New Surface Pro 3 officially announced by Microsoft. Designed to destroy laptops.[Update2: Surface Mini killed by Elop]

Rafy

mhm 1440p and no dedicated gpu. thought they would do like a very powerfull one so you can do heavy multitasking even on an additional monitor or perhaps play some games

Its not true 1440p due to the aspect ratio, but you can connect additional monitors upto 4k apparently via the dock.

Has HD4400 which will be okay for some light indies or lower GPU intensive games, though probably not at the full resolution.

It is more a work laptop/tablet, gaming "tablets" get big, like the Razer one.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Seems fishy.............almost apple like..............lol dat pricing doe like minus well just build a custom pc with swag components, invent a shrink ray, and ur set guys

Keep in mind that Intel 4th gen Core i U series CPU can output 4K at only 30Hz, despite using DisplayPort (artificial limit?!)

And Y series (Core i3 model of the Surface Pro 3) max resolution is 2560x1600 @ 60Hz

Only the M and Desktop version of Intel integrated graphics can output 4K at 60Hz.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

(go down to: "Display and Audio Features Comparison")

Keep in mind that Intel 4th gen Core i U series CPU can output 4K at only 30Hz, despite using DisplayPort (artificial limit?!)

And Y series (Core i3 model of the Surface Pro 3) max resolution is 2560x1600 @ 60Hz

Only the M and Desktop version of Intel integrated graphics can output 4K at 60Hz.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

(go down to: "Display and Audio Features Comparison")

its a bandwidth limit to some extent also that the UHD spec wasnt necessarily complete when DP 1.2 was completed. 1080p@120hz is the same bandwidth and 4K@30hz roughly which is why that works perfectly for HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2.

That could purely be based on the processing power of the GPU's or the chips that are in them. Kinda how ivy bridge iGPU couldnt go over 1920x1200.

Then don't buy it. Period.

Well you can game on a surface. I have the surface pro 1 and im playing heartstone or age of empires 2 fine on it. Its not ideal because the screen isnt big but its ok for light gaming. Which is cool when you are a student with a gaming laptop and a surface for work.

Jeez, I was literally ragging on how dumb microsoft has been recently two days ago. And then they blow me away with this. Sadly I can't afford the i5 + 8gb one just yet (No way am I getting 4gb of ram in 2014),

but maybe further down I can get one.

If/when I get one though this will be awesome for me. I use Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop all the time for my school newspaper and not having a portable device to work on them is really killing me. (I have no laptop) I have so much free time in my various classes that I could be getting a bunch of work done, except I don't have a device to access files on. (Adobe files that is.) The touch screen would really help when I need to sketch out designs for page layouts. Plus the difference in using a laptop vs a tablet is negligible for me since I almost always have a sturdy spot to put my device on like a table. For whatever reason that position is better for me than just resting it on my lap.

My only real beef with this device is the lack of thunderbolt, because this means I can't use a external GPU dock for this. If the 4th gen adds that ability I'll probably be forced to throw my money at MS.

With all that said I'll still wait until I can use one IRL before making a purchase decision. (Best buy should have them on display in a few days.)

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

my only questions are:

why not just wait for the next intel cpu's before releasing a new Surface? was there a real reason to release 2 surface models in one cpu cycle?

why not put in a thunderbolt instead of mini displayport? it would allow for more expansion.

and is the N-Digitizer better or worse than a wacom? is there a difference?

Other than that, it seems pretty cool. I like the new keyboard and that if folds and has a larger trackpad.

(sent from my surface pro 1)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

my only questions are:

why not just wait for the next intel cpu's before releasing a new Surface? was there a real reason to release 2 surface models in one cpu cycle?

why not put in a thunderbolt instead of mini displayport? it would allow for more expansion.

and is the N-Digitizer better or worse than a wacom? is there a difference?

Other than that, it seems pretty cool. I like the new keyboard and that if folds and has a larger trackpad.

(sent from my surface pro 1)

I don't know why they released the Surface Pro 3. The Pro 2 was being sold out continuously. Granted Microsoft was not manufacturing large quantity to avoid the mess of over producing them like they did with the first gen Surface products, but still.

Maybe the company saw that the Pro 3 would cater more people, and based on what I am reading on forums, more people are genuinely more interested in the product.

Thunderbolt requires additional circuitry, and power to operate. In addition, you have license fees, and there is no product for it, beside over priced external HDD's. WHat they should have done is put a second USB 3.0, which before it was a pass for Microsoft, as there was genuinely no room for, but now you do, so no excuse.

N-Trig technology (assuming it uses that for sure), has ups and down from Wacom solution.

Please note: the bellow comparison is based on product that are available previously. If N-Trig for example, has just released some improved product, or other OEMs where using the lowest end product, there then the bellow comparison could be wrong. It's best to wait for reviews.

Wacom:

-> 1024 pressure level detection

-> fine tracking for small gesture

-> fast tracking

-> eraser button at the top of the pen

-> no battery requires for the pen

-> pen can't be in metal (carbon fiber or plastic is fine)

-> requires special calibration for the best precision for hand writing (80-point calibration: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/8219-surface-tweak-tool-surface-pro-2-release.html)

-> Not great on corners

-> Nearly every drawing software support it

N-Trig:

-> 256 pressure level

-> while you can write small, it doesn't track as well as Wacom's

-> much slower tracking but not awful

-> no eraser functionality, but has a second button on the pen on the pen which can be set to be an eraser. Could be harder to reach, based on your hand and pen

-> requires a button cell battery or a AAAA (yes, 4x A) battery - http://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-E96BP-2-Alkaline-Batteries-AAAA/dp/B00006IB79/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400725161&sr=8-4&keywords=AAAA+battery

-> No battery indicator

-> pen can be in metal

-> no calibration required

-> great on corners

-> does not require the digitizer to be wider than the screen to try and track better the pen (allows thinner borders on the device)

-> No software supports it (works, but no pen pressure tracking). You have to wait for Photoshop to support Windows Ink API's (new to Win8), to get support. No news for other software. Office 2013 supports Windows Ink APIs, same for OneNote Windows 8 App, of course, so it works there no problem.

As you can see, Wacom's is best for drawing, while N-Trig is best for writhing. However, if you do calibrate the Wacom pen to how you hold then pen when writhing, then you are set.

So, it up to you to see which is best.

I don't know why they released the Surface Pro 3. The Pro 2 was being sold out continuously. Granted Microsoft was not manufacturing large quantity to avoid the mess of over producing them like they did with the first gen Surface products, but still.

Maybe the company saw that the Pro 3 would cater more people, and based on what I am reading on forums, more people are genuinely more interested in the product.

Thunderbolt requires additional circuitry, and power to operate. In addition, you have license fees, and there is no product for it, beside over priced external HDD's. WHat they should have done is put a second USB 3.0, which before it was a pass for Microsoft, as there was genuinely no room for, but now you do, so no excuse.

N-Trig technology (assuming it uses that for sure), has ups and down from Wacom solution.

Please note: the bellow comparison is based on product that are available previously. If N-Trig for example, has just released some improved product, or other OEMs where using the lowest end product, there then the above comparison could be wrong. It's best to wait for reviews.

Wacom:

-> 1024 pressure level detection

-> fine tracking for small gesture

-> fast tracking

-> eraser button at the top of the pen

-> no battery requires for the pen

-> pen can't be in metal (carbon fiber or plastic is fine)

-> requires special calibration for the best precision for hand writing (80-point calibration: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/8219-surface-tweak-tool-surface-pro-2-release.html)

-> Not great on corners

-> Nearly every drawing software support it

N-Trig:

-> 256 pressure level

-> while you can write small, it doesn't track as well as Wacom's

-> much slower tracking but not awful

-> no eraser functionality, but has a second button on the pen on the pen which can be set to be an eraser. Could be harder to reach, based on your hand and pen

-> requires a button cell battery or a AAAA (yes, 4x A) battery - http://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-E96BP-2-Alkaline-Batteries-AAAA/dp/B00006IB79/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400725161&sr=8-4&keywords=AAAA+battery

-> No battery indicator

-> pen can be in metal

-> no calibration required

-> great on corners

-> does not require the digitizer to be wider than the screen to try and track better the pen (allows thinner borders on the device)

-> No software supports it (works, but no pen pressure tracking). You have to wait for Photoshop to support Windows Ink API's (new to Win8), to get support. No news for other software. Office 2013 supports Windows Ink APIs, same for OneNote Windows 8 App, of course, so it works there no problem.

As you can see, Wacom's is best for drawing, while N-Trig is best for writhing. However, if you do calibrate the Wacom pen to how you hold then pen when writhing, then you are set.

So, it up to you to see which is best.

I remember watching Bill Gates talk about how he feels the next "thing" would be writing based tools (tablets) that can replace the traditional notebook and pen. 

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

@GoodBytes you can get 6x AAAA out of 9v batteries!

I know its "normal" for UK prices, but damn, its £639 over here, if I'm reading the correct part of the MS store.

$799 for the i3 directly translates to £473, which I didn't expect it to cost due to taxes, but damn I didn't think it would be that much more.

Was hoping that it would be about £550 with taxes, but guess I was wrong.

I'm still interested, but will need to be sure that it does what I want.

damn we always end up getting screwed with the price were did you read that?

Seems fishy.............almost apple like..............lol dat pricing doe like minus well just build a custom pc with swag components, invent a shrink ray, and ur set guys

errrrr 

english_motherfucker_do_you_speak_it_by_

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

-snip-

Yea I'm not sure why they needed to release it now, it seems logical to just wait for a new cpu cycle (with probably better power-savings performance).

As for the thunderbolt, i just think giving that option (or like you said, another usb port) would have been nice for more expansion. You almost have to use a hub if you are doing some work with the surface which is annoying.

And i guess the Wacom technology still seems better since it is more commonly supported and doesn't require batteries in their pens (i'm assuming that's why the new pens are fatter).

Overall, its still a mixed bag for me as the Surface lineup (although i have one, i don't necessarily recommend it). There are just some tradeoffs that you have to make when choosing this product.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Looks really neat! I hope they improve the build quality. I remember seeing iFixit giving it a 0/10 for fixibillity. The whole thing was glued together. :P

This was of course the first gen or so.

damn we always end up getting screwed with the price were did you read that?

Microsoft store, so pretty official unfortunately. 

My only hope is that it will be towards the end of the year I'll be looking into get a laptop or similar, so hopefully there will be some sale/student discount/both.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Microsoft store, so pretty official unfortunately. 

My only hope is that it will be towards the end of the year I'll be looking into get a laptop or similar, so hopefully there will be some sale/student discount/both.

Microsoft has 10% off for student. They drop the price of the Surface 1 and Pro 1, but never the Surface 2 and Pro 2.

Then again the gen 1 didn't sale and Microsoft over produce them, and the gen 2 is selling fairly well, and Microsoft was producing them based on current demand which means, often sold out.

Microsoft has 10% off for student. They drop the price of the Surface 1 and Pro 1, but never the Surface 2 and Pro 2.

Right now if you use the code graduation (caps) at checkout they'll take $100 off any pc over $600 idk if it applies to the surface pro 3 but it's worth a shot

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

It has mini-DisplayPort (DisplayPort 1.2) connector, so it support daisy chaining of 4x 1920x1200 monitors from 1 plug on the device, no problem.

Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the info :)

Sorry forgot to specify, it can run in total 4 display. Not 4 display in addition to the Surface Pro display.

Jeez, I was literally ragging on how dumb microsoft has been recently two days ago. And then they blow me away with this. Sadly I can't afford the i5 + 8gb one just yet (No way am I getting 4gb of ram in 2014),

but maybe further down I can get one.

If/when I get one though this will be awesome for me. I use Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop all the time for my school newspaper and not having a portable device to work on them is really killing me. (I have no laptop) I have so much free time in my various classes that I could be getting a bunch of work done, except I don't have a device to access files on. (Adobe files that is.) The touch screen would really help when I need to sketch out designs for page layouts. Plus the difference in using a laptop vs a tablet is negligible for me since I almost always have a sturdy spot to put my device on like a table. For whatever reason that position is better for me than just resting it on my lap.

My only real beef with this device is the lack of thunderbolt, because this means I can't use a external GPU dock for this. If the 4th gen adds that ability I'll probably be forced to throw my money at MS.

With all that said I'll still wait until I can use one IRL before making a purchase decision. (Best buy should have them on display in a few days.)

Lack of thunderbolt aside, it's a winner.  I'll be picking one up come June, at the expense of the company :)  I have an HP ElitePad through work and although it's nice, it just isn't sufficient for me, weak processor and 2GB of RAM is very evident.  I'll go a little thicker and amore weight for this new Surface.  Anywho, liking the accessories such as this....  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Sensu-Capacitive-Brush-and-Stylus/productID.258060800

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I would totally get this if I were in the market for anything of the sort. Right now my original Surface RT is still managing, though a digitizer would make note taking much better; a capacitive stylus just doesn't cut it. Still, it's not enough of a problem that I'd put several hundred dollars into a replacement quite yet.