LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

Dang it. I wont reach the top50 today. Internet down all day 😄. Luckily, it's just a power line maintenance, so i'll be back soon to fold 0-24.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can you keep it plugged into mains power during the presentation?  Its unlikely it will interfere if so. 😉  It would at least reduce the point loss.  Even if you had no Internet it should continue the WU it already has and upload it once you can connect again.

Unfortunately I am going to be at a presentation that has no access to mains. I need all of the battery power I can muster...

8 hours ago, Justaphf said:

The service has to be completely stopped if you are directly editing the config files.  I fought with this issue for several rounds the first time I set up a Linux box until I figured that out.

For Linux I modified the config files directly. It should not matter if the file was modified hot it's only read-in once. So long as I restarted the fahclient.service or rebooted the whole VM the new passkey should be read-in either way. If that wasn't the case then when I added remote management that shouldn't have worked.

@leadeater I'll give it a few days but I'm still <50% what I'd expect to see. That very first big peak on my chart? 900K something? That was one Tesla P4, and my 7551P. Since then I added a second P4 & a pair of 2698v3's and I'm averaging less with double the hardware so...

1 hour ago, Oestle said:

I think my Pi 4 is only getting around 3500-4000 PPD and the jobs usually take around 2 days. (not overclocked, didn't seem to be very stable for me)

So i'm curious what it'll look like with the Pi 5 you have here.

Ill work on it tonight and we'll see. I might have to set it up headless because I can't find my micro hdmi to hdmi cable

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

29 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

For Linux I modified the config files directly. It should not matter if the file was modified hot it's only read-in once. So long as I restarted the fahclient.service or rebooted the whole VM the new passkey should be read-in either way. If that wasn't the case then when I added remote management that shouldn't have worked.

@leadeater I'll give it a few days but I'm still <50% what I'd expect to see. That very first big peak on my chart? 900K something? That was one Tesla P4, and my 7551P. Since then I added a second P4 & a pair of 2698v3's and I'm averaging less with double the hardware so...

Like they said, FAHClient writes the config file when you terminate the process so if you modify it while still running it will restore the old configuration when you restart the service.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, soccermomisqueen said:

You know... It just occured to me that I am going to be missing out on a considerable amount of points in the next 24 hours 😞

I have a presentation that I need my laptop for, and that is the only client running on my account.

This was just when I had gotten my performance tuned to get a consistent 3-3.5 MPPD with my laptop 3070 (GPU only folding since I need my CPU for other things)

3-3.5 MPPD from a laptop?! 🤯

I get that from a 1660S and 6700XT... combined!

6 hours ago, RollinLower said:

oh i have those open too, usually when folding i have tmux open in ssh with everything i want to see like this:
image.thumb.png.e14d2db3b592f465ed3fb29ade82361f.png

shield your eyes!

1340595483_cutitoff.jpg.da891f809cf19fb88d3e8726718dca63.jpg

Indiana Jones Face Melting GIF - Indiana Jones Face Melting Aaaaaa -  Discover & Share GIFs

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I really didn't want to say but in the spirit of fair competition, it seems this years prime PPD project is Cancer.

image.thumb.png.5963a9ea040c113071242f32396f9bba.png

Really wouldn't hurt if we cured Cancer while were at it.

Woahhhhhh, but I'd be out of a job. Oh hell, I'll find something else to do with my degree. F*#& cancer! 🤣

5 minutes ago, Captainmarino said:

Woahhhhhh, but I'd be out of a job. Oh hell, I'll find something else to do with my degree. F*#& cancer! 🤣

So YOU'RE that one person people refer to when they say "Big pharma don't want to cure Cancer, its too profitable!"? 😛

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Nvidia Broadcast still makes folding take quite a hit, but I need to work 🥲

image.png.b8e3c4cf41b973e9e1c69f53fcff4e05.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Like they said, FAHClient writes the config file when you terminate the process so if you modify it while still running it will restore the old configuration when you restart the service.

Wait, but if that's the case is my new passkey even working? Do I have to stop the service/start the service to read-in the config file? A system restart isn't sufficient?

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I really didn't want to say but in the spirit of fair competition, it seems this years prime PPD project is Cancer.

image.thumb.png.5963a9ea040c113071242f32396f9bba.png

Really wouldn't hurt if we cured Cancer while were at it.

Although the Cancer WU's have greatly improved in PPD since last year!

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

On 11/5/2023 at 8:21 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

Not folding related, but I sent off a form to adopt a 17-week-old kitten that was abandoned at a cattery today! 

No description available.

They want me to meet the kitten!!!!

Just realised I'll need to buy a litter tray, bonnie goes outside and noonie did the same 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

The issue that I've encountered is that when you shut down/restart the service it seems like it writes the in-memory config to the file.  So when I shutdown/restart the service, any manual hot writes I made directly to the file gets overwritten.  It also writes to the file every time you pause/unpause a slot (paused flag is stored in the config file for slots as one of the advanced tags) as well as other general edits through the UI.  Because of this my standard procedure when setting up new machines is to install, use the UI to add/remove the slots I want (so it gets the right pci-bus and pci-slot values for GPUs), stop the service, edit the config, take a backup of the edited config, start the service.  This is how I figured out if I edit the config then stop the service my recent edits get lost (by diffing the active vs the backup config).

Edit: Should have read to the end of the thread instead of immediately responding, looks like @Alex Atkin UK already caught this.

26 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

They want me to meet the kitten!!!!

Just realised I'll need to buy a litter tray, bonnie goes outside and noonie did the same 

Thats really funny, i once had a black and white (mostly black) cat named Bonnie. I really loved her and she knew how to use door handles. I hope she gets along with the other cats and you have a good time with each other.

1 minute ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Thats really funny, i once had a black and white (mostly black) cat named Bonnie. I really loved her and she knew how to use door handles. I hope she gets along with the other cats and you have a good time with each other.

This is Bonnie inspecting my microphone delivery 

IMG_20201109_133354.jpg

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

This is Bonnie inspecting my microphone delivery 

IMG_20201109_133354.jpg

Thank God it's the XLR version of AT2020

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

2 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Thank God it's the XLR version of AT2020

Funnily enough that's exactly what she said /s 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Our current cat is the first entirely house cat we've had.  Since neither of us work shes so pandered to I found her stuck in a room this morning that the door doesn't even have a catch.  Mum had closed it not knowing she was in there and the cat is too lazy to learn how to pull open a door from the gap underneath.  She could have been in there hours.

I neglected to take a picture, because I had other concerns, but I do have a brief story time to share now.

My server was mysteriously completely turned off this morning. I took the side panel off, and I found that some of the motherboard screws had completely fallen out. I assume one of them caused a temporary short, and prompted the shutdown. Thankfully, nothing seems to have been actually harmed, I reinstalled them, tightened up all the remaining ones because they were also loose, and it booted right back up just fine.

It took me a little while to piece together what could have caused it, given that I haven't changed much about the hardware itself in quite some time, but I'm pretty sure I've got it after a little testing: I ran laundry overnight.

I live in a reasonably small apartment, with in-unit laundry. I don't have a lot of places to put the server, so it's currently against the wall of the closet that the washer and dryer are in. I tried putting a ball on top of the server, and when running the washer, the vibrations carried through the floor enough to immediately roll the ball right off the top, even though they aren't particularly strong at the base. It was specifically the top three motherboard screws that fell out completely. I think the vibrations have been slowly shaking all the screws in the machine loose over the course of the last year.

Running my laundry overnight nearly shook my server to death. Needless to say, I'll be moving it now. And tightening every screw in the machine.

12 minutes ago, Baha said:

Running my laundry overnight nearly shook my server to death. Needless to say, I'll be moving it now. And tightening every screw in the machine.

Vibrations can be really deadly for electronics. Thats why, for example, in PA loudspeakers every electronic component on the crossover needs to either be glued on or really well bolted down. If you don`t do that properly, they over time will just fall off or break apart.

14 minutes ago, Baha said:

I... Running my laundry overnight nearly shook my server to death. Needless to say, I'll be moving it now. And tightening every screw in the machine.

or procure some Loctite Threadlocker 242 Blue.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

This is a good shout! If I can't just find another good spot to put it I'll have to do that. My thought process is somewhat that -- if there are strong enough vibrations to shake screws loose, I'm probably not doing great things to the health of the bulk storage drives in the machine. They're enterprise drives with vibration sensors, which should theoretically help to some extent, but if I can find another spot for the bulky thing that'd be the better option.

6 hours ago, HoldSquat said:

Hows the Pi doing? About to start up this bad boy384543504_711496684186419_2321910990637110791_n.thumb.jpg.b047489bb79a549b74122de0f21b8de3.jpg

It's doing pretty good for a small little thing. 

The day has finally come. Power costs just too much to run my systems at home. This months projected power bill is almost 850 euros...

So i moved my main F@H box to the Datacenter!

IMG-20231107-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.34e3a3d421035deb68fc57eeef0aa50f.jpeg

now with the added benefit of fans that can run on 100% and uncapped powerbudgets 😀