Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

I've never needed silverlight to watch netflix if I was on chrome/firefox.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

So updates/screenshot leaks:

New/Updated context menu:

B7Kl3j_IQAAmSAT.pngB7Kl3TgIYAAAM4g.png

The context menu will now be white instead of a gray color.

A couple of new screenshots that have recently gotten leaked show new context menus available throughout the operating system, which is another confirmation that Microsoft is working to make Windows 10 a bit more appealing in terms of aesthetic features.

Leaked builds that reached the web in the last couple of months also came with new context menus, but these were only available when right-clicking the taskbar. However, it appears that in newer Windows 10 builds these context menus show up across the entire operating system, so the classic grey ones are no longer available.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Redesigns-Windows-10-Context-Menus-Leaked-Screenshots-469775.shtml

Some things to be expected from the 'January Technical Preview' (JTP):

• Updated Cortana
  • Better Continuum (workflow between desktop apps/UI and modern apps /UI) and less interruptions switching between the two
  • Spartan (new IE) as both a ModernUI  app and a desktop app

Also, supposedly Spartan is coded to be cross-platform including ARM implementations and across various Windows Flavors (eg: RT and Phone)

In addition to a desktop browser, Spartan is also very likely to come with a Metro build that will be specifically designed for tablets with ARM processors and phones. This particular version will also support Flash, Neowin writes, and could also arrive on the Xbox at some point in the future.

What’s more, Spartan will be developed in such a way that it “will determine which features are available to you,” the aforementioned source writes, adding that this is going to become the new Modern browser in Windows 10, and Internet Explorer will only be offered on the desktop for compatibility purposes.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Spartan-Browser-Will-Work-on-All-Windows-10-Versions-Report-469804.shtml

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

No dual boot with openSUSE or Fedora, whereas 8.1 would, I would receive a Windows 7 bootloader option on a seperate drive when logging into linux, the only way to boot into Windows was to go into BIOS and change the boot order to Windows bootloader on my SSD

No dual boot with openSUSE or Fedora, whereas 8.1 would, I would receive a Windows 7 bootloader option on a seperate drive when logging into linux, the only way to boot into Windows was to go into BIOS and change the boot order to Windows bootloader on my SSD

You have to update the GRUB bootloader after installing any OS on any drive. In some cases, Windows may have overwritten the MBR with its own bootloader. It you are running Linux, you should already know how to do this. I have no problem with Ubuntu 14.10 and Windows 10 on a non GPT disk using MBR and BIOS.

I'm not quite sure on GPT using UEFI boot methods. I need to try it out on my laptop, but it should work, so long as secure boot is disabled (or your Linux distribution ships with secure boot support), or you know how to create your own keys from the UEFI shell.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The thing is I've never run into this before, I always installed Windows first (so it doesn't overwrite GRUB) on a partition, then Linux on it's own partition of the same disk, secure boot is always disabled.

If I'm missing something please slap me upside my head, but I've been following the same install regimen that's gone smoothly through multiple distros without dramas before so I'm puzzled

The thing is I've never run into this before, I always installed Windows first (so it doesn't overwrite GRUB) on a partition, then Linux on it's own partition of the same disk, secure boot is always disabled.

If I'm missing something please slap me upside my head, but I've been following the same install regimen that's gone smoothly through multiple distros without dramas before so I'm puzzled

After installing Linux, GRUB may not autodetect the Windows 10 bootloader (depending on your distro). If so, you can manually add the Windows 10 bootloader to GRUB via the following: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Dual-booting

In some cases, you will have to update the GRUB config file manually. I had something similar happen when Windows 8/8.1 initially released and  GRUB2 didn't autodetect the Windows bootloader.

After installing Linux, GRUB may not autodetect the Windows 10 bootloader (depending on your distro). If so, you can manually add the Windows 10 bootloader to GRUB via the following: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Dual-booting

In some cases, you will have to update the GRUB config file manually. I had something similar happen when Windows 8/8.1 initially released and  GRUB2 didn't autodetect the Windows bootloader.

I downgraded to Win 7 for an experiment and it booted straight to Windows, I just installed Windows 8.1 and when I select the Windows 7 bootloader (only Windows option) I get the "insert installation disc" error. I will follow the link you provided, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

MAJOR UPDATE:

Build 9926 has been pushed out!

e631eaeb-66d5-46bd-9888-77b8e98e847a_13.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/23/january-build-now-available-to-the-windows-insider-program/

Whats new:

ISO download

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

If you already have build 9879 installed, you can get the new build via both the fast and slow ring within PC settings.

The Enterprise ISO can be found on Technet:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn798751.aspx

Enjoy!

so i installed windows 10 today ive spent time with it and so far im really liking it after upgrading from windows 8.1, its very nice with the new search button menu and better design (IMO) it feels easier to use,  and im not looking to go back to windows 8.1 also i haven't found any bugs, its great you should try it but do remember there will be plenty of updates to come. i was wondering if i could remove windows 8.1 and just have windows 10, if so could someone please tell me how as i dont need 8.1 any more and i can always re-install if needed, i just dont really like the dual booting and always getting an option to go back to 8.1.

but other wise, very nice os even though it is still in building

updating right now on my VM, so exciting

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Windows 10 beta is free?

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Windows 10 beta is free?

As per the License Agreement, it is free for the entire world, except for the person called SoftenButterCream on Linus Tech Tip forum. Yes, it specifically says that. This is definitely not made up. To use it, you need to send your credit card information to GoodBytes or Linus or Slick. :P

In all seriousness, yes it is free.

As per the License Agreement, it is free for the entire world, except for the person called SoftenButterCream on Linus Tech Tip forum. Yes, it specifically says that. This is definitely not made up. To use it, you need to send your credit card information to GoodBytes or Linus or Slick. :P

In all seriousness, yes it is free.

Haha. Does the testers get a free upgrade? Can I use it in a new build lmao? Damn... i sound like a newb lmfao

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Haha. Does the testers get a free upgrade? Can I use it in a new build lmao? Damn... i sound like a newb lmfao

The preview and preview updates are free. When the operating system launches you get an opportunity at a free upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x otherwise you will need to buy it.

Windows 10 Beta (or Technical Preview as it is actually called) is free to test out. Microsoft wants user feedback to make the OS better. And yes, Microsoft has implement may popular suggestions and fixed a great number of bugs and BSOD related issues since the program started. It is also the Technical Preview with the most testers than ever, which should result in an impressive launch version in terms of reliability and stability.

All builds releases, as they come, of the Windows 10 Technical Preview are free to upgrade your current Windows 10 Technical Preview to.

However, Windows 10 at release is NOT free.

BUT, Microsoft said that it will have a promotion where Windows 10 UPGRADE will be given out for free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users (genuine and activated version of either version of Windows is required). The promotion offer ends 1 years from the date of release of Windows 10, whenever that will be.

If you don't have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade to once Windows 10 will be released, then you'll have period where your Windows 10 Technical Preview latest build will remain active to give you a chance to go and buy it, so that you have at least something.

Nha, you don't sound like a newb. It is something new for many, it's normally not widely shared like that, so it is fine to ask these questions, especially that they are some companies (from the gaming world) who chargers people to beta test, which is simply silly.

Windows 10 Beta (or Technical Preview as it is actually called) is free to test out. Microsoft wants user feedback to make the OS better. And yes, Microsoft has implement may popular suggestions and fixed a great number of bugs and BSOD related issues since the program started. It is also the Technical Preview with the most testers than ever, which should result in an impressive launch version in terms of reliability and stability.

All builds releases, as they come, of the Windows 10 Technical Preview are free to upgrade your current Windows 10 Technical Preview to.

BUT, Microsoft said that it will have a promotion where Windows 10 UPGRADE will be given out for free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users (genuine and activated version of either version of Windows is required). The promotion offer ends 1 years from the date of release of Windows 10, whenever that will be.

If you don't have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade to once Windows 10 will be released, then you'll have period where your Windows 10 Technical Preview latest build will remain active to give you a chance to go and buy it, so that you have at least something.

Nha, you don't sound like a newb. It is something new for many, it's normally not widely shared like that, so it is fine to ask these questions, especially that they are some companies (from the gaming world) who chargers people to beta test, which is simply silly.

So if I were to install it on my laptop with a legit Windows 7, once the launch OS release, I can automatically upgrade for free? If i switch to windows 10 preview do i loose any info on my laptop? I don't feel safe putting it on my main rig lol

So if I were to install it on my laptop with a legit Windows 7, once the launch OS release, I can automatically upgrade for free? If i switch to windows 10 preview do i loose any info on my laptop? I don't feel safe putting it on my main rig lol

We don't know how it will work.

But I would suggest to format, re-install Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. OR if there is a way, format and install Windows 10 official cleanly. It's best not to upgrade a beta OS to a clean OS, even thought the upgrade system of Windows is now very good, it's just best not. You don't want to carry beta stuff with you on the official version, just to be sure to get the best experience.

Well, after the 9926 update my AMd Video driver says it isn't installed and my HDMI display won't recognise. I've tried the unistaller and installing various versions (Stable, Beta, Omega(which doesn't seem to even have a display driver in it for some reason)), and none of them yield a "working "Display driver". I can use my laptop's screen, but I didn't buy a 22" monitor so i can use my Laptop screen.

Also, it seems like they took the perfectly good Stat Menu from the previous build and ruined it by gimping the right click menu and making it no better than a non-fullscreen Metro menu.

has anybody gotten cortona to work in this build? for me its there but voice isnt working?

has anybody gotten cortona to work in this build? for me its there but voice isnt working?

No voice doesn't work on my side.

Text does.

Runs great appart from sb x-fi sound issues especialy ingame as if out of balance sounds odd, while in windows sounds fine, decided to rollback for now.

Still trying to get it on my laptop will see how that go's, may try again on mainrig later after done more research on the audio issue.

Hope i can start testing it properly soon, there defiantly some bugs from windows 8 that i wanna try re produce inside windows 10 which hopefully can bring to attention.

Yea, I would not count on your X-Fi to be Windows 10 ready. It's creative. They have burned me many times (every Windows release). So now they are on my ban list.

I would try alternative drivers for your sound card: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/forums/pax-drivers.174/

Based on my experience not only they are better, but also enables artificially disabled drivers features that Creative does on new Windows versions with a claim that "Windows blocks them to support it, but our new sound card does support it! Buy Now!"

No voice doesn't work on my side.

Text does.

Works for me on some things. If not, it does a bing search by opening up IE. Some things to take into consideration:

• Cortana currently only works on EN-US Builds (United States- English)
  • Only works if logged in with a microsoft account, doesn't work with local accounts
  • Needs internet connectivity for most things

See above, also:

Ask her: "Whats the weather like tomorrow?" and Cortana will do a voice response. 

Well, after the 9926 update my AMd Video driver says it isn't installed and my HDMI display won't recognise. I've tried the unistaller and installing various versions (Stable, Beta, Omega(which doesn't seem to even have a display driver in it for some reason)), and none of them yield a "working "Display driver". I can use my laptop's screen, but I didn't buy a 22" monitor so i can use my Laptop screen.

Also, it seems like they took the perfectly good Stat Menu from the previous build and ruined it by gimping the right click menu and making it no better than a non-fullscreen Metro menu.

Works fine for me on the Omega drivers:

m7Ef2E4.png

Just wanted to add that the current January Technical Preview, and all preview builds do have a built in "timebomb" and will expire eventually:

7Fvczxz.png

Finally, some other thoughts/things I discovered (unrelated to quoted info):

• The new start menu is actually a "metro/modernUI" XAML app. Interesting. Personally, I like what they did.
  • DX12 is packaged with this build. Run "dxdiag" and you can see for yourself! Unfortunately, there aren't any (public) dx12 drivers available for GPUs yet!