adblock users are questionable

chimmychunger

How so? I guess it depends on what happens when a whole bunch of people are in your house I guess.

Firstly, it's Youtube's house. 

Secondly, Youtube pays the rent every month with no problems.

I got your back little buddy by only using IE.

IE has adblock, and I use it for my surface

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

facepalm

i dont, but here's one for ya, smosh. if they got no ad revenue how good do you think their video's would be, the production values would plummet, hey if i did youtuibe for the money i would be complaining that i only earnt a doller from this. but im not

... the thing is, channels like smosh started by people making videos for fun, not making money off of it, and purely because they liked to do it as a hobby.

Eventually they saw an opportunity to make it their job to do something they love, so yes they started doing youtube for the money. Small channels like yours or channels starting up shouldn't be using YouTube as an income source, simply to have as a hobby or something you enjoy. And you are complaining that you only earned a dollar from it... the whole point of this thread pretty much...

TL;DR- you're one of the people who make small channels who do YouTube as a hobby and make good quality content for the fun of it and not the money look bad and get less views, and I don't like those kind of people because they end up ruining YouTube and opportunities for others.

Firstly, it's Youtube's house.

Secondly, Youtube pays the rent every month with no problems.

Google can pay rent, YouTubers aren't gonna make any content without monitary incentive.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Google can pay rent, YouTubers aren't gonna make any content without monitary incentive.

Really? People did for years before monetization. How do you think youtube got started?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I use adblock all the time, I really hate ads because they annoy me too much. don't really mind it the way Linus does ad integration since its actually kinda cool to watch.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

And this is why your analogy is not accurate...

People empirically create content without being paid for it with money

And if the current Google pay rate/performance appraisal system is insufficient to justify posting on youtube you can

a) post your content somewhere else other than Youtube's house

b ) ask google for a pay raise

c) just not create content and do something else to make money... just like having a job

great, then they can leave.

Youtube is supposed to be a site for any random schmuck to upload a video, no empires, no "rent to be made," nothing more. That's the original idea.

Error: 410

i whitelist LTT stuff and a very select few(NCIX,MKBHD,Austin Evans, and so on) , but i have had adblock for years and personally find it irritating when i have to browse without it. i dont whitelist unless i watch it everyday otherwise if you dont create content that is good enough then deal with it.  

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

This is like walking down the street and have someone yell at me "Hey buddy, why did you looked away from my obtrusive advertisement? I PAID for this bus stop with my add money, fuck you!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

what's wrong is when you get spammed by ads up the wazoo

have you ever tried listening to a youtube playlist without Adblock? You probably won't make it through 5 songs without breaking something.

Nobody has to turn off adblock if they don't want to. It's their freedom to choose if they want to be served ads or not.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but nowhere in the YouTube agreement does it state that you must not have adblocking software to receive free content. The selling point to the user is that it was free all along, the marketing gimmick of paying with pupils isn't inherently a part of it.

YouTube is regarded as free without strings (unless there was some amendment, I'm unaware) what software I happen to run shouldn't be an issue.

On the internet "free" is usually a misapplication of the word and concept, but I'm still holding YouTube to that standard regardless.

That doesn't make you not a dick for watching people's content while preventing them from getting any compensation.

The songs things is a legitimate reason. Anyone who puts an ad on their 4 minute song deserves to get adblocked. IMO, adblocking content that's more than 10 minutes long of edited content, more than 30 minutes long of unedited content, or is an animation is a dick move. Those people worked really hard on their things. They deserve some small amount of money from ads, especially the ones that do it as a living.

That doesn't make you not a dick for watching people's content while preventing them from getting any compensation.

The songs things is a legitimate reason. Anyone who puts an ad on their 4 minute song deserves to get adblocked.

morality is a different issue, you're quoting me in reference to the thread title, I'm responding to what I quoted.

I'm not defending or making any judgements on what I would consider "dickery"

If Youtube is going to hold content hostage until I let something play, I'm going to circumvent that. If the Youtuber really needs or wants the money, I don't really want to support that either way.

Sadly, adblock is still a great antivirus.

And, I always saw YouTube as being "hobby"-first platform to share videos... Good if you make your living out of it, but don't chastise people for using adblock when Google's adds on YouTube are so obnoxious (do it the Linus way inside your video, I have absolutely no problem with it).

Personally, I enable it on YouTube, but disable it for websites I like like here.

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

Oh god...not this thread again.

I have AdBlock disabled on LinusTechTIps and always watch YouTube on my iPad with the Youtube app so no harm done there.

nvm

morality is a different issue, you're quoting me in reference to the thread title, I'm responding to what I quoted.

I'm not defending or making any judgements on what I would consider "dickery"

If Youtube is going to hold content hostage until I let something play, I'm going to circumvent that. If the Youtuber really needs or wants the money, I don't really want to support that either way.

I'm not even sure how what you quoted related to youtube TOS...

Harsh. I use adblock for obvious reasons but its disabled on youtube and twitch etc. because I know it has a real effect on the amount of income for some youtubers/streamers

I'm not even sure how what you quoted related to youtube TOS...

well, alright then

I guess.

I only have it disabled for Linus, Jef, Markiplier, and TekSyndicate-I feel they are some of the only ones who deserve it and I font really subscribe to anyone else so...

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

@helping

@elkenrod

@Trik'Stari

0_0

If you want to watch a video without ads go watch a non monitized video on YouTube. Oh wait, those videos suck since they have very little production value.

People make good quality YouTube videos since they get paid , not from the kindness of their hearts Like you folks are suggesting.

In my eyes that's just you saying

>Google shouldn't put ads and just run YouTube's for free forever since they already have enough money and they should be nice.

>YouTubers should get a job and Make YouTube videos for Your entertainment for free and Have no ads.

>Any website that has ads I block since I don't want to see them and the guys who run the site should just get jobs and pay for the servers themselves or shut down the servers.

Wtf is wrong with you people. Nothing works like that. Soon you would end up with a internet with no content on it.

try looking at what your doing from my perspective rather than your own whiny selfish ones.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Call me a dick.

Dick. what you gonna do fight me? 1v1 720 no scopes only fagot faze style betch (jk)

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

The songs things is a legitimate reason. Anyone who puts an ad on their 4 minute song deserves to get adblocked. IMO, adblocking content that's more than 10 minutes long of edited content, more than 30 minutes long of unedited content, or is an animation is a dick move. Those people worked really hard on their things. They deserve some small amount of money from ads, especially the ones that do it as a living.

If they're doing it for a living, they earn that money. That isn't something to be deserved. They could have chosen to block ads on their own and ask for donations to support themselves, but they didn't. They've chosen to be supported through ads. If they worked really hard on whatever, there should be no shame in asking for donations. You're free to say I'm a dick for it, but my interest in watching videos created by people that call me a dick (especially for these reasons) is nil.

I use adblock, get over it. I only have it turned off for the forums because I'm a nice guy.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

they agree to get free content and (forget that theses stats are mine) the only way that is gonna happen is if the guys making the content get paid and ads are the answer, and whats wrong with 30 seconds of bordom,

Man, it's so awesome to read that from you, knowing you're only making YouTube videos for the money!

-snip-

High production values? Yeah maybe on Linus' side of things, but look at Seannaners and PewDiePie. It's literally just the initial investment of hardware(around $800), then you can pirate Sony Vegas for editing and DXTory for recording or use something free like OBS and then make your videos. Oh and don't forget a webcam for reactions to increase montary value(around $50 for a decent one) and if you want to create thumbnails for your videos, just pirate Photoshop like everyone else.

It literally costs nothing to make YouTube videos, you just need the personality. That's what sells.