iPhone 6 to feature (only) 1 GB of RAM?

T4cC0re

iOS usually runs only the app in the foreground and is very aggressive about what processes can run in the background. Apps that download large files, play music, or interact with Bluetooth devices (think Pebble) are the only ones that can run in the background as far as I know. And once that action stops the app is killed immediately.

Sorry if someone else already said this but I didn't read the whole thread.

iOS usually runs only the app in the foreground and is very aggressive about what processes can run in the background. Apps that download large files, play music, or interact with Bluetooth devices (think Pebble) are the only ones that can run in the background as far as I know. And once that action stops the app is killed immediately.

Sorry if someone else already said this but I didn't read the whole thread.

That's correct.

Cocoa Touch is integrated very carefully though to the point where you can barely tell the difference switching between apps anyways. There's a setting for it called "Background App Refresh" that allows you to specify how quickly they're allowed to update. A lot of people turn it off completely to save battery, but it messes with your notifications.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

iphone-6-1gb-ram.jpg

My 2 cents: 

Considering, that the 5s also comes with 1GB and given, that this rumor is true, i can only see a improvement of the TouchID, inclusion of NFC and a possibly better Display as well as the A8-Chip to be a reason to step up to the new 6-Model.

If however the A8 is not making up for this possible lack of RAM, we might see some issues regarding performance, if the higher display-resolution (rumored to be quad-HD/2K) is a thing, because the memory will most likely be shared between CPU and GPU within the A8-chip.

Just an FYI, Quad-HD and 2K are completely different things. 2K would be 1080p (1920 [basically 2000] x 1080). Quad-HD would be 2.5K (2560 x 1440).

Now as for whether this will impact performance? I honestly have no idea. My 4 year old phone has 512MB of RAM, and I haven't extensively used a modern flagship phone, so I honestly could not tell you if 2+ GB of RAM on a smartphone is wasted or not.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Taking full advantage of that 64-bit processor.

First of all, it's not even confirmed that this is how much RAM it will have.

Second of all, memory bandwidth is not the biggest performance improvement afforded by 64-bit architectures.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

First of all, it's not even confirmed that this is how much RAM it will have.

Second of all, memory bandwidth is not the biggest performance improvement afforded by 64-bit architectures.

It was a joke. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Taking full advantage of that 64-bit processor.

64-bit computing has additional benefits besides simply being able to address more than 3GB of RAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#Pros_and_cons

Some 64-bit programs, such as encoders, decoders and encryption software, can benefit greatly from 64-bit registers, while the performance of other programs, such as 3D graphics-oriented ones, remains unaffected when switching from a 32-bit to a 64-bit environment.

So especially decoders, would be incredibly useful on a phone, for when you're playing back media files (especially high bitrate HD/UHD movie files), and it could take advantage of the encoders too by allowing better video recording from the camera.

People get hung up on the 4GB+ RAM thing because it's simply the most obvious and visible example of a benefit for 64-bit computing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i wonder why apple always makes higher resolution displays when the old ones were "retina" too.

Directly on topic: 1gb ram, lel. ALTHOUGH i think that Apps and everything are WAY better optimized for iOS so it might not even be a problem.

Plants vs Zombies 2 is too much for my 4S to handle. Slows down to a crawl during big waves. My iPad mini does too.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Just an FYI, Quad-HD and 2K are completely different things. 2K would be 1080p (1920 [basically 2000] x 1080). Quad-HD would be 2.5K (2560 x 1440).

Now as for whether this will impact performance? I honestly have no idea. My 4 year old phone has 512MB of RAM, and I haven't extensively used a modern flagship phone, so I honestly could not tell you if 2+ GB of RAM on a smartphone is wasted or not.

1. One Res. for the bigger one one for the smaller one, because it's rumored, that there are 2 sizes, hence the two resolutions.

2. Because, if the RAM is used as framebuffer, a higher resulution means more memory usage.

Also it makes a huge difference between iOS and Androids memory-management. Because in iOS everything runs in a Sandbox, this Sandbox sets the Limitation for the App. This is why some apps (like Chrome) perform very poorly if unoptimized. This is the security-concept of iOS. And multitasking on iOS is mostly done by preserving only the latest app in memory and dump the other processes to disk until next use. This is how it has a lower memory-footprint than Android, because android does the contrairy.

I personally would like to see > 2GB, but since (afaik) the A7 had the RAM on-die, it is unlikely that (if this schematic is legit) they will embed more than one memorybank into the chip and waste space.

Personal rig: Silverstone SG13 Case | AMD Ryzen 1700 | Biostar X370GTN |  EVGA GTX1080 Superclocked w/ FTW BIOS  | 450W SFX PSU | 16GB GSKILL DDR4-2666 | Roccat Ryus MK Pro Keyboard & Roccat Kone XTD Mouse | Samsung 850Pro NVMe PCIe SSD 256GB

Working Laptop: Thinkpad T460p with Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | Intel HD 530 | GeForce 940MX | 256 GB Crucial M500 SSD 

hey everyone lets spend 3 pages discussing the specs of a phone that isnt released :P

No but really I am SURE apple know what they are doing with the iPhone hardware whether it has 1gb or 2 million gb of ram

The iPhone has consistently been one of the more powerful smartphones on the market on every release. There is no reason to assume otherwise, if they feel that 1gb runs all applications at 100% speed then why would they need more?

That said I am sure if it NEEDS more they will have built it that way

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i wonder why apple always makes higher resolution displays when the old ones were "retina" too.

Directly on topic: 1gb ram, lel. ALTHOUGH i think that Apps and everything are WAY better optimized for iOS so it might not even be a problem.

0/10 troll. "Retina" refers to pixel density, not a set resolution.

0/10 troll. "Retina" refers to pixel density, not a set resolution.

yeah, because Apple will now suddenly make way bigger displays which then equal out the pixel density to the old retina again...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

yeah, because Apple will now suddenly make way bigger displays which then equal out the pixel density to the old retina again...

Right, so wtf does, 'i wonder why apple always makes higher resolution displays when the old ones were "retina" too.', mean?

Right, so wtf does, 'i wonder why apple always makes higher resolution displays when the old ones were "retina" too.', mean?

it means that Apple always proudly says something is retina (where you can't see pixels anymore, wooo) and then makes higher Pixel Density (only for you) screens which from their logic wouldnt make any sense.

Their 1136x640 display probably looks pretty bad compared to others 2560x1440 displays.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Their 1136x640 display probably looks pretty bad compared to others 2560x1440 displays.

Do you haven't used it and you say it "probably" looks bad?

Jesus Christ. @mr moose was this the lack of critical thinking you were referring to?

it means that Apple always proudly says something is retina (where you can't see pixels anymore, wooo) and then makes higher Pixel Density (only for you) screens which from their logic wouldnt make any sense.

I don't think you know what "pixel density" means. If you increase screen size without increasing resolution, density decreases.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that 2560x1440 on a phone is freaking stupid.

In addition to what other people are grilling you on, there is much more to a display than resolution alone. I have not found any other phone with a screen that I like more than my 5S's, and that's a mixture of color reproduction, brightness, resolution, contrast etc. 

1GB of ram is completely fine, never experienced limitations on my iPhone 5S and I formerly used the Galaxy S4 w/ 2GB. If you are wondering why I switched, it's because the panel of my galaxy broke while inside my pocket and then with my replacement the glass cracked while sitting on a towel at the beach. Then I finally went back to the iPhone and couldn't be happier. A phone doesn't need to be complicated.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Sounds about right, I have no problem with this, 1GB is enough

Mine has 3GB, I still wish it had more.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Mine has 3GB, I still wish it had more.

You're running on Android. iOS is far more efficient with memory usage.

Furthermore, not only does the iPhone 6 NOT EXIST YET, this schematic has been widely misinterpreted. It's just showing a 1GB module, nowhere does it say it's the only 1GB module on the package.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You don't have an iphone. I remember being on android and needing all that ram. It's different on ios.

The difference in the way that "multitasking" is done on iOS vs Android is most likely the biggest reason for that difference. AFAIK, iOS isn't "real" multitasking.

iPhone-5-meme-3.jpg\

Edit: Found that on google image search, wasn't actually on 9gag

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs