ESPN president: Esports are not sports.

nicehat

Copy-of-Esports-vs-Sports-636x310.png

The US government may have officially recognized eSports as a sport on par with the NBA, NFL, NHL (which now allows international players to get US visas for the duration of any American tournaments), but ESPN president John Skipper thinks otherwise:

"It’s not a sport -- it’s a competition," he argued. "Chess is a competition. Checkers is a competition. Mostly, I’m interested in doing real sports."

Skipper had been asked to comment on Amazon's $1 billion acquisition of Twitch. However, it should be noted that ESPN has shown increased interest in eSports during the last few months. There was the COD tournament held during ESPNs X games in Austin, and then dont forget about ESPN3 streaming Valve's "The International Dota 2 tournament" online

Still, its funny that Skipper's dismissing eSports as a competition considering his network's history of broadcasting poker tournaments, abandoning the NHL, and practically avoiding any mention of it on SportsCenter.

Are eSports...sports? I dont think so. Id have to agree with Skipper on this one. I generally correlate sports with physical competition to some degree or another. I find it funny when eSports jerseys come with Thermex and Techniflow technology built into them... I cant help but lol. 

What do you think? are esports....sports? 

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/6/6113877/esports-not-a-sport-espn

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I agree they aren't sports, sports should include at least medium physical activity, chess, also shouldn't be considered a sport 

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

40Idny0.png?1

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I know the following sentence will be restating the obvious, and possibly something stupid, but it holds value and remains true.

An e-sport is an e-sport, not a sport.

Sports are physical competition. E-sports are not, but they're still a competition and held in the same manner as a sport.

That being said, they're still dumb.

e-sports are for sure not a sport, but it's still a massive industry regardless.

its a HIGHLY competitive scene, with millions of viewers and hundreds of thousands of dollars in price money in the big competitions, and even more 1 million. the training and time these people put into getting good at these games are the same as a full time "normal" sports man or woman, while its not a sport its a competition and should still get the visa rights tho

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

sport

Pronunciation: /spɔːt/

noun

1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

They're called "E-sports", not "sports". Doesn't anyone think there just *might* be a reason for that?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They're called "E-sports", not "sports". Doesn't anyone think there just *might* be a reason for that?

The US govt thinks they are sports and recognizes them as equal. What about that 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Isn't chess a sport too?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I hate how we have to classify things ,because you always end up with a problem like this.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

The US govt thinks they are sports and recognizes them as equal. What about that 

So what? On paper that just means they have the same right as "standard" sports to be shown in tv and be sponsored, as well as players having all the benefits that "standard" sport players have, which I'm all for. E-sports to the viewer are a form of entertainment on the same exact level of soccer or rugby and the players also give up most of the time they could use for other things to practice, which means they should have a right to "special lanes" in education etc.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I usually consider competitions for things that aren't in real time; so like chess, YuGiOh, M:TG, etc. IMO the definition of sports should be changed to include eSports / games, as it relies on more than just "thinking", it requires accuracy and speed.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

why are there poker broadcasts then? if that is just competition, why is there such a big stage?!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

The E-Sport term should have never came to be in the first place - someone just thought it was a cool way to refer to tournaments and the internet jumped on the bandwagon

when a "gamer" gets really invested in a game, we keep referring it to being "competitive" - not being "athletic"

I agree with John Skipper

but following up the comment with "Mostly, I'm interested in doing real sports" was really uncalled for. Though it might have just been taken out of context of the whole interview

Name one specific difference between sports and esports other than the platform used, and please don't say that its not physical because it really is-have you ever had a hardcore gaming session in twitch shooter and such?  I see the only difference is that in esports you don't put yourself in a potentially dangerous position. I play soccer and I still consider esports sports.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

As long as we can agree that F1 drivers make every other athlete look like a bunch of sissies. 

I jest of course. F1 drivers go through a lot of shit and have to stay in Olympic level shape all the time just to withstand the cars and also need reflexes that put 99.9% of the population to shame, and thats the extreme end of "sport"

E-Sports falls under the definition of being a sport. We can argue semantics all day of course. 

I agree with him. Video games are not a sport, they are an e-sport. 

e-sport = electronic sport 

Hardly even a "sport", but gives us a term to recognize competitive gaming with...or we could just use the term  "competitive gaming"...

COMIC SANS

If the BBC puts darts and snooker under the BBC sport banner, then e-sports would definitely be considered a sport. However, IMO e-sports are not a sport, so I agree with mr. Skipper, but having never taken part in e-sports I can't really say how strenuous it is. I just see it as a bunch of people sat at desks drinking energy drinks and struggling with chronic sweating from profuse brain overload trying to outwit the other team/people.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

sports are sports esports =/= sports esports are esports

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4