Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Yes. It look like Microsoft is converting everything into XAML/Windows Presentation Forum apps and Universal Apps.

I think Spartan web browser is a universal app (based on the looks on screen shots)

I just installed windows 10 works flawlessly here Nvidia divers fully working, all my programs and anything that worked in 8.1 works here. 

Yes. It look like Microsoft is converting everything into XAML/Windows Presentation Forum apps and Universal Apps.

I think Spartan web browser is a universal app (based on the looks on screen shots)

They stated it was going to be cross platform, so XAML on Spartan is a safe bet.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

alright i just got really mad.

i finally managed to update my VM (since my internet is crap and using wifi doesn't really help) and when i go to try cortana it says that it's not aviable on my area.

so unfair

-EDIT- specially when i read that it's actually suposed to be aviable

-EDIT 2- so i calmed down and changed my region to make it work, although it's suposed to work in my region anyways...

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

<p>

[*]The new start menu is actually a "metro/modernUI" XAML app. Interesting. Personally, I like what they did.

Wouldn't bother me no matter how they did it if they didn't gimp my right click menu.

Wouldn't bother me no matter how they did it if they didn't gimp my right click menu.

Calm down, post as feedback if you haven't.

The point being made is that the Start Menu is being remade from scratch, so there is a step back in term of experience until it is done.

Calm down, post as feedback if you haven't.The point being made is that the Start Menu is being remade from scratch, so there is a step back in term of experience until it is done.

Did they get into a legal dispute and are unable to use the right click menu that has worked for decades? Did someone hit the dev team with a retard stick? Is it that hard to use the old menu with xaml?

Did they get into a legal dispute and are unable to use the right click menu that has worked for decades? Did someone hit the dev team with a retard stick? Is it that hard to use the old menu with xaml?

Yes, its that hard. Win32 code doesn't translate to XAML easily.

If I remember correctly, Build 9879 had an Win32 start menu. Microsoft will probably work on getting the more advanced features back into the XAML menu.

Also, some of the things demoed by MS's live stream a few days ago aren't implemented yet, such as resizing the start menu. So, give it some time. 

Also, to add to some bugs:

If you remove all modern app tiles from the start menu, the start menu won't resize like its supposed to. Eventually these bugs will get ironed out as new builds are pushed via the slow/fast update rings.

For now, just enjoy it. On my end, it stable, but (IMHO) some usability features need to be fixed and some UI consistency need to worked on. I'm loving the new windowed XAML apps by the way  :P .

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Noob question, if I decide to download after the Tester's Preview version it won't be free anymore, right? Meaning it's only free for a year and there's no guarantee that within the year the official release will be available free for download?

Intel i5 4460 || Deepcool Gammaxx S40 || Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 || Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3 1600 CL9 || Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Asus 24x DVDRW OEM || Bitfenix Comrade Window White || Asus VX239h || Razer Blackwidow 2013 || Razer Deathadder Chroma || Windows 8.1 x64 SL || Crucial M550 256gb || Deepcool RGB Led Controller

Installed the latest build on my tablet. I see they changed quite a few things since the previous.. and not all good.
Honestly, I liked the previous iteration of the start menu better(of the previous build), this one not only doesn't resize properly, it also feels like they just took the modern start and shoved it in a tiny menu on the side, with all the letters to divide everything up in All Apps, increasing the amount you need to scroll down.(because let's face it, I am NOT going to be using Hotkeys on a Tablet, much less use the touch keyboard to search, more on that later)
That and I prefer my folders/apps to be separated, not just shoved together in one list and all over the place. (I'd prefer Apps at the top, folders at the bottom, in alphabetical order, without the huge lettering to separate everything)

Since I'm using it on a tablet, I can try the touch features and this build is a few step forward and just as many step backward.
As of this build, Microsoft decided to put in a separate Desktop and Tablet mode, I prefer the Desktop Mode, easier for multi-tasking, but, in all their glory (and stupidity) they decided that when in Desktop Mode, the Touch Keyboard wouldn't show up automatically, yet it works in Tablet mode, WHY. It was working perfectly fine in the previous build, was a huge step forward compared to Windows 8.1, which also didn't have automatic Touch Keyboard functionally built-in.
So now if I want to use Desktop mode, I have to manually press the keyboard button every, single, time, I want to write something (not to mention it's not as responsive as it was in the previous build, I don't know if it's lag or what, but sometime a single touch is okay, other times I have to touch the button a few times for it to even appear...).
Or use the Tablet Mode, which is like the bastard child nobody wanted. Well okay, it's not all that bad, but I would still prefer if Microsoft put back the automatic Touch Keyboard functionality in Desktop Mode, there's no reason to separate the two.

In Tablet Mode, everything is fullscreen, including the start menu(and cannot change that), touch keyboard works, but, I have to swipe on the left side to change window, because there's no application icons in the task bar, even though the task bar is RIGHT THERE, it doesn't put applications or windows in it, it just shows the Start button and the systray, massive waste of space. And no, I can't hide the task bar, it just doesn't go away even with the option enabled. And Enabling it, pretty much hides the All Apps button from the both fullscreen and small Start Menu. And you know what's funny? Swiping from the left, also works in Desktop Mode yet is entirely useless as you can just click in the task bar, so why exactly doesn't the Automatic keyboard work in Desktop mode? Oh and you see my Desktop on the Swipe Left picture? Well, even if I close every open apps while in Tablet mode, the desktop cannot be touched. It's somewhat blacked out. I cannot click (touch) any icons that's on the desktop. Again, WHY.

Swiping from the right, shows the notification center, it's basically what you have when swiping down on Android. Better than the Charm menu I guess.

Only complaint that I have, would be the lack of a volume slider in there, like there was in the Charm bar made things easier, I don't know yet if we can personalize which feature we want in there. Happy to see the Rotation Lock though.

I don't think we need something that massive for "important windows messages", so unless it let applications use it as well... will be useless. Also, you see that error message in the notifications? Yeah, I can't click that. Says "click here" nope, doesn't do anything.

It's little thing like that, that can make or break an OS and to me, this version has a lot of improvement compared to the previous build (like the setting menu), but quite a few steps backward as well (touch keyboard in desktop mode not showing up anymore, apps in Tablet Mode not being in the Taskbar even though the taskbar is sitting right there being useless, desktop icons not interactable when in tablet mode....)

It feels like Microsoft is trying to make two separate OS and gluing them together, hoping that it works. I'd rather have all the touch functionality in Desktop Mode, leave fullscreen Tablet mode in there for people who want to use that, but don't force your users to go in Tablet mode when using a device that doesn't have a keyboard by disabling automatic keyboard popup in Desktop mode.

Noob question, if I decide to download after the Tester's Preview version it won't be free anymore, right? Meaning it's only free for a year and there's no guarantee that within the year the official release will be available free for download?

The consumer version will be free, forever, as long as you upgrade within a year. If you're talking about the Preview Build, it will expire after a few months/before Release. If you do not have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installed on your machine, you will not be able to get the free upgrade. You cannot upgrade from the Preview version to the Release version for free.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes, its that hard. Win32 code doesn't translate to XAML easily.

If I remember correctly, Build 9879 had an Win32 start menu. Microsoft will probably work on getting the more advanced features back into the XAML menu.

Also, some of the things demoed by MS's live stream a few days ago aren't implemented yet, such as resizing the start menu. So, give it some time. 

Also, to add to some bugs:

If you remove all modern app tiles from the start menu, the start menu won't resize like its supposed to. Eventually these bugs will get ironed out as new builds are pushed via the slow/fast update rings.

For now, just enjoy it. On my end, it stable, but (IMHO) some usability features need to be fixed and some UI consistency need to worked on. I'm loving the new windowed XAML apps by the way  :P .

Sounds like we're never going to get the real Start Menu back I seems rather deceitful that they went through the effort to make a perfectly working win32 start menu, as if to please us, then take that out at the last second and replace it with what we are really getting.

PS: when I try to install the "Omega" "withdotnet" EXE from AMD's website, in the list of items, "Display Driver", that is normally present, is missing. Not greyed out, not unselectable, not undeselectable, but simply missing completely. The "beta" and "stable" versions of the driver that are for my GPU/APU have the "Display Driver" selectable and present, but all my attempts to install those have resulted in an error from AMD saying something about there being no driver. I'm looking into the error code.

The consumer version will be free, forever, as long as you upgrade within a year. If you're talking about the Preview Build, it will expire after a few months/before Release. If you do not have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installed on your machine, you will not be able to get the free upgrade. You cannot upgrade from the Preview version to the Release version for free.

So I could opt to just download the consumer version later on once its released and it is still free as long as I upgrade from Win 8.1 even if it exceeds the 1 year duration for the Preview version?

Intel i5 4460 || Deepcool Gammaxx S40 || Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 || Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3 1600 CL9 || Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Asus 24x DVDRW OEM || Bitfenix Comrade Window White || Asus VX239h || Razer Blackwidow 2013 || Razer Deathadder Chroma || Windows 8.1 x64 SL || Crucial M550 256gb || Deepcool RGB Led Controller

Sounds like we're never going to get the real Start Menu back I seems rather deceitful that they went through the effort to make a perfectly working win32 start menu, as if to please us, then take that out at the last second and replace it with what we are really getting.

PS: when I try to install the "Omega" "withdotnet" EXE from AMD's website, in the list of items, "Display Driver", that is normally present, is missing. Not greyed out, not unselectable, not undeselectable, but simply missing completely. The "beta" and "stable" versions of the driver that are for my GPU/APU have the "Display Driver" selectable and present, but all my attempts to install those have resulted in an error from AMD saying something about there being no driver. I'm looking into the error code.

What GPU are you running? If its an APU, there may be issues in Windows 10. I suspect it may be due to a new-ish implementation of WDM and DX12 that is present in build 9926.

So I could opt to just download the consumer version later on once its released and it is still free as long as I upgrade from Win 8.1 even if it exceeds the 1 year duration for the Preview version?

If you upgrade from Windows 8.1, within a year of release of the consumer version of Windows 10, it will be free forever, you will not have to pay anything nor will you be asked to pay anything after a year.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

What GPU are you running? If its an APU, there may be issues in Windows 10. I suspect it may be due to a new-ish implementation of WDM and DX12 that is present in build 9926.

APU A10-5745M

25s.png

APU A10-5745M

-snip-

I believe that since your notebook's GPU sub vendor is specified as "Sony" that AMD's drivers are not directly compatible in some cases. 

But luckily there is a work around!

1. Download the latest Omega drivers, and Install Catalyst (even if the driver won't get updated). Note: By default, CCC unzips its install folder on the root "C" drive under the folder "\AMD"
  2. Reboot
  3. Open up Device manager, select the Radeon display adapter device
  4. Select "Update driver"
  5. Select "Let me pick"
  6. Select "Have disk"
  7. Select the package extract directory, defaults to: "C:\AMD\Support\XX-X_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql" and go to the "Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF" subfolder
  8. Select the proper model (if different options are available). If none are shown you can uncheck "show compatible hardware" but then be very careful as your driver might not work or you have incompatible drivers.
  9. Reboot
  10. Try re-installing the Omega Catalyst package. It should have the driver packaged as well

Modified from: http://superuser.com/questions/436705/force-driver-update-on-a-mobility-radeon-graphic

I believe that since your notebook's GPU sub vendor is specified as "Sony" that AMD's drivers are not directly compatible in some cases. 

But luckily there is a work around!

1. Download the latest Omega drivers, and Install Catalyst (even if the driver won't get updated). Note: By default, CCC unzips its install folder on the root "C" drive under the folder "\AMD"
  2. Reboot
  3. Open up Device manager, select the Radeon display adapter device
  4. Select "Update driver"
  5. Select "Let me pick"
  6. Select "Have disk"
  7. Select the package extract directory, defaults to: "C:\AMD\Support\XX-X_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql" and go to the "Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF" subfolder
  8. Select the proper model (if different options are available). If none are shown you can uncheck "show compatible hardware" but then be very careful as your driver might not work or you have incompatible drivers.
  9. Reboot
  10. Try re-installing the Omega Catalyst package. It should have the driver packaged as well

Modified from: http://superuser.com/questions/436705/force-driver-update-on-a-mobility-radeon-graphic

AMD_DRIVER_9926_01252015_CODE_43.png

Hello guys , I want to share a solution to a problem i had on Windows 10. I use HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 and it has a fingerprint sensor. I installed the fingerprint driver and some software -related to it- to make it work. The os was running fine and there was no problem detected (it was stable). I restarted the laptop and waited it to boot again. Now i'm getting logonUI.exe error on the lock screen. I wasn't able to log in. after some googling i found a way to fix this without installing the os again. You need to boot the system on safe mode and just delete* the fingerprint driver files and its software with it *(I wasn't able to uninstall them directly since this function doesn't work on safe mode. There is a workaround for it but i was lazy to do it :P). Also, make sure to copy the files to a flash drive or something because you will need them later for uninstalling the drivers. After deleting I restarted the system and it booted smoothly without any errors. This is the only issue i had so far. I hope this was informative for you. Please correct my english, that will help me improve.

-snip-

When you installed the Technical preview, did you do an upgrade, or an clean install? Did you ever clean-install your laptop after purchase?

If you had an OEM AMD driver provided by Sony, that is the issue. To my knowledge, some OEM drivers won't allow updates outside of OEM provided ones.

You might be able to uninstall and delete the current AMD driver in safe mode. and then trying to install the new one again. The current driver is probably causing update issues.

When you installed the Technical preview, did you do an upgrade, or an clean install? Did you ever clean-install your laptop after purchase?

If you had an OEM AMD driver provided by Sony, that is the issue. To my knowledge, some OEM drivers won't allow updates outside of OEM provided ones.

You might be able to uninstall and delete the current AMD driver in safe mode. and then trying to install the new one again. The current driver is probably causing update issues.

where do I delete them from?

where do I delete them from?

Uninstall Catalyst, then uninstall/delete the driver from device manager.

For Catalyst:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#Win8

Then device manager:

Go to device manager and find your GPU card, right click and click uninstall driver. There is also an option (Sometimes) to delete the GPU driver.

Reboot.

After rebooting, your display resolution will likely be 1024*1280 or similar, ignore it for now.

Now try re-installing the Omega drivers. It should work.

Uninstall Catalyst, then uninstall/delete the driver from device manager.

For Catalyst:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#Win8

Then device manager:

Go to device manager and find your GPU card, right click and click uninstall driver. There is also an option (Sometimes) to delete the GPU driver.

Reboot.

After rebooting, your display resolution will likely be 1024*1280 or similar, ignore it for now.

Now try re-installing the Omega drivers. It should work.

I thought you meant track down the DLL on the HDD and manually delete it or something. I've never seen it say "Delete" in Device Manager except maybe in 98 or 3.11.

I thought you meant track down the DLL on the HDD and manually delete it or something. I've never seen it say "Delete" in Device Manager except maybe in 98 or 3.11.

It's still there:

UuULPqj.png

So, Two sections in one post:

Section 1:

Just an update to let some users know of some new services in build 9926 that were not present in Windows 8.1 and are new to the Windows 10 TP:

• AJRouter - AllJoyn Router Service: Routes AllJoyn messages for the local AllJoyn clients. If this service is stopped the AllJoyn clients that do not have their own bundled routers will be unable to run.
  • ClipSVC - Client License Service: Provides infrastructure support for the Microsoft Store. This service is started on demand and if disabled applications bought using Windows Store will not behave correctly.
  • CommsAPHost - Sync Host [service]: This service synchronizes mail, contacts, calendar and various other user data. Mail and other applications dependent on this functionality will not work properly when this service is not running.
  • CoreUIRegistrar - CoreMessaging [service]: Manages communication between system components.
  • DcpSvc - DcpSvc [service]: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1813 > [currently no description in the resource file]
  • DevQueryBroker - DevQuery Backgroud Discovery Broker [service]: Enables apps to discover devices with a backgroud task
  • DiagTrack - Diagnostics Tracking Service: The Diagnostics Tracking Service enables data collection about functional issues in Windows components.
  • DmEnrollmentSvc - Device Management Enrollment Service: Performs Device Enrollment Activities for Device Management
  • dmwappushsvc - dmwappushsvc [service]: Requests wap push msgs from cellcore and calls PushRouter_SubmitPush.
  • DoSvc - Delivery Optimization [service]: Performs content delivery optimization tasks
  • DsSvc - Data Sharing Service: Provides data brokering between applications.
  • MosHost - Downloaded Maps Manager [service]: Windows service for application access to downloaded maps. This service is started on-demand by application accessing downloaded maps. Disabling this service will prevent apps from accessing maps.
  • NetSetupSvc - Network Setup Service: The Network Setup Service manages the installation of network drivers and permits the configuration of low-level network settings.  If this service is stopped, any driver installations that are in-progress may be cancelled.
  • NgcCtnrSvc - Next Generation Credential Container Service: Manages local user identity keys used to authenticate user to identity providers as well as TPM virtual smart cards. If this service is disabled, local user identity keys and TPM virtual smart cards will not be accessible. It is recommended that you do not reconfigure this service.
  • NgcSvc - Next Generation Credentials [service]: The Next Generation Credentials service provides process isolation for cryptographic keys used to authenticate to a user’s associated identity providers. If this service is disabled, all uses and management of these keys will not be available, which includes machine logon and single-sign on for apps and websites. This service starts and stops automatically. It is recommended that you do not reconfigure this service.
  • PhoneSvc - Phone Service: Manages the telephony state on the device
  • PimIndexMaintenance - Contact Data [service]: Indexes contact data for fast contact searching. If you stop or disable this service, contacts might be missing from your search results.
  • RetailDemo - Retail Demo Service: The Retail Demo service controls device activity while the device is in retail demo mode.
  • SensorService - Sensor Service: A service for sensors that manages different sensors' functionality. Manages Simple Device Orientation (SDO) and History for sensors. Loads the SDO sensor that reports device orientation changes.  If this service is stopped or disabled, the SDO sensor will not be loaded and so auto-rotation will not occur. History collection from Sensors will also be stopped.
  • UnistoreService - User Data Storage [service]: Handles storage of structured user data, including contact info, calendars, messages, and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use this data might not work correctly.
  • UserDataService - User Data Access [service]: Provides apps access to structured user data, including contact info, calendars, messages, and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use this data might not work correctly.
  • UserManager - User Manager [service]: User Manager provides the runtime components required for multi-user interaction.  If this service is stopped, some applications may not operate correctly.
  • UserTrustedSignals - User Trusted Signals [service]: Allows users to enroll in certain signals that will not require entering credentials when dismissing lock screen.
  • UsoSvc - Update Orchestrator Service: UsoSvc

Quoted as this was taken from another forum/message board. I can't link to the outside forum because...[imagine whatever reason you want]  :ph34r:   .
All of these are particularly useless for end users, but developers may be able to take advantages of new services.

Some hypothetical examples:

• Using the AllJoyn Router Service, "allows devices to advertise and share their abilities with other devices around them; a simple example would be a motion sensor letting a light bulb know no one is in the room it is lighting." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllJoyn
    • Maybe Windows 10 will be more aware of networked devices around the home? Possibly also for PC->PC, PC->Mobile Device communication.
  • Using SensorService, Apps may become more aware of PC sensors, such as: brightness, gyroscope, GPS, and possibly even biometrics. EG: An encryption app that may lock your PC while outside of the office, school, or home. Apps which can become aware of current luminosity, useful for applying 'day' and 'night' themes and to prevent eye strain.

Also, at least 1 of the services are "tracking services", in specific: DiagTrack. My guess is that it will probably be removed on RTM and is currently only implemented in the Technical Previews and the upcoming Consumer Preview(s).

Section 2:

Also, some users are recently reporting the distribution of a suspicious driver via Windows Update. See:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/just-got-an-update-for-inventec-lan-driver-for-win/516f4f25-931c-4f1d-aa87-74ce7220ab4b?page=1

Another forum I, I browse also has some people worried. The update seems to affect: 

• Windows 8.0
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10 -Technical Preview, up to build 9926

The culprit is a driver that was released on November, 2014 (and its only being pushed now via Windows Update)and it's for "Inventec-LAN,other hardware-Inventec PCIe GBE Family Controller." Even though users do not have an Invetec network controller present in their system.

1qqfzYq.png

I have not been able to personally examine the binary installer, or the driver, but users are reporting strange changes to the Windows registry and mysterious processes after installing the update. One one system, it made the Windows 10 TP unable to boot. Strangely enough, Microsoft's own support page and KB article have no information available for this update.

Whether or not this driver got pushed out by accident, or on purpose, I would suggest that others fray from installing it if possible. It seems slightly suspicious for an driver update to be pushed for systems that do not have any Inventec controllers present in their systems. I would also imagine some people are being paranoid, but being overly cautious isn't a bad thing in this case.

-Just a word of caution until we know more about this update.

PS: The update seems to only be affecting a handful of people.

Is it still an OK idea to run the preview? Also, could someone link me the x64 download, I'm thinking of using it on my laptop