TikTok is in trouble... again? (Updated)

On 3/9/2024 at 12:02 AM, BrandonT.05 said:

My thoughts

I will not be sad if TikTok is removed from the US. I am not sure what specifically the CCP are doing with the data they are presumably taking from the US. Honestly though tiktok is one of the most toxic platforms there is but I think that there is not any better alternative. But at least china won't have my data anymore?

Perhaps the whole time it's for marketing purpose? It's not like any military would be stupid enough to leak their sensitive data into open internet.

Also, considering this is isn't "ban tiktok" bill but a "ban any website that is from an US enemy" I imagine VK, Yandex and even telegram would be next on the chopping block.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

They should all be chopped to the bin, straight off Wisconsin wood to the wood style.

Yandex is trash, Telegram is the modern KIK and VK is the Russian Facebook.

Chop them all over, nobody ever needed any of them on the first place. So much networking waste for have a "social" ground.

good

china doesnt let any foreign company operate in their border without having a party member check everything they do, why should any other country leave chinese company act freely?

good on the US, hopefully the same happens for every other chinese based corporation in more places around the world

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

good

china doesnt let any foreign company operate in their border without having a party member check everything they do, why should any other country leave chinese company act freely?

good on the US, hopefully the same happens for every other chinese based corporation in more places around the world

A true pot and kettle situation.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

28 minutes ago, williamcll said:

is it really? Tiktok. There are much worse websites on this net, such as linustechtip.com. Lol..

seriously though? Are you watching this? Turn on CBS, popcorn ready for Harry.

There's no argument, the plan was created in 1984. The ultimate manipulative tool is your computer monitor, not a gun directed at you telling you to do something... since there are these ideals called "human rights", that's the only thing telling man from animal apart.

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

How?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 3/14/2024 at 1:07 AM, Motifator said:

They should all be chopped to the bin, straight off Wisconsin wood to the wood style.

Yandex is trash, Telegram is the modern KIK and VK is the Russian Facebook.

Chop them all over, nobody ever needed any of them on the first place. So much networking waste for have a "social" ground.

Sure it is ok when you don't like the website of service but what happens when they do the same for things people like? This is bad and can easily lead to bad outcomes down the line. I can't imagine people would actually support banning companies due to what country they are from. I like having the freedom of choice and it sounds like an overt attack on that in the name of "national security" which I am baffled how tick tok actually represents any real threat. 

16 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Sure it is ok when you don't like the website of service but what happens when they do the same for things people like? This is bad and can easily lead to bad outcomes down the line. I can't imagine people would actually support banning companies due to what country they are from. I like having the freedom of choice and it sounds like an overt attack on that in the name of "national security" which I am baffled how tick tok actually represents any real threat. 

Correct, this ban is happening on the grounds of MUH AMERICA.

Tiktok does not represent any physical threat to me, other than the fact that the content gives me brain damage...

oh well. 🙂

23 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Correct, this ban is happening on the grounds of MUH AMERICA.

Tiktok does not represent any physical threat to me, other than the fact that the content gives me brain damage...

oh well. 🙂

That's the great thing about freedom of choice. You can choose not to use TikTok and avoid any brain damage. Also I feel like just having legislation against companies collecting a bunch of info from users would have been a better option than a ban because clearly if they cared about security they would be worried about all companies that collect a massive amount of data on users rather than this one company specifically. 

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's the great thing about freedom of choice. You can choose not to use TikTok and avoid any brain damage. Also I feel like just having legislation against companies collecting a bunch of info from users would have been a better option than a ban because clearly if they cared about security they would be worried about all companies that collect a massive amount of data on users rather than this one company specifically. 

No because if they enforce a general privacy law like GDPR it would kill a lot of companies in the states that deals with personal data. That would cause more harm to the american tech industry than it is to the chinese.

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It is well-known that the Chinese government puts their tendrils into any and every data stream they can, this isn't conjecture it's fact with numerous demonstrations. The United States is not on extremely level terms with China, this is also fact. TikTok is a datamine service and we've known it for years. People seem to be likening this to some modern 'red scare' or whatever, but there are true security problems letting known bad actors access networks and hardware all over the country. 

The Chinese Government might as well be seen as a hacker group in this regard, they are using what is basically touted as a public global social media application/service to intercept data and catalog it. It's nefarious, and this is a reasonable capability a sovereign nation should have over protecting data from a foreign government, especially since TikTok is mainly focussed on an age demographic that doesn't know better or care about the potential security problems. I wouldn't want any family member in my household to be using a service pipelining data to a foreign government, I believe most people really wouldn't either.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

My thoughts exactly, Tiktok is not just an enemy of the state either... look at it from a global aspect, I don't think any one of us here would legit sit down and watch videos off Tiktok all day. I'd be done after watching a flick or two... Tiktok is a manipulation tool. 

Sure, you can argue anything can be a manipulation tool. Including the MOX6 on my avatar...

honestly though, Tiktok needs to go.

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

It is well-known that the Chinese government puts their tendrils into any and every data stream they can, this isn't conjecture it's fact with numerous demonstrations. The United States is not on extremely level terms with China, this is also fact. TikTok is a datamine service and we've known it for years. People seem to be likening this to some modern 'red scare' or whatever, but there are true security problems letting known bad actors access networks and hardware all over the country. 

The Chinese Government might as well be seen as a hacker group in this regard, they are using what is basically touted as a public global social media application/service to intercept data and catalog it. It's nefarious, and this is a reasonable capability a sovereign nation should have over protecting data from a foreign government, especially since TikTok is mainly focussed on an age demographic that doesn't know better or care about the potential security problems. I wouldn't want any family member in my household to be using a service pipelining data to a foreign government, I believe most people really wouldn't either.

No evidence has really pointed to tiktok being an actual security concern other than conjecture. 

On 3/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, dizmo said:

I don't think it's as much them taking your data as it is bad actors being able to indoctrinate the vulnerable. Like the case of the US serviceman that set himself on fire. 

I'd be glad to see this gone, though to be fair I'd be glad to see most social media gone. Such a waste of most people's time. 

Now I know what old people felt like when tv's were taking off. Welp. 

What? How is Tiktok "indoctrinating" the vulnerable like the US serviceman?

8 hours ago, Motifator said:

My thoughts exactly, Tiktok is not just an enemy of the state either... look at it from a global aspect, I don't think any one of us here would legit sit down and watch videos off Tiktok all day. I'd be done after watching a flick or two... Tiktok is a manipulation tool. 

Sure, you can argue anything can be a manipulation tool. Including the MOX6 on my avatar...

honestly though, Tiktok needs to go.

It shouldn't be up to the government to decide that. Be a better parent.

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

No evidence has really pointed to tiktok being an actual security concern other than conjecture. 

Except that it funnels data to the Chinese government, like every Chinese ‘state-approved’ service has to. Many of you just seem to be completely ignoring the reality of how China demands tech and software companies to operate there, this is all well-known.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Except that it funnels data to the Chinese government, like every Chinese ‘state-approved’ service has to. Many of you just seem to be completely ignoring the reality of how China demands tech and software companies to operate there, this is all well-known.

Providing user data and hacking into everyone's devices using some backdoor in tiktok are two very different things. One is concerning while the other I could care less about and not a national security concern that warrants through banning of tiktok. Also I would be surprised if the US didn't collect similar data if not through tech companies directly then by other means. 

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Providing user data and hacking into everyone's devices using some backdoor in tiktok are two very different things. One is concerning while the other I could care less about and not a national security concern that warrants through banning of tiktok. Also I would be surprised if the US didn't collect similar data if not through tech companies directly then by other means. 

The data collection doesn’t have to be some massive national security problem for it to still be a problem, why is that your litmus test?

The Chinese government has no business collecting user data for a service in other countries, and that is why this is a problem. Because of the specific requirements in China for the government to be able to access data like this, in reality any service owned and operated in China is a potential risk. I said they are like a data mine/hacker group, because the way they collect data is accomplished inside otherwise legitimate software.

ByteDance could change and run their non-Chinese-account servers somewhere else and not feed the data back to China, but since that’s never happening then TikTok is going to be seen as a security risk for its users everywhere. It’s easier to disable access to it here in the U.S.  rather than convince the Chinese government to change its data rules.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

15 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

The data collection doesn’t have to be some massive national security problem for it to still be a problem, why is that your litmus test?

The Chinese government has no business collecting user data for a service in other countries, and that is why this is a problem. Because of the specific requirements in China for the government to be able to access data like this, in reality any service owned and operated in China is a potential risk. I said they are like a data mine/hacker group, because the way they collect data is accomplished inside otherwise legitimate software.

ByteDance could change and run their non-Chinese-account servers somewhere else and not feed the data back to China, but since that’s never happening then TikTok is going to be seen as a security risk for its users everywhere. It’s easier to disable access to it here in the U.S.  rather than convince the Chinese government to change its data rules.

You're right data mining doesn't have to be a national security threat to be a problem but if that is the case then have regulations against data mining across the board rather than being so selective about it. Clearly they don't care when tons of other people have access to this data with little real oversight in how and if that data is shared with other parties. If they came out with regulations banning data mining and then tiktok got banned for not complying then I would be all for it. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:28 AM, kpluck said:

Sure there is…the better alternative is to not use it. I say this not because its alleged connection to the Chinese government, I say this because it has absolutely no useful purpose. I understand that many will disagree with that statement…but, of course, they are wrong. 😉

-kp

Well, if you make money out of the platform through your not so well-made videos, that's a purpose. If you've never built your fanbase on other social media platforms, you're in for some trouble. That aside, Tiktok and other similar apps could all burn for all you and I both seem to care.

On 3/16/2024 at 4:42 PM, atxcyclist said:

Google, Meta, even Twitter and countless of US based companies funnel data to the US government. Should EU then ban these services for being a national security risk? 

2 hours ago, Anders155 said:

Google, Meta, even Twitter and countless of US based companies funnel data to the US government. Should EU then ban these services for being a national security risk? 

Ok? If the U.S. government was cataloging data for social credit scores and broadly removing access to common news and information, you might have a point. But the two are not the same, the Chinese government is one of the least trustworthy to collect data on foreign citizens.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 3/24/2024 at 2:30 PM, Anders155 said:

Actully the data funneld between the EU and US is highly regulated by treaities and is controlled by a framework EU-US data transfers - European Commission (europa.eu) 

On the other hand, TikTok has lied about not being able to trace/spy on journalists so their credability is not the highest TikTok admits using its app to spy on reporters in effort to track leaks | TikTok | The Guardian

I'm not always right.

English is not my native launguage so sometimes I might not make total sense.

Bsc. with a major in informatics.

5 hours ago, RasOls89 said:

Actully the data funneld between the EU and US is highly regulated by treaities and is controlled by a framework EU-US data transfers - European Commission (europa.eu) 

On the other hand, TikTok has lied about not being able to trace/spy on journalists so their credability is not the highest TikTok admits using its app to spy on reporters in effort to track leaks | TikTok | The Guardian

Ah, yes the one set up a year ago in order to combat the previous and possibly ongoing violations by US companies.

On 3/24/2024 at 4:55 PM, atxcyclist said:

Ok? If the U.S. government was cataloging data for social credit scores and broadly removing access to common news and information, you might have a point. But the two are not the same, the Chinese government is one of the least trustworthy to collect data on foreign citizens.

Because those are not the same examples. You're putting forward that the US dosn't collect data for "social credit scores" (it does) which is a domestic thing but then you say the chinese government is one of the least trustworthy because it collects data on foreign citizens. The US does this too.

And I'm not sure you've read the news lately but quite a lot of US states are outright banning books and access to information due to the Culture(TM) War(TM). Then there was that whole federal department to deal with misinformation that went up to the Supreme Court.

So yes, it is quite similiar. The only difference is that what China does is not really publically verifiable without access to intel, US does it openly. 

On 3/8/2024 at 4:06 PM, SignatureSigner said:

I stopped using TikTok a little over a year ago and my life is all the better not using that stupid platform.

What annoys me is YouTube launching Shorts to encourage people to turn YouTube into TikTok.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:31 PM, dizmo said:

I'd be glad to see this gone, though to be fair I'd be glad to see most social media gone. Such a waste of most people's time.

The shame of it is that social media was and is still useful, but you have to be able to resist falling into the traps.  Facebook was the only platform that allowed me to reconnect with old friends and family.

I still use Facebook and Instagram, but its so much more a chore than it used to be now they are so focused on instant gratification, forcing content they think you want (not what you subscribed to) down your throat and just general predatory practices to get you hooked.

I also hate how they changed Facebook (which I used exclusively for finding friends I know in real life) to now throw content at me based on my Instagram (which I use almost exclusively to follow people I DON'T know in real life).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7