have also released a Windows Update fixing many bugs. Not sure if it will fix the bug you are facing. If not, be sure to let Microsoft know. Be sure to mention your router model and wireless/wired card/chip you are using.

I installed the drivers and stuff, will do. 

Just assign one manually. Check your router's dhcp table and pick one that is in your specified range and not in use.

I've been running a Windows 10 VM on VMware (dont have virtualbox and I've never used it, my college has student licenses for VMware) since about a week after release. So far, I'm loving it. I'm currently on my phone at the moment, I'll do my best to post a reply with me current settings. All I can remember right now is that I have it set to half my system settings, so 4 cores for the processor and 8GB RAM. Once again, more to come tomorrow.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I've been running a Windows 10 VM on VMware (dont have virtualbox and I've never used it, my college has student licenses for VMware) since about a week after release. So far, I'm loving it. I'm currently on my phone at the moment, I'll do my best to post a reply with me current settings. All I can remember right now is that I have it set to half my system settings, so 4 cores for the processor and 8GB RAM. Once again, more to come tomorrow.

Run a single threaded benchmark with 4v CPUs, then 2 vCPUs, and finally 1 vCPU (such as with Prime95). You might be surprised that the 1 and 2 vCPUs will have better relative performance than 4 vCPUs in some cases. You can also run a multithreaded benchmark and divide the benchmark score by the number of cores to get the relative performance and compare with both 2 vCPUs and 1 vCPUs. 

The reason this happens for some hardware is due to the CPU scheduling time; such that more vCPUs will take more time to be scheduled on the physical threads. I'm not sure if the effects of this are as prominent on newer chips with AVX1/2, but on chips 2+ years and older it makes a difference. 

Just thought I would share. I run an both an Hyper-V server and an Vmware ESXi host. They are both on on slightly older 2x 8 core Xeon chips that lack AVX-2, but I notice a huge performance difference (and that's with a type 1 hypervisor). I would assume that you are running VMware Workstation or Player on your machine (which is a type 2 hypervisor)?

Just a little experiment for you to try. There's no obligation for you to do it, but sharing benchmark runs here would be interesting to see, plus, it'd be a neat little experiment to run  :lol: .

Run a single threaded benchmark with 4v CPUs, then 2 vCPUs, and finally 1 vCPU (such as with Prime95). You might be surprised that the 1 and 2 vCPUs will have better relative performance than 4 vCPUs in some cases. You can also run a multithreaded benchmark and divide the benchmark score by the number of cores to get the relative performance and compare with both 2 vCPUs and 1 vCPUs.

The reason this happens for some hardware is due to the CPU scheduling time; such that more vCPUs will take more time to be scheduled on the physical threads. I'm not sure if the effects of this are as prominent on newer chips with AVX1/2, but on chips 2+ years and older it makes a difference.

Just thought I would share. I run an both an Hyper-V server and an Vmware ESXi host. They are both on on slightly older 2x 8 core Xeon chips that lack AVX-2, but I notice a huge performance difference (and that's with a type 1 hypervisor). I would assume that you are running VMware Workstation or Player on your machine (which is a type 2 hypervisor)?

Just a little experiment for you to try. There's no obligation for you to do it, but sharing benchmark runs here would be interesting to see, plus, it'd be a neat little experiment to run :lol: .

I run the setting as 2 physical, 2 logical totalling 4 cores in the configuration menu. I'm not sure if there's a messaging system in LTT, but if there is, shoot me one and detail the experiment more if you could, please!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

ahhh

uhh

erm

aaaack

blah

I almost moved back to 8.1 on my new drive for this reason. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch