TikTok is in trouble... again? (Updated)

Posted (edited)

Summary

The Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act called for action against TikTok and their parent company ByteDance. If this bill passes it means that ByteDance will be forced to let go of their beloved TikTok or just remove themselves from the US market.

Quotes

"The House Commerce Committee today voted 50-0 to approve a bill that would force TikTok owner ByteDance to sell the company or lose access to the US market."

"If the bill passes in the House and Senate and is signed into law by President Biden, TikTok would eventually be dropped from app stores in the US if its owner doesn't sell. It also would lose access to US-based web-hosting services."

"The bill was introduced on Tuesday and had 20 sponsors split evenly between Democrats and Republicans. TikTok urged its users to protest the bill, sending a notification that said, 'Congress is planning a total ban of TikTok... Let Congress know what TikTok means to you and tell them to vote NO.'"

My thoughts

I will not be sad if TikTok is removed from the US. I am not sure what specifically the CCP are doing with the data they are presumably taking from the US. Honestly though tiktok is one of the most toxic platforms there is but I think that there is not any better alternative. But at least china won't have my data anymore?

***Update***

The Bill has passed through the house even though there are concerns about it being unconstitutional. You can read more about it here: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/bill-that-could-ban-tiktok-passes-in-house-despite-constitutional-concerns/

Source

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/house-committee-votes-50-0-to-force-tiktok-to-divest-from-chinese-owner/

Edited by BrandonT.05
Update

I'm usually as lost as you are

I stopped using TikTok a little over a year ago and my life is all the better not using that stupid platform.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

shut-it-down-dark-city.gif

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 hours ago, BrandonT.05 said:

but I think that there is not any better alternative

Do we need a better alternative? And what would it look like?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

3 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

no you don't. if it "leaves" america just use vpn, its the internet ffs lmao.

also as if it would ever leave... they'll just sell it and that's it, you'll keep getting your info stolen from another none american (musk obviously)  and you will like it!!! all is fine ~ 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

no you don't. if it "leaves" america just use vpn, its the internet ffs lmao.

Never in my life I would imagine the US to build their own great firewall.

Funfact: some American government websites such as the US census are already geoblocked.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

I've come here to find girls off Instagram, and I'm all out of followers.

600px-SWTheylive.jpg

18 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

I stopped using TikTok a little over a year ago and my life is all the better not using that stupid platform.

Stopped using it 3 months ago. Replaced it with Reddit... Stopped using Reddit a few days ago.

The endless scrolling for quick content is everywhere these days and so easy to fall into when bored. Be it youtube shorts, instagram, twitter or some other social media... It's all cancer for your sanity.

That said, related to this topic... It's just the US fear mongering as usual. They are just mad they aren't the ones doing the spying for once.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Oh no anyway Memes - Imgflip

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I've been noticing just how much time I've been spending on it (~16 hrs a week), just added a 30-min time limit to it

🙂

Social networking... how social can you go?

Such a bluesy topic...

I'll leave my synth pads to be it. 🙂

21 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Nope. Youtube already figured out the pieces it wants from tiktok and twitch, and has so far been more successful than other Google brands at not rolling out things people turn their nose up at.

TikTok is the zoomer social media platform. Twitter/Vine actually had that market and then closed it/fumbled it.

Just there is no way of really sticking ads on such short form videos that people will actually notice or care about, so without being subsidized by another business, TikTok is likely dead if it has to be spun off.

21 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Nope. Youtube already figured out the pieces it wants from tiktok and twitch, and has so far been more successful than other Google brands at not rolling out things people turn their nose up at.

TikTok is the zoomer social media platform. Twitter/Vine actually had that market and then closed it/fumbled it.

Just there is no way of really sticking ads on such short form videos that people will actually notice or care about, so without being subsidized by another business, TikTok is likely dead if it has to be spun off.

I must not be the only one when you said Twitter fumbled it, I read that as Twitter Tumblr'd it... lol.

Yeah, Tiktok needs to go...

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

They are pushing TikTok shop hard, diversifying away from advertising. I guess with the ad-pocalypse, lots of ad supported platforms will be exploring options.

It's hard to say if TikTok profitable now, unless ByteDance have broken down the figures? I suspect it isn't, streaming video is an expensive business. Aren't Google cagey about if YouTube turns a profit too?

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

They are pushing TikTok shop hard, diversifying away from advertising. I guess with the ad-pocalypse, lots of ad supported platforms will be exploring options.

It's hard to say if TikTok profitable now, unless ByteDance have broken down the figures? I suspect it isn't, streaming video is an expensive business. Aren't Google cagey about if YouTube turns a profit too?

I'll just sit and Wait until somebody pulls the plug on Tiktok...

Ah, good old Waite... never gets old.

Good old what did you do for my kingdom. 😎

Even if TikTok gets banned, YouTube Shorts basically fills that hole nowadays if you still want short-form content.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Even if TikTok gets banned, YouTube Shorts basically fills that hole nowadays if you still want short-form content.

Yeah, shorts is bit higher school in my book though...

On 3/9/2024 at 3:20 PM, duncannah said:

I've been noticing just how much time I've been spending on it (~16 hrs a week), just added a 30-min time limit to it

Short-form video can be insanely addictive. I also noticed how the hours can fly by once I start to browse shorts. Our brain loves these small, frequent kicks of dopamine.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Not to mention Instagram reels. Recently, at least at my school, it's gaining a lot more popularity ever since most the sounds got yeeted off of tiktok.

37 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Short-form video can be insanely addictive. I also noticed how the hours can fly by once I start to browse shorts. Our brain loves these small, frequent kicks of dopamine.

How about a full Hawkwind concert, though? Make it physical while at it. 

Kids these days don't know what a real mental manipulator is...

social experiments like Twitch, Youtube etc.. are the basic stuff... built up upon 80's camera tricks. 😉

Id be ok with most of these apps being removed for children. Screens of autoplaying shortform videos, non monitored or properly curated content should be brought to light. There are parents now simply sitting kids in front of devices to parent them. Or allowing kids to have too much freedom of the internet. It was bad historically allowing millennials on the internet without much control or understanding. There are ALOT of controls in place for people with easier appearance to do so. TikTok employing its users to call people shows what sort of power they could employ and this is the same with so many of these apps. Every app for social media steals information as well as other sources stealing from those social media apps. To me it sounds more who has that data. Where they are ok with NA based companies stealing and using the data for their means but not foreign non disclosed ones.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:02 AM, BrandonT.05 said:

tiktok is one of the most toxic platforms there is but I think that there is not any better alternative

Sure there is…the better alternative is to not use it. I say this not because its alleged connection to the Chinese government, I say this because it has absolutely no useful purpose. I understand that many will disagree with that statement…but, of course, they are wrong. 😉

-kp

1 hour ago, kpluck said:

Sure there is…the better alternative is to not use it. I say this not because its alleged connection to the Chinese government, I say this because it has absolutely no useful purpose. I understand that many will disagree with that statement…but, of course, they are wrong. 😉

-kp

No, I actually agree 100%. Especially with children these days it is getting super dangerous for them to have any social media platform. Snapchat comes to mind as another terrible platform for young people. Basically there's nowhere for anybody to go that's positive and scam free. It's such a mess and it's sad because social media could be so much better. But as I always say, people are always going to people and that just is what it is. 

I don't think it's as much them taking your data as it is bad actors being able to indoctrinate the vulnerable. Like the case of the US serviceman that set himself on fire. 

I'd be glad to see this gone, though to be fair I'd be glad to see most social media gone. Such a waste of most people's time. 

Now I know what old people felt like when tv's were taking off. Welp. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red