DDR4 3000MHz CL15 from Gskill and its cheaper than DDR3

LukaP

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/memory/gskill_ripjaws_iv_3000mhz_ddr4_memory/1

20103713411l.JPG

The Ripjaws IV is only 1.35v so temperatures should be lower than the high end DDR3 kits of this speed which were mostly pushing 1.65v. This also should mean there's less strain on memory controllers in the processors for DDR4 systems.

As far as pricing goes, this 16GB kit comes in at £380, and while we understand you may think that's high, the 3000MHz kits of DDR3 are around £320 for just 8GB. However, since DDR4 is to be a whole new standard, we're confident all these prices will fall considerably when there's more competition in the market, and when X99 has been fully released.

i really hope this means that DDR4 really wont be as expensive as predicted...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Too bad that CAS is a little too high.

its a new technology, and if my brain isnt fucking me, thats very near 1600Mhz CL9

i dont see how everyone expects DDR4 to magically be 3000MHz CL8 or something... that has never happened. if you look at DDR2 to DDR3, we got CL rise at first that gave comparable performance, but more bandwith

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I bet this would really boost GPU performance on an APU, kinda wanna see benchmarks lol.

that would be really interesting actually

its a new technology, and if my brain isnt fucking me, thats very near 1600Mhz CL9

Your brain fucks you? (you just wish your brain was Emma Blackery) 

Can you explain how DDR4 latency compares to DDR3? I have on idea lol

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can get 3000MHz memory with a 12 CAS right now. Only thing DDR4 has going for it right now is higher densities.

We Have 2400 and 2666 DDR4 kits being sold RIGHT NOW with CL 15! On 3000 at least that's remotely acceptable for a brand new tech.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

that would be really interesting actually

Your brain fucks you? (you just wish your brain was Emma Blackery) 

Can you explain how DDR4 latency compares to DDR3? I have on idea lol

each CL is one cycle, with higher frequency, it gets shorter and shorter, but you have more and more cycles to wait. basically 2x frequency needs 2x cl for same performance. (and if you get the CL lower than 2x, the ram performs better all the time)

so 1600 means one cycle is 6.25ns, which makes CL9 be 56.25ns

3000 one cycle is 3.33ns, cl15 is then 50ns.

so this is better than DDR3 1600MHz CL9, its basically the same as CL8, apart from bandwith hungry scenarios (APUs)

You can get 3000MHz memory with a 12 CAS right now. Only thing DDR4 has going for it right now is higher densities.

its a new technology. it was the same with ddr3...

"Cheaper than DDR3"

You are matching it with a DDR3 kit that goes up to 3000Mhz, of cource DDR3 can be more expensive if it is matching the speed of DDR4.

I want a 16Gb kit for ~90€ (I don't care about speed or CAS, I just want to get on the platform)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

We Have 2400 and 2666 DDR4 kits being sold RIGHT NOW with CL 15! On 3000 at least that's remotely acceptable for a brand new tech.

Again, we have DDR3 kits that are the same speed and lower CAS RIGHT NOW. The only thing DDR4 has going for it is higher densities.

I just wish I could run it in my z97 board *one single tear*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Cheaper than DDR3"

You are matching it with a DDR3 kit that goes up to 3000Mhz, of cource DDR3 can be more expensive if it is matching the speed of DDR4.

I want a 16Gb kit for ~90€ (I don't care about speed or CAS, I just want to get on the platform)

sensationalist title ;) the DRAM chips are probably similar, if not the same anyway, its just they are connected to a different interface

Again, we have DDR3 kits that are the same speed and lower CAS RIGHT NOW. The only thing DDR4 has going for it is higher densities.

again youre complaining a technology isnt as mature in its infancy as it is in its 7th? year of mainstream... -.-

sensationalist title ;) the DRAM chips are probably similar, if not the same anyway, its just they are connected to a different interface

again youre complaining a technology isnt as mature in its infancy as it is in its 7th? year of mainstream... -.-

*smacks table*

I want shit to work well the first time, is that too much to complain about? :P

*smacks table*

I want shit to work well the first time, is that too much to complain about? :P

yes it is :P and the other thing is, this is more likely to not kill the IMC than DDR3 3GHz was, since the IMC is rated at 2133. or is it 2400 i cant remember atm

yes it is :P and the other thing is, this is more likely to not kill the IMC than DDR3 3GHz was, since the IMC is rated at 2133. or is it 2400 i cant remember atm

And that's why we should overbuild everything..

Higher bandwidth (extra 48 pins), higher upper ceiling of speeds, and yes densities.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

tell that to "we need to maximise profits while delivering a good enough experience" intel... :P better imc, less profits at same price

That's not a good business model usually. Slows down turnover. I realize it sucks for consumers, but few businessmen get away with overbuilding (unless you're Audi and VW despite their numerous electrical problems.

This ram kit looks better then Corsairs current DDR4 dimms an is cheaper and faster?

Yay. G.skill sir, I respect you

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

yes and those are incredibly shitty kits. 

"Cheaper than DDR3"

More like DDR4 is trying to match DDR3 speeds, not the other way around. This is to be expected, though. DDR3 was junk compared to the high end DDR2 of the time at launch. Give it another 2 years before we really see DDR4 destroy DDR3.

PS: I'm not expecting a DDR4 16GB kit of any sort being 90 euro anytime soon, that's about what I spent for my 16GB kit in USD (around 120) a year ago.

More like DDR4 is trying to match DDR3 speeds, not the other way around. This is to be expected, though. DDR3 was junk compared to the high end DDR2 of the time at launch. Give it another 2 years before we really see DDR4 destroy DDR3.

PS: I'm not expecting a DDR4 16GB kit of any sort being 90 euro anytime soon, that's about what I spent for my 16GB kit in USD (around 120) a year ago.

That's not quite correct. The 3000 MHz CL 15 kit is about as good as DDR3 2666 was, and there's a much higher bandwidth on it. As long as the calls for data are larger than 8 bytes, DDR4 is more "speedy" by having more throughput despite a higher instantaneous latency.

I like how all the new tech is actually getting cheaper. Makes me feel like waiting longer to upgrade my system. maybe the 980/990 will only be like 400$? If so that would be awesome!

I like how all the new tech is actually getting cheaper. Makes me feel like waiting longer to upgrade my system. maybe the 980/990 will only be like 400$? If so that would be awesome!

technology will always be cheaper as it advances, but once it reaches its low threshold, it will be obsolete like DDR2 is so cheap yet no one care any more.

I remember I spent $200 for a SSD for only 40GB just to have it replaces for 120GB for $150 a year or 2 later

Sure, but will it actually have any noticeable impact on the gaming end result?