is pc gaming just 50% troubleshooting?

okkee

ever since i started playing on a pc i think less than  5 games have had almost no issues. like, if pcgamingwiki wasn't around i'd have given up on this a while ago. is this my unique experience or is this just how pc gaming tends to be?

3 minutes ago, okkee said:

ever since i started playing on a pc i think less than  5 games have had almost no issues. like, if pcgamingwiki wasn't around i'd have given up on this a while ago. is this my unique experience or is this just how pc gaming tends to be?

Are you gaming on Linux?

Most people playing on windows spend very little time troubleshooting. If you are having to do alot of it, there might be a deeper issue with your PC.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

What sort of problems?

Assuming you have a reasonably set up PC and pick game settings appropriate to the hardware, it should be problem free.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

What sort of problems?

Assuming you have a reasonably set up PC and pick game settings appropriate to the hardware, it should be problem free.

like, setting up oblivion/morrowind is just insane. modern games are a bit more plug and play but some games are just a nightmare and need a whole lot of tweaking. 

27 minutes ago, okkee said:

like, setting up oblivion/morrowind is just insane. modern games are a bit more plug and play but some games are just a nightmare and need a whole lot of tweaking. 

Well the latter is 22 years old and designed for windows XP, while the former is 18 years old and designed for vista.

With games that old there is going to be some setup required just because of how much windows and hardware has changed in that time (even though Microsoft do their best to ensure compatability).

One of my friends played through KOTOR (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) recently and that involved alot of trouble shooting. Interestingly the game crashed alot more frequently if he streamed it over discord.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

nope! but i admit it *is* a choice you're doing, either knowingly or unknowingly. 

AVOID "AAA" games and you're probably good...

for me its easy cause i strongly dislike these kind of games, they're always the same no innovation,  terrible animations, repetitive af... all money goes into advertising , hence "AAA".

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, okkee said:

ok the above still applies,  you're apparently choosing hard to play games (old, barely compatible, etc)

but the bright side is,  you *can* probably play most of them for cheap... 

cant exclude that there are issues with the pc either ofc (not enough info given)

for me, like 90% of games literally just just works so, yeah, it depends what you play for sure.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

No.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

21 hours ago, okkee said:

Setting up older games is akin to getting a retro console emulator running on a current console. Games are products of their time and as such run best in the environment they were created for. To expect perfect backwards compatibility without manual adjustments is impossible, because no game developer can see into the future to tell where things are heading. 

And yeah, if you want to play on PC, you're signing up for a platform that has as many individual configurations as there are PCs in existence. It's hard to make everything run perfectly with that many variables. If you just want something that works, play on consoles. 

That being said, I rarely have to do much if anything beyond turning off motion blur. Most modern games detect optimal settings for the hardware already and even then, changing something is usually done in a couple of seconds. Then again, I also tend to avoid playing games the second they come out, especially big budget ones. They have a tendency to release a minimum viable product (and even that's debatable in quite a few cases) and then patch in bugfixes, optimizations and in some cases the entire rest of the game that didn't get finished until the deadline hit.

Rule of thumb: Wait a year. That way you get the benefit of hindsight from other people's impressions as well as all the improvements made by the developers in the mean time. You avoid getting swept up in the hype and you save money by either buying it on sale or not buying it outright if it turns out to be crap. Sure, you'll be out of the loop for the memes some of them generate, but if you play games for the social factor of being part of the current conversation, then you're playing games for the wrong reason.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

pc gaming does have a component of fixing and troubleshooting. iv'e been gaming on pc for 25 years and almost always something needs to be fixed, alot of times a fresh install of windows and loading games will allow for trouble free gaming, all other senerios yes. lots of fun

On 2/13/2024 at 1:00 AM, Avocado Diaboli said:

Setting up older games is akin to getting a retro console emulator running on a current console. Games are products of their time and as such run best in the environment they were created for. To expect perfect backwards compatibility without manual adjustments is impossible, because no game developer can see into the future to tell where things are heading. 

And yeah, if you want to play on PC, you're signing up for a platform that has as many individual configurations as there are PCs in existence. It's hard to make everything run perfectly with that many variables. If you just want something that works, play on consoles. 

That being said, I rarely have to do much if anything beyond turning off motion blur. Most modern games detect optimal settings for the hardware already and even then, changing something is usually done in a couple of seconds. Then again, I also tend to avoid playing games the second they come out, especially big budget ones. They have a tendency to release a minimum viable product (and even that's debatable in quite a few cases) and then patch in bugfixes, optimizations and in some cases the entire rest of the game that didn't get finished until the deadline hit.

Rule of thumb: Wait a year. That way you get the benefit of hindsight from other people's impressions as well as all the improvements made by the developers in the mean time. You avoid getting swept up in the hype and you save money by either buying it on sale or not buying it outright if it turns out to be crap. Sure, you'll be out of the loop for the memes some of them generate, but if you play games for the social factor of being part of the current conversation, then you're playing games for the wrong reason.

Fortnite automatically gave me like max graphics from my hardware, so i kept getting lag spikes, so watch out for that

On 2/14/2024 at 6:48 PM, jre84 said:

pc gaming does have a component of fixing and troubleshooting. iv'e been gaming on pc for 25 years and almost always something needs to be fixed, alot of times a fresh install of windows and loading games will allow for trouble free gaming, all other senerios yes. lots of fun

As another long term PC gamer, I have to say PC gaming is so much easier than it used to be. New games pretty much just work. Old games and modding is where long frustrating troubleshooting comes in. Old games and ultrawide monitors can be a real headache.

For some old games, it might be worth rebuying them off GOG. A lot of the old games on there have compatibility patches for newer versions of Windows.

In the case of modded Bethesda RPGs (including Fallout New Vegas not actually made by Beth Games Studio) at least, it's 1/3 actually playing the game and 2/3 troubleshooting which mods are buggy and/or makes the game crash.

Source:  From experience. Numbers made up though.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

I genuinely didn't know pcgamingwiki was a thing. It's 90% without issues in my case and most of the other 10% is issues I've produced myself through modding. So in general I'd say unless there is a technical problem with your PC you shouldn't run into issues unless you always unofficially beta-test (i. e. play on release) the "latest and greatest" AAA (or now AAAA) games.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 2/19/2024 at 4:20 AM, emothxughts said:

In the case of modded Bethesda RPGs (including Fallout New Vegas not actually made by Beth Games Studio) at least, it's 1/3 actually playing the game and 2/3 troubleshooting which mods are buggy and/or makes the game crash.

Source:  From experience. Numbers made up though.

whats funny i installed a whole bunch of fallout mods with the automatic nexus thing, no issues at all, the only problem was the game is actually extremely bad and these mods didn't do anything to fix that. :x

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

old games use to work with steam... but then the whole windows 10 or bust thing happened and forced most games to only work in windows 10. the games that didn't work were like w/e who cares. so then you have to find work around to get em to work... atm steam stopped working in windows 7 and soo for other os... so...🤷‍♂️

you can find some games on gog with better compatibility just suxs to have to re buy it...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

If you look at this subforum, yes. But I've gamed for 30 years and have had very few game breaking issues over the years. At the moment the biggest issue I have is how badly Blizzard has made voice comms in Overwatch (it prioritises HDMI audio device over any proper setting).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/12/2024 at 4:19 AM, okkee said:

It's you.

Hundreds of PC games here, very few issues. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

judging by googles 1 billion pages of issues, your alone. I have been gaming on pc for 25 years and it is very common to have issues, not all software plays nice with everything. it is extremely common place to have issues