Issues With The LTT Community

CowsGoRoar

And just to help out, people can messege me and i will help best i can and if not i will point you to the right direction :) 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

how long ago did you post it? sometimes it takes some time for good answers, please be patient :)

Today.  probably around 7:30 which is about 3 hours ago.  I know I need to be patient, but sometimes I don't get any helpful answers at all if any for my topics.

hmm...conclusion for thus collectively hard analytics

some people ( through all ages) are not able / willing to read a text, that contains more than 142 characters.

some people won't wait for answers longer, as the icecube lives on in the limonade.

some people won't pick / decide between multiple answers; or can't figure out which one is the most reasonable.

some people may think, that oneliners and pictures reduce the ( helpful) content of an answer.

some people just can't carefully step over those religious ( red & green ) roll over on the ground in front.

some people have no faith in the mod team at all.

some people think they have to post on everything between heaven and earth; others just read.

some people think the internet / communities could be changed over night ( a rant or a thread full of clever arguments); please ^^ 'The journey is the destination.'

tumblr_nbkoyxxU1M1rn7bzro1_400.gif

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I think this thread has some effect, been getting nothing but positive replies on my posts :) lets see how long it lasts lol, but then again the 'bashers' dont bother me as much as some. I scim over them ( and laugh to myself ). 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Firstly, some people need to realise that this is a forum. It's not technical support. There will be joking around and banter. People aren't here just to answer your questions. 

Secondly, this community is pretty damn helpful. If you're not getting serious answers, it could be down to your own actions. Take the time to look for the information yourself first, phrase your question properly, and give enough details. If you're coming here asking people to do your homework for you, you need to grow up a bit and take responsibility.

this is why i use red font and under line specific things when i post a question

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

You will find this on pretty much any forum, not just LTT. It's just the sad world we live in.

Edit: I feel like I should mention that any questions I've ever asked here were answered quickly and were very very helpful. OCN however...... lol.

World's top topic derailers......only on LTT forums.So fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride ladies and gentlemen.

I feel the same way, I recently asked if the Logitech G600 was any durable and any good for big hands and suddenly people starting saying stuff like: "If you don't use the buttons on the side, it's not for you.", and "It's just a white Razer Naga."

People just need to read the text thoroughly and say things that are RELEVANT!

Thats actually better response that I've seen on some topics about mice. I see question "Is xxx any good?" which is provocative for some users and I know some hate that kind of title/topic style. But that doesn't give right to only post products that are posters think are better.

Which brings us to this:

I agree. Months ago I was looking into a new phone, and despite writing  that due to the fact I am in Australia and could not (and wouldn't anyway) get a One Plus One, someone told me to get it anyway. Also when looking into the Pebble smartwatch and using it without a phone, people kept suggesting normal watches. Not that they were bad watches, but not really answering the question.

This problem is two sided. As one is when users doesn't tell area of shopping. In which case people will post the absolute best in their option. Same goes when price range isn't mentioned. And the other side is when location and budget are known and people are still posting about products that aren't available/out of range.

Solution (or one) would be to give place of purchase if you only have few stores to pick from.

Today.  probably around 7:30 which is about 3 hours ago.  I know I need to be patient, but sometimes I don't get any helpful answers at all if any for my topics.

3h is being really impatient on international forum. 12-24h will give more time for people who might have valuable input. If you are somewhat impulse buyer or go for deals this should still be enough time to get good advise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thats actually better response that I've seen on some topics about mice. I see question "Is xxx any good?" which is provocative for some users and I know some hate that kind of title/topic style. But that doesn't give right to only post products that are posters think are better.

Which brings us to this:

This problem is two sided. As one is when users doesn't tell area of shopping. In which case people will post the absolute best in their option. Same goes when price range isn't mentioned. And the other side is when location and budget are known and people are still posting about products that aren't available/out of range.

Solution (or one) would be to give place of purchase if you only have few stores to pick from.

3h is being really impatient on international forum. 12-24h will give more time for people who might have valuable input. If you are somewhat impulse buyer or go for deals this should still be enough time to get good advise.

I know...I've just had issues before where people don't respond...at all... or I get really unhelpful response after I've waited a week.

I think it also has to do on which sub forum you post on. I always get quick precise answers that educate me in the Water Cooling section. But some questions need other sub forums that have a less "informed" crowd. 

Also the people with 1000 post but only 100 likes really bother me.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

The issue isn't about not getting your question answered, it's about the irrelevant posts.

Basically it's this: is it helpful? Will OP say "No shit sherlock." or "Thanks for your help?"

I think it also has to do on which sub forum you post on. I always get quick precise answers that educate me in the Water Cooling section. But some questions need other sub forums that have a less "informed" crowd. 

Also the people with 1000 post but only 100 likes really bother me.

The only reason why some people have 1000 posts and 100 likes is because most of their posts are useless. No one gives you a like if you don't answer the question.

I believe I represent a majority when I say we are the most perfect people in all the world-except for the trolls.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I just had some douche today do this. It wasn't even a fucking answer. It was an honest to god story (like those ones you see on Facebook).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

if someone asks a stupid (unreasonably stupid) question I give stupid answers. if someone makes a lazy post, I give a lazy response. If I get a solid OP with relevant information then I give a quality answer. If I get an OP with barely any information I sometimes won't even bother replying or ask a question to help other people help OP and then leave. If it's a LMGTFY type question I either don't respond or post a google search link with a small explanation.

In the few threads I've made, I've gotten pretty meaningful responses, and I don't make simple l2google type threads because I only ask a question if I seriously can't figure it out myself. I usually include relevant information and spend a lot of time making a detailed and concise post.

A lot of people don't do that, this isn't the fault of the responders alone.

I just had some douche today do this. It wasn't even a fucking answer. It was an honest to god story (like those ones you see on Facebook).

I know you know that thread was lowly lmgtfy fodder

Error: 410

if someone asks a stupid (unreasonably stupid) question I give stupid answers. if someone makes a lazy post, I give a lazy response. If I get a solid OP with relevant information then I give a quality answer. If I get an OP with barely any information I sometimes won't even bother replying or ask a question to help other people help OP and then leave.

In the few threads I've made, I've gotten pretty meaningful responses, and I don't make simple l2google type threads because I only ask a question if I seriously can't figure it out myself. I usually include relevant information and spend a lot of time making a detailed and concise post.

A lot of people don't do that, this isn't the fault of the responders alone.

I know you know that thread was lowly lmgtfy fodder

Well... Homework over 480. That's my rule.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've found my experience when asking questions to be very good actually, especially in the Audio subforum.

I think the way you ask a question goes a long way to the quality of answers you may receive.

I answer a lot of questions, I've given a lot of good answers, but remember nobody owes you their time, nobody gets paid to answer your questions they just offer up what they can/are willing and if that's not good enough for you then there's a whole world of professionals who make a living solving computer related issues.

I answer a crazy amount more than I ask on this forum and don't mind if nobody notices, but this kind of thread that generalises and judges the commmunity as a whole as if it should be a perfectly oiled free question answering machine with no kinks kind of annoys me when nobody's judging the quality of questions.

If you get a bad answer, just ignore it and treat it as if they posted nothing, what did you give them for that answer? You didn't lose anything...

I've found my experience when asking questions to be very good actually, especially in the Audio subforum.

I think the way you ask a question goes a long way to the quality of answers you may receive.

I answer a lot of questions, I've given a lot of good answers, but remember nobody owes you their time, nobody gets paid to answer your questions they just offer up what they can/are willing and if that's not good enough for you then there's a whole world of professionals who make a living solving computer related issues.

I answer a crazy amount more than I ask on this forum and don't mind if nobody notices, but this kind of thread that generalises and judges the commmunity as a whole as if it should be a perfectly oiled free question answering machine with no kinks kind of annoys me when nobody's judging the quality of questions.

If you get a bad answer, just ignore it and treat it as if they posted nothing, what did you give them for that answer? You didn't lose anything...

Well, why would they bother wasting their time giving a stupid useless answer? 

Post whoring is a pretty big one. Don't see why, since it's just a number on an online forum. Not like post count will win you a good career or get you bitches.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Post whoring is a pretty big one. Don't see why, since it's just a number on an online forum. Not like post count will win you a good career or get you bitches.

But then they might as well post something useful...  And I totally agree, why does it matter how many posts you have at all?

Also, let me get my progressive side on, please use more respectful terms for the opposite sex :) 

I don't know and don't care, you can either ban them or allow them to continue AFAIK, I am not a moderator and cannot approach people about their posts  so that's my perspective.

That a problem with the tech community as a whole not just LTT.

It's really not. If you read http://news.ycombinator.com for a while you will see it's not the case. There are PLENTY (dare I say tons?) of techies and programmers and hackers that use Macs and Linux. They all hate Windows for the most part too. I'm not saying we need to go that far but some acceptance would be nice.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't know and don't care, you can either ban them or allow them to continue.

I'm an admin?

WOOOOOOOO!

But then they might as well post something useful...  And I totally agree, why does it matter how many posts you have at all?

Also, let me get my progressive side on, please use more respectful terms for the opposite sex :) 

I wasn't trying to be serious. ;)

And it's easier just to shitpost than to actually help.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I wasn't trying to be serious. ;)

And it's easier just to shitpost than to actually help.

Whatever, there's no hope of controlling the trolls :(