Issues With The LTT Community

CowsGoRoar

What if I told you there was no exact answer to your first question.

Also that there is probably enough information on the forum already to be able to come to that conclusion.

Educating isn't just answering your questions. Its about enabling you to answer your own questions.

I'm sorry...  I am sick of people judging me for my age...  People who are young also go through the wringer....  I am young and I don't defend my platform religiously so please phase things a bit more considerately   

I'm not judging you for your age, I'm saying there's a large problem with maturity here and it's not because all of this forum's users are over 30.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I find it unsettling that "LOL ITS THE INTERNET WHAT DID YOU EXPECT" replies are popping up in this thread.

Just because it's the internet doesn't mean it's acceptable to waste the OP's time with irrelevant posts on his thread.

You don't do that in real life, so you shouldn't do it on the internet, either. 

I think the problem is that:

1. there's no way to stop that behavior

2. The LTT forums seem to attract a younger audience. 

3. The users that are here can't admit when they're wrong.

I made a post on reddit a few weeks ago regarding an issue with a dwm.exe process chugging CPU and cross-posted it here.

Someone replied "what behavior are you experiencing?" even though I had clearly stated in my post what the problem was. He even had the nerve to accuse me of going back and retroactively editing my OP when I pointed out his inability to read . I didn't edit the post because I COPIED AND PASTED IT FROM REDDIT. Behavior like that encourages people to simply not ask questions here because the replies are just time wasting.

I'm totally with the OP in his arguments, but I just don't see an easy way to fix it. 

Another problem with LTT is reposting simple questions, but I won't even dive into that one...

Because if you're a Mac user on this forum you get put through the wringer, constantly. It's because below a certain age devotion to a platform is more religious or institutionalized than objective, and a significant majority of our users are below that age. Above that age, some still can't become rational about it. Instead, they try and find evidence to support their irrational claims and resort to ad hominems when they can't.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with age and maturity, places like overclock.net don't attract the kind of users these forums do. They attract enthusiasts of all sorts, and overclocking in their definition means using technology life hacks to increase the productivity of your production workflows in programming and occasionally gaming as well.

They're friendlier there, and they accept people from all platforms. They still joke about Apple constantly, but they understand it's immature and will admit to it if asked.

That's why it upsets me. Honestly sometimes when people tell me to leave I almost feel like I should.

Don't leave builder, we don't see eye to eye on things but I value having your opinion around. It try to be neutral regarding windows/osx and in general most of life. But its nice seeing your opinion in the wave of we are sheep replies.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Don't leave builder, we don't see eye to eye on things but I value having your opinion around. It try to be neutral regarding windows/osx and in general most of life. But its nice seeing your opinion in the wave of we are sheep replies.

People like you make me think there's still a chance to turn this community around.

I thank you for your encouragement.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'll just copy my blogpost as it fits perfectly for this issue

Hmm, where to start.

Believe it or not, I had a hard time thinking to post this or not. I might have exaggerated several points, but seeing these things describe below happen, just seems intolerable to me.

If I see another one line comment on this thread, I'm reporting it.

Welcoming people who actually have a point, and would spend some time elaborating on it.

I've noticed alot of comments on certain threads, which could be very abusive to the OP, (original poster). Also noticed alot of comments lacking the 'effort', and are just made to get post count...
And, that is the main point of this post. To start off, here is an example of a thread which the comments make no sense at all. No offense to anyone.

http://linustechtips...1801-the-power/

Note the number of 'Lack of effort posts'. Those are redundant.
Redundant posts have no meaning, and they are generally spam in any means.
That is not the main concern.

The actual point is the Effort.

Lets see how many effortless, as in one sentence replies are there: 1, 2, 4, 6 replies.

Now let's see how many offensive, rude, or plain wrong replies you can spot around the forums overall.

This. Is. Ridiculous.

I dare you guys:

• If you have nothing to contribute to a thread then shut up and leave it alone.
  • If you have something to contribute then do it productive which means: Reading the whole post, Read the replys and then help solving the problem.
  • To all the others who getting personal so fast. Just. leave. Nobody cares if you win this or not. It's on the internet, your dick won't grow from it. You only disturbing the problemsolving.
  • Post count is a number on the screen. Didn't you all grow up on it already?
  • And what's the worst? PUT EFFORT IN IT. Nobody benefits from this garbage slammed down within 5 minutes. Try to explain your solution. Probably the Op has no idea what you are talking about.

I don't care if you like this or not. But this community has a damn problem nobody is working on. At least try to be mature.

End of rant. 

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I find it unsettling that "LOL ITS THE INTERNET WHAT DID YOU EXPECT" replies are popping up in this thread.

Just because it's the internet doesn't mean it's acceptable to waste the OP's time with irrelevant posts on his thread.

You don't do that in real life, so you shouldn't do it on the internet, either. 

I think the problem is that:

1. there's no way to stop that behavior

2. The LTT forums seem to attract a younger audience. 

3. The users that are here can't admit when they're wrong.

THIS.

What people fail to understand here is that it is not really an "it always happens here" kind of situation. Especially not in this case.

I have been a member for a mere few months, and even I have noticed the increase of hostility and sensationalism here, elder members included. If that is not a blatantly obvious red flag, then I really do not know what is.

• If you have nothing to contribute to a thread then shut up and leave it alone.
  • If you have something to contribute then do it productive which means: Reading the whole post, Read the replys and then help solving the problem.
  • To all the others who getting personal so fast. Just. leave. Nobody cares if you win this or not. It's on the internet, your dick won't grow from it. You only disturbing the problemsolving.
  • Post count is a number on the screen. Didn't you all grow up on it already?
  • And what's the worst? PUT EFFORT IN IT. Nobody benefits from this garbage slammed down within 5 minutes. Try to explain your solution. Probably the Op has no idea what you are talking about.

All of these, especially the third point, should be more strictly enforced by the moderators. I am getting sick and tired of some members throwing a fit over the most petty of concerns.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I am getting sick and tired of some members throwing a fit over the most petty of concerns.

I personally think ad hominem attacks should be a banned offense. But that's just me.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Typical patronizing help, you ask for one thing and they tell you what you REALLY want. It's not worth arguing with people that act like this, because it takes way too long for them to get over what it was like in the first place.

The only appropriate response is "I'm well aware of that, now what about what I asked?"

Gang Garrison 2 developer.

This community has grown much too large.

There are communities far larger than this that don't have the issues we have.

We need to drop the segregationist attitude about different platforms, brands, and ways of playing games, that's all. It's all tech. This isn't LinusWindowsTips or LinusPCTips or LinusMasterRaceTips. It's LinusTechTips, for crying out loud.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's grown incredibly quickly in the last 6-8 months. So as an assumption, which is almost certainly wrong, many people have decided to build a PC because they were underwhelmed by the new consoles. Quite a number of these new members are fairly young, although that is in no way a negative. But then some of them, who are not as mature as others, have chosen to "dissuade" others from buying/doing something they deem "unworthy" such as asking about what CPUs, GPUs, even consoles to get for example. There aren't too many of these people, and the majority of active forum members overall are helpful, insightful and knowledgeable, however there is the law of the opinionated to take into account, which is that the most opinionated will always be the most vocal.

If I'm giving a post that isn't in off topic, I like to try and give a detailed answer, supplying alternatives to the original post if that is involved, for example cases, because I want to be helpful and give options for people. But at the end of the day it is human nature to see only what you want to see, and I'm sure everyone on the forum, myself included, can be found guilty of making rushed, unhelpful answers every once in a while. Usually you will get the answer you are looking for one way or another, but sometimes you just have to live with the trolls.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

We need to drop the segregationist attitude about different platforms, brands, and ways of playing games, that's all. It's all tech. This isn't LinusWindowsTips or LinusPCTips or LinusMasterRaceTips. It's LinusTechTips, for crying out loud.

And tech includes everything from consoles, to apple products, to people using nvidia just because its their personal preference. Like I just like using Intel and Nvidia, and thats just my preference.

I personally think ad hominem attacks should be a banned offense. But that's just me.

You are not the only one; I am with you. As well, I know a number of members who are basically facepalming at the entire scenario.

Let me add to that:

This isn't Linus4ChanTips; this isn't LinusPoliticsTips;  this isn't LinusNukeTips; this isn't LinusFeminazisMustDieTips...

Shall I go on?

It's grown incredibly quickly in the last 6-8 months. So as an assumption, which is almost certainly wrong, many people have decided to build a PC because they were underwhelmed by the new consoles. Quite a number of these new members are fairly young, although that is in no way a negative. But then some of them, who are not as mature as others, have chosen to "dissuade" others from buying/doing something they deem "unworthy" such as asking about what CPUs, GPUs, even consoles to get for example. There aren't too many of these people, and the majority of active forum members overall are helpful, insightful and knowledgeable, however there is the law of the opinionated to take into account, which is that the most opinionated will always be the most vocal.

If I'm giving a post that isn't in off topic, I like to try and give a detailed answer, supplying alternatives to the original post if that is involved, for example cases, because I want to be helpful and give options for people. But at the end of the day it is human nature to see only what you want to see, and I'm sure everyone on the forum, myself included, can be found guilty of making rushed, unhelpful answers every once in a while. Usually you will get the answer you are looking for one way or another, but sometimes you just have to live with the trolls.

This is an issue beyond the new members. There are people, who were members since the forum started, that still fall into the habit of bringing arbitrary information, and resort to ad hominem attacks to "prove their point". This is absolutely pathetic!

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

-snip-

LinusPolitips? :D

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

LinusPolitips? :D

OK, now that just sounds wrong! :blink:

I feel the same way, I recently asked if the Logitech G600 was any durable and any good for big hands and suddenly people starting saying stuff like: "If you don't use the buttons on the side, it's not for you.", and "It's just a white Razer Naga."

People just need to read the text thoroughly and say things that are RELEVANT!

✌ (≧◉◡◉≦)✌

I agree. Months ago I was looking into a new phone, and despite writing  that due to the fact I am in Australia and could not (and wouldn't anyway) get a One Plus One, someone told me to get it anyway. Also when looking into the Pebble smartwatch and using it without a phone, people kept suggesting normal watches. Not that they were bad watches, but not really answering the question.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

This is clash in the natures of the people on this forum, some of us like to read things quick, some like getting every detail down, some read multiple times, others then read the title and comment, there are even people that commend based on the comments instead of the actual OP. This might be my first forum but ive learned a lot over the time that i have been here, the forum has had its ips and its downs. There are people that have come and gone, personalities that will be missed greatly. I like to adopt the rule that linus has, if anyone is trolling then ignore them, better yet dont reply dont even notice their existence because if they arent willing to put effort in something like this then they dont deserve your time. But then there are other factors like stress, anger and toe cramps which can make someone not act as they normally do, ive done my fair share of sh** on this forum but I try to be as mature as i can be while that doesnt always work out i like to think that the people that have been here for a long time have a responsibility to show the new guys how its done. I tend to follow the virtue that whatever i say on the internet is what im saying to the persons face, treat everyone with respect and you will get respect back. Id write more but i have important anime that isnt gonna watch itself.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Typical patronizing help, you ask for one thing and they tell you what you REALLY want. It's not worth arguing with people that act like this, because it takes way too long for them to get over what it was like in the first place.

The only appropriate response is "I'm well aware of that, now what about what I asked?"

Ill agree its what happens yo uask about 2 products they suggest another. I prefer to go about it where you andswer their question then if you think there is a better option suggest it.

I disagree, especially since much of the community isnt all that active.

That a problem with the tech community as a whole not just LTT. Also I think it has much to do with theis forums demographic due to the demographic that watches Linus. Also I have a feeling that this is many people first forum.

I feel the same way, I recently asked if the Logitech G600 was any durable and any good for big hands and suddenly people starting saying stuff like: "If you don't use the buttons on the side, it's not for you.", and "It's just a white Razer Naga."

People just need to read the text thoroughly and say things that are RELEVANT!

Its as durable as any logitech mouse and its good for bigger hands I wouldnt necessarily big ones.

I have issues with the LTT community. I would like to express it so that some of you may become a better contributor.

The forum has lots of threads, and it's great to get your concern solved.

But I found that I almost never get a thread solved.

Several minutes ago, I asked a question: How Much Performance Decrease From i7 to i5 for Game Streaming?

The answers were there in less than a minute. Maybe even half of that.

Because they didn't even answer my question.

The first answer was "yes the i7 would be better for streaming" (which the post was later edited to add "but an i5 would probably be good enough.")

Which still doesn't answer my question.

A month ago, I asked 2 specific questions about push/pull, and in less than a minute, I got an answer.

The answer was a link to Linus' video "Push or Pull or Push/Pull" which was almost irrelevant to my post.

The main issue that users skim the title and rush to answer the post in hopes to get likes.

I understand that your profile counts the number of likes that you have, which give you a good rep.

But I think that the whole point of the LinusTechTips forum is to be able to educate someone and help each other out.

So please, read the title and description before posting. It really helps. :)

To be honest, a forum in the field of enthusiast computers and technology was never going to be an easy place to get things sorted out, what with dozens upon dozens of brands and companies, all with their own huge following, everyone with different experiences with all of them. People are going to have disagreements.

Everyone on this thread, don't get the wrong idea. Despite the frankly inevitable conflicts and the ever-present issue of bone-idle lazy people who can't be bothered to answer questions properly, we do get things done on this forum. I've been on dozens of threads where the OP has asked a question and after some discussion, came away very, very pleased indeed that he had come to us for help. That's where we succeed as a forum. No, we're not perfect, and we bicker and argue, a LOT. But when it comes down to it, generally when someone has a question, be it complicated or simple, and provided that the idea is communicated clearly, we help a hell of a lot of people. And really, I think that we at LTT are one of the more reasonable communities out there (Tek Syndicate for instance is a lot less forgiving.)

To the OP, yes, there are people on here who for whatever reason, think that some questions are tiresome and useless and so put tiresome and useless answers to "make the problem go away", in order to get themselves brownie points as an added bonus. But please don't lump all of us in with those people. We do try to help everyone who comes onto this forum as best we can. Not everyone is looking for so straight an answer, and a lot of the time straight answers just aren't possible. Sometimes things have to be discussed out, sometimes those discussions take a few moments, maybe hours, occasionally even days to work out. You can expect initial replies on this forum to be relatively quick but you can by no means expect an answer to be instantaneous. This is not a chat line. Different people are on here at different times, and nobody knows everything. Be patient and eventually an answer will be reached.

No disrespect is meant here. We have to admit our faults as a community, but at the end of the day, I think we do our job well, considering.

@KemoKa very well said, i think the majority of our members will help, and give great advice. The minority in these forums are the "bad apples". When i ask questions i usually get a mixture of both, so i just scan over the trolls and fanboys and look for the intelligent answers. People who get so offended by people on here need to have "thicker skin" , not everyone is respectable. And OP, you will find this out in real life as you go through life. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

People who get so offended by people on here need to have "thicker skin" , not everyone is respectable.

This^

Totally right. This is an extremely blunt, straightforward, no-nonsense forum (with regards to when actual answers are provided) and some of the conclusions and statements we make here are brutally honest. That puts some people off. We don't beat about the bush here. If your computer sucks, we will call you out on it and we're not gonna say sorry. Saying sorry doesn't make it better. Instead, we then try and help you make your computer better. that makes things better. In terms of computers, you can count on most of us to help you make the best machine you can.

this topic is very true.  I just posted a thing about is a HTC One M7 still a good phone choice and didn't get any helpful answers.

this topic is very true.  I just posted a thing about is a HTC One M7 still a good phone choice and didn't get any helpful answers.

how long ago did you post it? sometimes it takes some time for good answers, please be patient :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R