iPhone 6 to feature (only) 1 GB of RAM?

T4cC0re

iphone-6-1gb-ram.jpg

The schematics you see above have been recently shared via Weibo by the guys over at GeekBar, and assuming that the image is legit, the iPhone 6 will most probably feature only 1 GB of RAM.

In a world where flagship Android smartphones come with at least 2 GB of RAM, the iPhone 6 doesn’t sound powerful enough to compete with the most sought-after devices from the opposite camp. Nevertheless, Apple is a wizard when it comes to optimization and iOS has always been capable of successfully handling the same tasks as Android, while requiring fewer resources.

On the other hand, 1 GB of RAM still sounds a bit low by today’s standards, especially since iOS 8 will allow developers to create much more powerful applications.

We should also note that, in the past, GeekBar has been an active source as far as leaking pics depicting internal Apple hardware components, indicating that the source might have strong connections within Apple’s supply chain. Evidently, we can’t confirm whether the iPhone 6 will feature only 1 GB of RAM or more. [...]

My 2 cents: 

Considering, that the 5s also comes with 1GB and given, that this rumor is true, i can only see a improvement of the TouchID, inclusion of NFC and a possibly better Display as well as the A8-Chip to be a reason to step up to the new 6-Model.

If however the A8 is not making up for this possible lack of RAM, we might see some issues regarding performance, if the higher display-resolution (rumored to be quad-HD/2K) is a thing, because the memory will most likely be shared between CPU and GPU within the A8-chip.

Personal rig: Silverstone SG13 Case | AMD Ryzen 1700 | Biostar X370GTN |  EVGA GTX1080 Superclocked w/ FTW BIOS  | 450W SFX PSU | 16GB GSKILL DDR4-2666 | Roccat Ryus MK Pro Keyboard & Roccat Kone XTD Mouse | Samsung 850Pro NVMe PCIe SSD 256GB

Working Laptop: Thinkpad T460p with Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | Intel HD 530 | GeForce 940MX | 256 GB Crucial M500 SSD 

i wonder why apple always makes higher resolution displays when the old ones were "retina" too.

Directly on topic: 1gb ram, lel. ALTHOUGH i think that Apps and everything are WAY better optimized for iOS so it might not even be a problem.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Sounds about right, I have no problem with this, 1GB is enough

Compatible with Windows 95

I notice the limitations of 1GB RAM on my phone a bit too often - I feel 2GB min is a must in today's world

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Isn't that just a schematic of module used. So maybe Apple is using 1Gb modules, this doesn't imply that the upcoming iPhone will only have 1Gb of memory. The memory limit would be limited by the memory controller.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yeah, I think iOS is so well optimised that 1MB (no, that's not a typo, I really mean 1 megabyte) of RAM would be all we need.......who am I kidding, of course we need more the 1GB of flammin' RAM. Come on Apple, at least give us 2GB of RAM. You may think that we don't need more than 1GB of RAM but boy are you ever so WRONG!.

Okay. Rant over. :D

But 2GB would be much preferable. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I notice the limitations of 1GB RAM on my phone a bit too often - I feel 2GB min is a must in today's world

You have an iPhone? How do you 'notice' that 1GB isn't enough?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Iphones dont need 2gb lol

Its all looks these days

Isn't that just a schematic of module used. So maybe Apple is using 1Gb modules, this doesn't imply that the upcoming iPhone will only have 1Gb of memory. The memory limit would be limited by the memory controller.

I jolly well hope so.

I have a 5S and have never found the 1gb of ram to be a problem at all. I had a Note 2 prior and found apps reloading on that more frequently than on my 5S. Certainly not a scientific comparison but from my real world use I haven't been held back by the 1gb of ram at all. 

Yea, iPhones really dont need more then 1GB of ram, thanks for iOS 7's efficinatness or w/e

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Directly on topic: 1gb ram, lel. ALTHOUGH i think that Apps and everything are WAY better optimized for iOS so it might not even be a problem.

I totally agree on that! But i see the problem in cojunction with the increased resolution of the Display, not because the OS needs more.

Personal rig: Silverstone SG13 Case | AMD Ryzen 1700 | Biostar X370GTN |  EVGA GTX1080 Superclocked w/ FTW BIOS  | 450W SFX PSU | 16GB GSKILL DDR4-2666 | Roccat Ryus MK Pro Keyboard & Roccat Kone XTD Mouse | Samsung 850Pro NVMe PCIe SSD 256GB

Working Laptop: Thinkpad T460p with Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | Intel HD 530 | GeForce 940MX | 256 GB Crucial M500 SSD 

iPhones dont need 2GB lol

Yeah, you're right, they need 4GB. :D

You have an iPhone? How do you 'notice' that 1GB isn't enough?

When you jailbreak it and install some necessities. That's at least how i got my 3GS to it's knees.

who cares...

Yeah, you're right, they need 4GB. :D

the hell???? What so you can play flappy bird at 60 frames??? What on earth does an iphone need ram for???

Its all looks these days

Yea, iPhones really dont need more then 1GB of ram, thanks for iOS 7's efficinatness or w/e

Is that even a word? :rolleyes:

I think you meant "efficiency". ;)

Is that even a word? :rolleyes:

I think you meant "efficiency". ;)

Probably not lol

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

the hell???? What so you can play flappy bird at 60 frames??? What on earth does an iphone need ram for???

Do you think that iPhone owners just play flappy bird (if that's even the name)?

Kitkat can technically work on only 512mb of ram so it's not that surprising: They could be just doing things in a very effective way. Or they could have just said "Multi tasking? Yeah fuck that, you get 1gb sir"

Either way.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Probably not lol

Not trying to be mean, just pointing that out. :)

Do you think that iPhone owners just play flappy bird (if that's even the name)?

What do you do on iphones that you need ram for??? And if you dont have a good reason you can stop trolling this forum

Its all looks these days

Not trying to be mean, just pointing that out. :)

I know, its fine. 

I know, its fine.

Cool! :D

What do you do on iphones that you need ram for??? And if you dont have a good reason you can stop trolling this forum

Okay, we appear to have gotten of to a bad start. I'm not trying to start a debate mate. ;)

BTW, I'm not trolling this forum. Why would I? I get annoyed at people trolling, so why would I do it myself? That would make me a hypocrite and I'm definitely not one of those. ;)