See ya Windows Mail

thealmightyderpybird

Summary

Microsoft has announced that they will be replacing the Windows Mail and Calendar apps with a new Outlook for Windows app. This will also replace the Outlook from Microsoft Office.

Screenshot2023-08-16181854-edit-20230821070910.thumb.jpg.83c967064c39b5ca869afd5a7b2f77d9.jpg

Outlook-Spring_8-1024x577.thumb.jpg.125b1393c0fad4f126d4abedf0955214.jpg

Quotes

Beginning in 2024, new Windows 11 devices will be shipped with the new Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application free for all to use. The Mail and Calendar applications will continue to be available via download in the Microsoft Store through the end of 2024. 

My thoughts

This is concerning the mail client that virtually nobody uses, and now it's being phased out.

Sources

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-for-windows-the-future-of-mail-calendar-and-people-on-windows-11-715fc27c-e0f4-4652-9174-47faa751b199

4 minutes ago, thealmightyderpybird said:

virtually nobody uses

I wish that was the case. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I used it for a bit back on Windows 10 and it was pretty bad. The only cool thing about it was that your calendar items for the day would be displayed on the little flyout thing when you click on the clock in your taskbar.

However, it seems they removed that with Windows 11. Would be cool to see this coming back with the new Outlook someday. Or even better as an API developers and third-party email clients can also utilize.

1 hour ago, thealmightyderpybird said:

virtually nobody uses

Dang guess I am virtually nobody 😔

Spoiler

It's pretty flipping buggy tho, like it just won't send emails a lot of the time 😂

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

And the desktop app as a skin of the web version (which is what this is) sucks ass!!

You can't even have a calendar show up full time like in the current Outlook 365 client -.-*

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, sparkman said:

It's about time. The stock mail app is terrible.

works #1 for me. No bug no issue, low ram usage, responsive

1 minute ago, Franck said:

works #1 for me. No bug no issue, low ram usage, responsive

I was using it but suddenly it picked up phantom messages from couple of my accounts.

And by phantom messages I mean messages that are long deleted but showed up on the client and I could not delete them again.

That is why I am now using Betterbird.

But not gonna lie - if "new" Outlook is good I might change again.

Yes, I know I am "virtually" weird 😛

Sometimes, this reminds me why I own a Mac, the new outlook looks awful plus (the new version may fix this) but why in hell doesn't outlook for windows have an "All Accounts" inbox, sent etc like Mac OS's version has?

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

So goodbye Windows Mail, we will all miss you 😥

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

I just hope they're not going to make Outlook any worse. I need it for work, but would rather use GMail. Nothing beats GMail. 

Any way to force the new Outlook? I've just reinstalled Windows on my laptop and I don't have the "New Outlook" button, it seems.

EDIT: Is this different from the macOS version? 

🙂

This should've been the case since day one. 
Why did they ever even need to make some random mail app, when they literally have a mail client called Outlook.

We have Outlook on Android, there was no reason not to have it on Windows.

Though personally I still use thunderbird with a few extensions to make it "good".

Boots with windows, is always open in the systray, etc... That way I don't have to keep opening it manually to check my emails, I get them as they come. You'd think that would be a built-in feature...

Spoiler

image.png.8b7c53ad4ab45197e4df698d9f156eff.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I used windows mail and Outlook to separate the email accounts used from my throw away accounts. Now it's all just one snotty mess 🤪 Could never get to grips with thunderbird though

Did hell just freeze over?! MS Outlook is the gold standard as an email client. Normally you had to pay extra for the client, and now it's free? I have no doubt the M365 pricing will be shifted over to the mailbox to offset the client app pricing paradigm; at least this will be of interest to watch for.

6 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

very based assuming it is outlook as we have it now.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Did hell just freeze over?! MS Outlook is the gold standard as an email client. Normally you had to pay extra for the client, and now it's free?

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

This should've been the case since day one. 
Why did they ever even need to make some random mail app, when they literally have a mail client called Outlook.

We have Outlook on Android, there was no reason not to have it on Windows.

I am pretty sure this is not the Outlook you are all thinking of. This seems to be a newly developed program that for some reason is also called Outlook. 

It's based on the web app that runs outlook.com. 

But I don't think including Outlook, the fully fledged client, as the default email app in Windows would be a good idea. That program is far too bloated and heavy for most users. 

5 hours ago, sparkman said:

It's about time. The stock mail app is terrible.

I'd argue the new app is even worse than the old one, sadly. 

Last time I tried this new app, or leaked features like:

Downloading attachments to any folder other than "downloads". 

I am fairly sure it couldn't store emails offline (or maybe that was the PWA version). 

It had a bunch of ads in it. The ads were designed to look like emails inside your inbox. 

If recall correctly, the new app doesn't support POP3 and IMAP. It uses web APIs to access the mail boxes instead and as a result, you are limited to basically just two providers, Gmail and Outlook. Last time I used it, I want able to add a regular email using IMAP. 

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am pretty sure this is not the Outlook you are all thinking of.

It wouldn't be normal of Microsoft otherwise. I am convinced it's part of their doctrine to confuse the hell out of everyone. Please see Outlook vs Outlook.com. And then we have both consumer and business forks of MS Teams and Skype. And don't get me started on Defender; that name encompasses a wide range of products and services. When talking about "Defender", you have to be very specific.

Y'all keep in mind the outlook that is replacing it, is the new outlook that more or less emulates the web experience. 

At least sort of. It does have more features.

It may be a bit lacking right now, but I'm kind of glad they actually made something new. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Anyone know if this supports on-premise exchange? Or are they really going hard at trying to kill that off this time lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Anyone know if this supports on-premise exchange? Or are they really going hard at trying to kill that off this time lol

On-prem Exchange will be around practically forever. It's a governmental and compliance requirement for many organizations around the world, and MS knows it can't scrap it. Yes, they do have M365 for Enterprise, Education, and Gov too.

That said, if MS is going to be providing Outlook gratis, Exchange integration will still require a licensing regardless of it's on-prem or cloud.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

and MS knows it can't scrap it

They practically scrapped it, AFAIK support for it is non-existent if you have issues....

38 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

They practically scrapped it, AFAIK support for it is non-existent if you have issues....

Bullshit.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/exchange-server-roadmap-update/ba-p/3421389

"We will maintain the current support dates for Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Server 2016, and Exchange Server 2019; however, we plan to support the next version of Exchange Server beyond October 14, 2025. We are moving the next version of Exchange Server to our Modern Lifecycle Policy, which has no end of support dates. We plan on continuing to support Exchange Server as long as there is substantive market demand."