In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Some Parts Of Windows 7 Support

Dietrichw

Who cares. You still get security updates, why should Microsoft invest in optimizing performance and add new features to 7 for customers who aren't willing to pay for it.

Dosnt affect me at all... If your a gamer you should have Windows 8.

And if your complaining about no start menu, get Start is back or learn how to use Windows 8's quick menu thing. It has all the things the old start menu had. Less clicks to get get to control panel or CMD

Ok, so officially fuck microsoft, I will be going with Steamos when that comes out then, and I'm never coming back.

Edit: If they REALLY wanted us to upgrade, they would offer a discount of some kind for doing so, not just fuck us in the ass with no security updates. Say what you like, but the customer is always right, and if you want my money for a new product, offer me an incentive, don't just cut my legs off if I don't pay full price for your next product

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Right because any change is commendable even if it is for the worst like Windows 8. Now let's hear the parade of people telling me how I'm wrong about a stupid UI that I personally do not like using

So you would have preferred Windows 8 to be near identical to Windows 7, and would have paid for it? They tried something new... a lot of people didn't like it so they keep pushing out updates to make more and more people happy with it, and it is getting much better with each one IMO.

Imagine how stale Windows OS's would be if they didn't innovate.

Don't like the UI? Install Classic shell or any of the other start menu replacements and enjoy all the benefits of Win8.1. The newest update means you don't have to touch Modern UI other than the start screen.

Who cares. You still get security updates, why should Microsoft invest in optimizing performance and add new features to 7 for customers who aren't willing to pay for it.

Wat.jpeg

-------

Current Rig

-------

So you would have preferred Windows 8 to be near identical to Windows 7, and would have paid for it? 

If there was either:

1) A substantial advantage or 

2) A design choice that I liked because it was aimed at desktop users or agreeable for them

Then yes I would have paid to update. As it stands? Neither 1 or 2 are true or incentive enough for me to buy an update. Innovation doesn't means forcing a mobile GUI on desktop users. That's what they went for, and that's what they fucking get: Not a single fucking penny from me ever, for windows 8.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ok, so officially fuck microsoft, I will be going with Steamos when that comes out then, and I'm never coming back.

Edit: If they REALLY wanted us to upgrade, they would offer a discount of some kind for doing so, not just fuck us in the ass with no security updates. Say what you like, but the customer is always right, and if you want my money for a new product, offer me an incentive, don't just cut my legs off if I don't pay full price for your next product

Microsoft usually has deep discounted promotion of Windows when it is released for the first few months.

Example: Windows 8 Pro + Media Center was 40$ . Windows 7 was 60 or 50% off depending on the edition, or 150$ for 3 licenses (Family pack, it was called).

If the trend continues, expect similar thing with Windows 9. So, stay tuned.

If Windows 8 was actually usable on my computer I'd be ok with using that instead. Since it isn't however, I can't wait for Linux to catch up to Windows in gaming then I can abandon Microsoft and never look back. Either way Microsoft...this is an extremely stupid move.

If Windows 8 was actually usable on my computer I'd be ok with using that instead. Since it isn't however, I can't wait for Linux to catch up to Windows in gaming then I can abandon Microsoft and never look back. Either way Microsoft...this is an extremely stupid move.

lol valve games maybe

Good luck with waiting for the AAA titles

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

so everyone is angry that Microsoft is stopping support of 4 year old software?

Did you honestly expect 7 to last as long as XP did? 7 does not nearly have the market share that XP had, not even close. They already have an operating system called 8.1 that's current, and another one coming soon on the horizon. This is a good overall business decision by Microsoft in my opinion. Focusing on newer OS's rather than being stuck with software that is 4 years behind. You guys are still getting security updates and whatnot anyways.

Everyone here acting shocked is amazing. I'm pretty sure this was the nature of Windows OS since the beginning with the exception of XP, obviously.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Uhm no. They kept EXTENDED SUPPORT for over 10 years. Mainstream support ended basically with SP3.

I can't believe people are getting butthurt about this, and are acting shocked. As has been stated several times, the support date has been posted since the release of Windows 7. THIS IS NOT NEWS! We've known it was ending in 2015 for years! Plus Extended support will last for a whole lot longer, so relax, Windows 7 will be fine.

This is and has been standard operating procedure for Microsoft for like 2 decades. XP was the exception because people REFUSED to stop using an old, outdated, and security-hole ridden OS. I'm sure that in 10 years, long after security support has ended, people will still be using Windows 7 as well (completely regardless of whether there is a newer/better MS OS available, since there's still a ton of Windows XP butthurt to this day even though Win7 is kickass).

Look as long as they keep rolling out updates instead of cutting it off despite it's majority market share in order to sell win 8. That makes sense.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Microsoft usually has deep discounted promotion of Windows when it is released for the first few months.

Example: Windows 8 Pro + Media Center was 40$ . Windows 7 was 60 or 50% off depending on the edition, or 150$ for 3 licenses (Family pack, it was called).

If the trend continues, expect similar thing with Windows 9. So, stay tuned.

Considering that Steamos is free, and will (more than likely) be better, I'm not seeing any incentive other than "fuck you, buy this new product or get hacked/virus/malware/fuukyuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Look as long as they keep rolling out updates instead of cutting it off despite it's majority market share in order to sell win 8. That makes sense.

You're getting security updates and patches until 2020 for Windows 7... if that's not long enough, then I don't know what will be :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You're getting security updates and patches until 2020 for Windows 7... if that's not long enough, then I don't know what will be :P

Well than that's fine! I consider that full support. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Considering that Steamos is free, and will (more than likely) be better, I'm not seeing any incentive other than "fuck you, buy this new product or get hacked/virus/malware/fuukyuuuuuuuuuuuu"

But unfortunately windows still has DX. 

muh specs 

All parts black

so everyone is angry that Microsoft is stopping support of 4 year old software?

Did you honestly expect 7 to last as long as XP did? 7 does not nearly have the market share that XP had, not even close. They already have an operating system called 8.1 that's current, and another one coming soon on the horizon. This is a good overall business decision by Microsoft in my opinion. Focusing on newer OS's rather than being stuck with software that is 4 years behind. You guys are still getting security updates and whatnot anyways.

Everyone here acting shocked is amazing. I'm pretty sure this was the nature of Windows OS since the beginning with the exception of XP, obviously.

Exactly, XP peaked at 73% market share, it's a bit hard to just cease support for that many clients.  7 looks like it will only achieve 50% tops, so maintaining security only is more than adequate to maintain client relations.

The thing most people on this forum seem to forget is that gamers and enthusiasts are only a very small percentage of their revenue,  we are a little bit of cream in their profit at best.  People need to stop being ignorant with silly statements like how stupid MS are and how they can go **** themselves because they won't give a whole heap of development time to a product to pacify a minority market share.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Still, all I can see or think about this is FUBU "Fuck you, buy us"

Edit:

Exactly, XP peaked at 73% market share, it's a bit hard to just cease support for that many clients.  7 looks like it will only achieve 50% tops, so maintaining security only is more than adequate to maintain client relations.

The thing most people on this forum seem to forget is that gamers and enthusiasts are only a very small percentage of their revenue,  we are a little bit of cream in their profit at best.  People need to stop being ignorant with silly statements like how stupid MS are and how they can go **** themselves because they won't give a whole heap of development time to a product to pacify a minority market share.

gaming is a billion dollar industry (granted most of that is dirty dirty consoles) still, small potatoes, that aint.

Edit#2: Not to mention their already shitty treatment of us, pretending like we dont exist so they can focus on the chattel satisfying xbone

when I first saw this, I thought they were killing security updates in an effort to move people to windows 8 which is not selling the best. But now I see nothing wrong with this if they keep up security updates. 

muh specs 

All parts black

BS. Businesses will not be buying Win 9 when it comes out and most upgraded to Win 7 not Win 8. Business could give two @$^S about DirectX updates. Enthusiast/Gamers are who buy it and people who buy the OEM manufacturer computers have no choice and when they did? Windows 7 outsold Windows 8.  

If what you say is true? Then MS wouldn't withhold DirectX from older versions of Windows. Games/Enthusiasts have the power here. Stop buying their new OS's and the game devs will go OpenGL. I will never buy a Windows OS again. They contribute NOTHING to PC gaming. We rely on Valve for that for things like Big Picture mode and In House Streaming.

All MS does is charge me 100 bucks every few years by withholding a API update, hold back PC gaming by forcing adoption to a new OS (and the devs won't use the new API until the OS has dominant market share), while giving me a crappy internet browser, more bloat every OS, a worse and worse UI, a crappy notepad, a crappy media player and driver issues/bugs until the first service pack, which ends up with more driver issues. 

The only MS program I even use on Windows is Skype and MS bought that from someone and made it worse. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Still, all I can see or think about this is FUBU "Fuck you, buy us"

Edit:

gaming is a billion dollar industry (granted most of that is dirty dirty consoles) still, small potatoes, that aint.

Edit#2: Not to mention their already shitty treatment of us, pretending like we dont exist so they can focus on the chattel satisfying xbone

MS make 90 odd% of their revenue from corporate clients,  they make almost as much from office alone as they do from windows total. Gaming might be a billion dollar industry (for game devs and console sales) but that is merely peanuts to MS, especially in reference to OS revenue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

MS make 90 odd% of their revenue from corporate clients,  they make almost as much from office alone as they do from windows total. Gaming might be a billion dollar industry (for game devs and console sales) but that is merely peanuts to MS, especially in reference to OS revenue.

That might be true, but they're still essentially giving us desktop gamers the finger and saying "fuck you, upgrade or languish" to which I hope most gamers respond by going with steamos.

BS. Businesses will not be buying Win 9 when it comes out and most upgraded to Win 7 not Win 8. Business could give two @$^S about DirectX updates. Enthusiast/Gamers are who buy it and people who buy the OEM manufacturer computers have no choice and when they did? Windows 7 outsold Windows 8.  

If what you say is true? Then MS wouldn't withhold DirectX from older versions of Windows. Games/Enthusiasts have the power here. Stop buying their new OS's and the game devs will go OpenGL. I will never buy a Windows OS again. They contribute NOTHING to PC gaming. We rely on Valve for that for things like Big Picture mode and In House Streaming.

All MS does is charge me 100 bucks every few years by withholding a API update, hold back PC gaming by forcing adoption to a new OS (and the devs won't use the new API until the OS has dominant market share), while giving me a crappy internet browser, more bloat every OS, a worse and worse UI, a crappy notepad, a crappy media player and driver issues/bugs until the first service pack, which ends up with more driver issues. 

The only MS program I even use on Windows is Skype and MS bought that from someone and made it worse. 

You = winning

deathjester, on 08 Jul 2014 - 9:05 PM, said:

Most businesses still use Windows XP, even if a few upgraded, it wasn't much at all.

I don't think game companies will ever move to OpenGL. Because, quite frankly, Windows won't ever lose its market share. Windows all-together owns 90% of the desktop market. Even MacOS lost a little bit of their shares recently. You have to be joking if you actually believe SteamOS will take off anytime soon.

And you said something about Internet Explorer 11 being crappy... Crappy how? It's literally almost the same exact thing as Chrome. Hell, in my opinion, it's better than Chrome. And a crappy media player? Are you telling me that you think something like Quicktime is better? Quicktime is bloated as shit and takes a while to load. And Apple pushes updates for iTunes and Quicktime so frequently, that it get's painfully annoying.

I've also never had driver issues with Windows 8, like all the haters seem to have. No game issues either. Since launch. We'll leave it at that.

That might be true, but they're still essentially giving us desktop gamers the finger and saying "fuck you, upgrade or languish" to which I hope most gamers respond by going with steamos.

Yah I think the DX12 shit is bullshit. There is more development needed to make it work only in 8 than just letting it be and work in any version of windows. It's just a series of dll files that are universal. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Most businesses still use Windows XP, even if a few upgraded, it wasn't much at all.

I don't think game companies will ever move to OpenGL. Because, quite frankly, Windows won't ever lose its market share. Windows all-together owns 90% of the desktop market. Even MacOS lost a little bit of their shares recently. You have to be joking if you actually believe SteamOS will take off anytime soon.

And you said something about Internet Explorer 11 being crappy... Crappy how? It's literally almost the same exact thing as Chrome. Hell, in my opinion, it's better than Chrome. And a crappy media player? Are you telling me that you think something like Quicktime is better? Quicktime is bloated as shit and takes a while to load. And Apple pushes updates for iTunes and Quicktime so frequently, that it get's painfully annoying.

I've also never had driver issues with Windows 8, like all the haters seem to have. No game issues either. Since launch. We'll leave it at that.

HAHAHAHA quicktime.....I needed a good laugh, thank you.

Check their financials for yourself.  I don't know why they send you a bill for $100 every few years, it only cost me $80 to upgrade the OS every 5 years at the most, DX is free and you don't need that absolute latest to play the latest games.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Financials/fy10/Q4/SegmentRevenues.aspx

Business division makes as much as the windows division which is predominately sold to business anyway.  Gaming revenue from both xbox and windows is less than the total of the entertainment and devices division.