Nvidia Vows to Support AMD's Alternative to G-Sync - Adaptive Sync Gets Green Light

According to Sweclockers.com Nvidia told various reporters in a conference which remains under NDA during the Game24 event that it intends to utilize the Adaptive Sync DisplayPort standard to support its arch rivals Project FreeSync technology.

This is very surprising considering AMD's FreeSync directly competes with Nvidia's proprietary solution G-Sync. However the higher BOM cost, licensing fees and closed nature of Nvidia's adaptive refresh rate technology drove the display industry to completely shit focus in favor of FreeSync which is based on the DisplayPort standard "Adaptive Sync" to deliver dynamic refresh rate functinality.

The new Adaptive Sync standard which has been proposed by AMD to the VESA body in early 2014 has been since adpoted and implemented in DisplayPort 1.2a and all future revisions. Monitors with FreeSync support which rely on the DisplayPort Adaptive Sync functionality have already begun sampling and will be available on shelves early next year.

This news from Nvidia came after the industry's biggest scalar vendors pledged support for AMD's Project FreeSync.
This is good news for both AMD and Nvidia users as it means that users of both can jump the fence without worrying about breaking compatibility with their adaptive sync monitor. It also means prospective G-Sync monitor buyers will be able to grab equivalent FreeSync monitors with a significantly reduced price premium. You can also expect much wider variety of adaptive Sync monitors as a result of this.

Open standards always prevail.

If it's true, great :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As reported by Sweclockers.com Nvidia has revealed during the Game24 event that it will actually support FreeSync.

In Progress...

This post is so informative.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then there is a BIG chance of oculus going with a scaler that has variable refresh rates since  oculus doesnt want to take sides

sweclockers got soo many things right before

im crossing my fingers !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This could be a bad thing for them or open up the market a lot.

its an open VESA standard its good for everyone involved :)

i wish if people stopped calling 1.2a variable refresh rate function freesync instead of adaptive sync

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Never thought that nvidia would do this, especially since they have GSync. Kudos to them. 

COMIC SANS

Nvidia supporting freesync is a smart business move. It removes the cost from producing gsync modules and that money can be better used in R&D. Nvidia knows everyone cant afford gsync monitor and all nvidia customers will benefit from freesync.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Good guy Nvidia once again shows that they are ready to play nice if there are reasonable grounds for it, great.

I'm confused by your insinuation that nvidia ever plays nice.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

FreeSync monitors will cost 100$ less due to the fact that there are no licenses etc. This was announced a few days ago. So same monitor with FreeSync will cost 100$ less than the same one with G-Sync! Great new, affordable sync monitors! :D

Holy shit people

Adaptive-sync =/= freesync

Why can nobody understand this...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If I was going to choose between either I would still choose G-Sync

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

If I was going to choose between either I would still choose G-Sync

As would I, it is just more developed as a technology.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

On one hand, this may hurt NVIDIA, but on the other it's exciting.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I have to say I told you so.

Nvidia will end up adopting a similar approach to FreeSync, using integrated display controllers & the Adpative Sync standard to create G-Sync 2.0, 3.0 or whatever intends to call it & completely cut the middle man which is the G-Sync module. Because it's a much better way of doing things both in terms of functionality & cost. You'll still have the G-Sync branding with an Nvidia softwre ecosystem but it'll be wrapped around the adaptive-sync standard.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/197656-freesync-monitors-sampling-next-month-arriving-early-next-year/page-3#entry2688848

Lets just wait a bit until freesync monitors are actually out and we actually have nvidia support for them.

( Oh and a shitload of screen manufacturers picking up freesync is the only reason nvidia are doing this )

They don't support FreeSync,but rather Adaptive Sync.

FreeSync is AMD's product that makes sure Adaptive Sync works with their GPUs.(or any other GPU-s?We don't know)

Adaptive Sync is the foundation here.It allows the monitor to change its refresh rate in real time,according to some given input,coming from the GPU.However,Freesync requires a special monitor,because it has extra tech involved,but why?Because the GPU architecture wasn't designed to also transmit the kind of input Adaptive Sync needs.So,you either had to implement it(Freesync) need inside the GPU(which would be quite tricky,and would mean no support to all older GPU-s),or inside the monitor.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm confused by your insinuation that nvidia ever plays nice.

Now now, there's no need to go that far. Nvidia is a huge corporation, of course there are limits to what they can do—For example, they can't hand over their multi-million R&D results to the competition for nothing (which is what most AMD fanboys are complaining about); That does not make them an evil company. The fact that they chose to openly support Adaptive Sync means they are ready to lose tonnes of money to allow for a more open monitor market, instead of a proprietorially locked down one. What they did with their G-Sync initiative has brought forward a wave of change in the monitor market that we will see the results of in the coming years, and that, I'd say, we should be at least a bit thankful for at the very least.

Cheers,

Linus

nVidia is apart of VESA. Why wouldnt they support it? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green