New Surface Pro 3 officially announced by Microsoft. Designed to destroy laptops.[Update2: Surface Mini killed by Elop]

Rafy

I love when he said

Its fanless

then showed what the fan looked like.....

Actually he was talking about other devices. How that became such a thing.

lol, thinking about buying this but this is kinda funny.

HAHA yea exactly what I thought. There apparently was like 2 people with a surface and so many people in the front were using macs. Though, macs tend to be in certain industries but that was really funny.

i would definetly get that core i5 $1300 model for class 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Dude, you are planning wrong, let me help you.

Get the i3/i5 surface

use the 500-900 dollars you save to build a gaming desktop that will blow almost any gaming laptop out of the water. You are welcome.

Or already have a gaming desktop and spend extra on the Surface for longevity and addition horses under the hood.

When it comes to mobile tech I don't cheap out on them because since they aren't very upgradeable, spending extra money on them now will give the most out of the tech

no nvidia card? then how is it a laptop killer? lol jk

depending on which i7 it uses it should be a pretty good tablet, though i much rather the keyboard on most laptops than the keyboards that come with the surface(s)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not that impressive. Try 30+ ft onto a solid surface.

well I haven't seen a drop test on a keynote presentation before, even though it was on a very safe environment, a drop test is a drop test

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I know that it's not a gaming rig, but it's just that without those things I dont really understand how the price go up to ~ 2000$, up to neck against the crazy powerful laptop with GPU and all.

For example, we have this thing at 1400$ price point

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T300LA-DH51T-Detachable-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00EPGHAZ8/ref=psdc1_t2_B00FFJ0HUE_B00EPGHAZ8

Yes, I don't understand their pricing but it is really due to the starting point. $800 for i3(15W version that is) and HD4400 is already overpriced if you ask me. The MacBook Air with i5 and HD5000 for the same price (although not as great screen) is much more reasonable. But I guess if Apple were to release a passively cooled retina macbook air then the prices will be similar...

That ASUS Transformer Book with an i7 / 256GB storage / 8GB of ram is originally $1400.

A Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Intel Core i7 / 256GB storage/ 8GB of RAM / $1549.

Conclusion? The Microsoft surface is actually comparable in price to other NEW two in ones and NEW ultrabooks. YES it's expensive right now but the expensive ones you are getting really high quality stuff in a tablet format.

That ASUS Transformer Book with an i7 / 256GB storage / 8GB of ram is originally $1400.

A Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Intel Core i7 / 256GB storage/ 8GB of RAM / $1549.

Conclusion? The Microsoft surface is actually comparable in price to other NEW two in ones and NEW ultrabooks. YES it's expensive right now but the expensive ones you are getting really high quality stuff in a tablet format.

Exactly, it is priced quite competitively plus it has an active digitizer something that is missing from the transformer.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Well it has already failed like laptops failed to destroy the desktop. These form-factors should co-exist with one another as they all cater to different distinct needs. The desktop is for high performance tasks and high productivity but with poor portability and large size. The laptop is a small form-factor portable yet powerful desktop however with less powerful hardware than a desktop and with a short battery life. The tablet meets the lowest needs of the market with great portability and (should have) good battery life and enough hardware to run media and some productivity programs. That is how I see them. I don't understand why Microsoft and some other companies are trying to make it out like Tablets are the bee all and end all when they can't be simply because their form-factor doesn't allow them to be like that and they never will simply because they are smaller than laptops and even smaller than a desktop.

To put it in another way the bigger the form-factor the more hardware and the more powerful the hardware can be. Even with new technologies that claim to reduce heat output and power consumption it just means that the larger form-factors can get even more hardware in them. Even if we could completely get rid of all heat output (which is impossible I might add, 100% efficiency is impossible) it just means you can get more in the bigger form-factor compared to the smaller form-factor. It seems obvious when you word it like this but technologies like integrated graphics and HSA make it out like they will become more powerful than having separate CPU and GPU when that simply isn't the case as room is simply not a problem in a full sized desktop case or a huge server floor.

Well Why can't I have a tablet that also functions and is just as powerful as a laptop? Why do we have to define what each device should be? If a tablet is just as functional and powerful as a laptop yet in a tablet format why would I need a laptop and a tablet? I can then spend on one device instead of two. That's the WHOLE POINT! It's all about what we find our needs or wants to be. I no longer am going to purchase a laptop probably ever again. For me, Ill have a desktop for my powerful stuff and a tablet for my portable computing that I can bring anywhere and it will function how I need it to when I need it to in one device.

They are not, virtually all the elites use mac notebooks as their daily driver.  I heard a stat from years ago that in the 1000 dollar + notebook market, apple had well over 70-90% of that market.  That was from a few years ago, so it may have changed, but they own that market.

The reasons why are not magical, nice designs coupled to good screens and battery life.  The software argument always seemed secondary, but the true believers say that's the biggest thing.

If you have seen some of the 1000+ dollar offerings from pc makers, it's pathetic.  Lenovo dill well with the yoga 2, but hp and dell have fallen behind big time.  I actually like the spectre 13 notebook, but it's just not exotic enough to capture the mindshare that even the yoga 2 and not the new surface 3 has.  Dell has better designs now, but like many other pc makers, they need to work on weight and screen quality.  And more form factors.  And for F*CKS sakes, stop F*CKING reserving higher quality screens for your 2000 dollar plus machines.

Looking at YOU dell xps 15 to get that 3200x1800 display.  You need to drop over 2 grand to get that display, jesus effing christ.  The surface pro 3 gets a decent screen option all the way down at the base level.

HP/Acer/Asus/Dell/toshiba need to look out at the landscape and stop bringing knives to a gun fight, the game has been raised, rise to the occasion and be better, or go the way of sony/samsung (on notebooks).

Asus and Lenovo have been making the best looking ultrabooks in my opinion.

I could totally see myself buying this over the ultrabook + android tablet i was considering. However there is one problem for me that may be a deal breaker, I'm a big comixology guy and the app in the windows store is just TERRIBLE. If comixology (now amazon), takes windows tablets seriously and improves their app then i'd be all set!

they should release a budget model running the baytrail processors 

well I haven't seen a drop test on a keynote presentation before, even though it was on a very safe environment, a drop test is a drop test

Also lol, 30ft+ drop test?  Time to lean out off this cliff on my Himalayan hike and take a Surface Pro selfie.  Woops!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Well Why can't I have a tablet that also functions and is just as powerful as a laptop? 

Quite simply because screen size matters: On a 7-12" screen you can do some gaming, some browsing and media and such. But if you need to work on spreadsheets or do photo editing for 8 hours a day a small screen is simply insufficient and will cause unnecessary strain on you. More power is nice but as long as it doesn't throws off the price out of the equation by being too high, which I think was the case for surface and Microsoft keeps trying again and again to introduce this ludicrous price points and performance when average users won't notice and serious users would just get something with a bigger screen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dang, no midnight blue type cover in store.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Also lol, 30ft+ drop test?  Time to lean out off this cliff on my Himalayan hike and take a Surface Pro selfie.  Woops!

what is a drop test then, is not even something that gets tested on factories or even considered for Q&A (unless you're nokia) and most warranties don't cover that kind of damage, do you want a fucking 3310 tablet? (that actually sounds kind of awesome :P ) because AFAIK no other tech companies rate their devices to even throw them on a bed safely 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Quite simply because screen size matters: On a 7-12" screen you can do some gaming, some browsing and media and such. But if you need to work on spreadsheets or do photo editing for 8 hours a day a small screen is simply insufficient and will cause unnecessary strain on you. More power is nice but as long as it doesn't throws off the price out of the equation by being too high, which I think was the case for surface and Microsoft keeps trying again and again to introduce this ludicrous price points and performance when average users won't notice and serious users would just get something with a bigger screen

That is true to a point. They might release a table or two in one that is a bigger screen. I can still get stuff done on a tablet that is 12". But if I really did need to type a bunch and have a bigger screen YES I have the option to get a laptop instead. Lots of laptops too are between 13"-16" so you get slightly less screen real estate but not a huge deal. You can always plug the surface into a larger monitor when you are at your work place as well. So for portability you use a smaller screen but for a workplace environment you can plug it into a larger monitor and use a mouse and keyboard.

Again it all comes to preference and what you need. A surface pro 3 can provide almost anything a laptop offers in a tablet format.

Yes, you are right. The higher price pointed Surfaces, most people DEF would never need or notice the more performance cuz they are doing not very intensive things. The i3 is a good option for the average person as long as they know they need to use a micro SD card to add storage or use online storage. The people who need the extra power are the people who would buy the more expensive ones and WILL notice a difference.

OH also, none of these options (laptop, tablet, phablet, two in ones) are not there to replace a desktop or replace each other necessarily. They are there to give the user options to what they need and want in the computing world. Things can phase out because they are not wanted but these options are simply to supply people with option to how they want to compute. I have a desktop, and want a tablet for portability PC and I have a smart phone for other little things. That's not what my mother would want. She wants a laptop. That's perfectly fine. Some want gaming large laptops others want ultrabooks. It really all depends on how we want to compute.

I think i will actually get the $1300 variant, this looks pretty dang fantastic as a mobile device

That ASUS Transformer Book with an i7 / 256GB storage / 8GB of ram is originally $1400.

A Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Intel Core i7 / 256GB storage/ 8GB of RAM / $1549.

Better screen on the surface.

Well Why can't I have a tablet that also functions and is just as powerful as a laptop? Why do we have to define what each device should be? If a tablet is just as functional and powerful as a laptop yet in a tablet format why would I need a laptop and a tablet? I can then spend on one device instead of two. That's the WHOLE POINT! It's all about what we find our needs or wants to be. I no longer am going to purchase a laptop probably ever again. For me, Ill have a desktop for my powerful stuff and a tablet for my portable computing that I can bring anywhere and it will function how I need it to when I need it to in one device.

Try and fit two 880M's, two HDD's in RAID an optical drive and a higher clocked CPU. into the surface Pro. The guy obviously forgot to mention that the consequence of having an i7 in your tablet is that it has been underclocked to high heaven.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

At the keynote lol

Capture_zps866ab029.jpg

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Cool. Although expensive, I'm happy where these 'Tablets' are going.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Can't wait to get one.

Sadly i have to wait until august for it to be able for sale in Denmark.

Known to be an meme

WOW cheapest variant goes for 799$ MS just went right after the MBA

I must say that i3 and 64 GB (Surface Pro 3) vs i5 and 128 GB (MacBook Air) is a nobrainer.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses