Issues With The LTT Community

CowsGoRoar

Did you take it apart?

Took the back off, can't get at much else though.. When I press the volume up button with ringtone maxed out, it sounds as loud as mom's S5

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

While I understand your point, there is a community aspect to it.

If you posted anything like this in a Unix-related IRC or forum, you'd get a very prompt RTFM and a request to leave.

Is this Unix-related?

This has more to do with psychological age than physical. I am a pretty young dude, and I feel like a more mature person than a good portion of people here. One person used his supposed age to "outman" me, with laughable failure. Many people have stated their points to be absolute facts (some members are especially notorious for this), and when I questioned it, I get treated as a moron and a troll (that always was a facepalm-worthy contradiction).

I am fine with this being restricted to off-topic, but unfortunately, it is spreading to Tech News, where it is the least ideal, among other places. That is what bothers me.

And speaking of 4Chan, you should get some popcorn and read one of the threads. I will not post a link for very obvious reasons, but it is hilarious how people react to the OP.

/g/ is pretty helpful tbh

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

And speaking of 4Chan, you should get some popcorn and read one of the threads. I will not post a link for very obvious reasons, but it is hilarious how people react to the OP.

No, I've seen it. I know what you're talking about, that's why I said what I said.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Is this Unix-related?

No. Hence "if."

My point was that people here are nicer than normal. If you come in with stupid questions elsewhere you get LMGTFY links or no love at all.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No. Hence "if."

My point was that people here are nicer than normal. If you come in with stupid questions elsewhere you get LMGTFY links or no love at all.

I'm glad you guys are nice, that's why I'm here. I want to make this community the best.

Other forums don't even look as good, let alone the community, but sometimes I just prefer the others when it comes to asking a question.

Forums are free to join. When they stop being interesting or I dont get what I want from it then i leave. I will also admit I like some of the trolling and bickering, it can be good entertainment when I am bored.....

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

If people don't talk on a thread after a while, it will just die...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

To me, your thread got answered well but I do know what you are saying, you're not wrong but you're not right either, the question you asked had a simple answer, Yes it will effect the performance, by how much exactly, well to be frank, we can't say, we have no idea, it depends on the game that you are playing, and all those variables that coincide with said game. Also, we don't get paid for this, we take time out of our lives to help you, we have lives and jobs and other things, we can;t just sit around all day writing a response for a thread, if we got some sort of payment, it might be a different story but we don't so deal with it and for the video links, 9 times out of 10 they will explain it better than we can so just deal with it and sure, some things you should try to avoid like asking if AMD is better than Intel or Nvidia (just really say away from asking that or go consult some experienced members about that issue and you'll be fine) but calling the majority of these forums "useless" just no... 

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

Because if you're a Mac user on this forum you get put through the wringer, constantly. It's because below a certain age devotion to a platform is more religious or institutionalized than objective, and a significant majority of our users are below that age. Above that age, some still can't become rational about it. Instead, they try and find evidence to support their irrational claims and resort to ad hominems when they can't.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with age and maturity, places like overclock.net don't attract the kind of users these forums do. They attract enthusiasts of all sorts, and overclocking in their definition means using technology life hacks to increase the productivity of your production workflows in programming and occasionally gaming as well.

They're friendlier there, and they accept people from all platforms. They still joke about Apple constantly, but they understand it's immature and will admit to it if asked.

That's why it upsets me. Honestly sometimes when people tell me to leave I almost feel like I should.

I'm sorry...  I am sick of people judging me for my age...  People who are young also go through the wringer....  I am young and I don't defend my platform religiously so please phase things a bit more considerately   

I'm sorry...  I am sick of people judging me for my age...  People who are young also go through the wringer....  I am young and I don't defend my platform religiously so please phase things a bit more considerately   

I may try to say to add onto his post that this is why maturity is included as a separate word.

There are plenty of young, mature, sorted people on this forum. I can name several, including yourself and @Lanoi. But there are also plenty of people in that age group that are not so mature.

I won't judge based on age -- I know better. Just because you're 13/14/15 doesn't mean you can't be intelligent and civil. I am 16, and yet people are suprised that I am not older.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I may try to say to add onto his post that this is why maturity is included as a separate word.

There are plenty of young, mature, sorted people on this forum. I can name several, including yourself and @Lanoi. But there are also plenty of people in that age group that are not so mature.

I won't judge based on age -- I know better. Just because you're 13/14/15 doesn't mean you can't be intelligent and civil. I am 16, and yet people are suprised that I am not older.

Yeah, I agree but some people use maturity (or lack thereof) as a replacement for age.  Which annoys me.  I was asking him to be more thoughtful of that, that is all.  :)

My biggest problem is the blind hatred for companies and prodcts

I have issues with the LTT community. I would like to express it so that some of you may become a better contributor.

The forum has lots of threads, and it's great to get your concern solved.

But I found that I almost never get a thread solved.

Several minutes ago, I asked a question: How Much Performance Decrease From i7 to i5 for Game Streaming?

The answers were there in less than a minute. Maybe even half of that.

Because they didn't even answer my question.

The first answer was "yes the i7 would be better for streaming" (which the post was later edited to add "but an i5 would probably be good enough.")

Which still doesn't answer my question.

A month ago, I asked 2 specific questions about push/pull, and in less than a minute, I got an answer.

The answer was a link to Linus' video "Push or Pull or Push/Pull" which was almost irrelevant to my post.

The main issue that users skim the title and rush to answer the post in hopes to get likes.

I understand that your profile counts the number of likes that you have, which give you a good rep.

But I think that the whole point of the LinusTechTips forum is to be able to educate someone and help each other out.

So please, read the title and description before posting. It really helps. :)

I actually agree with this and what @Builder has said. It gets irritating and I hardly ever get my answer completely solved.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

See a few weeks ago i posted something like: "What is the heat and noise difference between an MSI R9 270x and an MSI R9 270x ITX at full load and idle".

It received not a single reply. and considering the fact i was unable to find the information online on my own i assume the card was simply unpopular and no one on the forum actually new, so i moved on. i would say it's the same in this case with the I5-I7. if i saw that and didn't know the answer i'd move on, and i'm sure a-lot of people did, making it so all you saw were the spam comments (which is still better than none, at least you were acknowledged ;) )

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Do you guys think I'm part of the problem?

(Totally) Not really tho. Just joking with you.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

You're open to people's opinions. You actually express your own and are not afraid to be criticized. I agree that it has to do with age and maturity. There are so many immature 12 year olds here that bang on about how consoles are shit, they're inferior, they're for peasants, etc. Same goes with Apple products. I own a Mac Mini, I own an iPhone, I own an Apple TV. And for every time I say this, someone makes a snide, childish comment about it and treats it as a fact. Even I did so to your post about Unix and OS X and I regret doing so. But we can't change immature children, we can only wish they bugger off.

Basically, we need more users with open minds and a willingness to be and stay friendly and impartial.

I could not agree more, every time I mention on a thread that I have iPhone, I get a whole bunch of twelve year olds saying how apple is crap. People need to remember this is a tech forum and all tech is welcome not just PC's and Android phones.

This has been brought up plenty of time before. By moderators and by users. Sadly, there isn't right way of changing things. There are, however, ways for us users to make it better, post by post and user by user. Report 'em.

Current CoC has rules against meme's, jokeposts, misguiding, spam etc. Basicly it gives reason for us brave reporters to clean those idiots posting stupid things. But thats all we can do. There isn't any way to educate people of the internet about how to behave on forums. And places like Reddit don't encourage on good behaviour either.

As for you @CowsGoRoar and people who make this a age thing. That isn't the problem. I've been in gaming community which had age range from 12 to 45. Age range for goofs was 12-45. Same with nice guys. And gals.

I browse selection of subforums daily. Usually the time is 9-12cet. So I don't get to have first word really often. Usually thread can be considered solved by the point when I read it. And I'm always happy to see those threads. But then there are threads with 20 posts but one or more of OPs questions hasn't been answered because posters have started argument over first question.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A big problem here, with a few people, is that they want to dig too deep in to a person's question.

For example, if someone asks "will a 750W power supply handle two GTX 760s" then the majority of the answers will be a resounding "yes." I fully understand the concern to dig a little bit deeper such as "what CPU will you be running, that impacts the answer to be given" because it makes complete sense. Yes, you can probably run two 760s off a 400W power supply no problem, throw a CPU in the the equation and it becomes an issue, it also draws power. But with a little bit of deductive reasoning you can generalize the answer. Yes a CPU impacts the power draw, no duh, but when the cards themselves draw around 350W I highly doubt you're going to find a CPU that draws above 400W to make it a concern to you. Hence the simple answers of "yes" to the thread.

Common sense needs to be used, but for things where you can use your noggin and think just a little bit more, you don't need to ask questions and instead give a quick, simple answer. There's not many special cases of being the guy using a thousand and one fans in his system for God knows why adding that much to the power draw.

I get this to some degree. Sometimes I'll see a thread but I find that even though I can pass comment, I don't really feel like I have anything useful to contribute. Then again, it is nice to pitch in quite often. 
I mean, even now, I'm just adding my comment, I doubt it's actually going to help anyone, but I'll still do so anyway.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Also, everyone wants help IN GENERAL DISCUSSION and the help threads out of it don't get ANSWERS. Also annoying.

---- DONT DUMP THREADS IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION! ----

Welcome to the internet?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the inly issue i have is when people ask questions like will (GPU) be able to run (this game) on ultra.... i dont no why this question makes me mad but is it really that hard to look at a youtube video  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER