Apple loses $26 Billion after shares fall 4.2% due to recent events.

99vw
$26B gone: Gravity hits Apple at $100 a share

Following report of the latest security attack of Apple’s iCloud service over the weekend and news of a smartphone partnership between Samsung and Facebook (FB), Apple’s shares are under major pressure.

Shares of Apple Wednesday fell $4.36, or 4.2%, to $98.94. That’s the biggest dollar decline by Apple since it lost $6.19, or 8%, to $71.17 on a split-adjusted basis on Jan. 28, 2014, according to data from Yahoo Finance. Since Apple is the most valuable U.S. company, with a market value of more than $618 billion, Wednesday’s decline cost investors $26.1 billion.

Investors are worried about Apple’s continued slide behind rivals pushing in new technology. The latest iPhone is expected to add a larger screen and wireless payment technology, features that have long been offered by Samsung’s Galaxy and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Lumia lines. Apple plans to meet with the press on Sept. 9 to announce the latest updated model of its smartphone.

“Concerns over iCloud have hit at the worst possible time for Apple – a highly publicized flow that’s making the news a week before a major launch,” Colello says. Apple had “touted” its security over competing models from Samsung and is expected to unveil payment systems. The security issues about iCloud cause pause.

Some investors might think such small potential upside isn’t worth the risk of a stock that relies so much on the sales of one product, the iPhone, no matter how long the lines might be.

Read More: http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2014/09/03/22b-gone-gravity-hits-apple-at-100-a-share/

It is absolutely insane how a few incidents can make a company lose billions of dollars in the blink of an eye. It really puts into perspective just how volatile the stock market can be and just how much money can be lost. And it certainly doesn't help when your business is largely based off, what some might consider a single product.

Oh,that's why they're so desperate.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This can easily be fixed with the new iPhone and hopefully the iWatch, but Apple need to step up their game and release some must have tech in order to keep their edge

Time will tell

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The thing is most likely iCloud wasn't hacked according to a lot of stuff on 4chan..

The thing is most likely iCloud wasn't hacked according to a lot of stuff on 4chan..

It wasn't hacked.

The accounts were brute-forced cracked.

The cracker tried all the possible combinations,until one worked.

iCloud didn't have any protection against that.Like,you can't login more than 5 times in whatever minutes or something.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I guess that was somewhat a serious attack i dunno if rumors were true about who hacked or cracked it or whatever

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

That's the way the market goes.  I have a friend who worked as an accountant and bought/sold shares for her clients.  She was telling me how it only takes a hiccup in any company and her phone will run hot with people either buying into a company or selling out.  And that's just the intermediate investors who manage their own shares.  This does not surprise me and the shares will, in all likelihood, level back out again of their own accord as people calm down. Unless of course there was something else that cause d the drop that isn't quite as obvious.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, but it doesn't matter at this point, the average consumer is not going to follow up on the incident. They're likely to only remember the first headlines that read Apple iCloud hacked. Which doesn't bode well for there recent claims that IOS is more secure than android. In this case perception matters and unfortunately the damage has already been done.

Well, I'm impressed by the investors smart moves. 

I might buy stocks thought before they rise and make some money.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I knew it, I should have invested in Bitcoin.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Share prices can be stupid, they drop to the floor or shoot sky high on rumours. 

Well its mostly because of the new iPhone. Apple always dips in market just before a new iPhone, its nothing new

The drops aren't caused by the JLaw leaks, they are dropping mostly because there isn't as many people looking to buy iPhones anyway, and the launch in a couple days will likely be a flop. The iCloud exploit is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Damn, I wonder if this was the only time recently.... anyways I bet they will totally get the money back and the stocks will soar when they release the next Iphone. Considering a few posts in this sub-topic back, many people are already lining up to buy them. Like seriously It's just a phone, LOL I'll probably get the response back "IT'S NOT JUST A PHONE, IT'S LIFE". 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

The drops aren't caused by the JLaw leaks, they are dropping mostly because there isn't as many people looking to buy iPhones anyway, and the launch in a couple days will likely be a flop. The iCloud exploit is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

What makes you say the launch will be a flop?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

What makes you say the launch will be a flop?

the fact that Android and WP8 are growing rapidly.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

Modern 'hacking' is basically just guessing passwords. The problem is, and has always been, consumer misinformation. The only thing this news shows is how little the average person knows about technology.

I dislike apple, but even I have to admit that the apple launch will be a success, like all recent apple launches. Anyway, it isn't even being released till later in the month. Sincerely looking forward to the NFC and mobile payments  that will inevitably follow.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Well its mostly because of the new iPhone. Apple always dips in market just before a new iPhone, its nothing new

It's not even that, go back 2 months and the share prices was about 3% lower than they are today, ergo the drop in the last 12 hours is more a knee jerk reaction to something (most likely the pic thing), but it's still nothing major. I dare say this publisher just wanted to say something. 

the fact that Android and WP8 are growing rapidly.

Android is only growing in a different market demographic (cheap phones in developing nations) and WP market share has slowed since Q4 2013.  Apples loss of market share has been a very gradual trend.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's not even that, go back 2 months and the share prices was about 3% lower than they are today, ergo the drop in the last 12 hours is more a knee jerk reaction to something (most likely the pic thing), but it's still nothing major. I dare say this publisher just wanted to say something. 

Android is only growing in a different market demographic and WP market share has slowed since Q4 2013.  Apples loss of market share has been a very gradual trend.

I'm not into the stock market, but I know that the Android growth is just going to be a domino effect unless the iPhone 6 is better than what the rumours are saying.

I'm not into the stock market, but I know that the Android growth is just going to be a domino effect unless the iPhone 6 is better than what the rumours are saying.

Yeah, I don't know.  Humans are creatures of habit, we tend to like things a certain way,  If the iphone was going to suffer majorly at the hands of android it wouldn't have grown to the market share it has.  I can definitely see it fluctuate, maybe even as low as 10% market share, but I think it would take several colossal failures to really damage it.  Consider what happened to blackberry and the fact they are still around. 

Yeah, I don't know.  Humans are creatures of habit, we tend to like things a certain way,  If the iphone was going to suffer majorly at the hands of android it wouldn't have grown to the market share it has.  I can definitely see it fluctuate, maybe even as low as 10% market share, but I think it would take several colossal failures to really damage it.  Consider what happened to blackberry and the fact they are still around. 

You can kill it, but it will come back.

It is absolutely insane how a few incidents can make a company lose billions of dollars in the blink of an eye.

investors lost those billions, not  apple ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log