In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Some Parts Of Windows 7 Support

Dietrichw

I don't really get the huge complaints about them removing support to general consumers first .  Old OS's get old and like any good dealer MS need new product to generate more sales.  Most companies in my industry have finally just gotten around to deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010, nonono no 2013 yet.  Besides the security updates are provided to general users until support expires, after which *shock* the OS still works, you're just making yourself vulnerable by using some ancient less efficient and less secure OS.

Businesses tend to buy a lot more licenses in volume and continue to buy more and more licenses as each year goes by throughout almost the entirety of the product's life cycle, save for the first couple of years because the OS is untested and still unsecure - can't really say the same for a standard user who takes whatever OS comes with the kit they've just bought or is choosing to upgrade for better performance.

Seriously everyone who wants MS to stop making OS's because 7 is so perfect will be the first to cry when someone breaks through the inevitable security holes due to janky older code.

We got the same from naysayers in the office that believed XP and Office 2003 is absolutely fine and moving to 7 was a terrible idea.  It turns out, those people are morons.

Guys, you're overreacting! That date has been announced for ages, and there isn't really much that they are going to do anyway. All that they're saying that they won't do is the patches that effect the end-user, like performance and appearance changes, but there wasn't much that they would have done anyway - the OS has been out for almost exactly 5 years, which is the same length that every other OS (that's not XP) gets. Security updates and drivers will still be released, as well as internet exploder fixes, although Firefox and Chrome are obviously more secure (due in part to their lack of reliance on Windows Update and its optional updates).

HTTP/2 203

I don't really get the huge complaints about them removing support to general consumers first .  

It's not an immediate concern, it just has implications that directly contradict others like saying DirectX 12 will be supported on Windows 7: It will likely won't come at all and Microsoft will either make up an excuse or quietly says they're "working on it" and never actually release it. It is very clear that the abandonment and forced obsolescence won't stop with just performance updates.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't really get the huge complaints about them removing support to general consumers first .  Old OS's get old.  Most companies in my industry have finally just gotten around to deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010, nonono no 2013 yet.  Besides the security updates are provided to general users until support expires, after which *shock* the OS still works, you're just making yourself vulnerable by using some ancient less efficient and less secure OS.

Businesses tend to buy a lot more licenses in volume and continue to buy more and more licenses as each year goes by throughout almost the entirety of the product's life cycle, save for the first couple of years because the OS is untested and still unsecure - can't really say the same for a standard user who takes whatever OS comes with the kit they've just bought or is choosing to upgrade for better performance.

Seriously everyone who wants MS to stop making OS's because 7 is so perfect will be the first to cry when someone breaks through the inevitable security holes due to janky older code.

We got the same from naysayers in the office that believed XP and Office 2003 is absolutely fine and moving to 7 was a terrible idea.  It turns out, those people are morons.

People are mad because they withhold the wrong things, and force things down your throat that you may or may not want. AKA Direct X, fullscreen app crap, Cloud integration that I do not want. Bloat up the arse that should all be optional. 

I don't want them to stop making them OS's. I want them to stop having a monopoly on an API and screwing over PC gaming. Win 8 has Direct X 11.2 and so does Xbox One. Can we get it in games? Nope. Why? Because MS holds a gun to peoples head and tells them until you all upgrade, you simply aren't getting it on games, because no developer in their right mind is going to bother with that market share. They can do the same thing with Win 9 and DirectX 12. Hooray we are finally getting a low level API Holiday 2015 and it could be just as dead as Direct X 11.2 is now. List the Direct X 11.2 games out there. Have fun with that. 

MS uses underhanded means to make you upgrade, with a complete BS monopoly on an API that has no need to even exist. How about making a better product or putting in things people actually want?

Where was Steam Big Picture mode on Windows? How about Steam in House Streaming? Where is Windows boot to steam big picture mode?  Why the hell does Valve have to do all this stuff? Why the hell can't MS automatically detect and put in through their updates that XXXXXX game needs Windows compatability mode. MS makes PC gaming a headache on purpose and gives us zero innovation, while also charging us 100 bucks every few years for nothing more than a API patch. Just because I know how to install or play an older title without problems doesn't mean newcomers do. 

Show me someone that is GLAD MS is even involved in PC gaming and I will show you a moron or someone affiliated with MS and their advertising. Games for Windows Live? They had some fake poster beg that MS didn't remove it while stating that he hates Steam. This is why I can't stand Microsoft. They will astroturf, use LAUGHABLE bold face lie marketing, all the while screwing you over. They knew full well they weren't  removing Games for Windows Live. They wanted to drum up support for it (we all laughed) and then act as if they cared about PC gaming by keeping it around.

Why the hell do you think we have to wait til 2015 Holiday for a low level API? 1) So they can sell their X box. 2) So they can say blah blah enough people are off of 7 where we can put it on 9. DX 12 comes out Holiday and they are cutting support in January. This is to force people to a OS so they can claim the majority is on it, even if those people are on non gaming tablets/notebooks etc. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I'm calling their bluff.

They'll push the date back further.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

colonel_mortis and AlexGoesHigh are correct. How is this news?

This was published on Microsoft site since the release of Windows 7 (well updates at SP1), and just because now the end is coming, you guys freak out. Please. Vista had 5 years.. no one complained, like no one complained, despite being in fashion to bash Microsoft at the time. So what's different now? Windows 8 has also 5 year. It's always been 5 year, with the exception of XP.

When Windows 9 will comes out, it will ALSO be 5 year. Crazy right.

Why is this a problem? If you are happy with the way W7 runs now then it will be the same when it is no longer supported.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I think the support will be extended if majority of users remain on Windows 7 even when Windows 9 is released. Right now everything depends on Windows 9. It will make or brake Microsoft. I hope they don't mess it up.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is absolutely great news!

said no W7 user ever

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I'm okay with that if they release an OS THAT YOU CAN USE WITH A MOUSE before killing Win7. No problem then.

This  is kind of depressing. Windows 8 is a steaming pile of shit, so I guess I have to stick with an unsupported os for a while.

Windows 8 is fine... just use desktop mode, its the same...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm confused... They promised DX12 on 7, isn't that a 'performance improvement', or maybe that's not technically an official patch; it's separate software?

windows 7 until 2020 .... AWESOME !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They are ending mainstream support 3 years after the OS is released, and business support after 8 years JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS, and you guys are shocked?

This forum: Fuck you Microsoft for doing things the same (end of life timing), and fuck you Microsoft for doing things different (Windows 8).

Kids these days...

It's almost as if they WANT to lose market share.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

DirectX 12 is not ready yet. All they showed was very early work on the performance improvement. We have 0 idea in its current state. It could be ultra buggy, but the specific demo was working. And Microsoft will not release a new DirectX, just for 1 feature.

It has NOTHING to do with XBox One. In fact, its the contrary. Microsoft said that DirectX12 will be on the XBox One, and it is in Microsoft best interest to have it released on the XBox One asap, to be able to deliver comparable to PS4 games, and push its sales.

They are ending mainstream support 3 years after the OS is released, and business support after 8 years JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS, and you guys are shocked?

This forum: Fuck you Microsoft for doing things the same (end of life timing), and fuck you Microsoft for doing things different (Windows 8).

Kids these days...

Right because any change is commendable even if it is for the worst like Windows 8. Now let's hear the parade of people telling me how I'm wrong about a stupid UI that I personally do not like using

-------

Current Rig

-------

Damn XP was long lived!

This kind of annoys me because I was planning on keeping 7 for a while...

At least we get security patches, but no more features/performance upgrades (obviously Direct X)

My netbook is still running XP  B)

I upgraded from 7 to 8.1, and really don't see what the big deal about it being super terrible is...

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

I upgraded from 7 to 8.1, and really don't see what the big deal about it being super terrible is...

Nobody knows that... it's just popular opinion.

inb4 'I had bad experience with Win 8.1' replies.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

FUCK THEM!! SERIOUSLY FUCK THEM. I UNDERSTAND XP, BUT THIS IS BULLSHIT
It's Only 4 years old!

I don't even Hate 8 or anything.

EDIT

Well they still will do security updates so I see nothing wrong with this. A whole lot about nothing. They are not forcing users off of 7 at all. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Kids these days...

They kept mainstream xp support for what? 11 years?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Wow so after the thing with windows 9 how they are trying to make it really hard to pirate we cant even stay on an older OS lol looks like ill be movie to Linux alot sooner than i thought and/or OSX for mainstream programs like adobe etc i really hope gaming moves away from microsoft now i really just want to sell my xboxone im so pissed at them right now.

They kept mainstream xp support for what? 11 years?

Uhm no. They kept EXTENDED SUPPORT for over 10 years. Mainstream support ended basically with SP3.

I can't believe people are getting butthurt about this, and are acting shocked. As has been stated several times, the support date has been posted since the release of Windows 7. THIS IS NOT NEWS! We've known it was ending in 2015 for years! Plus Extended support will last for a whole lot longer, so relax, Windows 7 will be fine.

This is and has been standard operating procedure for Microsoft for like 2 decades. XP was the exception because people REFUSED to stop using an old, outdated, and security-hole ridden OS. I'm sure that in 10 years, long after security support has ended, people will still be using Windows 7 as well (completely regardless of whether there is a newer/better MS OS available, since there's still a ton of Windows XP butthurt to this day even though Win7 is kickass).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)