New Surface Pro 3 officially announced by Microsoft. Designed to destroy laptops.[Update2: Surface Mini killed by Elop]

Rafy

I would love to but one...

But the price along with a type cover at + $1,000, I think I'll wait. 

"Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay

To mould Me man? Did I solicit thee

From darkness to promote me?" —John MiltonParadise Lost (X.743–5)

Wait am I understanding this correctly? You get an i3 with Intel 4400 for $800? Great deal guys. Now who is saying that Apple is still overpriced?

However, I have to say that it looks great and seems to be quite well designed. Passive cooling and all.

Yes, I don't understand their pricing but it is really due to the starting point. $800 for i3(15W version that is) and HD4400 is already overpriced if you ask me. The MacBook Air with i5 and HD5000 for the same price (although not as great screen) is much more reasonable. But I guess if Apple were to release a passively cooled retina macbook air then the prices will be similar...

stop directly comparing it to the MBA or infact any laptop its not a laptop its a tablet. its what tablets needed to evolve into.

That's the point, it's nor a tablet nor laptop, it's ... laptablet !

you can useit as both !

or a tabtop

Wow it would seam that MS are coming out swinging on this that looks awesome, TBH it looks like something apple would have done and thats a compliment. if i had the money i would defiantly get one.  the price does seam a little on the high side but still i think its gonna be worth it especially of your in design very impressed MS

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Well it has already failed like laptops failed to destroy the desktop. These form-factors should co-exist with one another as they all cater to different distinct needs. The desktop is for high performance tasks and high productivity but with poor portability and large size. The laptop is a small form-factor portable yet powerful desktop however with less powerful hardware than a desktop and with a short battery life. The tablet meets the lowest needs of the market with great portability and (should have) good battery life and enough hardware to run media and some productivity programs. That is how I see them. I don't understand why Microsoft and some other companies are trying to make it out like Tablets are the bee all and end all when they can't be simply because their form-factor doesn't allow them to be like that and they never will simply because they are smaller than laptops and even smaller than a desktop.

To put it in another way the bigger the form-factor the more hardware and the more powerful the hardware can be. Even with new technologies that claim to reduce heat output and power consumption it just means that the larger form-factors can get even more hardware in them. Even if we could completely get rid of all heat output (which is impossible I might add, 100% efficiency is impossible) it just means you can get more in the bigger form-factor compared to the smaller form-factor. It seems obvious when you word it like this but technologies like integrated graphics and HSA make it out like they will become more powerful than having separate CPU and GPU when that simply isn't the case as room is simply not a problem in a full sized desktop case or a huge server floor.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Looks awesome.... but that price.... ouch!

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Will you be able to have two external monitors hooked up to the Surface Pro 3?

I'm praying it will, cause it looks like the perfect PC (awesome for travel, and perfectly fine for days at the office).

i am not surprised about that pricing on the i7. but that's one thing stopping me from buying one. its price. i never thought tablets were good enough. but now they are, and another argument to make is for people like me, at that price i could buy one awesome gaming laptop. yeah its big and it defeats the purpose and aim of this product just by mentioning laptop but it could do a lot more than it. although i do think this product at the higher prices are aimed at certain people

I'm praying it will, cause it looks like the perfect PC (awesome for travel, and perfectly fine for days at the office).

They said it can connect to a 4k monitor so 2 1080p monitor should be no problem.

3:2 screen? Ya blew it Microsoft...

Other than that (which I understand why they did but it's not what I want from a tablet) it looks really nice. Too bad it will probably be really expensive like the other tablets from Microsoft.

It has mini-DisplayPort (DisplayPort 1.2) connector, so it support daisy chaining of 4x 1920x1200 monitors from 1 plug on the device, no problem.

Seems kinda... awesome?

There are some Android apps I would want to use on my tablet though.  Dual-boot 8.1 and Android?  Yum.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

amazing product, can't wait

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

This is something that I'm interested. I've been interested in the Surface line since the first gen but they just haven't been mature enough for me. This might be the generation when I buy one.

As an avid traveller something of this form factor is very convenient. I usually carry my laptop and my iPad when I travel and when I include my over the ear headphones then my electronics alone are a carry on bag. Something like this can replace two devices with minimal (I'm assuming) sacrifices to both portability and functionality.

lol, thinking about buying this but this is kinda funny.

post-11646-0-64295900-1400625054_thumb.p

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

News reporters. They must use Apple products for some reason.

this, i saw a few photos of the verge trailer of this year CES, like 20 out of 20 where on MBP's, the video editing guys were the only ones that weren't on a mac, (and using desktops), they have to be subsidised by the company, i don't see another reason why the 100% of employes carry one

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right? Me and my friends just go and bought a Surface Pro 1 since he need a portable device, and the screen is just right with 1080p, and with such a small screen like 12" is this resolution really needed?

The closer you get to 1:1, the more screen area you have.  You also get more vertical viewing space, which is nice for everything but watching movies and some games.  But then, this is the surface PRO remember?  Still perfectly fine for normal video viewing, and it looks like it can easily output video to 4k for external displays when needed.  Also, even though the screen is only 12 inches, it actually has more screen area than the 13.3" macbook air because of the aspect ratio, on top of being much higher resolution and higher quality.  

That note on high contrast ratios was welcome.  

It's a very nice device, if I was one of microofts hardware partners like dell/hp/lenovo/etc, I'd be worried, they are embarrassing them.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

You had me at "RUNS WINDOWS," the BEST operating system.

Well, back to school comes early for me with this :)

The school market would be a great target for this, tons of newly minted college students with over a grand of their parents/states/private money to burn on new hardware, this serves as a portable notebook/tablet/note taking device with the enhanced palm rejection features.  

It still won't entice most kids away from buying a mac, but it is a solid effort at luring the non bandwagon crowd.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

The closer you get to 1:1, the more screen area you have.  You also get more vertical viewing space, which is nice for everything but watching movies and some games.  But then, this is the surface PRO remember?  Still perfectly fine for normal video viewing, and it looks like it can easily output video to 4k for external displays when needed.  Also, even though the screen is only 12 inches, it actually has more screen area than the 13.3" macbook air because of the aspect ratio, on top of being much higher resolution and higher quality.  

That note on high contrast ratios was welcome.  

It's a very nice device, if I was one of microofts hardware partners like dell/hp/lenovo/etc, I'd be worried, they are embarrassing them.

They should be setting a goal to make similar products otherwise they seem cheap by today's demands.

The school market would be a great target for this, tons of newly minted college students with over a grand of their parents/states/private money to burn on new hardware, this serves as a portable notebook/tablet/note taking device with the enhanced palm rejection features.  

It still won't entice most kids away from buying a mac, but it is a solid effort at luring the non bandwagon crowd.

Yea, I never used a mac I would like something as portable as the surface but still powerful.  It's between this and the UX301LA.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

i am not surprised about that pricing on the i7. but that's one thing stopping me from buying one. its price. i never thought tablets were good enough. but now they are, and another argument to make is for people like me, at that price i could buy one awesome gaming laptop. yeah its big and it defeats the purpose and aim of this product just by mentioning laptop but it could do a lot more than it. although i do think this product at the higher prices are aimed at certain people

Dude, you are planning wrong, let me help you.

Get the i3/i5 surface

use the 500-900 dollars you save to build a gaming desktop that will blow almost any gaming laptop out of the water.  You are welcome.

Dude, you are planning wrong, let me help you.

Get the i3/i5 surface

use the 500-900 dollars you save to build a gaming desktop that will blow almost any gaming laptop out of the water.  You are welcome.

I agree. With OneDrive and Windows 8 syncing of setting abilities, the Surface Pro becomes an extension of your desktop.

this, i saw a few photos of the verge trailer of this year CES, like 20 out of 20 where on MBP's, the video editing guys were the only ones that weren't on a mac, (and using desktops), they have to be subsidised by the company, i don't see another reason why the 100% of employes carry one

They are not, virtually all the elites use mac notebooks as their daily driver.  I heard a stat from years ago that in the 1000 dollar + notebook market, apple had well over 70-90% of that market.  That was from a few years ago, so it may have changed, but they own that market.

The reasons why are not magical, nice designs coupled to good screens and battery life.  The software argument always seemed secondary, but the true believers say that's the biggest thing.

If you have seen some of the 1000+ dollar offerings from pc makers, it's pathetic.  Lenovo dill well with the yoga 2, but hp and dell have fallen behind big time.  I actually like the spectre 13 notebook, but it's just not exotic enough to capture the mindshare that even the yoga 2 and not the new surface 3 has.  Dell has better designs now, but like many other pc makers, they need to work on weight and screen quality.  And more form factors.  And for F*CKS sakes, stop F*CKING reserving higher quality screens for your 2000 dollar plus machines.

Looking at YOU dell xps 15 to get that 3200x1800 display.  You need to drop over 2 grand to get that display, jesus effing christ.  The surface pro 3 gets a decent screen option all the way down at the base level.

HP/Acer/Asus/Dell/toshiba need to look out at the landscape and stop bringing knives to a gun fight, the game has been raised, rise to the occasion and be better, or go the way of sony/samsung (on notebooks).

Lol.He dropped it from ~1.8 meters and nothing happened to it :o

Not that impressive. Try 30+ ft onto a solid surface. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Also leaving gaming aside, I still cant wrap my head around the reason why would a 3:2 screen existed? Anyone can explain it to me? Even iPad is at 4:3 right? only iPhone so far have the 3:2 aspect ratio right? Me and my friends just go and bought a Surface Pro 1 since he need a portable device, and the screen is just right with 1080p, and with such a small screen like 12" is this resolution really needed?

Wooooow. 4:3 = 1.333, 3:2 = 1.5, 16:10 = 1.6. This is more widescreen than an iPad. This is a good ratio. It's close to an A sized piece of paper.

iPhones are 16:9.

Not that impressive. Try 30+ ft onto a solid surface. 

obvious troll is obvious <3