Apple loses $26 Billion after shares fall 4.2% due to recent events.

99vw

samsung shortened the stock delibratley... those fuc*ers will do anything to make apple go down even if it's for a bit...

Details separate people.

investors lost those billions, not  apple ...

Very true and that is the price of investing. But it is still going to be something that Apple will have to attend to as there will be noise from shareholders.

ITT: People don't understand how trading works. 

Trading isn't based off facts, its based off emotion. Those investment bankers who have more money than makes sense after a weeks worth of trades? They don't trade based off facts. They exploit human emotion (and the instability that comes with it) to earn money. 

People knee jerk all the time in the stock market over the dumbest crap, this is no different. Apple might have lost money, I bet you anything someone MADE money off this too. Its how it works. 

I'm sorry if I am shitting on your "DAE APPLE IS DYING WHOOHOOO" fantasies, but this is business as usual for a Fortune 500 company. A top 5 Fortune 500 company. A electronics company that shares its place with Chevron, Walmart, Exxon and Berkshire Hathaway. I think Apple will be just fine. 

Read More: http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2014/09/03/22b-gone-gravity-hits-apple-at-100-a-share/

It is absolutely insane how a few incidents can make a company lose billions of dollars in the blink of an eye. It really puts into perspective just how volatile the stock market can be and just how much money can be lost. And it certainly doesn't help when your business is largely based off, what some might consider a single product.

I see you left out what might be one of the more important take aways from the article.

The fact that Apple's stocks are still at an all time high, and up well over 20% for the year.

While this is a little hick up, they're still a very, very strong company.

This can easily be fixed with the new iPhone and hopefully the iWatch, but Apple need to step up their game and release some must have tech in order to keep their edge

Time will tell

I think any new tech will draw people to purchase. Especially with Apple...they seem to be able to stick their name on anything.

Still love that Mad sketch... the iRack. "Nooo, the iRack looks too unstable!"

Android is only growing in a different market demographic (cheap phones in developing nations) and WP market share has slowed since Q4 2013.  Apples loss of market share has been a very gradual trend.

Apple actually lost a huge portion of market share over the last quarter in the US, lose to 10% by some estimates.

I'm sure the new phone will gain back a lot of waning Apple fans, however only time will tell.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

People are already queing...this is the earliest people have ever queued up for the phone

Apparently the record for waiting outside a store is 18 days, and these 2 guys are trying to break it ><

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/people-are-already-queuing-up-for-the-iphone-6

Look I love the iPhone..seriously its like my favourite gadget ever (and I have had a lot)....but I would never even bother queuing up early.... I am not even going to get one on launch day, just going to wait until my contract ends and get an upgrade, like a normal person

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

investors lost those billions, not apple ...

Wrong. If you sell a share at less than market price the company pays you the difference. Short-selling a company can run it dry, which is another reason the big 2007 crash was so catastrophic.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Wrong. If you sell a share at less than market price the company pays you the difference. Short-selling a company can run it dry, which is another reason the big 2007 crash was so catastrophic.

WHAT :D

Let's elaborate that for me. When do you think Apple would have to pay any difference?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

WHAT :D

Let's elaborate that for me. When do you think Apple would have to pay any difference?

Perhaps it's unique to investment banks (though I doubt it), but I'm pretty sure any company on the NYSE must pay to its shareholders the difference between market value and the selling price of the share block. It's a way of punishing companies who lose investor faith. If that wasn't the case short-selling wouldn't bankrupt companies the way it has in the past. Is there more to this mechanism someone here knows about? I've only got rudimentary knowledge of the workings of Capital gains and securities laws.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

the difference between market value and the selling price of the share block.

The market value dropped by 4.2%

What do you think "the selling price" is in that case ?!

Apple did not lose $26bn, per se... That amount may have simply been wiped off its market capitalisation.

Big difference.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Apple did not lose $26bn, per se... That amount may have simply been wiped off its market capitalisation.

Big difference.

I just double-checked. You're mostly right. In reality Apple lost all of 3.7 billion give or take.

The market value dropped by 4.2%

What do you think "the selling price" is in that case ?!

Whatever an individual sells a share for. Market price is the price considered by Nasdaq/NYSE.

People fail to realize that iCloud wasn't hacked. iCloud doesn't store video's or anything from an Android device. If you feel like looking at the photos, you can tell that there are more than just iPhones there. Pure ludicrous.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I just double-checked. You're mostly right. In reality Apple lost all of 3.7 billion give or take.

Whatever an individual sells a share for. Market price is the price considered by Nasdaq/NYSE.

If you take their market capitalisation and divide it by the current share price, you will find that there are around 6bn shares in circulation.  The share price slumped from 103.30 (Sept 3rd, 16:00) to 98.98 (Sept 4th, 16:00), so the $26bn does sound about right.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

If you take their market capitalisation and divide it by the current share price, you will find that there are around 6bn shares in circulation.  The share price slumped from 103.30 (Sept 3rd, 16:00) to 98.98 (Sept 4th, 16:00), so the $26bn does sound about right.

Yes, the total value of share price loss would be $26B, but that is not a loss per se to apple, it would be more accurate to describe it as a financial resource it no longer has access to. 

People need to remember that it wasn't long ago that apples shares increased by almost 38% in april, so as I said before, this 4.2% drop is a mere hiccup.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

how to you come to that number?

and you know how the market price is determined ?!

My turn.

Oh,that's why they're so desperate.

So informative. And it got two likes as well! The things that likes get you on the forums these days...

It wasn't hacked.

The accounts were brute-forced cracked.

The cracker tried all the possible combinations,until one worked.

iCloud didn't have any protection against that.Like,you can't login more than 5 times in whatever minutes or something.

No, highly unlikely that it was brute forced. You can read Nik Cubrilovic's article on the subject here: https://www.nikcub.com/posts/notes-on-the-celebrity-data-theft/

Much more likely to be social engineering.

the fact that Android and WP8 are growing rapidly.

Android's growing a lot in emerging markets. The massive market share it has is mostly cheap phones that barely run Android, not flagship Samsung or HTC devices.

I'm not into the stock market, but I know that the Android growth is just going to be a domino effect unless the iPhone 6 is better than what the rumours are saying.

It's always been better than what the rumors have said. Always. There's always at least a handful if not a large cache of amazing features, (often in software or deep inside chips like 64-bit) that nobody figures out.

Also this is frankly no surprise. When their stock started climbing so rapidly it was pretty clearly a pump n' dump. No other explanation. Apple is constantly a victim of market manipulation because they are the largest company in the world.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes, the total value of share price loss would be $26B, but that is not a loss per se to apple, it would be more accurate to describe it as a financial resource it no longer has access to. 

People need to remember that it wasn't long ago that apples shares increased by almost 38% in april, so as I said before, this 4.2% drop is a mere hiccup.

To be honest, its financial resources are not affected that much either.  The $26bn went no where.  All it means is that if Apple was put on for sale right now, it would get $26bn less than what it would have got yesterday.  These prices only affect the secondary market, as long as Apple is not issuing new shares.  Therefore the price change does not directly affect Apple monetarily, though they still have their shareholders to answer to.

Also this is frankly no surprise. When their stock started climbing so rapidly it was pretty clearly a pump n' dump. No other explanation. Apple is constantly a victim of market manipulation because they are the largest company in the world.

Apple is the most valuable, not the largest.  A company's size is normally measured by its revenue.

Apple shares surged 38% since the company’s quarterly report in late April, when results surpassed expectations and the company unveiled a 7-for-1 stock split.

Investors went into a frenzy.   There has been no real dump as the prices has only edged down slowly. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To be honest, its financial resources are not affected that much either.  The $26bn went no where.  All it means is that if Apple was put on for sale right now, it would get $26bn less than what it would have got yesterday.  These prices only affect the secondary market, as long as Apple is not issuing new shares.  Therefore the price change does not directly affect Apple monetarily, though they still have their shareholders to answer to.

Shares are a companies resource.

lol .. no ... thats not how shares work :D

Shares are a companies resource.

nope ... assets are ;)

The market cap of AAPL is more than twice as high as it total assets.

My turn.

So informative. And it got two likes as well! The things that likes get you on the forums these days...

No, highly unlikely that it was brute forced. You can read Nik Cubrilovic's article on the subject here: https://www.nikcub.com/posts/notes-on-the-celebrity-data-theft/

Much more likely to be social engineering.

Android's growing a lot in emerging markets. The massive market share it has is mostly cheap phones that barely run Android, not flagship Samsung or HTC devices.

It's always been better than what the rumors have said. Always. There's always at least a handful if not a large cache of amazing features, (often in software or deep inside chips like 64-bit) that nobody figures out.

Sometimes I feel sad for people like you...the blackhole just keeps growin' and growin'

Yeah...features in iOS.Most features being already present in Android.

"deep inside chips like 64-bit".Apple didn't invent the first 64 bit chip for phones!Jeez.ARM V8 was released way back in 2011.And how does a feature already present in a current generation phone make you want to buy the next one?And what the hell does 64-bit have to do with "great features"?It barely helps at all!I mean...we don't get more than 4GB-s of RAM for phones,and I can't say that there's a major difference over 32bit.Sure,it's always better,at least for the future.But is buying just for 64-bit worth it,when there are no apparent benefits?Nah.

Oh...and Apple aren't even close to being the largest company in the world.

What have they put in your brain?

You feeling OK buddy?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.