iPhone 6 to feature (only) 1 GB of RAM?

T4cC0re

When you jailbreak it and install some necessities. That's at least how i got my 3GS to it's knees.

well I am aware of that, I just didn't feel the need to install a jailbreak since I had my 4S and iOS 6, nor did I ever had the felling, that my iPhone would have to little RAM.

Before reading that thread, I didn't even know how much RAM my 5S has, nor do I know how fast the CPU in my iPhone is.

I honestly don't really care either, as it feels really snappy and I am happy.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

You have an iPhone? How do you 'notice' that 1GB isn't enough?

Yes, iOS memory allocation works in a way that using virtual memory is very seamless. This is their philosophy behind not having more DDR3L . They use the flash storage instead if really needed. Also, android is a memory hog compared to iOS.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I notice the limitations of 1GB RAM on my phone a bit too often - I feel 2GB min is a must in today's world

I have 512MB of RAM on my phone and I don't notice any limitations. But then again I'm not using Android or iOS. ;)

I do agree though, any flagship phones coming out in 2014/2015 should have 2 GB minimum. If you provide the resources, developers will find ways to make use of them.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Before reading that thread, I didn't even know how much RAM my 5S has, nor do I know how fast the CPU in my iPhone is.

Very true. many people don't get that.

It's just that apple still doesn't allow much to be done with an iPhone and as soon as your force it, you will encounter some serious performance issues. That's why i moved to android, but i do miss a lot of stuff from the iPhone even today. :D

who cares...

well I am aware of that, I just didn't feel the need to install a jailbreak since I had my 4S and iOS 6, nor did I ever had the felling, that my iPhone would have to little RAM.

Still using my 4S today and it still has 512MB and it still works very well so that I won't get a new phone this generation.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Honestly... 1GB is sufficient. iOS is so optimised it could run on literally nothing and still be fast

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The only people who seem to care about specs this much are nerds on the internet. 

If you didn't tell anyone, most people wouldn't know what the "numbers" on their phones were. If it works, feels snappy and doesn't lag, who cares? 

And guess what? iOS devices seem to handle resource management a hell of a lot better than Android ones. So theres that. Maybe 1GB is all they need because the damn thing is so efficient with management. 

I said My phone, not iphone - I have a Moto G

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

people wont notice a difference with the 1gb ram but it will really limit developers so the reason people dont notice it is because devs have to water down their software. no wonder there are tons of relatively demanding mobile games that only come out for android rather than iphone

That's a diagram of a 1GB chip... where does it say on the diagram that it means there's only going to be one of them?

Okay, we appear to have gotten of to a bad start. I'm not trying to start a debate mate. ;)

BTW, I'm not trolling this forum. Why would I? I get annoyed at people trolling, so why would I do it myself? That would make me a hypocrite and I'm definitely not one of those. ;)

lol!!!!!!!!!!! so you dont have a good reason :)

Its all looks these days

That's a diagram of a 1GB chip... where does it say on the diagram that it means there's only going to be one of them?

Someone understands my previous comment!

Technically speaking Apple could use 2x 1Gb modules for a dual channel memory configuration.

I don't know of any phones that use more than single channel memory controllers, but maybe this could be an added feature due to the transition from 32 bit ARM to 64 bit architecture.

If Apple manages to pull that off, they would have a ton of memory bandwidth available. Which is something that hasn't been done yet on such a small scale.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Isn't that just a schematic of module used. So maybe Apple is using 1Gb modules, this doesn't imply that the upcoming iPhone will only have 1Gb of memory. The memory limit would be limited by the memory controller.

Correct. MacRumors issued an official update to the previous posting on the subject anyways.

When you jailbreak it and install some necessities. That's at least how i got my 3GS to it's knees.

So by hacking your boot loader and voiding your warranty you managed to break your iPhone? No shit.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Every recent iPhone has only had 1GB of RAM. Even my iPad Air has 1GB of RAM. iOS is optimised much more than Android because there are less than 10 different devices devices running iOS 7, whereas there are hundreds, maybe even a thousand running Android. Therefore Android is much less optimised, so the phones need more powerful quad cores processors at 2GHz+ and iPhones and iPads only need dual cores running at around 1GHz.

Stop complaining about only 1GB of RAM, iPhones simply don't need more. Plus this is only a rumour, so it may have 2GB, but it really doesn't need it.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

lets be honest here, why would you need more than 1gb of ram on something that's only ever used for selfies, instagram and facebook? (and I guess itunes)

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Someone understands my previous comment!

Technically speaking Apple could use 2x 1Gb modules for a dual channel memory configuration.

I don't know of any phones that use more than single channel memory controllers, but maybe this could be an added feature due to the transition from 32 bit ARM to 64 bit architecture.

If Apple manages to pull that off, they would have a ton of memory bandwidth available. Which is something that hasn't been done yet on such a small scale.

It would be pretty fantastic... and it's the sort of thing Apple would do.

Sounds about right, I have no problem with this, 1GB is enough

Is it really? I don't know much about Iphone users but I frequently go over 1GB of ram usage on my android, just because i leave so many apps open at the same time

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Is it really? I don't know much about Iphone users but I frequently go over 1GB of ram usage on my android, just because i leave so many apps open at the same time

Yeah, I know the feels, my Sony Xperia S does that even though it has really effective multitasking.

But yeah, iPhone apps use significantly less ram than Android Apps

Compatible with Windows 95

the 1GB of RAM apple thing is taking its toll on me... Especially when running a lot of mobile substrate extensions...

but thats me, for the casual iphone user who doesnt do these things i think 1 GB is enough...

just wish they would add just one more GB!!! thats all i ask.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

If this is true I still think 1gb may be fine for right now but probably won't be for its 9 or 10. So 2gb is the way to go IMHO.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Every recent iPhone has only had 1GB of RAM. Even my iPad Air has 1GB of RAM. iOS is optimised much more than Android because there are less than 10 different devices devices running iOS 7, whereas there are hundreds, maybe even a thousand running Android. Therefore Android is much less optimised, so the phones need more powerful quad cores processors at 2GHz+ and iPhones and iPads only need dual cores running at around 1GHz.

Stop complaining about only 1GB of RAM, iPhones simply don't need more. Plus this is only a rumour, so it may have 2GB, but it really doesn't need it.

See, I never really bought the argument that iOS is super optimised. I understand that it's likely to be optimised for each specific device, but that only helps so much.

Also consider how well optimised Android is becoming; it can use just 512MB with KitKat, and there's quite a bit of performance tweaks with L. The reason why people with 3GB Android phones see their device using all that RAM is, as far as I am aware, because Android believes unused RAM is wasted RAM, and it fills it up so that everything is snappy.

I just think the reason iPhones can keep up with Android devices is because they are genuinely pretty powerful. Not due to magically efficient software but simply powerful hardware despite the lowered clock speed and cores.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Not true by an Apple official.

Continue to the next rumour.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

"It's not the size but how you use it" ;)

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

If you use chrome or safari on a phone with not enough RAM to hold all the tabs, Either it will refresh the page when you switch back or it Wil cache it which makes switching very slow. It's very very noticeable.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

lol!!!!!!!!!!! so you dont have a good reason :)

Okay, if I'm to be 100% honest I would love at least 2GB on the iPhone 6 but it would make more sense to have at least 2GB on my iPad. What phone do you have, does it have than 1GB of RAM?

But you want a reason. Okay I'll give you a reason. When doing everyday tasks on my iPhone it can become a little slow. An extra 1GB would help me be able to have more tabs open and apps open and it would also help decrease the frequency of app crashes because of insufficient RAM. It can get rather frustrating if you've typed something up and the app you're using crashes on you. More RAM would help with this.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator