Need a pistol under 500$ USD

Recon97

i believe the age for a hand gun is actually 21 isnt it?

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

Safety, reliability and ease of operation

A double action revolver is ready to fire without racking the slide, it is harder to leave one loaded as you can see the chambers clearer than an auto magazine, they are simpler to handle, and can be loaded without carrying around magazines

That said there are many pros to an automatic too

Hum, I guess. But then again you could just have always a bullet in the chamber and the pistol would be ready to fire. And it's safe as long as you have the safety on.

And if you needed to reload it's way faster to reload a pistol than a revolver even if you use a speed loader.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Shouldn't you receive firearm training prior to even looking for a gun?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

All I can say is www.cheaperthandirt.com is where I've gotten everything gun related that I ever needed. except ammo.

Shouldn't you receive firearm training prior to even looking for a gun?

It's best to get the gun first and train with it. Much of firearms use is muscle memory, so the best way to be safe about it is to train with the gun you plan to use, and the ammo you plan to use for defense.

Safety, reliability and ease of operation

A double action revolver is ready to fire without racking the slide, it is harder to leave one loaded as you can see the chambers clearer than an auto magazine, they are simpler to handle, and can be loaded without carrying around magazines

In a self defence scenario 6 shots should be enough to kill, scare off, or injure an attacker, you do not need to blast 100 rounds off

That said there are many pros to an automatic too, easier to fire, more comfortable and more accurate for novice shooters, faster reloading, quicker and easier trigger pull and less recoil as the slide will reduce vertical pull

But I guess for simplicity a revolver is still a great home defense weapon, an automatic is more of a combat weapon. Personally I would use a Colt Defender, the .45 is a great stopping round with low penetration, the gun is compact to carry and easy to conceal, also very reliable and easy to use

Absolutely 100% in agreement. Although depending on where you live you might want to add a remington 870 for the mix (we have bears out here).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why a revolver? The more bullets you have the better.

Because you shouldn't need to empty clip for self defense. A revolver is more reliable and less maintenance, which is better if you're looking to keep yourself alive instead of heating coons

Error: 410

Hum, I guess. But then again you could just have always a bullet in the chamber and the pistol would be ready to fire. And it's safe as long as you have the safety on.

And if you needed to reload it's way faster to reload a pistol than a revolver even if you use a speed loader.

that is true I expanded my post above with more if you want to read it :)

That is true, but in a situation of self defence it is hard to know if a bullet is chambered or not without time to brass check or rack the slide, a revolver with rounds in, especially a double action is ready to fire at the flick of a switch

As I said in the longer post, reloading would be more important in a combat weapon, generally 6 or 8 shots should be enough to scare off, injure or kill 99% of intruders

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because you shouldn't need to empty clip for self defense. A revolver is more reliable and less maintenance, which is better if you're looking to keep yourself alive instead of heating coons

It should be pointed out that a revolver CAN jam, however it's extremely rare, and usually requires a gunsmith to repair.

The worst thing though, is when you get one with a cylinder that is ever so slightly out of timing, meaning the whole the bullet sits in, doesn't perfectly line up with the barrel, and you get barrel strike, you will know you have this if you fire it and feel powder or some lead come back at you (wear your safety glasses). I've never been injured by it, but it does hurt a little bit, although some barrels could be worse than others. That too is extremely rare and on most guns covered by the lifetime warranty

It should also be said that most intruders would run just from hearing a 12 guage shotgun being cocked, in the dark, and their not the one holding it.

-snip

This'll scare any fuckers off 

That's not a potato gun, this is a potato gun

that is true I expanded my post above with more if you want to read it :)

That is true, but in a situation of self defence it is hard to know if a bullet is chambered or not without time to brass check or rack the slide, a revolver with rounds in, especially a double action is ready to fire at the flick of a switch

As I said in the longer post, reloading would be more important in a combat weapon, generally 6 or 8 shots should be enough to scare off, injure or kill 99% of intruders

Fair point.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

springfield xD 9 i got mine for $489 and it came with a holster, mag loader, and mag holsters. if that is too expensive the cheapest gun i can think of would be a 380 i've seen some go for under $300 also the M&P shield is around $399 if memory serves correctly

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

I really like my taurus judge ultra light with the crimson trace laser grip. it shoots either a 45 long colt cartridge or a .410 shotgun shells.

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

I wonder...how are weapon laws in the US?

Do you need a permit to even own a weapon?

Not sure if you're trolling, but yes you do.

Also, the firearms civilians are allowed to legally own are limited. In the sense that you can't get a basic gun license and then go buy an RPG/M249. Or at least as far as i am aware. You even need a license to conceal carry.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

For personal defense I would suggest a nice 20 gauge shotgun with a nice manual pump action. You know for that nice loud klack sound. It's the one sound that scares off any would be intruders.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

no you do not need to have a license to own a gun in the united states.... most states do require you to have one for carrying the weapon concealed but not if you are carrying openly. but yes there is also a license for class 3 weapons which include anything explosive, anything that fires more than 1 bullet per trigger pull, or anything that has been equipped with a silencer

no you do not need to have a license to own a gun in the united states.... most states do require you to have one for carrying the weapon concealed but not if you are carrying openly. but yes there is also a license for class 3 weapons which include anything explosive, anything that fires more than 1 bullet per trigger pull, or anything that has been equipped with a silencer

Actually it's silenced automatics, not just something with a silencer. All you need for a silencer for a pistol, which you CANNOT carry in public, ever, is a tax stamp. You can't use them for defense, they give you jail time for that.

Might as well spend more to get something better.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

Actually it's silenced automatics, not just something with a silencer. All you need for a silencer for a pistol, which you CANNOT carry in public, ever, is a tax stamp. You can't use them for defense, they give you jail time for that.

rifles, shotguns, and revolvers would also fall under the regulation

422498_01_taurus_tracker_17_hmr_640.jpg

I want a tracker so bad, 7 rounds of .357 magnum, oh yes.

Don't need one. You want one. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Not sure if you're trolling, but yes you do.

Also, the firearms civilians are allowed to legally own are limited. In the sense that you can't get a basic gun license and then go buy an RPG/M249. Or at least as far as i am aware. You even need a license to conceal carry.

Nope. It differs between the states. In the state of Texas you don't need a license or permits to purchase a semi-auto firearm. You must be 18+ to purchase a rifle/shotgun and 21+ to purchase a pistol. For conceal carry you are required to take a written exam and a shooting exam to which you will recover a license to conceal carry. short barrel rifle, full auto weapon, or true military weapons are classified as a class 3 weapon which requires a $200 tax to the nfa, approval by the government and has to be signed by the county police chief. Which can take about 16 months.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

rifles, shotguns, and revolvers would also fall under the regulation

I've always been told it's just automatic silenced weapons that fall under class 3, non automatic silenced require a tax stamp. Also you can't silence a revolver. There's only 2 revolvers I've ever heard of that are capable of being silenced, one is an old russian revolver.

Don't need one. You want one. 

Not your call for him?

Aren't you in pakistan? if i remember correctly.im pretty sure you are doing this for the bragging rights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I've always been told it's just automatic silenced weapons that fall under class 3, non automatic silenced require a tax stamp. Also you can't silence a revolver. There's only 2 revolvers I've ever heard of that are capable of being silenced, one is an old russian revolver.

nope... purchasing the silencer itself requires you to apply, pay the transfer tax(if not a class 3 dealer), pass the background check. they do this since technically the silencer only needs a  threaded barrel to work so you could just say your using it for 1 thing then use for another. so it is a blanket requirement for the silencer itself

This was for home defense, right? Just the fact that you're even considering an assault rifle as an option implies you're either retarded or you've dun goofed.

The fact you call a Civilian(Semi-Auto) AK-47 / AR 15 a assault rifle means you don't know much about guns 

p.s AR in AR 15 Means Armalite rifle 

CPU : AMD FX-6300 Black Edition | CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Case : NZXT Source 220 | GPU : Asus GTX 770 | HDD : Western Digital WD Blue 1TB | MoBo : ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 | PSU : CORSAIR RM750 | Ram : Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB