Help with gsync questions

Allena
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

All of these modern high end displays support VRR, so you enable GSync like any other display. 

I’m back again haha😅 I’ve been looking to buy a 1440p OLED monitor with 360Hz. The ones I’ve been considering are the Alienware AW2725DF and MSI MPG 271QRX. But I haven’t seen that either of them are G-SYNC compatible. I have looked around and seen that VESA AdaptiveSync works similarly to G-SYNC compatibility. Does VESA AdaptiveSync work the same way as G-SYNC, or is there any difference? So, would a monitor with VESA AdaptiveSync have the same performance as one that’s specifically made with G-SYNC compatibility? Sorry if I’m just being dumb or something, but it’s so hard to keep up with all this new stuff. Anyways, thank you all for the help!

All of these modern high end displays support VRR, so you enable GSync like any other display. 

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

So it’s just like a monitor that has gsync compatibility?

7 minutes ago, Allena said:

Yes

2 hours ago, Allena said:

Sometimes you can have issues with displays that are not specifically "G-SYNC" or "G-SYNC Compatible". My Nixeus panel had issues a while back with G-Sync, specifically certain applications or games wouldn't work without constant black outs. Disabling G-Sync resolved the issue, and I haven't tried it since. 

Just a forewarning that you may have issues. I certainly hope you don't though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

271QRX is a brand new 360Hz QD-OLED, it has full GSync support. 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/mpg-271qrx-qd-oled

What constitues "true GSync" differs greatly today vs. what it did 6-7 years ago. 

Monitors Unboxed has a nice pair of videos that gets you up to date on the state of VRR. 

23 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

271QRX is a brand new 360Hz QD-OLED, it has full GSync support. 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/mpg-271qrx-qd-oled

What constitues "true GSync" differs greatly today vs. what it did 6-7 years ago. 

Monitors Unboxed has a nice pair of videos that gets you up to date on the state of VRR.

None of this demonstrates that either monitor will or won't have issues, especially since they don't appear on NVIDIA's list of "G-SYNC Ultimate", "G-SYNC Compatible", or "G-SYNC". 

Just because it has VRR support doesn't mean it won't have issues with G-Sync. It's simply a case of "we don't know what we don't know". 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

None of this demonstrates that either monitor will or won't have issues, especially since they don't appear on NVIDIA's list of "G-SYNC Ultimate", "G-SYNC Compatible", or "G-SYNC". 

Just because it has VRR support doesn't mean it won't have issues with G-Sync. It's simply a case of "we don't know what we don't know". 

Sure, as long as you discount all the owners and reviewers that haven't experienced an issue. On a modern mid to high end gaming display in 2024 if you don't function with GSync you simply won't sell. Reviews would destroy you.

Vesa's VRR implementation, AMD FreeSync and Nvidia G-Sync basically all do the same thing. And most of the time, with modern models you can use every combination, no matter what graphics card you have. There are a few exceptions, but if the monitor in question has been on the market for a while, that should show in the user reviews.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Sure, as long as you discount all the owners and reviewers that haven't experienced an issue.

That still doesn't mean people won't have issues. Adding positive reviews into the mix, either by tech reviewers or individuals,  simply decreases the chance that you'll have issues. There's ALWAYS a chance. The proof is here on LTT on a daily basis. 

I'm not saying the user will have issues - the chances are pretty low. But the value is not zero. 

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That still doesn't mean people won't have issues. Adding positive reviews into the mix, either by tech reviewers or individuals,  simply decreases the chance that you'll have issues. There's ALWAYS a chance. The proof is here on LTT on a daily basis. 

I'm not saying the user will have issues - the chances are pretty low. But the value is not zero. 

There have also been multiple "G-Sync compatible" monitors that turn out to have issues, like many of Samsungs Odyssey monitors. If you want to go with that mindset, you're never safe.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.