LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

22 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Data pull successful 

Validation confirmed, integrity 100%, blog post to come within the next hour. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

27 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Oh wait, this just means the passkey is working. So at least one of three clients are using it...how helpful.

Yep.  As long as the percent finished stays above 80% and you complete the WUs before the first deadline, you'll get the bonus.

I think there is another app that will give you some details about each slot folding under that user and passkey.  I'll try to look that up tomorrow.

For anyone who's using a headless client/is connecting to their client instead of using FAHControl on it directly, is it normal for the configure button to just straight up not work? I can monitor the individual slots and pause/resume them, but that's about it, and manually stopping the folding processes, editing the (surprisingly poorly documented?) config.xml directly, then restarting the folding processes every time I want to make any changes has grown to be a huge pain during this event. For CPU stuff I had to manually create the slot in the xml file, then issue FAHClient commands to change the number of cores.

And here we are closing out the first week of the event 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Baha said:

For anyone who's using a headless client/is connecting to their client instead of using FAHControl on it directly, is it normal for the configure button to just straight up not work? I can monitor the individual slots and pause/resume them, but that's about it, and manually stopping the folding processes, editing the (surprisingly poorly documented?) config.xml directly, then restarting the folding processes every time I want to make any changes has grown to be a huge pain during this event. For CPU stuff I had to manually create the slot in the xml file, then issue FAHClient commands to change the number of cores.

I have several remote systems that I manage from a single Windows system.  I don't have any issues configuring the systems remotely using the advanced control in Windows.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a reason why you are having issues.  If no one here is able to help, you may want to ask on the folding forum or folding discord.

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

So YOU'RE that one person people refer to when they say "Big pharma don't want to cure Cancer, its too profitable!"? 😛

Not quite pharma, but part of that is still at least partially true. I work in the radiation therapy portion of cancer treatment 😁

Look at the TWO ports that FAHClient listens on.  BOTH are actually required to be open to the FAHClient to get the FAHControl to work correctly, at least locally.

I had to open them both up on my older Mac OS Server firewall to get it to work, for example.  (SEND IN THE ANCIENT XEONS!)

The PPD sucks, but an extra 800W of 16 year old server CPUs will help heat while the temps drop a bunch for the next several days.  LOL

8 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

RTX 2060 ready to be recommissioned... 

Unfortunately the fans I bought are too big so she's a little mismatched 

20231107_180732.JPG

Lovin' the jank! It's absolutely beautiful 😄

1 minute ago, Captainmarino said:

Lovin' the jank! It's absolutely beautiful 😄

It's not folding month without jank 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 2800s

1 2070

rx 460,550, 560 folding now..

dont ask how on the last one thru..

win 7 and old drivers.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Crap there's supposed to be three here.

Screenshot from 2023-11-07 19-15-30.png

Edit:

Oh wait, this just means the passkey is working. So at least one of three clients are using it...how helpful.

If you look on the Recent CPUs page at the Last returned, it seems to be your Windows client that is not returning a bonus.  The Linux boxes are working fine now.

image.thumb.png.710a9300590881d94c4bf205102e8661.png

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Welp, my Colossus build has undergone some...unforseen delays in coming online. A fitting leaked and pissed coolant all over the board, SSD, and power supply. Fortunately, I escaped mostly unscathed, but I now have a dead HX1200. sigh

i also have a dead said psu from mining mobo build.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Hi, i just noticed that on Folding Power setting either on webapp or FAHControl, on "Light" setting it paused the folding process, while either "Medium" or "Full" seems to do similar wattage draw

I'm using Radeon 7900 XT, could it be because the GPU is not well optimized for Folding or there are some settings that I have to set?

P.S.

I disabled integrated graphics and CPU from folding by removing the slots on FAHControl configuration

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

8 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Hi, i just noticed that on Folding Power setting either on webapp or FAHControl, on "Light" setting it paused the folding process, while either "Medium" or "Full" seems to do similar wattage draw

I'm using Radeon 7900 XT, could it be because the GPU is not well optimized for Folding or there are some settings that I have to set?

P.S.

I disabled integrated graphics and CPU from folding by removing the slots on FAHControl configuration

https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/?lng=en

Folding power mostly refers to how many CPU threads are used which IMO its better off to set manually anyway, though maybe less important on AMD GPUs as their drivers behave differently to NVIDIA (which need a whole thread to themselves for optimum performance).

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/?lng=en

Folding power mostly refers to how many CPU threads are used which IMO its better off to set manually anyway, though maybe less important on AMD GPUs as their drivers behave differently to NVIDIA (which need a whole thread to themselves for optimum performance).

Thanks for sharing the link

I thought the preset slider behave similarly to CPU counterpart, but now I understood that it’s different

I’m probably gonna keep it automatic till I understand more on Folding concept

By the way, is there a thread about NVIDIA CMP 50HX GPU performance on folding?

Someone offer me from ex-mining rig, but I couldn’t find on Google about neither opinion nor performance/watt comparison

Edited by ImWilly
Revise NVIDIA mining card name

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

35 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Anyone have a link to that List of the Dead thread? I unfortunately have an addition to make...

Where did linus touch it at?

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

I think it's fixed, can't quite tell 🤔

Okay, NOW we're starting to get somewhere. 😆

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you look on the Recent CPUs page at the Last returned, it seems to be your Windows client that is not returning a bonus.  The Linux boxes are working fine now.

Appears that way. I might swap that Windows VM for Linux. Even if the PPD in FAH Control aren't accurate Linux is consistently higher than Windows anyways. I might get the bonus that way if in the 4 days the passkey has been correct it should have gotten one by now.

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

Anyone have a link to that List of the Dead thread? I unfortunately have an addition to make...

13 hours ago, justpoet said:

Look at the TWO ports that FAHClient listens on.  BOTH are actually required to be open to the FAHClient to get the FAHControl to work correctly, at least locally.

I had to open them both up on my older Mac OS Server firewall to get it to work, for example.  (SEND IN THE ANCIENT XEONS!)

The PPD sucks, but an extra 800W of 16 year old server CPUs will help heat while the temps drop a bunch for the next several days.  LOL

Only a single port is required to be open for FAHControl (Advanced Control) to work with remote v7 folding systems.  By default, this port 36330.  The web client uses a different port and I don't have much experience with that.

Most of my remote systems are on Linux.  I use an SSH tunnel to forward port 36330 from the remote system to my management system.  This way, I don't need to deal with firewall or fahclient configuration issues on the remote system to make the connection work.  FAHControl (and HFM) connect to localhost on whatever port I configured as part of the SSH tunnel (e.g. localhost:36331).

1 hour ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Anyone else using a Jackery to power a setup?  The APC didn’t like my power draw. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0534.thumb.jpeg.3eb713f72b175353cf310ac8a265aaa1.jpeg

I just have a big old UPS, but I would love to upgrade to one of the newer big battery packs that have solar panel inputs at some point. Can't mount solar panels on an apartment roof, but I have a little outdoor patio that would be fantastic to just put some panels on and subsidize the power cost of folding. I just haven't thought of a clean way to route the outputs from the solar panels indoors.

13 minutes ago, Baha said:

I just have a big old UPS, but I would love to upgrade to one of the newer big battery packs that have solar panel inputs at some point. Can't mount solar panels on an apartment roof, but I have a little outdoor patio that would be fantastic to just put some panels on and subsidize the power cost of folding. I just haven't thought of a clean way to route the outputs from the solar panels indoors.

I would have gotten one by now but I wouldn't feel safe with such a high capacity house fire starter, without a garage to put it in away from the main house.

55 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I would have gotten one by now but I wouldn't feel safe with such a high capacity house fire starter, without a garage to put it in away from the main house.

Ecoflow makes power stations / solar generators / Jackery-alikes that use LiFePo4 (LFP) cells instead of NMC. That chemistry's less energy-dense, but a lot more stable and good for 5 times as many cycles.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 11/7/2023 at 6:09 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

RTX 2060 ready to be recommissioned... 

Unfortunately the fans I bought are too big so she's a little mismatched 

20231107_180732.JPG

So power limited to 79% the 2060 is stable and happy, not too bad

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240