New Surface Pro 3 officially announced by Microsoft. Designed to destroy laptops.[Update2: Surface Mini killed by Elop]

Rafy

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right? Me and my friends just go and bought a Surface Pro 1 since he need a portable device, and the screen is just right with 1080p, and with such a small screen like 12" is this resolution really needed?

You can get more web content on the screen because web content is more vertical than horizontal. Also you could now use it in protrait mode which is much better on 3:2 than on 16:9.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

12" won't replace any laptops for me: I like the portability sure, but 14-15 inches are reasonably portable with decent screen real state. In other words as a person, sure I'd love a 12 incher I can carry around for personal use. But for work? No I'm not putting a full day's work a screen that small it's no replacement for a larger screen you can carry with you.

Still the fact that it can run an i7 on that thin of a frame without causing 3rd degree burns to the touch is impressive.

I think 3:2 12" is vertically as high as 16:9 14"

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Also i'd like to point out that the Type Cover costs 129 Euros extra. So with the base model + Type Cover it will be around 930 Euros. Or Dollars if you scale the Prices 1:1

That's fucking sick as hell.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

I doubt.

very possible.... it doesnt use a lot of power therefore not a lot of heat genarated

I know its "normal" for UK prices, but damn, its £639 over here, if I'm reading the correct part of the MS store.

$799 for the i3 directly translates to £473, which I didn't expect it to cost due to taxes, but damn I didn't think it would be that much more.

Was hoping that it would be about £550 with taxes, but guess I was wrong.

I'm still interested, but will need to be sure that it does what I want.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I have to wait for it to release to actually use student discounts >.>

Also I noticed they don't offer the same things as they did with the surface pro 2, the 2 years of software?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Dude, you are planning wrong, let me help you.

Get the i3/i5 surface

use the 500-900 dollars you save to build a gaming desktop that will blow almost any gaming laptop out of the water.  You are welcome.

but i built my  £2000 gaming PC like last year :P

Try and fit two 880M's, two HDD's in RAID an optical drive and a higher clocked CPU. into the surface Pro. The guy obviously forgot to mention that the consequence of having an i7 in your tablet is that it has been underclocked to high heaven.

If you need certain stuff such as graphical power and mobility, YES you are not going to look for an utrabook, tablet, or really anything cheap. Your argument is also the reason why you wouldn't get an ultrabook or a mac. If you only need a device that is portable, has a powerful enough cpu, and don't need a ton of space then a tablet can actually meet your needs. Of course it's not going to be right for everyone but if you look at ultrabooks or most laptop the Surface Pro 3 is just capable. If you need something special like you described then YES you won't get a tablet.

If it had Thunderbolt and WIDI I'd believe their claims that Surface Pro 3 is a desktop and laptop replacement.

Member 4250

Yea, I never used a mac I would like something as portable as the surface but still powerful.  It's between this and the UX301LA.

I considered buying the UX301LA but it isn't as good as it sounds. It has somewhat poor battery life and it has actually less power than the cheaper UX302LG because that has dedicated GPU. Not really worth spending the extra unless you really need the 1440p screen.

They are not, virtually all the elites use mac notebooks as their daily driver.  I heard a stat from years ago that in the 1000 dollar + notebook market, apple had well over 70-90% of that market.  That was from a few years ago, so it may have changed, but they own that market.

The reasons why are not magical, nice designs coupled to good screens and battery life.  The software argument always seemed secondary, but the true believers say that's the biggest thing.

If you have seen some of the 1000+ dollar offerings from pc makers, it's pathetic.  Lenovo dill well with the yoga 2, but hp and dell have fallen behind big time.  I actually like the spectre 13 notebook, but it's just not exotic enough to capture the mindshare that even the yoga 2 and not the new surface 3 has.  Dell has better designs now, but like many other pc makers, they need to work on weight and screen quality.  And more form factors.  And for F*CKS sakes, stop F*CKING reserving higher quality screens for your 2000 dollar plus machines.

Looking at YOU dell xps 15 to get that 3200x1800 display.  You need to drop over 2 grand to get that display, jesus effing christ.  The surface pro 3 gets a decent screen option all the way down at the base level.

HP/Acer/Asus/Dell/toshiba need to look out at the landscape and stop bringing knives to a gun fight, the game has been raised, rise to the occasion and be better, or go the way of sony/samsung (on notebooks).

I've read that Samsung is moving away from the traditional laptop market starting in 2015 and concentrating more on the mobile market and the chromebooks. Sony has also announced that it will no longer build laptops and has sold the Vaio brand. So there are going to be less premium laptops to choose from.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Any news on the Surface Mini?

it was apparently killed by Elop. Adding info to the OP right now.

Well then time to buy me that ASUS one ive been lusting after

Rafy, on 22 May 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

TheProfosist, on 22 May 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Any news on the Surface Mini?

Not from what I've read. http://www.wpcentral.com/more-info-microsofts-postponed-surface-mini

Well then time to buy me that ASUS one ive been lusting after

Yeah, I don't blame you. If Microsoft made a small baytrail Surface with full windows 8.1 that is cheap they would make so much money. I'd love to have something like the Dell Venue Pro 8. It's an excellent device at a good price point, I still remember when the CEO of Dell Italy showed it to me in a press conference I went to.

well the rumors I heard were end of may and since i dont have the money yet ill be waiting in hopes. Basiclaly I want the ASUS one with integrated-ish keyboard like the normal surface and surface pro.

Yeah, I don't blame you. If Microsoft made a small baytrail Surface with full windows 8.1 that is cheap they would make so much money. I'd love to have something like the Dell Venue Pro 8. It's an excellent device at a good price point, I still remember when the CEO of Dell Italy showed it to me in a press conference I went to.

this be the one ive had my eve one since there was first word of it before CES http://goo.gl/w0Mmpo

3x2 aspect ratio, highest contrast ratios in the industry.

Those ratios are not only not related but make no sense in the sentence.... :huh:

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

This came out right after the presentation :http://bgr.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-surface-mini-release/

says it was dropped due to the fact it ran Windows RT well Daaaaaaaa!!!!! Why do you think I want that ASUS? Full 8.1, 8in size, micro sd slot, and wacom digitizer!

TheProfosist, on 22 May 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

well the rumors I heard were end of may and since i dont have the money yet ill be waiting in hopes. Basiclaly I want the ASUS one with integrated-ish keyboard like the normal surface and surface pro.

I've never tried using any W8.1 tablet with screen smaller than 10". I wonder how's the overall usability and navigation with a screen that small. Also don;t you think the keyboard will be too small to be comfortable to use?

Rafy, on 22 May 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

This came out right after the presentation :http://bgr.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-surface-mini-release/

Haha dem people love to used the word 'reportly' and make it sound confirmed. I'm still hoping for the Surface Mini to come out soon,but I honestly don't think it will have a full W8.1 in it. That will eat up the sales of the Surface 2 if they are priced too close to it.

I've never tried using any W8.1 tablet with screen smaller than 10". I wonder how's the overall usability and navigation with a screen that small. Also don;t you think the keyboard will be too small to be comfortable to use?

It's really satisfying, specifically the Dell one has a dock and a keyboard. It's not that small when you actually get to use it.

Haha dem people love to used the word 'reportly' and make it sound confirmed. I'm still hoping for the Surface Mini to come out soon,but I honestly don't think it will have a full W8.1 in it. That will eat up the sales of the Surface 2 if they are priced too close to it.

*looks over at his Eee PC 701* I think I would be fine ;) . It would be better than having to lug something like the ThinkPad Bluetooth Keyboard with Trackpoint around, which is my current plan.

It's really satisfying, specifically the Dell one has a dock and a keyboard. It's not that small when you actually get to use it.

I think the wacom digitizer on the ASUS would help a ton for desktop usage.

mhm 1440p and no dedicated gpu. thought they would do like a very powerfull one so you can do heavy multitasking even on an additional monitor or perhaps play some games

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.