Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

If Microsoft wants to see what nasty shit I wank it to, then that's up to them. Not like they're gonna publish that on their Tumblr.

The amount of information that Microsoft is collecting from those of you who are using the Technical Preview is just beyond concerning. They're using TLS v1.2 which uses a x509 digital signature to encrypt the traffic (secure). Every action you make is sent in real-time to Microsoft's servers for logging. I personally don't wish to have my name, address, credit card information, Paypal and other critical website credentials, files I am downloading, movies I am watching, software I use, and pretty much everything in between logged on Microsoft's servers. This isn't an "omg they knowz what I'm typing so wut" situation, it's much more severe than most of you can imagine. That's why I said it before and I'll say it again, if you use Windows 10 Technical Preview as a primary OS you're as about naive as they come.

I hope y'all got the new build. It doesn't come through Windows Update....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

what antivirus are people running? Avast doesnt wan to run and avg keeps telling me to restart to update every couple of hours, is anyone having any success with another antivirus?

Same as @GoodBytes - Windows Defender. I'm running it in a VM though, so I don't really need one.

The amount of information that Microsoft is collecting from those of you who are using the Technical Preview is just beyond concerning. They're using TLS v1.2 which uses a x509 digital signature to encrypt the traffic (secure). Every action you make is sent in real-time to Microsoft's servers for logging. I personally don't wish to have my name, address, credit card information, Paypal and other critical website credentials, files I am downloading, movies I am watching, software I use, and pretty much everything in between logged on Microsoft's servers. This isn't an "omg they knowz what I'm typing so wut" situation, it's much more severe than most of you can imagine. That's why I said it before and I'll say it again, if you use Windows 10 Technical Preview as a primary OS you're as about naive as they come.

But are those anonymous? I was concerned about it so I just switched back to Linux, but I'm probably just going to get W10 for games.

But are those anonymous? I was concerned about it so I just switched back to Linux, but I'm probably just going to get W10 for games.

More than likely not, seeing as how you are bound by T.O.S to allow Microsoft access to any data that is yours. The final version of Windows 10 shouldn't have this data collection in it. They only add it to the Preview versions of Windows to gather intel on what issues need to be fixed etc. I personally might switch back to Windows once Windows 10 hits retail.

More than likely not, seeing as how you are bound by T.O.S to allow Microsoft access to any data that is yours. The final version of Windows 10 shouldn't have this data collection in it. They only add it to the Preview versions of Windows to gather intel on what issues need to be fixed etc. I personally might switch back to Windows once Windows 10 hits retail.

Same here... What are you using right now?

So who opted in for the fast new builds? I did.

Being bound by a TOS to share your data in no way even implies the data isn't anonymous.

Being bound by a TOS to share your data in no way even implies the data isn't anonymous.

I wouldn't be skeptical if Microsoft is collecting some sort of data even if it's geolocate.

I wouldn't be skeptical if Microsoft is collecting some sort of data even if it's geolocate.

They already do that. Your IP says where you are, more or less. Any website you visit has this. Even my web host control panel, allows me to see which % of people from which country. Like I don't log this on purpose, it just does it. I can't disable it. It does log which IP visit my server (probably to allow me (or my web host) to block attacks in some fashion)

They already do that. Your IP says where you are, more or less. Any website you visit has this. Even my web host control panel, allows me to see which % of people from which country. Like I don't log this on purpose, it just does it. I can't disable it. It does log which IP visit my server (probably to allow me (or my web host) to block attacks in some fashion)

Trust me I know, I am only stating that I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft is collecting more than just anonymous data.

Trust me I know, I am only stating that I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft is collecting more than just anonymous data.

I wouldn't doubt that my neighborhood dog is pissing in my pool.

I wouldn't doubt that cats secretly hate me.

Anybody able to get CPUID's Hardware Monitor program working in Windows 10?

For me the exe setup file will not run, I get a pop-up message saying "this program has compatibility issues".

version 1.25 (latest)

Microsoft gives Windows 10 testers a little mini gift of sorts.

3 wallpapers available in different sizes:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/11/07/a-little-something-for-windows-insiders/

Our lawyers want me to remind you that these desktop images contain the intellectual property of Microsoft. They are offered for download solely for your own personal use under the Microsoft Terms of Use and General Microsoft Trademark Guidelines. Any other use, including redistribution, alteration, or commercial use, of the desktop images is prohibited.

hehe, modifying those wallpapers is prohibited :)

I really dig the UI of the OS. Although it's not groundbreaking, it's a refreshing look nonetheless. I've had it running for about a week now on my netbook as a primary OS.

It's been great and I've yet to encounter a single crash on it. As soon as I got the preview, I updated it to the latest build (9860) and the new animations all throughout the system is

a welcome addition. 

Over the the week of moderate use, I have no complaints. As a suggestion, I feel like it needs more of a 'flatter' design language as it's the de facto standard on the current state of Mobile & Desktop OS (Android L, iOS 8 has flat UI. As well as the mainstream desktop OS such as Yosemite) - which is a feedback I have yet to write.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

Installed 9879 does anybody has problems whit the lock keys? Right now they just don't work at all

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Microsoft is working on a search bar on the task bar. Interestingly enough, once you enable it, you have a mic icon (probably a place holder). This could represent Cortana support, confirming more the rumors of Cortana in Windows 10 rumors.

To enable the search bar go in the regsitry to: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

And set the value of 'EnableSearchBox' from 0 to 1, and restart your system (or log-off and log back on)

Now you can right0click on the task bar, and you'll have the option to show it.

taskbar-search-options-Windows-10.png

Installed 9879 does anybody has problems whit the lock keys? Right now they just don't work at all

I don't recall a problem, I'll check tonight.

I usually disable Caps Lock on all my systems, as I hit by accident many times.

I have it installed locally; watching youtube videos in fullscreen in firefox gives me a BSOD.

We need details. What is the BSOD message?