Nvidia Vows to Support AMD's Alternative to G-Sync - Adaptive Sync Gets Green Light

Hahaha ! laughing my ass off at all the people that said gsync was better than freesync and defended the illogical 150$ additional cost for identical functionality.

Also to everybody that says free-sync isn't adaptive sync. It doesn't matter AMD proposed the adaptive sync standard to VESA in the first place.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-freesync-nvidia-g-sync-vesa,26483.html

Misleading title.

Adaptive Sync is a VESA standard.

FreeSync is AMD's implementation of such standard.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Hahaha ! laughing my ass off at all the people that said gsync was better than freesync and defended the illogical 150$ additional cost for identical functionality.

Once again, FreeSync is not Adaptive Sync; FreeSync uses parts of the Adaptive Sync spec, and is not—as it implies—free, nor is it open.

Cheers,

Linus

Nvidia won't support FreeSync, they will support Adaptive-Sync.

This is not that surprising if you ask me. Great news for us consumers as well. Now we just need monitors that actually support it to be released so we can test them.

I wonder which Nvidia cards will support it. There is a risk that only 9XX cards supports it since only a handful of the newest AMD cards support it.

This is not that surprising if you ask me. Great news for us consumers as well. Now we just need monitors that actually support it to be released so we can test them.

I wonder which Nvidia cards will support it. There is a risk that only 9XX cards supports it since only a handful of the newest AMD cards support it.

They need DP 1.2a

well this is good news b/c if people decide to switch gpu brands (amd to NV or vise versa) then they don't need to buy a new monitor.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

The "industry standard" was proposed by AMD. Give them credit.

They didn't try to hog it for themselves and use it to milk customers. ًWhich Nvidia totally did.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

This should not be surprising at all. Proprietary and expensive solutions will always lose to open and low-cost solutions if the open solution offers the same features and functionality. There are exceptions, but they usually involve a company owning all the patents and not licensing out their technology. In this case, Nvidia did not come up with the technology, so therefore their hands are tied and cannot sue anyone involved with Adaptive Sync, which Nvidia most certainly would do if they had came up with the concept. Rather, they will make the best of the situation and try to beat AMD at their own game, making G-Sync version 2/3 work "better" than free-sync, while utilizing the open adaptive sync instead of a proprietary G-sync module. It's win-win for absolutely everyone involved, maybe at the expense of Nvidia's Ego (if such a thing exists) for pushing the concept forward to desktop monitors.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

They need DP 1.2a

None of the info I can find about FreeSync compatible cards mentions DP 1.2a, just regular 1.2.

They didn't try to hog it for themselves and use it to milk customers. ًWhich Nvidia totally did.

I'll give them credit for proposing porting the VESA eDP standard to DP to VESA and I will give them credit for working with the manufacturers to push the standard.

I won't call Adaptive-Sync FreeSync though because that's just factually wrong. It's as wrong as the sports commentators calling the Surface Pro an iPad.

Not really.eDP had Adaptive Sync before, AMD just proposed to VESA " Hey,let's bring this feature from eDP to DP!"

However,they proposed this invention without any real input,because it didn't really have one.(or at least something that is as useful as GSync,Adaptive Sync in eDP was only meant to reduce refresh rates in certain condition to increase battery life in laptops,where eDP is being used)

Now why is that?Because later on, AMD comes up with a solution that actually provides Adaptive Sync with an input : FreeSync(which,unlike the naming suggests,is not free,and may not be open).

Any manufacturer is free to do that.

Heck,since AMD decided to build FreeSync inside the monitors, Nvidia might decide to build whatever they are going to do inside their GPU architecture.Who knows.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

HAH. AMD Trolls Nvidia (or tries to) during game24, Nvidia comes back "oh yeah, we're gonna support something our rivals are doing so you can use our graphics card on their monitors"

THE TROLL FIGHT HAS BEGUN!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This just makes Display port even more the only connector that you will ever need for video, hopefully it will kill off the terribleness that HDMI is 

1 word that will prevent that: Consoles.

:( as always, console holds us back. at least for gaming standards.

This just makes Display port even more the only connector that you will ever need for video, hopefully it will kill off the terribleness that HDMI is 

I've been pushing for DP for several years now. It still boggles my mind that it's not on every single monitor sold. How come monitors in 2014 are still released with VGA and DVI but not DP? We have had ample support for it from graphics cards for ages now. The only thing holding it back is monitors, and it's royalty free so I doubt it costs that much to implement.

I've been pushing for DP for several years now. It still boggles my mind that it's not on every single monitor sold. How come monitors in 2014 are still released with VGA and DVI but not DP? We have had ample support for it from graphics cards for ages now. The only thing holding it back is monitors, and it's royalty free so I doubt it costs that much to implement.

That might be an answer in and of itself, they can't find a legitimate reason to charge you more for it.

It was just a matter of time though.

2015 G-sync RIP.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It was just a matter of time though.

2015 G-sync RIP.

This is something I can agree with. If this ends up being as good or better than G-Sync then it really will be RIP G-Sync.

I am very surprised by how smoothly the crappy proprietary/vendor-specific stuff went away.

First we had Mantle which only worked on AMD cards but now DirectX and OpenGL will offer the same stuff and work on cards from both manufacturers.

Then we had G-Sync and now we got Adaptive-Sync getting support from both manufacturers.

Misleading title.

Adaptive Sync is a VESA standard.

FreeSync is AMD's implementation of such standard.

Adaptive Sync was proposed by AMD, based on Freesync. Adaptive Sync is AMD's doing, noone else.

Not really.eDP had Adaptive Sync before, AMD just proposed to VESA " Hey,let's bring this feature from eDP to DP!"

However,they proposed this invention without any real input,because it didn't really have one.(or at least something that is as useful as GSync,Adaptive Sync in eDP was only meant to reduce refresh rates in certain condition to increase battery life in laptops,where eDP is being used)

Now why is that?Because later on, AMD comes up with a solution that actually provides Adaptive Sync with an input : FreeSync(which,unlike the naming suggests,is not free,and may not be open).

Any manufacturer is free to do that.

Heck,since AMD decided to build FreeSync inside the monitors, Nvidia might decide to build whatever they are going to do inside their GPU architecture.Who knows.

So much wrong here:

1. No eDP does not have Adaptive Sync. You cannot use variable framerate synced to your fps on a laptop (yet I guess).
  2. Both Adaptive Sync and G-sync is based on Variable VBlank, which is a power savinvgs feature from eDP (hence your confusion). If Adaptive Sync is just an eDP feature, then so is G-sync.
  3. AMD has worked on Freesync for years.
  4. Freesync was announced and created before Adaptive Sync.

It is good news, as it should speed up adaptation of Adaptive Sync monitors, now that Nvidia is onboard as well. AS should be standard in all monitors within a few years, I hope.

I am very surprised by how smoothly the crappy proprietary/vendor-specific stuff went away.

First we had Mantle which only worked on AMD cards but now DirectX and OpenGL will offer the same stuff and work on cards from both manufacturers.

Then we had G-Sync and now we got Adaptive-Sync getting support from both manufacturers.

In both your cases it is because of AMD and their policy of focusing on industry standards. Something I wish Nvidia would approach a lot more.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Nice of them not to be dicks like AMD seems to do sometimes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Adaptive Sync was proposed by AMD, based on Freesync. Adaptive Sync is AMD's doing, noone else.

No you got it the other way around. FreeSync was based on the VESA standard that became Adaptive-Sync.

FreeSync is based on Adaptive-Sync, not the other way around. Pretty sure even the Adaptive-Sync FAQ from VESA says this. Hang on I'll try to find it.

Source: VESA FAQ

Q: How are DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync and Project FreeSync different?

A: DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient DisplayPort™ feature that enables real-time adjustment of monitor refresh rates required by technologies like Project FreeSync. Project FreeSync is a unique AMD hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable user-facing benefits: smooth, tearing-free and low-latency gameplay and video.

Q: Is DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync the industry-standard version of Project FreeSync?

A: The DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync specification was ported from the Embedded DisplayPort™ specification through a proposal to the VESA group by AMD. DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient feature of a DisplayPort™ link and an industry standard that enables technologies like Project FreeSync.

This could be a bad thing for them or open up the market a lot.

I don't think it will be bad but it will be neutral. It will have no effect on Nvidia or AMD's profits if they both support the same thing. If anything it would give Nvidia more of a reason to improve on G-Sync and add new features to G-Sync, so maybe some hardware features on the monitor itself like a h.264 recorder or something. Stuff like that. Or maybe some audio chips or something. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

VGA is to support businesses that refuse to upgrade their computer hardware more than once every 20 years, DVI is a "safe" bet that somebody's graphics card with have it. We have to tolerate HDMI because for some arcane reason things like consoles, DVD players and satellite set-top boxes are still shipping with that connector.

If HD-BluRay with 4k content becomes main-stream HDMI should die out though, what with not supporting the bitrate required by that resolution and framerate.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Thank you basedNvidia

While this is great news for adoption of variable refresh rates I still think there is great value for Nvidia to keep developing G-Sync. The fact that there is a programmable chip in the display could open up possibilities. One thing I think will keep G-Sync superior if they manage to get the R&D done is variable refresh rates with ultra low persistence. Basically G-Sync + ULMB at the same time. That would put G-sync above the regular 1.2a standard.

I always shake my head when people think that FreeSync means it's free, or implies that it's free.

It doesn't, at all. It's just your hopeful thoughts.
Maybe it means 'free to vary the frame refresh', or 'free from a fixed frame rate'?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red