New Surface Pro 3 officially announced by Microsoft. Designed to destroy laptops.[Update2: Surface Mini killed by Elop]

Rafy

Starts at $800.  That's a pretty darn good price comparing it to other similar specced ultrabooks/tablets... let alone comparing it to other devices with proper stylus support.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

The pen got a big downgrade.

It is only 256 pressure level not 1024. Artists won't be too pleased.

It could suggest using N-trig pen which requires a AAAA (yes, 4x A's) battery, instead of none.

The pen got a big downgrade.

It is only 256 pressure level not 1024. Artists won't be too pleased.

It could suggest using N-trig pen which requires a AAAA (yes, 4x A's) battery, instead of none.

Was thinking the same thing. If I recall correctly, Samsung owns a controlling share of Wacom?  Maybe they had something to do with it because this product obliterates their note pro ten times over.  Although personally I don't notice a difference in pressure levels between ntrig and wacom pens on laptops/tablets. 

It's not 1440p isnt it? Unless I'm wrong 2,160 x 1,440 meaning 2,160 : 1,440 = 3 : 2 aspect ratio right? It seem pretty stupid to me... even the old day monitor is at 4:3 and that's already too small to me (I always want something wider, not higher, like 21:9 etc) and Seem like it still dont have a dedicated GPU, and around 2000$ price point we have plenty of good laptop with everything the Pro 3 have, even better, at 2300$ we have the New Razer Blade Pro 14" which have the i7 core, 1800p screen, dedicated 800 series GPU, touch screen, backlit keyboard (the one of Pro 3 cost 130$ more adding to the 2000$ price point isnt it) and the only downside is the thickness (twice as much as Pro 3) and weight (also twice as much as Pro 3)

So yeah... still not enough to convince me to use it, just IMO

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Wait am I understanding this correctly? You get an i3 with Intel 4400 for $800? Great deal guys. Now who is saying that Apple is still overpriced?

However, I have to say that it looks great and seems to be quite well designed. Passive cooling and all.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Was thinking the same thing. If I recall correctly, Samsung owns a controlling share of Wacom?  Maybe they had something to do with it because this product obliterates their note pro ten times over.  Although personally I don't notice a difference in pressure levels between ntrig and wacom pens on laptops/tablets.

No, it's not because of that. The Surface Pro 1 and 2 used Wacom.

My guess is that the Surface Pro 1 and 2 was targeted at artists, where Photoshop and all drawing apps supports Wacom pen pressure sensitivity. NTrig does not (maybe recently with some programs).

The problem with Wacom is the reduction in precision on corners, and needs calibration if you want to write and want really good tracking. This is because the entire pen is being tracked, so as we all hold the pen differently when we right, a calibration process is needed.

Here they pushed note taking big time, so it explains N-Trig switch where you don't need a calibration process when writing.

Now I can't comment on this device yet until I get my hands on it in some fashion, but from what I tried with N-Trig and read about, and tried at the stop on multiple device

-> Battery on the pen is an issue (no battery indicator either)

-> You can't write tiny like you can with Wacom

-> You can't draw quickly, especially if you do a circle or arcs, where it doesn't track quickly, and lags around

-> The written text when writing recursively doesn't look like on paper, sure to the much reduce pressure points. It's like if you had none.

To me, once you calibrate the Wacom pen, it is truly awesome.

You just have to do that. But at least you do it once and you are done.

It's not 1440p isnt it? Unless I'm wrong 2,160 x 1,440 meaning 2,160 : 1,440 = 3 : 2 aspect ratio right? It seem pretty stupid to me... even the old day monitor is at 4:3 and that's already too small to me (I always want something wider, not higher, like 21:9 etc) and Seem like it still dont have a dedicated GPU, and around 2000$ price point we have plenty of good laptop with everything the Pro 3 have, even better, at 2300$ we have the New Razer Blade Pro 14" which have the i7 core, 1800p screen, dedicated 800 series GPU, touch screen, backlit keyboard (the one of Pro 3 cost 130$ more adding to the 2000$ price point isnt it) and the only downside is the thickness (twice as much as Pro 3) and weight (also twice as much as Pro 3)

So yeah... still not enough to convince me to use it, just IMO

Dude not for gaming at all... Stupid comparison. Yes, I think the price is somewhat steep, even a lot higher than comparable Apple hardware. Fitting a dedicated GPU into the 15Watt thermal envelope is not physically possible. I hate how people always say this. It is simple physics. Please understand this. It's like complaining that your Gigabyte Brix Pro or Mac Mini do not have dual 780Tis. Aside from being pointlessly expensive for a task that they were never designed for, this is also not possible from an engineering point of view.

Rant over...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Wait am I understanding this correctly? You get an i3 with Intel 4400 for $800?

Yeah.

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Dude not for gaming at all... Stupid comparison. Yes, I think the price is somewhat steep, even a lot higher than comparable Apple hardware. Fitting a dedicated GPU into the 15Watt thermal envelope is not physically possible. I hate how people always say this. It is simple physics. Please understand this. It's like complaining that your Gigabyte Brix Pro or Mac Mini do not have dual 780Tis. Aside from being pointlessly expensive for a task that they were never designed for, this is also not possible from an engineering point of view.

Rant over...

I know that it's not a gaming rig, but it's just that without those things I dont really understand how the price go up to ~ 2000$, up to neck against the crazy powerful laptop with GPU and all.

For example, we have this thing at 1400$ price point

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T300LA-DH51T-Detachable-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00EPGHAZ8/ref=psdc1_t2_B00FFJ0HUE_B00EPGHAZ8

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I would have no use for it if I can't game on it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I would have no use for it if I can't game on it.

Then don't buy it. Period.

No, it's not because of that. The Surface Pro 1 and 2 used Wacom.

My guess is that the Surface Pro 1 and 2 was targeted at artists, where Photoshop and all drawing apps supports Wacom pen pressure sensitivity. NTrig does not (maybe recently with some programs).

The problem with Wacom is the reduction in precision on corners, and needs calibration if you want to write and want really good tracking. This is because the entire pen is being tracked, so as we all hold the pen differently when we right, a calibration process is needed.

Here they pushed note taking big time, so it explains N-Trig switch where you don't need a calibration process when writing.

Now I can't comment on this device yet until I get my hands on it in some fashion, but from what I tried with N-Trig and read about, and tried at the stop on multiple device

-> Battery on the pen is an issue (no battery indicator either)

-> You can't write tiny like you can with Wacom

-> You can't draw quickly, especially if you do a circle or arcs, where it doesn't track quickly, and lags around

-> The written text when writing recursively doesn't look like on paper, sure to the much reduce pressure points. It's like if you had none.

To me, once you calibrate the Wacom pen, it is truly awesome.

You just have to do that. But at least you do it once and you are done.

I used to have the original Note 10.1 and as soon as you got close to the edge, all hell broke loose, otherwise it was super snappy and almost never lagged or did anything weird.  Comparing writing on the surface pro 2 to the Sony Duo 13, I agree Wacom is better.  They showed a photoshop demo with it so I'd hope if it was Ntrig they'd have proper drivers for everything.

I know that it's not a gaming rig, but it's just that without those things I dont really understand how the price go up to ~ 2000$, up to neck against the crazy powerful laptop with GPU and all.

For example, we have this thing at 1400$ price point

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T300LA-DH51T-Detachable-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00EPGHAZ8/ref=psdc1_t2_B00FFJ0HUE_B00EPGHAZ8

Yes, I don't understand their pricing but it is really due to the starting point. $800 for i3(15W version that is) and HD4400 is already overpriced if you ask me. The MacBook Air with i5 and HD5000 for the same price (although not as great screen) is much more reasonable. But I guess if Apple were to release a passively cooled retina macbook air then the prices will be similar...

i want this but the apps for windows in the windows store are terrible 

It is a full windows device so you don't need "apps" you can use the big boy stuff instead.

I came in here to clarify a few things: 

1. Two of the three SKUs available at launch (the i3 and i5 SKUs) are fanless. The i7 model will be actively cooled
  2. The i7 SKU will be $1549 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Then don't buy it. Period.

I won't. Comma.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right? Me and my friends just go and bought a Surface Pro 1 since he need a portable device, and the screen is just right with 1080p, and with such a small screen like 12" is this resolution really needed?

Yes, I don't understand their pricing but it is really due to the starting point. $800 for i3(15W version that is) and HD4400 is already overpriced if you ask me. The MacBook Air with i5 and HD5000 for the same price (although not as great screen) is much more reasonable. But I guess if Apple were to release a passively cooled retina macbook air then the prices will be similar...

You have to consider that besides the MBA having a worse screen, it also does not have a touch screen that is designed for stylus input. The i3 Surface SKU would likely be a lot cheaper without those inclusions but it wouldn't be a Surface tablet if that was the case

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right?

I'm trying to understand myself but I won't pass judgement until I've seen it in person for myself and used it.

12" won't replace any laptops for me: I like the portability sure, but 14-15 inches are reasonably portable with decent screen real state. In other words as a person, sure I'd love a 12 incher I can carry around for personal use. But for work? No I'm not putting a full day's work a screen that small it's no replacement for a larger screen you can carry with you.

Still the fact that it can run an i7 on that thin of a frame without causing 3rd degree burns to the touch is impressive.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I always liked surface but it's wasn't there yet.
now with gen 3 its final as amazing as it should be... but to expansive for me...

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right? Me and my friends just go and bought a Surface Pro 1 since he need a portable device, and the screen is just right with 1080p, and with such a small screen like 12" is this resolution really needed?

They chose the size and aspect ratio in an effort to mimic the size of a standard sheet of paper (8.5x11").  For notetakers this is extremely useful as it makes the transition from pen/paper to tablet easier and if you want to share or print your notes they won't have to be scaled.

They chose the size and aspect ratio in an effort to mimic the size of a standard sheet of paper (8.5x11").  For notetakers this is extremely useful as it makes the transition from pen/paper to tablet easier and if you want to share or print your notes they won't have to be scaled.

That... actually make sense :D